PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Character Design

Jessweeee♪
11-08-2007, 01:24 AM
People seem to enjoy pointing these things out, so why not devote an entire thread to it?

Example 1:

CALI

In FFX you see a little girl on the Mi'ihen Highroad named Cali, then two years later she gets a little taller, gets a nice tan, and changes her wardrobe! FFX-2 Cali clones can be seen in several places in FFX.
1. In the stands during the blitzball tournament in Luca.
2. I think I saw her in Kilika.
3. In Remiem (that seems off, I must've gotten that wrong) Temple you see Cali again, as a fayth of one of the Magus Sisters!
4. I know there was some other fourth place! Someone help!

Example 2:

RED HAIRED GIRL

1. During the little party before the game starts in Zanarkand.
2. During one of Tidus's flashbacks of Zanarkand (though it's not so odd that she'd be seen in two different places in the same city...I mean she lives there....)
3. You see twin red-heads on either side of Rin during the Sphere Break tournament in FFX-2.

Jimsour
11-08-2007, 01:37 AM
Probably had a set time to design NPCs.

Blackjack
11-08-2007, 04:29 AM
Its not really lazyness, you can't expect them to create unique NPC models for every NPC character in the game.

Renmiri
11-08-2007, 09:09 AM
FFX2 has kids from Dream Zanarkand still with their Zanarkand T-Shirts.

Jessweeee♪
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
Its not really lazyness, you can't expect them to create unique NPC models for every NPC character in the game.

I know that :p

It's just fun to spot out repeats n.n

remnant1
11-08-2007, 05:32 PM
dude,npcs are repeated in every game

~Death~Stalker~910
11-08-2007, 10:50 PM
wat?

cloud21zidane16
11-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Its just fun to point them out:)

Little Blue
11-10-2007, 09:58 AM
It does seem quite stupid to use DZ and Fayth NPC's as normal people in X-2. Surely they could've copied some Spiran NPC's instead...

Spammerman
11-10-2007, 02:20 PM

I thought assassins creed made it so that every npc was a different one.

BG-57
11-10-2007, 02:49 PM
For real fun, try recruiting the Free Agents Kiyuki, Kyou, Durren, and Vilucha. You can have your Fayth Blitzball team, including the Fayth of (respectively) Sandy, Yojimbo, Ifrit, and Cindy. Somehow the idea of playing Blitzball with Fayth seems eerily appropriate.

For the record, the only unique Fayth are Bahamut's and Anima's.

Little Blue
11-10-2007, 03:11 PM
For the record, the only unique Fayth are Bahamut's and Anima's.
Indeed. That kinda belittles them in my view...

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2007, 03:50 PM
It does seem quite stupid to use DZ and Fayth NPC's as normal people in X-2. Surely they could've copied some Spiran NPC's instead...

The fat guy in the white shirt is in nearly every town :p

BG-57
11-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Indeed. That kinda belittles them in my view...

Agreed. My guess is since the Fayth of Anima and Bahamut are the both central to the story, they get a specific character design while the other Fayth are incidental, so they get a reused generic design. Also I'm sure a lot of people don't even realize you can go back and meet every Fayth.

It's not a coincidence that Anima and Bahamut are the only Fayth you learn anything about. I'd love to hear about the other Fayth and their stories. Particularly Valefor and the Magus Sisters.

No.78
11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I would just like to say it is not fun to point them out.

Necronopticous
11-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Its not really lazyness, you can't expect them to create unique NPC models for every NPC character in the game.Oh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins_creed)?

Renmiri
11-11-2007, 06:33 AM
I think it is fun :) We game fanatics spend so many hours we end up knowing the NPC's by heart and knowing that Yaibal is Ifrit's fayth while Beclem is Yojimbo's made me feel such an FFX expert! :love:

Godhand
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Wakka needed a "Git-R-Done" beer hat to complete his redneck look. I'm disappointed in Square for being too lazy to add it.

BG-57
11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
It is fun to make connections like that, although the makers are betting that most players won't notice or care. To be sure this duplication of NPCs goes back to sprite-based RPG's. To name but one example, one of the bodies in Zozo has the same sprite as Madonna in FFVI.

It's an easy way to cut corners to save both time in programming and amount of memory the game uses. It only becomes annoying when it's overused.

Vivisteiner
11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Its because FFX is a sh*t game. :p

jeo2388
11-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Its because FFX is a sh*t game. :p
lol. although they did dish out millions for this sh*t :rolleyes2 and made millions too

rubah
11-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Shuu shows up too many times in ffx-2 >:[

Pouring Rain
11-16-2007, 03:05 AM
Wakka needed a "Git-R-Done" beer hat to complete his redneck look. I'm disappointed in Square for being too lazy to add it.

Amen.

remnant1
11-19-2007, 03:58 PM

I thought assassins creed made it so that every npc was a different one.

hmmm i havent played assasins creed yet(but i will,it looks so awsome!!!)so maybe it is like that.has anyone noticed how calli changes?i know that its soposed to be 2 years after they meet but dang.it seems like 4 years

Yliette
11-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Aaahh, it's been a long time since my last post.

