PDA

View Full Version : Opiumcloud's Ultimate Final Fantasy Test

opiumcloud
11-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Here it is. (http://www.okcupid.com/tests/11934654466826558330/Ultimate-Final-Fantasy)

Try taking it with no reference materials. Enjoy the madness.

Enjolras
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Apparently, I'm a Level 61 FF Geek. I didn't know anything from Final Fantasy's 1 to 5, so i just guessed those questions.

Pete for President
11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
You are a Lv. 40 Final Fantasy geek!

And I've only finished FFVII, X and XII.

Karellen
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Level 70. Putting in questions that require D&D and Seiken Densetsu knowledge is pretty lame.

TheSpoonyBard
11-05-2007, 12:40 PM
I didn't know anything from Final Fantasy's 1 to 5, so i just guessed those questions.
Ditto. I got Lv59.

Dr. Acula
11-06-2007, 05:03 AM
Level 51!:D I guessed the qu's about FF9 and FFT.

Vivisteiner
11-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Ehhh...I dont like it.

Ridiculous FFVII bias. Not enough FFIX.

I got Lvl 44.

ReloadPsi
11-06-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm nearly done, but some of these questions are horrible:

"Who does Yuna resemble most?"
"Of these items, which is most useful to have 10 or more of, in a fight against Ultimecia?"
"Who is Squall's father?" (One of the options is "There's no hard evidence")
"Jenova is to WEAPON as Cetra is to __________"
"What is the most difficult of these Final Fantasy "challenges"?"

Those are up to personal opinion. I think Yuna looks most like Yunalesca out of the options you gave, but others may think she looks like Lenne.

You are a Lv. 79 Final Fantasy geek!
Your knowledge of the FF series is truly impressive. And you may not have much of a life outside of it. As an FF arch-geek, you like to post on forums, flaming anyone who likes Mystic Quest, and probably have an FF-related screen name that you use for all of your logins, across the web. Like MasamuneInTheI. And you've probably written a full walkthrough for at least one FF game.

opiumcloud
11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Reload -

As for the Squall's father question, I believe that one of the answers is "there's no strong indication", not "there's no hard evidence." A story can strongly indicate that something is true, without providing hard evidence of it. And that answer is definitely wrong, since any perceptive FF8 player should find a multitude of clues indicating who Squall's father is, which, together, amount to a strong indication. It's clearly something that the game developers intended for the player to discover, and not just a bunch of game elements coincidentally pointing to the same conclusion.

As for the Yuna's appearance question, finding the best answer isn't merely a matter of personal opinion. One of these characters is remarked upon in-game to resemble Yuna, and the others aren't. So that should be a fairly objective determining factor.

Of course which items to use in battle always depends on your personal preference, but for both of the questions where I asked which item was most useful in a certain battle, I was looking for the item that, if abused, would guarantee victory for any party strong enough to make it to the battle in the first place, regardless of stats, or the availability of other powerful items, special moves, or equipment. In both cases, there is only one answer representing an item of such extreme power.

If you are good at solving analogies, the answer to the analogy question should be extremely unambiguous.

That just leaves the "challenges" question, which I admit may be a little bit debateable. But the answer I'm looking for is the challenge which requires the most strategic planning, and knowledge of the game to pull off, and can't be completed merely through extreme levelling and character-powering combined with some basic knowledge about how to put together a powerful battle party under the specified limitations.

I tried to include a lot of diverse question types. So for some of them, I did enter into the territory of possible ambiguity, but I don't think I crossed the line too badly. I asked about FF7 more than FF9 because it is a more essential game to the history and culture of the series, and also because I happen to like it. I was tempted to add about 10 more Final Fantasy Tactics questions than I did, for the same reason, but I didn't want to absurdly penalize the overall score of players who hadn't played Tactics.

I would contend that someone with a thorough overall knowledge of the FF series SHOULD be able to answer more difficult questions about FF7 than about FF9, because FF7 itself is more ingrained into FF lore.

Rase
11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
You are a Lv. 48 Final Fantasy geek!

You are an FF initiate. You know a little bit of FF trivia, and have probably beaten at least one of the games. If you haven't, then you like to hang out on FF fansites, for God-knows-what reason.

rubah
11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Is it just me, or did they ask about 20 fft questions and no ff2/3 questions?

