PDA

View Full Version : Scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary

rubah
11-04-2007, 05:55 AM
When have you been opposed (against or just going in the opposite direction of) to thousands of people?

Tonight was a Razorback home game, and coming home to my home sweet dorm I was opposed to countless thousands of people who were all trying to leave the university premises and I was trying to access them.

The main roads leading towards the mainer roads that access the interstate are all turned into one-way only superways, so Hsu and I are forced to find a way to make it into university land. Last week was a fiasco as it took twenty minutes to go about half a mile on a stretch of road 300 yards from our dorm, and another ten minutes to go twenty feet on a stretch of road 100 feet from our dorm.

Tonight was slightly better; we took an interstate exit down-wind you might say of the happenings and caught an initial red light as a solid line of headlights streamed down Wedington Drive (you can google maps it if you'd like!) as far as you can see without letting up in two lanes for several minutes, as cars from our interstate exit aligned themselves into two rough lanes on the one lane exit ramp to facilitate the leaving. Once we got a green light, it was wonderful until we got up near the road we hoped to turn onto. It was turned into one of those super bypasses, so we had to take a smaller road. And we still couldn't go the way we wanted, so we had to skirt the long way around campus, but eventually we made it, with really a lot less stress than most home game day traffic adventures. Seriously I don't think I've ever seen that many cars, let alone driving amongst them, so it was a big shock the first time it happened xD

But as I said, everyone was leaving campus, and only a few of us diehards were trying desperately to gain entrance to it. It's kinda mean of them to block off our routes, but it's understandable.

It's also easy to see how riots get started at big college towns (Fayetteville is a large town for Arkansas, but I don't pretend to consider it a big town in terms of the whole United States) when you have that many people so close together.

eestlinc
11-04-2007, 05:58 AM
It was pretty crazy getting out of the main venue at Bonnaroo after the Radiohead concert in 2006. I wasn't exactly going against the crowd, but I was trying to go more quickly.

Rianoa
11-04-2007, 04:17 PM
its like that in london you seem to be the only one going the oposite way parting the croud

I Don't Need A Name
11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
its like that in london you seem to be the only one going the oposite way parting the croud

seconded. In the refectory at college its kinda like that. you wanna go for some food but everyone in the college seems to not wanna let you

Captain Maxx Power
11-04-2007, 06:15 PM

seconded. In the refectory at college its kinda like that. you wanna go for some food but everyone in the college seems to not wanna let you

Thirded. One of my least favourite activities is attempting to get into Earl's Court after three District-line trains all decide to pull in at once. :mad:

blackmage_nuke
11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Quick, someone make a where's wally reference!

More to the point, no i cant remember being opposed against alot of people.

Loony BoB
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
The last two US elections. Or, if you're only referring to crowds only, I don't think thousands. But going down Princes Street when it's at it's busiest, it can seemlike it on the odd occasion. More like a river with currents that are very random. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

NeoTifa
11-05-2007, 12:24 AM
omg osu!!!!!!! ohio state university, expecially at the michigan vs. osu game. XDXDXD holy crap! trying to get around columbus as a whole is nearly impossible. i could just imagine the campus itsself, which is like half the freaking size of columbus. and columbus is a huge city. and omg dayton during x-fest. it was retarded this year. yet another sell out. 50000 people in one spot+beer+marijuana+angry rock music=bad. haha it was crazy trying to get home. i almost cried.

Lynx
11-05-2007, 12:34 AM
well i know one time when i was leaveing 6 flaggs i drove across the grass through the trees and onto the entrance and drove up the entrance to get out svaeing me probably about an hour of time. then because i couldnt get on the highway i decided to go the opposite way in hopes that i could make it "the way" and it worked i found another way onto the highway traffic free.

Peegee
11-05-2007, 02:25 AM
I like driving on the highway at night towards downtown, because there's zero traffic.

Otherwise I don't usually find myself going against the flow of people.