I agree with Blackjack. In FF7 Tifa's father is a common NPC avatar. Kinda made me a little disappointed. At least Cloud's blonde mom was unique. :D

auronlu
12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Oh, oh, me me, pick me, teacher! I actually have gotten to know most of the npcs. A lot of them have backstories, at least a bit, or certain hangups or things they care about. There ARE multiple uses of each npc, but I can count about 65 from memory, meaning there's probably around 70-- or around 100 if you also include the Dream Zanarkand models (who don't overlap the Spiran one). That's not really very lazy. :)

The Cast of NPCs in FFX

1. The woman in the green skirt, purplish shirt. In Besaid she's a refugee from a village destroyed by Sin, and she's kinda depressing. But she pops up lots of places. In Luca, I remember she's sitting on the circular bench in the middle of the causeway talking to another woman -- at first they're comparing notes on whether the Al Bhed or Ronso are more sexy! I think there's another of her in Luca square talking to the seated guard and the man in the brown vest about this and that.
2. The gal with the golden-orange tunic and the red headband. Wanders Luca Square. Gets gypped by O'aka outside the Shoopuf loading platform on the north wharf. Also makes a cameo as Wantz's and O'aka's little sister on the farplane.
3. The guy in the purple coat and yellow pants. On Besaid he's trying to corner the market on the fabric trade. He's also a frequent spectator in the stands at Luca. And he's one of the groupies who surrounds Yuna in the Moonflow north wharf pavillion.
4. The guy with no shirt, red and white shorts. On Besaid he's the younger of the two male weavers who's always sneaking off to hang out at the temple, or feeling put upon by the older guy. In Luca he's a Kilika Beasts fan. On the Mi'hen Highroad he's seen late in the game banging his head against a pillar and being depressed. In Kilika he and his wife show up by the temple to say goodbye before they leave-- Sin's attack was too much for them. He shows up pretty much everywhere.
5. The guy with the bare chest, tattoos, fish necklace and white baggy pants with a big leather codpiece. On Besaid he's Vilucha's husband, daddy to the kid with the green headband, and a fisherman much worried about getting et by Sin. On the S.S. Liki he's the righthand harpooner who turns into a wuss after the Sin battle. In Kilika he's always jogging around on the dock near the inn. In Luca he's a rabid Kilika Beasts fan.
6. Vilucha, she of the snazzy blue outfit that shows off her tummy and most of her butt (prelude to X-2, aie). In Besaid she's a rather straightlaced weaver who stays in her house ALL THE TIME unlike pretty much everyone else on the island. In Kilika she's up at the temple looking for "celebrities"... or else she's Isken's girlfriend apologizing for his rude behavior due to toxin. In Luca she's wandering around the square being snooty about the Al Bhed. Another one in the cafe talking to Shuu.
7. Little boy in green headband, torn between wanting to join the Aurochs and the Crusaders. He's mostly only on Besaid, but inexplicably, when you go to the beach he suddenly acquires a twin. Who should probably actually be....
8. Slightly older boy in dark red poncho. On Besaid, usually found in the temple praying for the Aurochs to score at least one goal. Much impressed by the story of Lord Zaon, wishing he was old enough to be a guardian and help Yuna. Born about the time that Braska and his guardians came to Besaid. His sprite gets reused on most places whenever a young lad is needed -- notably as one of the Luca Goer fans who migrates to Dock 3 after the tournament and tries to discourage Sis from stowing away on the Winno. He's also the kid whose ball Tidus kicks on the Mi'ihen Highroad. And the kid who gets lost and fetches up near the glowy sphere crystal thing in Macalania Woods during the Cloudy Mirror quest.
9. The merchant in Besaid with the red headband and white halter top. She's a repeat later on the S.S. Liki, and I've never been sure if she's supposed to be the same merchant there. Also shows up as a merchant outside the south (?) pavillion on the moonflow. In Luca she's on the causeway to the mainland grumbling about this and that, disapproving of Crusaders.
10. Ubiquitous portly guy in white vest (variant: in yellow vest, the helmsman of the Liki and Winno). On Besaid he's a Crusader who's conveniently forgotten everything due to Sin's toxin, so he misses Mi'ihen and frets over what's happening to Gatta and Luzzu. In Luca he seems to be #9's boyfriend, and is always fussing about ferry service. On the Mi'ihen Highroad he plants himself near Mi'ihen's statue and explains about it, mostly recapping what Maechen said, also making disparaging remarks about modern Crusaders. On the south wharf of the Moonflow he's a thug of a merchant.
11. Man in green shirt, white baggy pants. On Besaid he's Mr. Fixit, a self-proclaimed wuss who's no good at hunting fiends, so he helps out the Crusaders and village by fixing huts. In Luca he's the "spoony bard" of the main square who tries to make a pass at a warrior monk and fails miserably. In Kilika he's a rather cynical bloke over on the lefthand side of the village trying to repair the damage outside of Isken's hut.
12. Man in yellow shirt, blue pants. On Besaid he's the old coot weaver who almost never leaves his loom and doesn't put up with much nonsense. In Luca he's some bloke up in the stands who doesn't think the Aurochs have a snowball's chance in hell. In Kilika he's up by the temple praying that Sin won't come back.
13. The Old Codger. On Besaid Tidus calls him "gramps," and he answers a lot of questions, although he also calls him a "heathen" that evening. If you visit later he scoffs at every rumor -- the Aurochs winning, the airship, Yuna a traitor. Likable chap. There's a couple of him in Kilika, one outside the Inn being philosophical about his grandchildren killed in the attack, another inside the inn somewhat shellshocked and saying he just wants to stay in Kilika and live in peace and quiet. He's also on the south wharf shoopuf loading platform insisting that that machina is a-okay, Yevon-certified, yessiree! And he's got a granddaughter he visits on the Farplane.
