PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Or Sephiroth? (Spoilers)

Forsaken Lover
11-03-2007, 07:17 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/Nik_TehPimpXor/Genesis.jpg

CONTAINS CRISIS CORE SPOILERS

Which do you think is a better antagonist?

I'd say Genesis though he isn't much of one towards the end. He's simply got more depth to him than Sephiroth. His motives makes a lot more sense as well. He doesn't desire godhood. he desires self-preservation and to be a hero. He's f ailure and his existence is, literally, pointless. So he aspires to be like...Sephiroth. But he can't be. So he's smart. He hates hwo composed Seph is. how heroic and famous he is. So Genesis leads to Sephiroth's fall from grace. He's no longer a hero. He's no longer smug and collected. Genesis helped drive Seph into a bonkers villainous rampage. Nice.

Genesis' longing to be with the Goddess, his wanting to save himself and find meaning in his being as a hero is just more reasonable than Sephiroth wanting to kill everyone for no reason. (as of five years after he was droppe din the reactor) G's poetic nature and plight just resound more than "take the Planet back for the alien being I know isn't my mother and then since I want to be with her always, sending her body to be mutilated"

Amd that's my view. Yours?

Mr Cactuar
11-03-2007, 07:49 AM
I haven't played Crisis Core at all and probably won't, but Sephiroths character design :skull::skull::skull::skull:s all over this Genesis guy.

Sephiroth was crazy with rage and hatred, thats why he had 'crazy' motives.

Godhand
11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Sephiroth's development as a villain requires reading more heavily into things than most gamers will do, and isn't helped by the horrid translation. Without information from the Ultimania (is that the name?) guide, most people will not have a complete picture of it or even a full understanding of what's going on story-wise. I mean, how many people at the time actually understood what Reunion was or how Cloud was being controlled? I know I didn't, though in my defense my first playthrough was done when I was 10. Regardless, VII's story was terribly mismanaged.

Genesis is better handled and seems more rounded because Square(-Enix) has gotten better at story writing. Sephiroth, as a villain, is just more compelling to a lot of people for the same reason Darth Vader is: nostalgia.