PDA

View Full Version : Some advice required for my current strategy

empower
11-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Let me first say my way of utilizing the FFXII battle system is deviant from most others and though it may it end-game might be less efficient I'd have it no other way.

I make VERY litte use of Gambits. I only have gambits that are set to raise fallen characters, cure status ailments and to attack corresponding to the party leaders target unless ordered otherwise.

I usually assume control of Vaan. His character right now is very well rounded and as a fighter I use light armor and samurai swords. I habitually rush to a fight with my controlled character first often leaving Vaan taking quite a beating. I contradict this in longer fights / boss fights often by floating Vaan back and using him to heavy cast healing spells or just to make sure not everyone is point-blank faced to the enemy.

Basch is set up with both heavy armor and a sword + shield. He's my big hitter yet could still be considered well rounded.

Fran is set up with mage/caster armor and uses a bow. When healing is required I standardly make use of her.

Now, I'm at Archades right now, for the first time. I'm finding at this point in the game magic is still largely useless as offense unless using something like Dark on tight groups or Warp etc.. in standard fights. It seems physical attacks still do most of the damage.

Now - should I be using a ranged character instead of Vaan to lead in perhaps? Or should I just be more patient in waiting for the other 2 to get to the target then take Vaan in and get my attack in?

If I were sensible enough I'd give Vaan a bow but I'd just feel I've betrayed any cool factor I've built up for him lol - he looks like even more of a fairy carrying a bow though I do keep a bow handy in case I encounter a flying foe so that both him and Fran can attack air targets while Basch uses Tecknicks like Souleater / Telekinesis when I get it.

Clawsze
11-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Basch should have the Samurai sword(better attack) and Vaan should get the Sword+Shield(He needs the evade)

remnant1
11-07-2007, 06:29 PM
lol you said your way is unlike most? hahaha,got news for ya lad,almost everyone does this.the only thing thing you REALLY need at the VERY LEAST is to have everyone with sword+shield.if anything else comes your way,then you use your command window to cast magic,use tech.,ect.unless you like to go with variaty then you only really need 3 gambits(at the least).dont get me wrong though,i dont play like this either,i use the same methods you do in having all my charecters having diferent jobs.but at the very least,ya know

empower
11-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I guess my role playing self doesn't like the idea of giving everyone a sword + shield, or giving Basch a Samurai sword haha. He just so natually seems to work with the Sword + Shield. He's a beast! I'm at level 45 and he's been doing 2500-3000 damage per attack since I got the Platinum Sword

rayquaza0
01-13-2008, 09:44 AM
as ive posted before, i see no point in using bows/guns personally. I see it as unnessecary only if your intentionally attempting trying to inflict a ailment would i recommend this. I get frequently criticized by my views.

The weapon is ranged , they can't reach you!
Wrong buddy, esp in boss fights, the're gonna chase you and hunt you down mate, with a sword/dagger and shield esp the Ensanguined Shield you get a great evade rating 100+ (with main gauche and Ensanguined Shield) which means you're going to rarely get hit and you're going to deal some amount of damage before you do get hit.

You're going to run out of MP
Wrong againg buddy, esp Fran since she's a natural spell caster, her mp is staggering esp at lv3 quickening and if shes lv45+. With all the warmage, magick potency, inquisitor, swiftness and chanelling licences and with the sage's ring, spells like curaja are only going to cost 25mp. And if you do run out of mp which will extremely rarely happen beacuase of warmage and inquisitor then simply set up the Fran<10%MP (>) Charge gambit - that nealr never misses since it only ever missess when u start exceeding 25% mp

these were from some other forums
I hope you see this view the way i see them and please no negative comments