PDA

View Full Version : IGN's FERD review

Zora
11-03-2007, 06:37 AM
Bozon at his finest.... NOT. Sorry, I don't want any stinking Mii's in my Fire Emblem game.

Note: I included a list of his pros and cons at the bottom if you are too lazy to read

November 2, 2007 - As far as classic strategy games go, Fire Emblem pretty much harks back to the beginning of time. The game got its start in Japan 17 years ago on the original Famicom, and has since seen over ten iterations across Famicom, Super Famicom, GBA (the game's USA debut), DS, GameCube, and now Wii. Over the years the systems have changed, but Fire Emblem remains a stead constant, offering the most hardcore strategy gamers out there some of the deepest strategy and difficulty with the most minimal control scheme possible. It should come as no surprise, then, that Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for Nintendo Wii does very little to change a formula that's been around for nearly two decades. The involving story is still there, the classic turn-based strategy originating on Famicom Wars (the 19 year old inspiration for Advance Wars) is at large once again, and players of a whole new generation have a chance to experience exactly what Fire Emblem is all about.

What you won't get with Fire Emblem, however, is any motion control or IR experience. There's no Mii integration, no online, no waggle, and no IR aiming. It is what it is, and Fire Emblem plays identical to its GameCube counterpart, who in turn still drew inspiration from the very beginning nearly two decades ago. The downside to that? Fire Emblem inherently feels like a GameCube title, with nearly identical interface, style, graphics, audio (or lack of), pacing, and general appearance, so while the game may come in a white box and burned onto a DVD, it's about as far from a traditional Wii experience as you can get. In fact, chances are if you already know you want this game before reading our review, as Fire Emblem hits a very specific, mature, traditional crowd.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel to last generation's Path of Radiance on GameCube. Players will eventually take control of nearly every character from the last game, work within the same world, but now see a totally different side of the story. After the defeat of Mad King Ashnard three years ago, the country of Daein is now falling to pieces, as a corrupt government strives to keep control over a public body that is now thrown into chaos. As an odd move for Radiant Dawn, players are actually assuming the role of members of Daein, previously the enemy in Path of Radiance. Taking control of a group called the Dawn Brigade - a medieval Rebel Alliance, if you will - players will scour the countryside in search for allies, aiming to take down the corrupt leadership that has - and continues - to plague Daein. And while this is a 100% sequel to the last game, players that haven't had a chance to pick up Path of Radiance for GameCube won't be left in the dust, as you'll get tons of backstory, character reintroduction, and an all new story. Basically if you just read the preceding paragraph, you're already good to go. Corrupt government, group of rebels, you with a controller… go.

Battle movement and strategy revolves around the same staples the series has since the beginning, with all control being done turn-based around a huge grid. As with Advance Wars, each unit has different attack abilities, movement space, and ranged or local attacks. What will come to a surprise for many, however, is that this is a game that embraces "permadeath", so any unit that falls in battle is gone, and gone forever. This means you'll either need to plan ahead, or restart battles often if you want to make it through the game. We've got absolutely no problem wit the game's difficulty or traditional rules, as it's exactly how Fire Emblem has been for years and years; just know what you're getting into.

It's not all wonderful nostalgia and flawless packaging though, as there are a few things Fire Emblem is definitely missing, and they can be very, very annoying. For starters 99% of the storytelling in the game is done with static drawings placed over a painted background. When characters interact, text scrolls by with no VO to be had. There are sections in the game - many more this time around than on GameCube - that launch FMV sequences which of course support full voice acting, and the actors this time around do a wonderful job; it's just a shame they couldn't be used for the entirety of the story. What you end up getting is an experience nearly identical to what you could see on Nintendo DS, minus the FMV work, and it's one that Nintendo seems to have no intention on improving. In fact, the general amount of animation in the game is extremely small, with short scripted sequences launching whenever attacks are initiated, but the majority of the game working with sliding pieces and very simple animations on tiny, low-poly characters. If you pick this one up, you better be in it for the gameplay, as the overall presentation - both audio and visual - is astonishingly simple.

Still, for those looking for amazing tactical play, this is the best you're going to find on Wii thus far, and possibly for the majority of the system's life. The list of skills, items, options, and possibilities in creating your team is seemingly endless, even allowing for members to tag up and boost each other's effectiveness by teaming skills with each other. You can create weapons in forge mode (included on GameCube as well), which lets you take literally any weapon in the game and boost specific stats, color them, and rename the item as you see fit, though you'll end up paying through the nose to do it. To add to the game's replay ability (and overall strategy), characters level up, but increase stats randomly, so you can't just boost a group of characters and expect to rip through the game because of it. For those that have a GameCube memory card with Path of Radiance saved to it, there's even an option to move specific players over to the Wii version, or at the very least boot another member's stats based on your progress on Cube. Fire Emblem isn't much to look at, but it's easily the best tactical experience you'll find on Wii, and a hardcore gamer's wet dream.

