PDA

View Full Version : Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted

Vincent, Thunder God
11-07-2007, 09:01 PM
I thought I should let the staff know that I ran into a problem when giving a usernote to oddler. The problem was reproducible (it occurred 5 times).

I got this error message

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /home/eyesonff/subdomain/forums/includes/class_postbit.php(300) : eval()'d code on line 216

Does this mean that the forum has run out of memory in some way?

oddler
11-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Don't know, but you hit me up with a plethora of them. :p

Vincent, Thunder God
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Don't know, but you hit me up with a plethora of them. :p

Well, in that case, it's just viewing them that's a problem. I'll delete the extra ones once I can actually access your page.

o_O
11-07-2007, 10:49 PM
The error means that the script handling whatever you're trying to do (post a usernote in this case) is eating up more memory than PHP is allowed.

It's reproducible currently by attempting to view the announcements from within the Daily Grind forum which is extremely strange (viewing an announcement shouldn't eat 32MB of memory), so it's possible that some other process is pushing PHP past the limit.

It could be caused by a memory leak or just by having too low a limit on memory. Searching for short strings consumes a lot, so perhaps that was happening when the error occurred. :p

theundeadhero
11-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Apparently this happened because VTG had set up 9999 posts per page, which was too much for the forum to handle. Maybe from so many usernotes contaning animated smilies :confused:

o_O
11-08-2007, 03:28 AM
I didn't even know you could do that now. :p

That could definitely cause this problem. It would've been a number closer to 2400, since that's close to how many usernotes oddler has. It makes sense that it would take higher than 32MB (especially if they're image-heavy), since the server has to hold the whole lot in memory.

A 100-post page in a thread can chew up a good 5-6MB of RAM easily.

Shoeberto
11-08-2007, 05:05 AM
Basically, if you use more than 50 posts per ANYTHING you are a shame and disgrace to this community.

Baloki
11-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Why aren't we just forcing old defaults on people of 30 posts per page ???

Vincent, Thunder God
11-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Apparently this happened because VTG had set up 9999 posts per page, which was too much for the forum to handle. Maybe from so many usernotes contaning animated smilies :confused:

I didn't even know you could do that now. :p

That could definitely cause this problem. It would've been a number closer to 2400, since that's close to how many usernotes oddler has. It makes sense that it would take higher than 32MB (especially if they're image-heavy), since the server has to hold the whole lot in memory.

A 100-post page in a thread can chew up a good 5-6MB of RAM easily.

Yeah, it must have been that. I just got tired of switching pages, so I went with the maximum - but since that was causing problems I went back down lower. I think such a high maximum shouldn't even be available since it's so problematic. If 2400 usernotes can't be viewed, chances are 9999 would always be impossible.

Well, problem solved anyways.

Peegee
11-11-2007, 06:17 AM
Other than 'epic lulz', why is there an option for 9999 poasts per page anyway? Don't your threads break long before then?

crono_logical
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
We still have a Daily Grind forum? :p

I'd expect it to do that in any archived forum, since that's where archived announcements go, and there are a lot of those :p Though I'm sure it worked pretty recently, so it must have just recently gone over limit if the limits haven't been changed :p

Xaven
11-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Wah, not fair. I want to see all the old and archived announcements. D: Up the limit to 128 megs just for me, will ya'? :O