PDA

View Full Version : Invisible to the Network

Discord
11-05-2007, 12:37 AM
Simple question that will probably left unanswered!

Situation:

I have a wireless network between a router and three XP SP2 running machines.
PCs A and B see each other, but not PC C, in the Workgroup.
PC C cannot see anybody else except himself either.

Todo: Transfer a file from PC C to PC A or B via the network.

Problem: Guess.

Failed tries:

Turning off the firewalls
Giving a static IP to each system
Allowing administratorial access to all drives via the network from one PC to another
Sharing Folders on PC C
Sharing Folder on PC B
Accessing the shared folders via "cd \\given-ip\shared-folder"

Ideas?

rubah
11-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Have you tried waiting like an hour? I used to have some insane wait times waiting for my laptop to get recognized by the network (although that did go away when i added it to the workgroup ;o).

o_O
11-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Try Samba? :p

I just transfer over HTTP using my webservers on my network. Just install Apache, create a "shared" folder and you can access whatever you need via the respective IPs of the computers on the network.

Discord
11-05-2007, 08:12 AM
Heh, I'd love to, face, but I doubt that my t-online router will run Apache.:p

And meh, no, waiting has also proved useless. It's not an issue with the network itself, rather than with the specific machines configuration. (i.e. it doesn't seems to work in any other networks either.)

o_O
11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
Your router doesn't need to run Apache, the PC that you want to share from does. It's one of the first things I install on any of my machines after installing a new OS. :p

The only "tricky" part is configuring Apache, but a) you'll remember how to do it after the first time, and b) the documentation is so comprehensive that nobody gets to call it tricky. :p

Baloki
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
This is going to seem a little complex at first, but basically your going to need to run the home networking wizard a few times (restarting after each try) until Windows gets the configuration correct and it displays.

Edit: And you'll see what I mean by complex when you start because I should have said frustrating xD

rubah
11-05-2007, 04:00 PM
my laptop came with apache installed ^_^ I just need to install PHP on it :O stu was going to but he DIDN"T

Discord
11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Hmmm... alright, seems like it either started working or I typoed it before. I still don't see the other PCs in the Workgroup, but I can access them via cd \\ip-addy\shared-folder. Further suggestions?

And hey, thanks for the advices so far.:)

It's weird, if I look for other PCs or *, in the stupid XP Search thingy, they aren't there. If I type in their IPs though, they become visible...