Closing Comments
To call Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn a Wii game is to take the meaning of that statement as literal as possible. Yes, it runs on Wii, comes in a cute white box, and you’ll pay $49.99 for it. From there, however, the experience is anything but Wii-like, as the game uses no motion, no IR, no Mii integration, and no online. While some gamers will scoff at this fact, diehard Fire Emblem fans already understand the choice made by Nintendo, as the series hasn’t needed to change in nearly 20 years, and shouldn’t be expected to now. The game supports Wii-mote control in classic NES-style, the GameCube controller, and the Classic Controller, so no matter what your setup you can still dive into one of the deepest, mature, and traditionally rooted titles on Nintendo consoles.

What you’ll miss, however, is any sort of upgrade from the GameCube version which is on sale for $20 new. Radiant Dawn is a direct sequel to the Cube’s Path of Radiance, and as such looks, acts, and feels identical. You’ll still get very little VO, minimal animation overall, GameCube graphics, and extremely simply storytelling that makes use of only a backdrop and some character art. Why the production value in Fire Emblem has yet to be completely overhauled is beyond us, but apparently someone at Nintendo things traditional games need to not only play like a game two decades old, but also look similar as well. If you’re looking for an entertaining, challenging, traditional strategy game, look no further, as Fire Emblem is as good as it gets. Just don’t expect anything more than GameCube presentation, visuals, and control for $50.

4.0 Presentation
Aside from some FMV work, there’s nothing here above what was done on GBA or DS. Basic menus, tons of text, simple backdrops, and not much more than some portrait art to tell the story.

6.0 Graphics
16:9 was included for the USA release, and 480p is a nice touch – for a game that is identical to GameCube in almost every way. Battle animations are improved a bit though.

7.5 Sound
No orchestration, very little VO, and a virtually unchanged experience from Cube’s effort. The music is still impressive, but it’s all midi.

8.0 Gameplay
No Wii functionality, but really no need. It’s a classic design, and it plays as such. It's a great tactical experience, still smooth and quick, and still entertaining.

8.0 Lasting Appeal
Well over 50 hours, random stat evolution during level ups, GCN data transfer, but no online or multiplayer elements to be had.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

IGN: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Review (http://wii.ign.com/articles/832/832368p1.html)

For those of you too lazy to read, Bozon for the most part points out the flaws, rarely pointing out the pros. To basically sum up his complaints (and yes, the Mii thing is NOT a joke):
-No Motion controls
-No Mii Immigration
-Feels too similiar to Path of Radiance
-No Online
-Few FMV's
-Mostly Text
-Story was underdeveloped (although, people fimiliar with FERD beg to differ)
-Last Gen Graphics
-Poor Porduction Values
-No Voice Acting

The few pros that he mentions:
-Best TRPG on the Wii so far (no dur, it is the only one so far), and likely remain the best on the Wii
-50 hour RPG, WITH POTENTIAL FOR REPLAY VALUE
-Challenging
-No need for Wii functionality*
-"Still Entertaining"

He also says it is traditional, but changes between using that as a pro or a con.

Note: Although Bozon commented on the production values of the audio, he barely mentions the actual soundtrack. As far as I can tell, who could care less at who generic or original it is, as long as it is ochreastrated and "next gen" (as far as that goes for the Wii), he is happy.

Moreover, he doesn't bother talking about how well-written the text is and does not once metion the characters, both which change the plot drammitically. Basically, when it comes to story, music, and graphics, he only cares about production values. Graphics is understandable, since if no styling is involved (IE cel-shading), it relies 100% on production values. Story and audio do not.

So ya discuss. Do you agree with Bozon? Do you think this review was pretty bad (I thought it was, he kept repeating himself and half of his complaints were irrational), etc.

*Although he made this statement, he is being a hypocrite since he constantly complaint about it not being "current/next gen."

Markus. D
11-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Yeah. I agree with most of your points there :]

Skyblade
11-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Your first sentence scared me. I thought you were saying that there was going to be Mii immigration, and that the reviewer liked it and you disagreed with it. That would be...depressing, and the quickest way to ruin a good game I could imagine. I'm really, really happy that they didn't do that.

JKTrix
11-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I think what most folks in the media have a problem with is that there isn't much to Radiant Dawn that warrants it being on the Wii. If it wasn't for the FMVs, the game could have been exactly the same on the GBA or DS (much less just releasing it on a Gamecube disc). I think that's what he may have been talking about about it not being 'next gen'. Though he does say:

While some gamers will scoff at this fact, diehard Fire Emblem fans already understand the choice made by Nintendo, as the series hasn’t needed to change in nearly 20 years, and shouldn’t be expected to now.

