PDA

View Full Version : PARADOX

Lawr
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Don't move this please.

No matter how or where you station it, naturally, a duck's quack does not make an echo. :)
---
True
False

I already know the answer, but do you? Discuss.

rubah
11-04-2007, 01:17 AM
well, it wouldn't make an echo in space, so I guess if this is a binary choice, I'm going to have to go with true.

Shoeberto
11-04-2007, 01:25 AM
I think this was tested on Mythbusters and they proved it true - a duck's quack just doesn't echo. I can't remember if scientists isolated exactly why, though I'd assume it has to do with the nature of the sound waves of their quacks.

blackmage_nuke
11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
Well if it's stationed next to a microphone which is attached to a speaker with a slight delay in playback, then it's almost an echo

But on a more nonidiotic note, i think that even if you cant hear a ducks echo, it is still there

Captain Maxx Power
11-04-2007, 01:05 AM
It's false. Nearly any sound wave of sufficient volume will echo against a solid surface.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Well if it's stationed next to a microphone which is attached to a speaker with a slight delay in playback, then it's almost an echo

But on a more nonidiotic note, i think that even if you cant hear a ducks echo, it is still there

They have equipment that would be able to detect an echo in frequencies above and bellow that of the human ear.

As far as I remember, it does not echo.

o_O
11-04-2007, 02:59 AM
Why wouldn't a duck's quack echo? There's no reason that it wouldn't reflect off of a surface, since it's a regular sound wave just like any other. The quack has a decaying waveform, which makes it hard to discern where the quack ends and the echo begins.

The only way that the duck could avoid generating an audible echo is if it chose to stand exactly on a node of the sound wave with respect to the reflection source, thereby creating a standing wave.
<a href="http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.asp">Snopes thinks a quack echoes.</a>
<a href="http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/duck/">So does the University of Salford.</a>
EDIT: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%28season_1%29#Does_a_Duck.27s_Quack_Echo.3F">So do Mythbusters</a>

:p

Denmark
11-04-2007, 05:32 AM
paradox - Definitions from Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox)

Anyway. It's true. Ducks' quacks don't echo. What is my basis for saying this? Everyone else said it.

eestlinc
11-04-2007, 05:45 AM
of course it echoes.

however, I am amused at thinking about how someone would go about testing this. It's like that Far Side cartoon where the guy realizes he is the only person who didn't bring his duck.

Shoeberto
11-04-2007, 05:54 AM
Ah, I must've misremembered that episode.

NeoTifa
11-04-2007, 06:05 AM
of course they dont echo! they are magical! if you cant hear their magical quack the first time, then you are not deserving of an echo. they shall smite you with thier awesome cuteness <3

blackmage_nuke
11-04-2007, 06:09 AM
of course they dont echo! they are magical! if you cant hear their magical quack the first time, then you are not deserving of an echo. they shall smite you with thier awesome cuteness <3
Magical? No wonder they taste so good!

NeoTifa
11-04-2007, 06:27 AM
ewwwwwwwwwww no thats inhumane!

Quindiana Jones
11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
It's true. Duck quacks don't echo.

Ashi
11-04-2007, 04:03 PM
I heard that it doesnt, but a quack itself sounds like echo to me.

Lawr
11-04-2007, 05:07 PM

I can understand that, I hear them every morning! :mad2:

Boosk
11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Great Moments in Science - Quacks Don't Echo (http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s1102602.htm)

I find it strange that someone would actually want to experiment on a duck's quack...

Quindiana Jones
11-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Scientist: "We've discovered something amazing!!!! You'll definitely want to hear this."
Person being talked to by Scientist: "OMG! You've found a cure for cancer?? You've discovered how to travel faster than light???"
Scientist: "Hell no! But we have discovered that quacks don't echo!"
PbttbS: "Bugger me sideways and call me Charlie! That is amazing!"
Scientist who actually read the article linked by Boosk: "WRONG! It's actually that the echo is such a weird echo, that is is lost in the original sound of the quack. I'm glad I wasted my time on that one."
Scientist and PbttbS: "Daym!"

I think that is what happened when the scientists discovered this incredibly piece of info.

PuPu
11-04-2007, 05:37 PM
I think they do echo, but we just can't hear it very well. It probably has something to do with the frequency and wavelengths of the quack.

escobert
11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
I think this was tested on Mythbusters and they proved it true - a duck's quack just doesn't echo. I can't remember if scientists isolated exactly why, though I'd assume it has to do with the nature of the sound waves of their quacks.

I saw that one

Ashi
11-04-2007, 06:50 PM

I can understand that, I hear them every morning! :mad2:

My family has a mallard that lives between cats in their yard. I heard it quite often, too. :)
Except it never made me mad. ;)

o_O
11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Ah, I must've misremembered that episode.

So did I. I could've sworn they didn't bust it. :p