PDA

View Full Version : Another New Job revealed. This time it's a Scholar

Crossblades
11-03-2007, 06:14 PM
Osaka Altana Festival - FFXIclopedia - a Wikia wiki (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Altana_Festival)

The scholar is well versed in white and black magic, and in addition has Scholar-specific white and black magic. It is not a copy of the Red Mage who uses all sorts of magic; instead, this job combines certain job abilities with the casting of magic. In addition, different mage support jobs will have a significant effect on the usefulness of the Scholar.

By the way, there are no times use books as weapons.
Firstly, there are several abilities which are the basis the actions, "Grimoire of white" and "the Grimoire of black". This is similar to the Samurai ability Hasso and Seigan, as for the scholar himself white magic is proud state and the black magic whose While changing proud state, it means to act.

Because effective time of ability itself is unlimited, the image which has always been put in either state.
When using Grimoire of white, recast time of white magic becomes short, and consumption of MP somewhat decreases. In addition, recovery/holy/strengthening skill to be raised totally, furthermore just in Grimoire of white active ability enabled. On the other hand, black magic MP consumption increases, recast time becomes long, but changing between white and black magic abilities is easy, so one must select which ability to use according to circumstances.

When Grimoire of black is used with scholar as a support job, a bonus is added to black magic. With these mechanisms, it reaches the point which was many a thing where the ground pill and the absorption quantity of the drain increase even with the white mage, the resist are done to the enemy with respect to case and can utilize also para is and so on magic sufficiently.

The scholar has the ability in order to manage magic skillfully mainly. Only in Grimoire of white and black the ability which can be used is a plural, but these have shared reuse interval. Also fulfillment of contract of the summons loyal retainer has shared reuse interval in the same way, but in case of the scholar there is a mechanism which saves this recast. For example, assuming that recast had the ability of 4 parts, when if 1 time you use, 4 minutes it does not wait normal ability, you cannot use the next, but in case of the scholar because recast can be saved up to maximum of 3, continuing ability, 3 times to use, also kind of it is possible.

Scholar specific magic: "The magic which gives" the magic the powerful slip damage which "changes the weather of the party member of the object" Changes the weather as for the magic which was seen the eye which changes is not the case that, but the actual weather how that, due to this magic the weather takes precedence. Not only on-target hit ratio and the damage of magic, are not moved also it is possible with only the weather of specification to move the effect of the arms which.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/600px-Scholar.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/600px-Osaka_Scholar_2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/600px-Osaka_Scholar_1.jpg

Look! You also can invite players into your Mog House! =)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/600px-Osaka_Mog_House.jpg

No.78
11-04-2007, 12:38 AM
:bigsmile:

They also revealed some new Dancer shiz, and it ain't ladies onry. =) Thats probably already been said but just incase.

I can't wait for this goddamn expansion!

Del Murder
11-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Also it appears that the gobbie bag will be increased to 70 items.

nozkits
11-04-2007, 12:59 AM

Yea I'm not going back to that evil game!!!!

Rostum
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Very interesting idea, but the AF looks awful...

Party in Del's mog house!

Del Murder
11-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I'm a taru, you all can't fit in my house.

chionos
11-04-2007, 04:37 AM
WotG in general almost makes one regret having quit. Almost.

Germ Hamee
11-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I want that hat on my Tarutaru.

Guess I'm going to have to start playing again. The question is should I stay in my current server, or transfer out? Hmm...

Miriel
11-04-2007, 11:23 AM
I think both the dancer and scholar outfits look cute on females and wretched on males. My god, how horrible dancer looks on males.

I wouldn't mind having the school girl outfit. :p

And yay, now a REAL reason to make your mog house look pretty. :D

Markus. D
11-04-2007, 12:07 PM
omg the female scholar AF is Kawaii xD...

The whole Grimoire system sounds interesting enough ^^~

Ouch!
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Scholar was introduced originally in FFIII, right? I wonder if this means that some time in the future we might see Viking as a possibility. Perhaps Viking might be configured as another option to fulfill the role of tank. It's certainly about time we get some more options to fulfill that role.

Rostum
11-05-2007, 02:13 AM
I think both the dancer and scholar outfits look cute on females and wretched on males. My god, how horrible dancer looks on males.

I wouldn't mind having the school girl outfit. :p

And yay, now a REAL reason to make your mog house look pretty. :D

What part of this don't you just LOVE?!

http://images.wikia.com/ffxi/images/a/aa/Hume_Dancer-Osaka.jpg

...XD

Miriel
11-05-2007, 04:08 AM
He has a flower on his head. A flower. On his head!