In all, the game still got an 8, which I guess is good if you pay attention to numbers.

KentaRawr!
11-05-2007, 08:39 PM
You really didn't have to show so much emphasis on the Mii thing. He was just saying it differs from other Wii games, which almost always at least use a Mii for a Save Icon, which this game does not, and is one factor which separates it from other Wii games.

In fact, I must say I overall agree with his review. The series really does need a nice push forward in some regards. So long as the core of the game is pretty much the same, I don't think many hard-core fans would really have any problem with that. That's not to say the game itself is a bad experience, quite clearly, as it got an 8. It was just rather note-worthy that the game is very, very, old-ish.

XxSephirothxX
11-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I thought it was pretty fair. It was scored fairly well, and is obviously a competent game in its genre, but is obviously quite archaic in its presentation. Not having Wii controls or online play or anything a new console has to offer doesn't make it bad, it simply means there's a hell of a lot more that could be done, and eventually the same old same old won't cut it.

You'd pay $50 dollars for a SNES game back when they were new; they're obviously not worth that now. And when the game offers almost nothing fresh from its far-cheaper prequel, it's a valid complaint. I'll probably still play it because I find the games fun, but the text conversations and static character images are usually pretty stiff, and while the game is still good as it is, it could be a hell of a lot better if they wanted it to be.

Skyblade
11-06-2007, 01:14 AM
You really didn't have to show so much emphasis on the Mii thing. He was just saying it differs from other Wii games, which almost always at least use a Mii for a Save Icon, which this game does not, and is one factor which separates it from other Wii games.

Which I hate. Games haven't needed personalized save icons for years. Why would that need to change now? I don't want to have to replay all my games everytime I decide I don't like my Mii, and I don't want to have to spend a bunch of time customizing a stupid icon in order to be able to save my game. Just let me save, give it a save number, and move on.

Zora
11-06-2007, 05:10 AM
I thought it was pretty fair. It was scored fairly well, and is obviously a competent game in its genre, but is obviously quite archaic in its presentation. Not having Wii controls or online play or anything a new console has to offer doesn't make it bad, it simply means there's a hell of a lot more that could be done, and eventually the same old same old won't cut it.

Except for the fact motion controls will be so sluggish no one would use them except people who REALLY hate pushing buttons. Multiplayer has never worked well with FE. Adding online play to it would be a complete gimmick.

Unless they offer team-on-team battles, but the community will die fast on that, and the money needed for online (FE probably has a strict budget, consider its mey sales) wouldn't be worth it. Plus, consider how the game works, lag would be a killer. It would takes too much time and money to make a online that isn't gimmicky, and before you know it the money sucked out of the budget makes the single-player a lot worse. ANd that STILL doesn't change the fact a few people would play it. Believe me, I would rather have a longer single-player than an online mode that will be broken one way or another.

KentaRawr!
11-06-2007, 09:19 AM

Which I hate. Games haven't needed personalized save icons for years. Why would that need to change now? I don't want to have to replay all my games everytime I decide I don't like my Mii, and I don't want to have to spend a bunch of time customizing a stupid icon in order to be able to save my game. Just let me save, give it a save number, and move on.

If you don't want to customize it, then don't! It's just a save icon, for goodness sake. You can just choose some pre-made icon if you don't care about them at all. And also, it doesn't matter if you hate it or not in this case, as the reviewer only stated that not having a Mii save icon separated it from other games. Calm the fuck down.

JKTrix
11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Except for the fact motion controls will be so sluggish...consider how the game works, lag would be a killer...

I'm not concerned with the rest of this post, as it's valid opinion (though a little hard to follow. What's 'mey sales'?). However, the highlighted part I feel is a pretty weak argument.

Fire Emblem is a grid style turn-based strategy game, right? So things like 'sluggish controls' and 'internet lag' is irrelevant. The game itself is slow, so the input/output methods don't need to be blazing fast. I don't agree with the 'sluggish control' bit at all. All you would really be doing is pointing at a grid, menu item or map location and pressing 'A'. I think if they had the option of having pointer controls, whether or not people would use it, it may have been a little more acceptable.

That said, I don't mind that FE doesn't have multiplayer either. Turn based games generally aren't my thing, but especially with the style of Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre and Advance Wars, multiplayer can become a *drag*. One player does the individual actions of their entire team while the other player waits for them to finish. And it keeps going. Particularly if you (or your opponent) is someone who likes to check the stats of everything for everyone for every turn, it will take forever.

On a portable system it's a little more bearable, as it's easier to do something else while waiting for your turn. I look forward to AdvWars Days of Ruin which will have Wifi, and potentially the upcoming DS remake of Fire Emblem which may have WiFi. But I'm content with 'FERD' not having multiplayer elements.

Elite Lord Sigma
11-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Except for the fact motion controls will be so sluggish...consider how the game works, lag would be a killer...