14. The Old Lady who tells Tidus, "Stay away from the Summoner!" and doesn't trust him farther than she can throw him. "What trick have you pulled on good Lady Yuna?" she asks after the news of her supposed traitor-hood gets around. Or, "You, a guardian? Toxin still gettin' to you, eh?" She's also a rabid Luca Goers fan, along with her granddaughter, and there's one of her hanging out by the north wharf pavillion.
15. Calli, the little girl in red with pigtails. Also aforementioned Luca Goers fan who moves to dock 3 and wants so much to be a sailor. Also the daughter of Jumal, the little girl with the red balloon in Luca Square.
16. The little girl with a white top and red shorts, Yuna's young friend, who misses her a lot and is always talking about what they'll do when Yuna comes home. Also the little sister of Kulukan the Kilika Beast member and bartender of Kilika -- Tidus can save this girl from a collapsing hut. Also seen running around on the Mi'ihen Highroad, playing with her brother.
17. The woman in the short white dress with a pale blue cap. She's rather devout in Besaid, always hanging around the temple. In Kilika she stands at the end of a walkway staring out to sea, and can't come to grips with the Sin attack because she lost her father. (She's the woman who falls down weeping in the Dance FMV).
18. Woman in tan tunic and brown leggings, looking for her son in Luca, and later on -- I think this really is the same person -- she misplaces both her husband and son in Macalania Woods -- this is the lady whose husband you have to find in the Cloudy Mirror sidequest. She and her husband end up in the Calm Lands Travel Agency, and she's a little worried about her son getting too friendly with the Al Bhed.
19. Her husband, gold tunic and green undershirt, brown pants. Sitting on a bench near Shaami the reporter in Luca, can't remember what he talks about there. Again, may really be same person.
20. Man in a white tabard with blue accents. In Luca he's wandering near the stadium entrance and fairly doubtful of the Auroch's chances; near the end of the game he decides to join the Crusaders. Another one shows up near the Moonflow late in the game saying he's fled the chaos in Bevelle but can't run any farther. There's another one on the Mi'ihen Highroad who reckons that the Summoners are Spira's only hope.
21. Dumpy woman in a lilac-purple dress. In Besaid she was a weaver, but her last shipment went down due to Sin, and she seems to occupy herself by bustling into every single person's house, clucking about the Crusaders, and generally looking after people, also babysitting the kids on the beach. On the Mi'ihen Highroad, a clone of her is always near the billboard for Rin's Agency, mostly making uncertain comments about Al Bhed -- late in the game she seems to grow more reconciled to them. Another one near the Shoopuf on the south wharf.
22. Man in blue vest, khaki pants. One wandering around Luca near the sphere Theater. One on the Highroad. One on the beach after Operation Mi'ihen who grumbles about the Al Bhed leaving their "crap" (the wreckage of the gun) blocking the road -- he's a merchant -- and later he grumbles about the Warrior Monks leaving the road unguarded.
23. Sailor in blue, the other harpooner. Clone of him on the Winno is a Yuna-groupie.
24. Sailor in green with a blue shower cap (!) in Besaid, stopping by for some "R&R", but he never gets around to leaving. Another one like him on Dock 3 at the ramp to the ferry.
25. Kiryuu -- there's several versions of the female sailor in the striped pants with blue cap, all connected with one ferry or the other.
26. Shuu, the woman in red in the Luca Cafe, also the gull-counter on the S.S. Liki and later a refugee from Bevelle standing outside the campsite in Macalania Woods.
27. Biggs, Wedge, and 2 other colors of Luca Guards.
28. Sixteen jillion ladies in a pom-pom hat and orange skirt and coat; Shaami the reporter. These are all over Luca. In X-2 they're all over Zanarkand.
29. The girl in the yellow smock and blue blouse with pigtails; Valefor's Fayth. Later talking to man on Mi'ihen Highroad, also a spectator in the "Let the Games Begin" FMV.
30. Ah, I forgot about the merchant's little sister! That's the one whom Calli grows into rather alarmingly in X-2. In X she's the sister of the Besaid merchant who minds her shop sometimes; she's usually got a dog with her. Also appears a few other places, although she looks enough like her sister I get them confused. Oh yeah, later on the Winno, she's spying on another Vilucha clone married to Gramps the Retired Blitzer, wondering if they're married (naaaah) or simply related.
31. Man in yellow shirt with brown pants, blue embroidery on his sleeves. He's hanging out on dock number 3 sometimes; there's another on the Luca causeway.
32. Calli's mom -- pink and brown. Oddly, I don't remember seeing her anywhere else, but she's gotta be; she can't be the only unique npc model.
33. Al Bhed guy in red vest with blond hair sticking up. Always wandering outside Stadium entrance. Another one in Luca Cafe arguing with Small Beaky Guy in Purple.
34. Small beaky guy in red (Toblii) being annoying near Shaami the reporter on the causeway in Luca. I think it really is Toblii -- he's always trying to sell tickets. Another one is in the hallway to the Goers' locker room before the tournament, and he's also in the sphere theater.
35. Four sets of musicians -- bird/harp man, honker cat, and drummer frog.
36. Al Bhed woman in red skintight outfit a bit like the Fifth Element -- Nhadala in X-2. In X she's always flirting with Tidus outside the stadium; later on she's Linna outside of macalania temple ("It's cold, isn't it?") and another in the Macalania Travel Agency.
37. Al Bhed woman in bikini, watching the Calm Lands Travel Agency (a blitzball player whose name escapes me). Another one in the cabin on the airship. Another is the Scary Mom who blows away fiends with Machina near the Mi'ihen Travel Agency later in the game.