Ouch!
11-05-2007, 05:13 AM
I think he looks hawt.

Del Murder
11-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Scholar was introduced originally in FFIII, right? I wonder if this means that some time in the future we might see Viking as a possibility. Perhaps Viking might be configured as another option to fulfill the role of tank. It's certainly about time we get some more options to fulfill that role.
Vikings used axes and their special ability was Provoke. Sound like any other familiar job...

I've not played this game for very long. Can someone please tell me why WAR isn't a good option for tank?

Ouch!
11-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Vikings used axes and their special ability was Provoke. Sound like any other familiar job...

I've not played this game for very long. Can someone please tell me why WAR isn't a good option for tank?
Because people are stupid.

Roogle
11-05-2007, 05:59 AM
Does anyone have any information about this job class from a translated source? The opening post only contains garbled text from Babelfish.

Rostum
11-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Most warriors would rather the idea of dual-wielding axes and swords, or two-handed weapons of mass destruction! I know I do as a warrior (but that's because I am a paladin as well). I guess if you load up on heaps of enmity gear (which is not hard for a warrior to do, most of it is in their artefact armour), and sported a shield then it can be easily done.

Though, most people will only invite the stereotypical tanks to do the job. Such as Paladin and Ninja.

Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Does anyone have any information about this job class from a translated source? The opening post only contains garbled text from Babelfish.

Well, here's (http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/news-ffxi/68993-scholar-history-5-nov-07-a.html) a bit. There's probably more around that website.

Ultimage
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Here (http://bluegartrls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25552&st=0&sk=t&sd=a) is a good source for some info on Scholar. I think the only thing that doesn't mention is that they will get an ability that lets them turn some spells into AoE (Gravity turned into Graviga was the example I saw).

Ouch!
11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
I so want to sub scholar to RDM. That's gonna be clutch. <3

Ultimage
11-08-2007, 05:30 AM
That's the same way I feel. RDM/SCH seems interesting.

Ouch!
11-08-2007, 05:40 AM
I suppose its effectiveness really depends on how readily one is able to switch between black and white grimoires. I mean, in my experience way-back-when, I was generally relegated to either the main healer or pseudo-nuker in the party, so grimoire switches for such purposes would definitely be limited. However, either way the RDM always ends up trying to land enfeebles. Hopefully the stacking of the JAs will allow the switches to be frequent enough that the effectiveness of certain enfeebles don't take heavy penalties because you can't switch to the appropriate grimoire.

Ultimage
11-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Black Grimoire will boost enfeebling skill, so we won't have to switch between grimoires for different spells. We know this because in the info in the link I posted before, it said that Black grimoire could be used to help a WHM stick Paralyze and use Drain/Aspir more effectively when subbing Scholar (this also leads me to believe Scholar will have access to those two spells).

Markus. D
11-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Scholar can be the new Tank~ :3

Yeargdribble
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
The reason WAR sucks as tank is because development has left them there.

First there were NINs starting to tank and blink tanking was all the rage because it was the safest way to go. PLDs got butthurt and cried. SE buffed the crap out of them consistently and now they are decent, but still go /NIN half the time and use other enmity generating moves to keep hate while being able to not only take hits, heal themselves, etc., but also blink away a good portion of damage.

The problem with WARs now (and for a while) is that when NIN showed up on the scene, SE went with it. They ramped up the difficulty on newer "endgame" content. It began to almost require blink tanking. They tried to balance it with a few things that can't be blinked very well (Jailer of Faith comes to mind), but they still really need uber blood tanks... and there's no better pure blood tank than PLD.

WAR doesn't have the evasion to get the most out of /NIN, doesn't have the healing or Def of a PLD, and unlike PLD (and NIN for the most part) can put out big numbers in damage. So WAR is just better at damage because of the way the game got designed after NINs showed up on the tanking scene and PLDs got all buff.

MNK suffers in much the same way. They have even worse Def even though they have a ton of HP. FFXI just doesn't do well with blood tanks in general and SE doesn't even pretend to try to make WAR a viable tank now considering how incredibly better PLD is at generating and holding hate on top of everything else.

Ultimage
11-17-2007, 07:57 AM
I played both DNC and SCH today. SCH was very interesting. With Light Arts up, the cost of Cure IV was 80 mp instead of 88, but with Dark Arts up, the cost was 106 mp. Also, the abilities that let you cast a single target spell as an AoE spell double the casting time and triple the mp cost. They got access to Regen II, but not Dia II or Bio II (Note: the characters we got to play with were level 60). Before today, I was looking forward to SCH the most, but now, I want to play DNC again. DNCs even get a movement speed + dance and an AoE Sneak and Invis dance.