I'm not concerned with the rest of this post, as it's valid opinion (though a little hard to follow. What's 'mey sales'?). However, the highlighted part I feel is a pretty weak argument.

Fire Emblem is a grid style turn-based strategy game, right? So things like 'sluggish controls' and 'internet lag' is irrelevant. The game itself is slow, so the input/output methods don't need to be blazing fast. I don't agree with the 'sluggish control' bit at all. All you would really be doing is pointing at a grid, menu item or map location and pressing 'A'. I think if they had the option of having pointer controls, whether or not people would use it, it may have been a little more acceptable.

That said, I don't mind that FE doesn't have multiplayer either. Turn based games generally aren't my thing, but especially with the style of Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre and Advance Wars, multiplayer can become a *drag*. One player does the individual actions of their entire team while the other player waits for them to finish. And it keeps going. Particularly if you (or your opponent) is someone who likes to check the stats of everything for everyone for every turn, it will take forever.

On a portable system it's a little more bearable, as it's easier to do something else while waiting for your turn. I look forward to AdvWars Days of Ruin which will have Wifi, and potentially the upcoming DS remake of Fire Emblem which may have WiFi. But I'm content with 'FERD' not having multiplayer elements.

The main reason I believe pointing wasn't implemented in Radiant Dawn is this fact. Sure, Normal mode is not that difficult, but when you're playing Hard or Maniac (if they have that in the English release, I don't know), one mistake can potentially ruin the entire chapter and force you to restart. Adding pointing would just make mistakes more likely to happen and would make choosing options far too cumbersome and slow. Why should I point at what I want to do when I can do it twice as quickly with a standard GameCube controller?

Also, shaking and waggling aren't in the game for good reason, too. Honestly, there is no way they could implement it into the game. At least, not without making it seem like gimmicky crap. There's a difference between a brilliant idea (Twilight Princess, Mario Party 8, and shooters, for instance) and a gimmick, and Radiant Dawn would most likely fall into the latter category.

Zora
11-09-2007, 01:19 AM

The main reason I believe pointing wasn't implemented in Radiant Dawn is this fact. Sure, Normal mode is not that difficult, but when you're playing Hard or Maniac (if they have that in the English release, I don't know), one mistake can potentially ruin the entire chapter and force you to restart. Adding pointing would just make mistakes more likely to happen and would make choosing options far too cumbersome and slow. Why should I point at what I want to do when I can do it twice as quickly with a standard GameCube controller?

It may be trivial, but FERD is HARD on normal mode. One fatal mistake can kill you. God, chapter 6 is so hard.

Anyways, I will say one thing, although it technically has the same mechanics as PoR, it doesn't feel like PoR. The movement, although has no directe effect on gameplay, makes the game look and feel different. The good environments also do this, plus the mostly unfimiliar cast of characters (I have only seen five old ones out of like twenty). The story however feels a bit similiar, instead of Crimea going against Daein, it is Daein rebeling against Begnion.

What makes it most interesting is the difficulty. Before you really didn't have a lot of trouble (unless on hard or maniac). This game, at least on normal, you need to have good strategy. The game always throws things at you to make it more hard. For example, in chapter 6 stage 2, you need to go help Fiona (or else she dies) at the same time protect your units. Actually, just to get through chapter 6 you NEED to use your prepromoted units (Sothe, that white armored dude, and Zihark).

It doesn't feel the same. The game is way harder than the previous three installments (chapter 6 is so freakin annoying), and does not feel the same. Perhaps later it will, but right now it feels different enough.

JKTrix
11-09-2007, 12:15 PM
However, and this is the major thing that has me interested in FERD, you can actually save in battles now. Personally my biggest issue with the FE series prior is the whole 'permanent death' thing. Sure it forces you to use strategy which I don't have a problem with, but when unexpected things happen it got really annoying. I don't like to lose characters, and I don't like wasting 45 minutes of gameplay by having to restart a level because someone minor was killed.

At least with this one I can save once in a while so if someone *is* killed I don't have to lose as much time.

Hard Mode still has the 'no save' thing going for you FE fans.

Zora
11-10-2007, 03:18 AM
However, and this is the major thing that has me interested in FERD, you can actually save in battles now. Personally my biggest issue with the FE series prior is the whole 'permanent death' thing. Sure it forces you to use strategy which I don't have a problem with, but when unexpected things happen it got really annoying. I don't like to lose characters, and I don't like wasting 45 minutes of gameplay by having to restart a level because someone minor was killed.

At least with this one I can save once in a while so if someone *is* killed I don't have to lose as much time.

Hard Mode still has the 'no save' thing going for you FE fans.

I don't use that feature most of the time. I used in chapter 9 because that chapter is built around Trial and Error...

Stupid Miciah. Stop dying.