38. All the chocobo rental gals look the same -- there's 3 -- plus there's another clone of her watching the kids near the overlook, and another in the airship cabin.
39. Buddy actually appears twice... I can't bally tell the difference between Nimrook and Eigarr (Eigarr may be darker-skinned, but it's hard to tell in the blitz pool).
40. Keyakuu is EVERYWHERE. At the beginning of the game, he has fun slapping Tidus around on the salvage ship. When Yuna breaks out of the Al Bhed ship, he's the guy that slumps to the deck. He's Keyakuu who dies just as the party reaches the outskirts of home and tells Rikku with his dying breath, "Guado... Yevon." He's on the lefthand side of the airship bridge next to Brother. And there's one of him up on the observation deck, vowing revenge against Yevon. He's also one of the guys that shows up on a snowmobile on Lake Macalania along with Brother.
41. Nedus, the Al Bhed with the Gas Mask. First appearance is asking Rikku, "Shall we kill it? / In death they are the same." He's one of the two guys on the salvage ship besides Brother who bops Tidus with a gun. He's Nedus on Dock 1 in Luca, who gets airsick easily. He's another who helps try and kidnap Yuna on Lake Macalania. There's one of him in the airship cabin, another up on the observation deck along with Keyakuu Clone.
42. Bearded older Al Bhed. One winds up in the Mi'ihen Highroad agency griping about Elder Cid dropping him off when he's quite capable of fighting -- says at least Rin's on the airship to keep Cid from getting too big for his britches. The other is in the airship cabin, and takes it upon himself to be the Scotty of that ship, always keeping Tidus informed about the ship's operations, whether the gun's working, etc. He was also one of the guys that accompanied Rikku into Baaj temple at the start of the game.
43. There's another male Al Bhed who looks like Keyakuu in khaki... can't remember where he pops up (airship cabin, I think) but he's around and about.
44. Al Bhed with blue cap, seen on salvage ship and a few other places. That blue cap seems to mean "sailor" in this world.
45. Warrior monk in red and gold (also seen as younger Kinoc). Apparently an officer, because he's rarer than...
46. Standard warrior monk in gray armor with green shirt. Everywhere.
47. Female warrior monk in similar armor. Ditto. (Turns down "spoony bard" in Luca square.)
48. Green chunky guy outside Luca Cafe. Oddly, this guy really IS a unique sprite-- he's always there.
49.Female Crusader In Need of Pants. In particular there's one around and about the stadium entrance, but you bump into her here and there.
50. Yaibal -- style crusader, in blue, green, old green, or dusty brown armor; apparently these are grunt soldiers, because they're everywhere.
51. Beclem/Kyou Crusader in red, white, blue. One on fork to Moonflow from Mi'ihen Highroad. One guards way into Djose temple (that's Kyou). Various places during Operation Mi'ihen. Sits on round bench outside Luca Stadium.
52. Miyu, female Crusader in red. Near beginning of game she's on round bench outside Luca Stadium; disappears after Operation Mi'ihen. Miyu is sitting on a bench near north wharf of Moonflow on way to Guadosalam.
52. Female crusader in dusty blue/gray. Ubiquitous.
53. Female Crusader in yellow and green. One appears on Mi'ihen Highroad eager to emulate Lady Yocun.
54. Crusader in gold tunic, rust pants. One of them is in Mi'ihen Highroad Agency after the Operation's over, waiting for a war buddy to show up, while fellow Crusader doesn't have heart to tell him his buddy is dead.
55. Guado teenaged girl in red pigtails, pinkish red outfit, roaming Luca Square and gushing about Seymour and her brother his bodyguard. Another one of her is in the House of the Fusty Elders in Guadosalam talking about Seymour almost as much.
56. Older Hooded Guado woman: one's in the Guadosalam items shop, proud of her husband who guards Seymour. Another is talking to a blitzer on the ramp leading up to the Farplane, and is missing a friend of hers who died in the attack on home. Another is near the Moonflow north pavilion, observing Yuna.
57. Snooty older Guado woman in Guado Glories house looks familair but I honest to gosh don't remember any tidbits about her.
58. Various Guado guards -- all seem to be clones. There's the tall elegant one in blue or green livery, and the hunched-over dishevelled old one (I suppose that would be hooded lady's husband.)
58 Mifury -- lady in green and yhellow smock wandering Luca Square and pondering starting up a business does so, but she's now a receptionist for the Al Bhed Agency in the Thunder Plains (I think, that or Macalania).
59 Ten jillion Shinras (small Al bhed kids) in blue or rust-colored pants.
60. Monk in orange, monk in green, monk in red (unique to Djose, oddly), and monk in purple all wrapped up like Father Zuke.
61. Monk in green with little Jackie O cap, found in Kilika Temple Courtyard being a wuss, also in monks' chamber in Macalania.
62. Shiva's Fayth = nun in Macalania as well who found Lady Yuna's / Jyscal's sphere.
63. Portly guy in brown overcoat. In Luca he shows up saying he fled Bevelle and packed only winter clothes. In the Calm Lands he's riding a chocobo guiding you back to Bevelle, also blocking the way to Tidus' weapon. In Macalania he's pigging out in the monks' chamber.
64. Svanda the chocobo trainer, also on the north gorge of the Calm Lands. Also in the stands at Luca sometimes. Also in the Macalania Travel Agency saying, "Surely Lady Yuna's no traitor!" Also in the nuns' chamber in Macalania Temple.
65. Crusader in purple and green, kinda grisly colors. He's everywhere, including swinging a sword in Gorge training camp hoping to rebuild along with the Yocun fan.
66. Blue-haired Ronso woman in yellow tunic, NOT a Ronso fang, seen in Luca stands, also appears at Mt. Gagazet being impressed all to heck by how Kimahri's grown in confidence and strength. Actual NPC continuity in X-2 -- she seems to have become his girlfriend. There's also a white-haired Ronso woman in a burgundy tunic who shows up in Luca Stands and on Gagazet.
67. One older Ronso plus a Ronso little girl (no horn) shows up in Luca and on Gagazet after Seymour wipes most of them out.