(got lv 53)

Heath
11-06-2007, 10:10 PM
You are a Lv. 63 Final Fantasy geek!

Tavrobel
11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
I got Lv59.

Maybe someone should post answers.

oddler
11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm Level 48. Not a single FFXI question. :rolleyes2

opiumcloud
11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
Sorry. I never played FFXI, so I couldn't ask about that one. I wouldn't be able to get anywhere near lv. 99 on my own test, if it were equally difficult, but written by somebody else, using questions they knew the answers to, instead of my own questions. Maybe lv. 70-80ish, if I were lucky.

Vivisteiner
11-07-2007, 08:36 PM
I would contend that someone with a thorough overall knowledge of the FF series SHOULD be able to answer more difficult questions about FF7 than about FF9, because FF7 itself is more ingrained into FF lore.
I disagree. When looking at FF knowledge objectively you should weight each numbered title equally because FFVII is no more of a Final Fantasy than FFIX or any other.

But its your test, so whatever.

Tavrobel
11-07-2007, 09:00 PM
I failed to notice any FFII or FFIII questions, j or otherwise.

By writing one of these tests, I would assume that unless you could create an unbaised test that could incorporate all aspects of Final Fantasy, it's not really a valid test. If you can't test this test once again, and at least get a consistent score, then the test isn't reliable, either. All of these games are equally as important as the other, despite what anyone can really say about them (back off, fanboys).

ljkkjlcm9
11-07-2007, 09:32 PM
this one upset me
How about these characters? Which is capable of doing the most HP damage to a monster in a single turn, under optimal conditions?
Cyan
Terra
Setzer
Sabin

all of them can equip genji glove/offering and hit 8 times in a turn, and at level 99, all of them will do 9999 a hit
my assumption is that you believe the answer to be Terra, because she can use Illumina and Atma Weapon, but you're wrong

I stopped after reading that because the person making the test didn't even have ultimate FF knowledge

THE JACKEL

opiumcloud
11-07-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow. You guys are arrogant. I understand that each of the four characters can do 9999 x 8, but one of the characters can do more than that. Just because you don't know the answer to one of the questions, doesn't mean that I didn't know what I was talking about, while writing it.

> All of these games are equally as important as the other, despite what anyone can really say about them

So, Tav, you're telling me that FFIIj, which had a fraction of the development time and budget of FFX, and is talked about a fraction as often, is just as important as FFX, because you say so? In that case, you should be busy writing letters to Square demanding FFII part 2, instead of complaining that I didn't include it on a test designed to be accessible to a significant portion of FF fans.

Seriously, some of you guys take dubious stances incredibly seriously.

Vivisteiner
11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
^So then you leap to your other argument, which is equally dubious.

ReloadPsi
11-07-2007, 10:46 PM
FFIIj, which had a fraction of the development time and budget of FFX, and is talked about a fraction as often

Hello, massively well-received remakes. And it's not more important because some guy in a forum says so. It's important because it's a Final Fantasy game and your quiz has Final Fantasy in the smegging title. You had questions about Mystic Quest which is talked about a fraction as often as FFX. According to someone else (forgot who, sorry) there were Seiken Densetsu questions as well: talked about a fraction as much as FFX.

Plus, I'm aware that Yuna is said to look like a certain someone in the course of the game, but I've been said to look like Private Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, yet I probably actually don't. Rephrase the question, "Who is Yuna said to resemble" maybe?

Finally, how is it "ultimate" if it's meant to be accessible to everyone? Shouldn't "ultimate" mean it's intended for a niche market of those who are experts in the entire series, not just the better-known aspects of it?

P.S. Man, am I still the highest scorer?

Tavrobel
11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Wow. You guys are arrogant.

So, Tav, you're telling me that FFIIj, which had a fraction of the development time and budget of FFX, and is talked about a fraction as often, is just as important as FFX, because you say so?

Arrogance isn't arrogance if you can back it up, and my good sir, I do not believe that you can back it up. I wouldn't say that I can either, but I'm not claiming that I have made an ultimate FF quiz.

And the "Final Fantasy" in its name is missing where? I fail to see where the FF is missing from FFIIj.

opiumcloud
11-08-2007, 12:15 AM
First of all, you have to take the descriptor "ultimate" with a grain of salt. This is much more likely to seem like an "ultimate" test to the random testtaker at okcupid, than here on eoff.

