PDA

View Full Version : Didn't like this game.

Realm25
11-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I'll start by saying I really love the character models, and what's not to like about Kain right? but overall I really didn't enjoy this game. The only version I've played is the GBA remake, and I just couldn't stomach getting through the whole game.

I know a lot of people regard this as one of if not the best FF in the series, so what am I missing here? I just don't know :)

But don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing it by any means, every FF game is great in it's own way.

Captain Maxx Power
11-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Go find the original SNES version of it. The translation alone increases the enjoyment factor by a factor of Ogrish-one.

Bolivar
11-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I know how you feel, although not for this FF. Honestly, 16-bit RPGs on the SNES have gotten a little overexaggerated historically to the point where they overshadow other titles from the era and get a little more enthusiasm than the game lives up to.

My advice would be to take the game as it is. Maybe read some stuff about it online, understanding the context usually helps you appreciate something alot more, whether its movies, music, or video games.

This was the first FF on the super nintendo, and it really took advantage of everything the system offered. Also, one developer stated that it was a compilation/tribute to the first 3 FF's on Nintendo, incorporating aspects from each. I played it the same way, GBA, I don't know if playing the SNES version would increase your take on it.

ReloadPsi
11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
The thing this game lacks more than anything else, for me, is replay value. Although I would recommend it to every FF fan on the planet, once you've finished it, there's nothing else to do; no alternate party combos or anything (unless you're playing the GBA version of course), just weird challenges like low-level or no equipment or whatever.

I've played through each FF quite a few times, except the SNES ones ironically... I dunno why. FF4's my favourite of those three, but each playthrough will be several months, if not years apart (I've only completed it twice, but have also reached the moon on two other occasions).

It's not for everyone, I'll concede to that.

Takara
11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
FFIV is the one I've beat the most often, followed by FFVI.

I must be some kind of weird exception. Or maybe that's because they were the only games I had besides Chrono Trigger and Super Mario Kart.

Evastio
11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Compare it to FFI, II, III, and V and you'll see why it's really awesome.

FFIV had a really deep story compared to those games. It also had Cecil leave a mark on each of the characters and had them unite and work together to defeat their enemies. I know a lot of people don't like how they all came back alive (except for Tellah) but I actually liked that. They all came back and rushed to help Cecil and them as soon as possible which shows the loyalty and friendship they built during the story. It also had more serious themes than those other FFs had like forgiveness, choosing between loyalty or justice, betrayal, vengeance, and showing concern for others more than yourself.

Lawr
11-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Also, one developer stated that it was a compilation/tribute to the first 3 FF's on Nintendo, incorporating aspects from each.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Realm25
11-08-2007, 05:00 AM
Well, I guess I can attempt to play through it again, maybe this time I wont get bored to death. If I don't make it, there's always my favs to play, FF1, 2, 3, 7, and 10.

Necronopticous
11-08-2007, 06:14 AM
How far did you get?

I can't properly express what you're missing out on until this question is answered.

Raebus
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a slight suspicion that this is a person who's been playing far too much modern FF, I'm not saying he's been playing FF7 and he might be a ff7 extreme fan but who knows.

Karellen
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Most of the games he listed as his favorites are from the NES era. I would say that isn't the problem.

theundeadhero
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
I couldn't play the GBA version past the Dwarven Underworld where the Sylph Cave and the Summoner's Cave first become available. I just didn't feel like it, but I've beaten the SNES version countless times. Something in this version turned me off.

Realm25
11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm totally retro with my FF gaming, I'm not a "modern" gamer by any means, most new games do absolutely nothing for me, so that isn't it.

I don't remember exactly how far into it I got, but I know it was maybe, ohh, a day or so after Cecil changed from a Dark Knight to a Holy Knight, or whatever the class was called.

I'll just play through it again, maybe this time I'll find something I like about it. It bothers me because It's basically the only early FF title I haven't beaten.

Ayreon
11-08-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm totally retro with my FF gaming, I'm not a "modern" gamer by any means, most new games do absolutely nothing for me, so that isn't it.

I don't remember exactly how far into it I got, but I know it was maybe, ohh, a day or so after Cecil changed from a Dark Knight to a Holy Knight, or whatever the class was called.

I'll just play through it again, maybe this time I'll find something I like about it. It bothers me because It's basically the only early FF title I haven't beaten.
If you're hoping for any games to "do something for you" you'll be sadly mistaken. Makes me wonder why you like retro, at least the new ones have rumble to aid you in your "pursuits".

Realm25
11-08-2007, 07:27 PM
If you're hoping for any games to "do something for you" you'll be sadly mistaken. Makes me wonder why you like retro, at least the new ones have rumble to aid you in your "pursuits".

You're either very immature, or very perverse in your way of thinking...probably both. Everybody else knows what I meant.

Oh, and if this was just an attempt at being a comedian, don't quit your day job.

Bolivar
11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Compare it to FFI, II, III, and V and you'll see why it's really awesome.

I don't know about all that...don't let Elpizo catch you sayin that!

Evastio
11-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Well, it is better than those games character and story wise. Comparing FFIV's and V's gameplay, humor, and graphics is to close a call.

Peter_20
11-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Go find the original SNES version of it. The translation alone increases the enjoyment factor by a factor of Ogrish-one.XD

Yeah, find some version which is true to the orginal game script and sundry details, because the official American translation really sucks.

"Why the Moon?"
"For the power!"

Heath
11-09-2007, 12:15 PM

I think that things like the storyline, characters and the music are able to draw one in computer games in the same way they do in books or films. They're not games that are going to make you consider your life deeply, but they provide ample enjoyment and that's what I like my games to do for me :p

Bolivar
11-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, it is better than those games character and story wise. Comparing FFIV's and V's gameplay, humor, and graphics is to close a call.

I kind of liked the characters in V better out of the 3 SNES ones... You get to see different sides of them, playing tricks on eachother, happy, sad, etc. rather than the stereotypical RPG dance of adults being serious and kids being tricksters which IV and VI followed the tune of. I think the story gets downplayed because it wasn't the epic IV and VI: good guys vs. Empire, followed by ultimate good vs. ultimate evil.

It was an adventure.

Kenshin IV
12-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Different games in the series tend to cater towards different kinds of gamers. At least, that's the sort of trend I've noticed over the years. Four might be the only one of the "Sakaguchi era" games that resembles more of the story-heavy Final Fantasys that began with Six. Although, I guess you could say FF2 did that as well. But then, not many people on this side of the world grew up with Final Fantasy II.

footem
12-10-2007, 05:06 PM
i'd agree that it was the first FF game to have actual characters and charcater driven stories rather than just sprites like the 1st 3 (although in ii the extra characaters tend to have more personality than the main 3). I remember when i first played it being really taken aback by how big the world was, and how you kept finding new layers of it.

Yar
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM

You're only about two or three hours into the game! Let me tell you, the part from dark knight to paladin is the most boring. Once you get to the underground the story picks up fast.

Also, I'm glad you didn't approach this topic as "OMFG WORST GAME EVAH!!!!11" or whatever I've come to expect. It made me feel that you geniunely didn't like this game as much as you wished.

I've beat the SNES version hundreds of times, but I still feel GBA > SNES. (flame on, bitches!)