yes, I'm insane like those people who try to play FFX with no Sphere Grid-- I've spent the last play-through getting to know all the npcs and compiling my own FFX transcript (http://www.istad.org/aulu) of the game.

Jessweeee♪
12-12-2007, 03:09 PM
Whoa...that's awesome :exdee:

Hey, you should look in that thread in General Final Fantasy!

Strawberry_Mew
12-12-2007, 05:39 PM
I would have to agree with the Cali thing....there is no way a little girl can grow that big in 2 years o.o

Nifleheim7
12-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Oh, oh, me me, pick me, teacher! I actually have gotten to know most of the npcs. A lot of them have backstories, at least a bit, or certain hangups or things they care about. There ARE multiple uses of each npc, but I can count about 65 from memory, meaning there's probably around 70-- or around 100 if you also include the Dream Zanarkand models (who don't overlap the Spiran one). That's not really very lazy. :)

The Cast of NPCs in FFX

1. The woman in the green skirt, purplish shirt. In Besaid she's a refugee from a village destroyed by Sin, and she's kinda depressing. But she pops up lots of places. In Luca, I remember she's sitting on the circular bench in the middle of the causeway talking to another woman -- at first they're comparing notes on whether the Al Bhed or Ronso are more sexy! I think there's another of her in Luca square talking to the seated guard and the man in the brown vest about this and that.
2. The gal with the golden-orange tunic and the red headband. Wanders Luca Square. Gets gypped by O'aka outside the Shoopuf loading platform on the north wharf. Also makes a cameo as Wantz's and O'aka's little sister on the farplane.
3. The guy in the purple coat and yellow pants. On Besaid he's trying to corner the market on the fabric trade. He's also a frequent spectator in the stands at Luca. And he's one of the groupies who surrounds Yuna in the Moonflow north wharf pavillion.
4. The guy with no shirt, red and white shorts. On Besaid he's the younger of the two male weavers who's always sneaking off to hang out at the temple, or feeling put upon by the older guy. In Luca he's a Kilika Beasts fan. On the Mi'hen Highroad he's seen late in the game banging his head against a pillar and being depressed. In Kilika he and his wife show up by the temple to say goodbye before they leave-- Sin's attack was too much for them. He shows up pretty much everywhere.
5. The guy with the bare chest, tattoos, fish necklace and white baggy pants with a big leather codpiece. On Besaid he's Vilucha's husband, daddy to the kid with the green headband, and a fisherman much worried about getting et by Sin. On the S.S. Liki he's the righthand harpooner who turns into a wuss after the Sin battle. In Kilika he's always jogging around on the dock near the inn. In Luca he's a rabid Kilika Beasts fan.
6. Vilucha, she of the snazzy blue outfit that shows off her tummy and most of her butt (prelude to X-2, aie). In Besaid she's a rather straightlaced weaver who stays in her house ALL THE TIME unlike pretty much everyone else on the island. In Kilika she's up at the temple looking for "celebrities"... or else she's Isken's girlfriend apologizing for his rude behavior due to toxin. In Luca she's wandering around the square being snooty about the Al Bhed. Another one in the cafe talking to Shuu.
7. Little boy in green headband, torn between wanting to join the Aurochs and the Crusaders. He's mostly only on Besaid, but inexplicably, when you go to the beach he suddenly acquires a twin. Who should probably actually be....
8. Slightly older boy in dark red poncho. On Besaid, usually found in the temple praying for the Aurochs to score at least one goal. Much impressed by the story of Lord Zaon, wishing he was old enough to be a guardian and help Yuna. Born about the time that Braska and his guardians came to Besaid. His sprite gets reused on most places whenever a young lad is needed -- notably as one of the Luca Goer fans who migrates to Dock 3 after the tournament and tries to discourage Sis from stowing away on the Winno. He's also the kid whose ball Tidus kicks on the Mi'ihen Highroad. And the kid who gets lost and fetches up near the glowy sphere crystal thing in Macalania Woods during the Cloudy Mirror quest.
9. The merchant in Besaid with the red headband and white halter top. She's a repeat later on the S.S. Liki, and I've never been sure if she's supposed to be the same merchant there. Also shows up as a merchant outside the south (?) pavillion on the moonflow. In Luca she's on the causeway to the mainland grumbling about this and that, disapproving of Crusaders.
10. Ubiquitous portly guy in white vest (variant: in yellow vest, the helmsman of the Liki and Winno). On Besaid he's a Crusader who's conveniently forgotten everything due to Sin's toxin, so he misses Mi'ihen and frets over what's happening to Gatta and Luzzu. In Luca he seems to be #9's boyfriend, and is always fussing about ferry service. On the Mi'ihen Highroad he plants himself near Mi'ihen's statue and explains about it, mostly recapping what Maechen said, also making disparaging remarks about modern Crusaders. On the south wharf of the Moonflow he's a thug of a merchant.
