PDA

View Full Version : FFXII

Realm25
11-08-2007, 11:34 PM
It's probably just me, because I know a LOT of people absolutely loved the game, but I feel like it went WAY too far from it's roots. To me, it didn't feel like playing Final Fantasy, and that alone ruined it for me.

Anybody agree at all?

Crossblades
11-08-2007, 11:53 PM
Why did you post this in General FF? FF XII has it's own forum >_>

And I'm open to change. I enjoyed this game because it was different to other FFs

Laddy
11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
I liked it, but I don't see why it is so great compared to others.

Psychotic
11-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Why did you post this in General FF? FF XII has it's own forum >_>Yes, it does! Thread has now been moved to the proper place. :choc2:

Realm25
11-09-2007, 12:12 AM
I posted it in general because I'm guessing most people on the FFXII board are fans of the game, whereas I'm looking for people who aren't, but I guess it matters not :)

At any rate, I fell for the hype, bought it as soon as it came out, got home all excited and stuff...damn, what a disappointment. I felt like I was playing a crappy MMO, only I was the only person playing :) I hope for any future games, they go back to their roots.

Ouch!
11-09-2007, 01:36 AM
You clearly have not looked much at FFXIII then, have you? =D

Realm25
11-09-2007, 02:23 AM
I've seen screen shots and what not, it saddens me to say the least. It's too high-tech, I mean even summons are going to be mechanical I hear. I realize this is the year 2007, but come on, I wanna play Final Fantasy, not Mech-Fantasy, or..I dunno, some other fancy name. Granted, I'm okay with the steampunk theme, like they had going in FF6, and 7, etc, but mechanical summons..blah, I'll pass.

Anyways, this forum is about FFXII, what did you guys feel was it's biggest problem, or drawback? if any, of course.

Hazzard
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Realm25, you're living in the past. Get over it.

There comes a time when improvements are needed, or when trends are supposed to be replaced with new changes, and I personally welcome the futuristic theme of XIII. It seems different, spontaneous and unique, clearly setting a tone for a new era of Final Fantasy games.

XII was a great game, and you didn't give any valid reasons why you should shun it.

demondude
11-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Fran has a sexy ass.

And numerous other things that make this game great.

Vivisteiner
11-09-2007, 10:44 PM
^The Bestiary makes this game great.

The rest can rot in hell for all I care. ;)

Renmiri
11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Realm25, posting this so I don't leave you alone with the rabid fans.

I and a lot of other FF fans felt XII had serious issues but we have debated this to death here. Look at older threads, ok ? You are not alone, just very late to the party and my hangover is killing me ;)

boys from the dwarf
11-10-2007, 08:48 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xii/109432-dull-story.html

this is a very good thread. on a few pages (especially the last) i made some good points.

FFXIIs gameplay is too different to compare to the others but as a game, FFXII isn't massively better or worse than any other FF because of preferences and opinions.

remnant1
11-10-2007, 03:57 PM
what i think is a draw back for FFXll is,as realm25 said,it pulls from its roots,from the traditional games.

Im all for the gambit system and all that,but what gets me are the creatures.the behemoths are traditionally huge pwners and in this game,there no bigger than some of the NPCs.I remember back in the day when i seen a marlboro,and it uses bad breath and then i die.i HATED fighting them,but in FFXll,these clasic killers look like pansies,and thier bad breath alternative does very little(exept the cassie's time requiem).

And as for the summons,PAH!there all ships.and the creatures you get to summon suck so much that its pointless to even make them some of the strongest enimies in the game.you spend all this time and effort into killing one,then you can summon it and your all"sweet im gana own with this guy"but then you summon him and he dies.

Bolivar
11-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Here's the thing. When you think about the traditional FF, the dialogue scenes, the battle scenes, the Uematsu music glueing it all together, the boss confrontations, fixed cameras, the victory fanfare at the end of each battle...

Those days are gone and they're never coming back.

The first nine games are always going to be definitive of what Final Fantasy used to be, developers like Tanaka and Ishii say something along the lines that we are now in the new versions of Final Fantasy, following FFX. X wrapped up all that and showed where the series could go. FFXI is completely different, FFXII is completely different, and from what I hear with what they're trying to do with the battle systems, I think XIII and Versus XIII will be very different also.

That's how I've realized that XII didn't break away from tradition, the tradition is gone, and each new title in the series will most likely try to do something that hasn't been done before. And in the end, that's cool, because that's what FF is about. XII is one of my favorite games.

BG-57
11-12-2007, 03:01 PM
It's not any single thing that makes an FF feel like an FF, it's many things: Chocobos, Summons, Uematsu music, to name a few. While FFXII is lacking a few of these things, it didn't reach critical mass for me. In FFX-2 it did.

It does have some serious drawbacks, including the random treasure chest system, the way the Zodiac Spear was handled, and especially the Bazaar. But overall, that didn't ruin the experience for me.

Raebus
11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I say we send Realm back to the past with old and very old ff games aplenty. I'm sure some people won't miss him here.

Clawsze
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
I say we send Realm back to the past with old and very old ff games aplenty. I'm sure some people won't miss him here.

NO, he would enjoy that.....
But seriously, FFXII was a good game, it was just(as all FF games were) weak in some areas, and it changed a few things. If FF didn't change, it would had died on FF2.

Karellen
11-13-2007, 01:32 AM
This game was too much like a Final Fantasy game for my liking. Yasumi Matsuno's style is completely different to the FF series and trying to mesh the two together is kind of like Titus Andronicus being raped by The OC. Honestly, if Matsuno had just done his own thing like he did in Tactics the whole project would have been so much better.

Not that I think the game is overly bad mind you. FFXII is probably the biggest step forward that the genre has seen in years.

Bolivar
11-13-2007, 04:49 PM
This game was too much like a Final Fantasy game for my liking. Yasumi Matsuno's style is completely different to the FF series and trying to mesh the two together is kind of like Titus Andronicus being raped by The OC. Honestly, if Matsuno had just done his own thing like he did in Tactics the whole project would have been so much better.

Not that I think the game is overly bad mind you. FFXII is probably the biggest step forward that the genre has seen in years.

Definately agree on some of this, but you gotta remember that Matsuno was taken off the project and replaced as Exec Producer by the guy who directed FFII (probably why there's so many allusions to that game), plus the scenario writer was an assistant writer for FFX, alot of the graphical designers also worked on that game, one of the co-directors who replaced Matsuno has worked on almost every Final Fantasy since the first one (including game design for Tactics).

Karellen
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Point taken. Replace "...if Matsuno had just done things his own way..." with "...if Square had let Matsuno do things his own way instead of pissing him off until he mysteriously 'fell in' and left...".

remnant1
11-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Here's the thing. When you think about the traditional FF, the dialogue scenes, the battle scenes, the Uematsu music glueing it all together, the boss confrontations, fixed cameras, the victory fanfare at the end of each battle...

Those days are gone and they're never coming back.

The first nine games are always going to be definitive of what Final Fantasy used to be...

if these days are gone and will never come back,as you say,then how do you explain the reason why square is remaking almost all of them?have you seen what there doing to fflV?the days of the old are still here.clasics never die