> Arrogance isn't arrogance if you can back it up, and my good sir, I do not believe that you can back it up.

This sentence doesn't even make any sense. What can't I back up? Arrogance? And what is "backing up" arrogance, anyway, and what does that have to do with my response to you, where I tried to indicate that not every FF game deserves the same amount of attention on a series' test?

As far as my test goes, yes, I admit that FF2 and FF3 and under-represented. But that's just a matter of personal preference. However, in the abstract, I completely disagree with your assertion that every FF game deserves an equal number of questions on a test about the series. Some games are simply "more game" than others. More effort was put into making them, they take longer to play through, there's more to do in them, and people just plain care more about them. Your argument is egalitarian, in a completely artificial manner.

Let's say I am a teacher, and I assign you a book to read from my class. This book has three chapters. Chapter one is 10 pages. Chapter two is 20 pages. Chapter three is 360 pages. According to the same logic you used to assert that I should have put an equal number of questions about each FF game on my test, you would also have to complain if I tested you overall on this book, and had almost all questions about material covered in chapter three.

If you don't like FF6, FF7, FF8, and FF Tactics as much as I do, fine. But there's no such thing as an "unbiased" test, and even if there were, it wasn't my goal to make one.

As for me supposedly "not being able to back things up," I've responded to the criticisms that have been offered of my specific questions, on a question-by-question basis, and since no one has continued to argue about any of those, I consider that I have adequately "defended" them.

PuPu
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Level 63 Geek. Not bad, I think.

Does it really matter if the questions or the quiz was flawed? After all, this was just something to do for fun. There's no need to call people lame or arrogant.

opiumcloud
11-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Well, if you think that that a question has no correct answer, because of an oversight of the person who wrote it, it is extremely arrogant to just assume that the oversight couldn't possibly be your own.

My test may have its flaws, but I would never respond to another person's test by calling it dumb, because of a question that I haven't even researched or asked about, where I suspect that perhaps there is not exactly one correct answer, based on my own limited knowledge of the game. Instead, I would politely suggest that either the testmaker or I was overlooking something, and ask the testmaker for a response. When someone does the former, that is arrogant, and I think that I have actually exhibited quite a bit of restraint, considering the slings and arrows hurled at me before I said that.

Well, I shall correct myself on one matter. You guys aren't all arrogant. Just the ones who are doing the aforementioned. I apologize for anyone who I unduly slandered by saying "you guys are arrogant".

Heath
11-08-2007, 01:08 AM

Does it really matter if the questions or the quiz was flawed? After all, this was just something to do for fun. There's no need to call people lame or arrogant.

Yeah, exactly. At the end of the day it's just an online quiz.

Skyblade
11-08-2007, 02:30 AM

Yeah, exactly. At the end of the day it's just an online quiz.

To heck with the quiz, I'm getting far more enjoyment out of watching you guys verbally decimating each other than I got taking the quiz (which I didn't bother to finish because of an extremely annoying [and, to my mind, obvious] invalid question).

Karellen
11-08-2007, 03:07 AM
this one upset me
How about these characters? Which is capable of doing the most HP damage to a monster in a single turn, under optimal conditions?
Cyan
Terra
Setzer
Sabin

all of them can equip genji glove/offering and hit 8 times in a turn, and at level 99, all of them will do 9999 a hit
my assumption is that you believe the answer to be Terra, because she can use Illumina and Atma Weapon, but you're wrong

I stopped after reading that because the person making the test didn't even have ultimate FF knowledge

THE JACKAL
Actually, he's right on that one. Even at level 99, no other character besides Terra out of the ones listed can cause 8*9999 damage. The Illumina isn't quite strong enough to cause that max damage either; the only way Terra can hit the max damage limit is if you steal another Atma Weapon from Kefka's tower at the end of the game and equip her with it for the final battle.

ljkkjlcm9
11-08-2007, 03:34 AM
this one upset me
Cyan
Terra
Setzer
Sabin

THE JACKAL
Actually, he's right on that one. Even at level 99, no other character besides Terra out of the ones listed can cause 8*9999 damage. The Illumina isn't quite strong enough to cause that max damage either; the only way Terra can hit the max damage limit is if you steal another Atma Weapon from Kefka's tower at the end of the game and equip her with it for the final battle.
lol not true, anyone can hit 9999x8 if you give the right esper bonuses
and if you ask him, that's not even what he's talking about. He's referring to the Psycho Cyan glitch

THE JACKEL

Karellen
11-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Psycho Cyan glitch wouldn't cause more damage, I don't think. The max HP any monster had in FFVI (until FFVI Advance, which fixed the Cyan glitch as far as I know) was just over 63, 0000. The monster dies right after Cyan finishes attacking, so it would never reach the maximum damage of the genji glove/offering combo, which is 79992, since the damage in the latter always plays out to full no matter what the HP on the monster being attacked is.