11. Man in green shirt, white baggy pants. On Besaid he's Mr. Fixit, a self-proclaimed wuss who's no good at hunting fiends, so he helps out the Crusaders and village by fixing huts. In Luca he's the "spoony bard" of the main square who tries to make a pass at a warrior monk and fails miserably. In Kilika he's a rather cynical bloke over on the lefthand side of the village trying to repair the damage outside of Isken's hut.
12. Man in yellow shirt, blue pants. On Besaid he's the old coot weaver who almost never leaves his loom and doesn't put up with much nonsense. In Luca he's some bloke up in the stands who doesn't think the Aurochs have a snowball's chance in hell. In Kilika he's up by the temple praying that Sin won't come back.
13. The Old Codger. On Besaid Tidus calls him "gramps," and he answers a lot of questions, although he also calls him a "heathen" that evening. If you visit later he scoffs at every rumor -- the Aurochs winning, the airship, Yuna a traitor. Likable chap. There's a couple of him in Kilika, one outside the Inn being philosophical about his grandchildren killed in the attack, another inside the inn somewhat shellshocked and saying he just wants to stay in Kilika and live in peace and quiet. He's also on the south wharf shoopuf loading platform insisting that that machina is a-okay, Yevon-certified, yessiree! And he's got a granddaughter he visits on the Farplane.
14. The Old Lady who tells Tidus, "Stay away from the Summoner!" and doesn't trust him farther than she can throw him. "What trick have you pulled on good Lady Yuna?" she asks after the news of her supposed traitor-hood gets around. Or, "You, a guardian? Toxin still gettin' to you, eh?" She's also a rabid Luca Goers fan, along with her granddaughter, and there's one of her hanging out by the north wharf pavillion.
15. Calli, the little girl in red with pigtails. Also aforementioned Luca Goers fan who moves to dock 3 and wants so much to be a sailor. Also the daughter of Jumal, the little girl with the red balloon in Luca Square.
16. The little girl with a white top and red shorts, Yuna's young friend, who misses her a lot and is always talking about what they'll do when Yuna comes home. Also the little sister of Kulukan the Kilika Beast member and bartender of Kilika -- Tidus can save this girl from a collapsing hut. Also seen running around on the Mi'ihen Highroad, playing with her brother.
17. The woman in the short white dress with a pale blue cap. She's rather devout in Besaid, always hanging around the temple. In Kilika she stands at the end of a walkway staring out to sea, and can't come to grips with the Sin attack because she lost her father. (She's the woman who falls down weeping in the Dance FMV).
18. Woman in tan tunic and brown leggings, looking for her son in Luca, and later on -- I think this really is the same person -- she misplaces both her husband and son in Macalania Woods -- this is the lady whose husband you have to find in the Cloudy Mirror sidequest. She and her husband end up in the Calm Lands Travel Agency, and she's a little worried about her son getting too friendly with the Al Bhed.
19. Her husband, gold tunic and green undershirt, brown pants. Sitting on a bench near Shaami the reporter in Luca, can't remember what he talks about there. Again, may really be same person.
20. Man in a white tabard with blue accents. In Luca he's wandering near the stadium entrance and fairly doubtful of the Auroch's chances; near the end of the game he decides to join the Crusaders. Another one shows up near the Moonflow late in the game saying he's fled the chaos in Bevelle but can't run any farther. There's another one on the Mi'ihen Highroad who reckons that the Summoners are Spira's only hope.
21. Dumpy woman in a lilac-purple dress. In Besaid she was a weaver, but her last shipment went down due to Sin, and she seems to occupy herself by bustling into every single person's house, clucking about the Crusaders, and generally looking after people, also babysitting the kids on the beach. On the Mi'ihen Highroad, a clone of her is always near the billboard for Rin's Agency, mostly making uncertain comments about Al Bhed -- late in the game she seems to grow more reconciled to them. Another one near the Shoopuf on the south wharf.
22. Man in blue vest, khaki pants. One wandering around Luca near the sphere Theater. One on the Highroad. One on the beach after Operation Mi'ihen who grumbles about the Al Bhed leaving their "crap" (the wreckage of the gun) blocking the road -- he's a merchant -- and later he grumbles about the Warrior Monks leaving the road unguarded.
23. Sailor in blue, the other harpooner. Clone of him on the Winno is a Yuna-groupie.
24. Sailor in green with a blue shower cap (!) in Besaid, stopping by for some "R&R", but he never gets around to leaving. Another one like him on Dock 3 at the ramp to the ferry.
25. Kiryuu -- there's several versions of the female sailor in the striped pants with blue cap, all connected with one ferry or the other.
26. Shuu, the woman in red in the Luca Cafe, also the gull-counter on the S.S. Liki and later a refugee from Bevelle standing outside the campsite in Macalania Woods.
27. Biggs, Wedge, and 2 other colors of Luca Guards.
28. Sixteen jillion ladies in a pom-pom hat and orange skirt and coat; Shaami the reporter. These are all over Luca. In X-2 they're all over Zanarkand.
29. The girl in the yellow smock and blue blouse with pigtails; Valefor's Fayth. Later talking to man on Mi'ihen Highroad, also a spectator in the "Let the Games Begin" FMV.
30. Ah, I forgot about the merchant's little sister! That's the one whom Calli grows into rather alarmingly in X-2. In X she's the sister of the Besaid merchant who minds her shop sometimes; she's usually got a dog with her. Also appears a few other places, although she looks enough like her sister I get them confused. Oh yeah, later on the Winno, she's spying on another Vilucha clone married to Gramps the Retired Blitzer, wondering if they're married (naaaah) or simply related.
31. Man in yellow shirt with brown pants, blue embroidery on his sleeves. He's hanging out on dock number 3 sometimes; there's another on the Luca causeway.
32. Calli's mom -- pink and brown. Oddly, I don't remember seeing her anywhere else, but she's gotta be; she can't be the only unique npc model.
33. Al Bhed guy in red vest with blond hair sticking up. Always wandering outside Stadium entrance. Another one in Luca Cafe arguing with Small Beaky Guy in Purple.
34. Small beaky guy in red (Toblii) being annoying near Shaami the reporter on the causeway in Luca. I think it really is Toblii -- he's always trying to sell tickets. Another one is in the hallway to the Goers' locker room before the tournament, and he's also in the sphere theater.
35. Four sets of musicians -- bird/harp man, honker cat, and drummer frog.
36. Al Bhed woman in red skintight outfit a bit like the Fifth Element -- Nhadala in X-2. In X she's always flirting with Tidus outside the stadium; later on she's Linna outside of macalania temple ("It's cold, isn't it?") and another in the Macalania Travel Agency.
37. Al Bhed woman in bikini, watching the Calm Lands Travel Agency (a blitzball player whose name escapes me). Another one in the cabin on the airship. Another is the Scary Mom who blows away fiends with Machina near the Mi'ihen Travel Agency later in the game.
38. All the chocobo rental gals look the same -- there's 3 -- plus there's another clone of her watching the kids near the overlook, and another in the airship cabin.
39. Buddy actually appears twice... I can't bally tell the difference between Nimrook and Eigarr (Eigarr may be darker-skinned, but it's hard to tell in the blitz pool).
40. Keyakuu is EVERYWHERE. At the beginning of the game, he has fun slapping Tidus around on the salvage ship. When Yuna breaks out of the Al Bhed ship, he's the guy that slumps to the deck. He's Keyakuu who dies just as the party reaches the outskirts of home and tells Rikku with his dying breath, "Guado... Yevon." He's on the lefthand side of the airship bridge next to Brother. And there's one of him up on the observation deck, vowing revenge against Yevon. He's also one of the guys that shows up on a snowmobile on Lake Macalania along with Brother.
41. Nedus, the Al Bhed with the Gas Mask. First appearance is asking Rikku, "Shall we kill it? / In death they are the same." He's one of the two guys on the salvage ship besides Brother who bops Tidus with a gun. He's Nedus on Dock 1 in Luca, who gets airsick easily. He's another who helps try and kidnap Yuna on Lake Macalania. There's one of him in the airship cabin, another up on the observation deck along with Keyakuu Clone.
42. Bearded older Al Bhed. One winds up in the Mi'ihen Highroad agency griping about Elder Cid dropping him off when he's quite capable of fighting -- says at least Rin's on the airship to keep Cid from getting too big for his britches. The other is in the airship cabin, and takes it upon himself to be the Scotty of that ship, always keeping Tidus informed about the ship's operations, whether the gun's working, etc. He was also one of the guys that accompanied Rikku into Baaj temple at the start of the game.
43. There's another male Al Bhed who looks like Keyakuu in khaki... can't remember where he pops up (airship cabin, I think) but he's around and about.
44. Al Bhed with blue cap, seen on salvage ship and a few other places. That blue cap seems to mean "sailor" in this world.
45. Warrior monk in red and gold (also seen as younger Kinoc). Apparently an officer, because he's rarer than...
46. Standard warrior monk in gray armor with green shirt. Everywhere.