I'm also fairly certain that the other characters can't reach max damage if they have the offering equipped. I would have to check the damage equations again but I don't think there is any weapon with a battle power high enough to hit the limit besides Atma Weapon and one of Locke's weapons which operate differently. The only way would be to cast berserk on them or something.

EDIT: After checking the damage formula again I'm apparently wrong and other characters should theoretically be able to reach the limit. It just almost never happens because you hardly ever find monsters that have a low enough defense by the time you are actually at level 99. Never mind then.

boys from the dwarf
11-08-2007, 04:56 PM
70+. dont remember exactly but thats impressive seems as i dont really obsess over FF any more. i just have a thing about sucking in and remembering knowledge.

whats the highest?

nice test. interesting questions. some were a little confusing or off but i dont think their worht mentioning too much because they dont ruin the whole quiz.

congrats reload. i wonder if endless twilights still around? does anyone remember ET? his knowledge was incridible just under a yera or so ago when everyone was doing FF millionare games on the forums.

auberginedreams
12-25-2007, 08:15 AM
You are a Lv. 44 Final Fantasy geek!

I guess that's pretty good, considering I've only played half of the main series (so far!)

Northcrest
12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm a lvl 39 final Fantasy Geek

chionos
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
All of these FF monster names originated in ancient myths and folklore, except for...
Lamia
Quetzalcoatl
Lich
Naga

These can all be found in one form or another in various world mythologies.

The test is ok. Though some of the questions are matters of subjectivity or just plain wrong, I dunno why people are getting up in arms about it.

Big D
12-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Hmm.
I've never played FF1-3, XI, CC, T, or TA, so this should be interesting.

*takes test, with no references except for my own FF knowledge*

<h1>[!]t[/!]Your Score[!]/t[/!]: FF Geek</h1>
<h2>You are a Lv. 62 Final Fantasy geek!</h2>

Not only do you hang out on FF fansites, but you probably own one. As a full-fledged FF geek, you know at least a dozen jokes about Tifa's mammaries, and things not to do with a Buster Sword and a bottle of Scotch.

[!]t[/!]Link: The Ultimate Final Fantasy Test (http://www.okcupid.com/tests/11934654466826558330/Ultimate-Final-Fantasy) written by falseazure (http://www.okcupid.com/profile?u=falseazure) on OkCupid (http://www.okcupid.com), home of the The Dating Persona Test[!]/t[/!] (http://www.okcupid.com/online.dating.persona.test)
View My Profile(falseazure) (http://www.okcupid.com/profile?u=falseazure)

Many of those questions were rather arse, however. I don't mind difficult questions, but wording that is so poor as to be nigh incomprehensible just rankles me.

silentenigma
12-28-2007, 02:01 AM
lvl. 64 yea boi

Relapse
12-30-2007, 08:39 AM
37 T_T
so many questions are about ff8 and up, all of which i have never played.

demondude
12-30-2007, 03:59 PM
LV. 43

Lawr
12-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Level 43 :goofy:

I think there was TOO MUCH FF7 & FF8. If it is the 'Ultimate' test, it should have a decent amount of everything. It seems to me like it was written by a fanboy.

Northcrest
12-31-2007, 04:15 AM
Level 43 :goofy:

I think there was TOO MUCH FF7 & FF8. If it is the 'Ultimate' test, it should have a decent amount of everything. It seems to me like it was written by a fanboy.

I think he has a point. Even though I've played VII and VIII. I don't remember them putting any FFIII questions and somethings I just thought weren't really neccesary questions. Like the Mythology Question Mythology wasn't strongly inputed in the games. Yes there were monsters with Myth ideas, but the monsters weren't something major inside the storyline.