47. Female warrior monk in similar armor. Ditto. (Turns down "spoony bard" in Luca square.)
48. Green chunky guy outside Luca Cafe. Oddly, this guy really IS a unique sprite-- he's always there.
49.Female Crusader In Need of Pants. In particular there's one around and about the stadium entrance, but you bump into her here and there.
50. Yaibal -- style crusader, in blue, green, old green, or dusty brown armor; apparently these are grunt soldiers, because they're everywhere.
51. Beclem/Kyou Crusader in red, white, blue. One on fork to Moonflow from Mi'ihen Highroad. One guards way into Djose temple (that's Kyou). Various places during Operation Mi'ihen. Sits on round bench outside Luca Stadium.
52. Miyu, female Crusader in red. Near beginning of game she's on round bench outside Luca Stadium; disappears after Operation Mi'ihen. Miyu is sitting on a bench near north wharf of Moonflow on way to Guadosalam.
52. Female crusader in dusty blue/gray. Ubiquitous.
53. Female Crusader in yellow and green. One appears on Mi'ihen Highroad eager to emulate Lady Yocun.
54. Crusader in gold tunic, rust pants. One of them is in Mi'ihen Highroad Agency after the Operation's over, waiting for a war buddy to show up, while fellow Crusader doesn't have heart to tell him his buddy is dead.
55. Guado teenaged girl in red pigtails, pinkish red outfit, roaming Luca Square and gushing about Seymour and her brother his bodyguard. Another one of her is in the House of the Fusty Elders in Guadosalam talking about Seymour almost as much.
56. Older Hooded Guado woman: one's in the Guadosalam items shop, proud of her husband who guards Seymour. Another is talking to a blitzer on the ramp leading up to the Farplane, and is missing a friend of hers who died in the attack on home. Another is near the Moonflow north pavilion, observing Yuna.
57. Snooty older Guado woman in Guado Glories house looks familair but I honest to gosh don't remember any tidbits about her.
58. Various Guado guards -- all seem to be clones. There's the tall elegant one in blue or green livery, and the hunched-over dishevelled old one (I suppose that would be hooded lady's husband.)
58 Mifury -- lady in green and yhellow smock wandering Luca Square and pondering starting up a business does so, but she's now a receptionist for the Al Bhed Agency in the Thunder Plains (I think, that or Macalania).
59 Ten jillion Shinras (small Al bhed kids) in blue or rust-colored pants.
60. Monk in orange, monk in green, monk in red (unique to Djose, oddly), and monk in purple all wrapped up like Father Zuke.
61. Monk in green with little Jackie O cap, found in Kilika Temple Courtyard being a wuss, also in monks' chamber in Macalania.
62. Shiva's Fayth = nun in Macalania as well who found Lady Yuna's / Jyscal's sphere.
63. Portly guy in brown overcoat. In Luca he shows up saying he fled Bevelle and packed only winter clothes. In the Calm Lands he's riding a chocobo guiding you back to Bevelle, also blocking the way to Tidus' weapon. In Macalania he's pigging out in the monks' chamber.
64. Svanda the chocobo trainer, also on the north gorge of the Calm Lands. Also in the stands at Luca sometimes. Also in the Macalania Travel Agency saying, "Surely Lady Yuna's no traitor!" Also in the nuns' chamber in Macalania Temple.
65. Crusader in purple and green, kinda grisly colors. He's everywhere, including swinging a sword in Gorge training camp hoping to rebuild along with the Yocun fan.
66. Blue-haired Ronso woman in yellow tunic, NOT a Ronso fang, seen in Luca stands, also appears at Mt. Gagazet being impressed all to heck by how Kimahri's grown in confidence and strength. Actual NPC continuity in X-2 -- she seems to have become his girlfriend. There's also a white-haired Ronso woman in a burgundy tunic who shows up in Luca Stands and on Gagazet.
67. One older Ronso plus a Ronso little girl (no horn) shows up in Luca and on Gagazet after Seymour wipes most of them out.

yes, I'm insane like those people who try to play FFX with no Sphere Grid-- I've spent the last play-through getting to know all the npcs and compiling my own FFX transcript (http://www.istad.org/aulu) of the game.

:eek: :eek: :whoa: :whoa:
Dude,this is insane...what can i say...the developers should send you a present or something!

cally777
12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Fascinating stuff! (I mean yr list, auronlu, I'm not going to copy it again!)
The lady in the Calm Lands shop is Naida the Blitzball player, BTW. Usually gets drooled over by fan boys (cos she wears a bikini, duh!) But not so hot IMHO. Except at blitzing.

:choc::choc::choc:

auronlu
12-13-2007, 11:18 AM
Naida, that's right. I was drawing a blank. Then again, it's scary to be able to remember all that.

I really want to know what all the blond and/or pale people of Spira use to prevent sunburn (Lulu included)!

Renmiri
12-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Water Flan oil ?