PDA

View Full Version : I hate you but I'll beat you anyway

ReloadPsi
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
There's been a lot of games that, despite how much you hate them, you just gotta complete anyway because everyone else has, or because people accuse you of "not giving it a chance".

Three such games stick out for me: Super Mario 64, Metal Gear Solid 3 and Final Fantasy 10 (the latter I slowly grew to love once I could get past Overdrive Sin).

With Super Mario 64, I always criticised the game for feeling "rushed" and "incomplete" (it's really hard to describe, but I know a few people who have seen eye to eye with me after I used that word then got them to go play it again) and having some utterly horrible cameras, which to this day I still believe is the only challenge in the game (and yes, I did get all 120 stars and meet Yoshi). Also, thanks mostly to this game, when a game has bad camera angles, I instantly stop playing and refuse to continue (Devil May Cry being the most notable): I've given "fake difficulty" a chance once already, I'm not doing it again. Banjo Kazooie came out some time later and I loved it. It was everything Mario 64 should have been, in that you could actually friggin' play it.

MGS3: This game made me laugh at so many times when I don't think it was appropriate to do so. The Boss in her Villain Costume (apparently it was a new sneaking suit or something, but I call it a Villain Costume, proper noun), The Fear's lame stating-the-obvious taunts, such as "HOW DEOZ IT FEEL 2 B ATTAKD BY TEH THING YUO CANNOT SEA!!!!!11" (My answer: "The same as it feels to be shot by an ordinary camouflaged enemy hiding in the bushes I suppose."), the highly gratuitous Raikov injoke, The Boss on her horse (was it white? It must have been, or else I wouldn't have laughed so much), and The Fury, who just struck me as a bit of a dick. I enjoyed the challenge of having no radar, it was more realistic that way (Soliton Radar wasn't exactly developed until the 2000s), but it's not much help if when moving towards the right, the camera decides to track you in such a way that you fill the right hand side of the screen! That's like running backwards! The game didn't take me long to finish, but once I did it was the last time.

Final Fantasy 10! My initial hatred of this game was legendary amongst my peers for its irritating protagonist, poor voice acting and long, unskippable cutscenes (I'd usually skip spoken lines once I'd read them... when it let me. Anyone remember my old topic in the FFX forum?), but after I'd gotten past all the linear parts of the game, I finally grew to love it. The game's battle system had already made me keep on playing as CTB was just so fun for some reason, and I was overjoyed to esentially have my favourite Time Mage as the main character's Job, even if he did piss me off!

So there you go. Don't any of you ever say that I don't give games a chance now, will you?

Note: I have a very strong feeling that this thread is gonna be full of people citing FFX-2 as an example. I also predict that I will be flamed to high hell for my first two examples, as well as my honorary mention.

Other note: I also think that games aren't supposed to be given a chance: They're supposed to not be crap.

theundeadhero
11-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I didn't realize how much I hated Lunar: SSS until after I had beaten it. The repetitiveness of every monster fight is enough to drive someone derranged.

KentaRawr!
11-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Metroid Prime 2, I suppose. I don't know what it was about that game, but I simply didn't like it. I beat it anyway, though.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM
My roomate and I got this game called "Magi" off some site's free game giveaway day (the game is normally $20). It was an interesting concept, but the execution, balance and general setup were absolutely atrocious.

We found a way to break the game, and never played it again. But not before making a post on how to never lose in the game and having all the rabid fanboys jump to defend it.

It's always fun to see people argue that their strategy would demolish the strategy you use that always wins when you're playing a game that DOESN'T HAVE MULTIPLAYER CAPABILITIES.

Heath
11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I didn't realize how much I hated Lunar: SSS until after I had beaten it. The repetitiveness of every monster fight is enough to drive someone derranged.

Not played SSS, but I felt that way at the end of GBA version (Lunar Legend) towards the end.

Also agreed fully with the horrid camera angles of Mario 64. I thought it was an enjoyable game but Banjo-Kazooie was much better. It was Rare that made most of great N64 games, after all.

Captain Maxx Power
11-10-2007, 11:56 PM
MGS3...The game didn't take me long to finish, but once I did it was the last time.

A year or so ago I actually started a thread pertaining to my hatred of the MGS franchise as a whole and was duly trounced by the morons around these parts. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who think it's a trite, over-rated pile of second-rate garbage.

I actually had an inverse reaction with FF12. When I first starting playing through it I loved it. Absolutely adored it, couldn't get enough. Then I got further...and the story lugged...Penelo became more and more superfluous...nearly all of the characters failed to show anything beyond their initial development...sorry, I have to spend HOW long hunting for item drops? Seriously, I've never in my life known myself go through such a turn around on a game. Now I consider it to be a badly designed, utterly flawed game and perhaps the weakest in the series.

NeoCracker
11-11-2007, 12:20 AM
MGS3...The game didn't take me long to finish, but once I did it was the last time.

A year or so ago I actually started a thread pertaining to my hatred of the MGS franchise as a whole and was duly trounced by the morons around these parts. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who think it's a trite, over-rated pile of second-rate garbage.

I actually had an inverse reaction with FF12. When I first starting playing through it I loved it. Absolutely adored it, couldn't get enough. Then I got further...and the story lugged...Penelo became more and more superfluous...nearly all of the characters failed to show anything beyond their initial development...sorry, I have to spend HOW long hunting for item drops? Seriously, I've never in my life known myself go through such a turn around on a game. Now I consider it to be a badly designed, utterly flawed game and perhaps the weakest in the series.

I think "Second Rate" is being a little nice actually.

Seraphic
11-11-2007, 12:30 AM
Haunting Ground I guess...I mean I really loved it at first,but after the first guy was done and out of the picture,all the other monsters just really seemed subpar, like the maid and all those other things.
The story was never really explained either.
Found myself finishing it just to finish.
Chaos Legion was another good example, I got bored at like level 3 but kept playing just to finish,which the ending was not good at all,all the story was left for the end,so it all seemed rushed.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Couldn't agree more. I like Penelo but they've not given me a reason to like OR dislike her, or most other characters. The only good ones are Balthier and Larsa, and they don't really develop. The game started amazing and went downhill, now it lies unplayed and I don't really care.

Edit: I've tried playing TLoZ: OOT like nine times, and I can never, ever get into it enough to stick with it.

Skyblade
11-11-2007, 01:13 AM
For me, most games fall under this category. I am fairly obsessive when it comes to gaming, and even games I don't like, I'm usually prone to complete. A true measure of how bad I consider a game is when I refuse to finish it. It takes something really bad to ruin a game enough to get me to stop playing it (and FFXII is an example of one of those games).

Rengori
11-11-2007, 01:35 AM
I think Final Fantasy X was it.

FFXII would be on there but its just too painful.

Genome
11-11-2007, 03:06 AM
It's always fun to see people argue that their strategy would demolish the strategy you use that always wins when you're playing a game that DOESN'T HAVE MULTIPLAYER CAPABILITIES.
That is always amusing, and I know exactly what you mean.

I've only ever beaten FFVII, because I have some problem where I get bored of a game and then never touch it again. It's annoying sometimes.

Jessweeee♪
11-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Final Fantasy IV. I hadn't played any FFs before FFVII after that and I was tired of the YOU KIDS AND YOUR PLAYSTATION FFs IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE NONE OF THAT YOUTH SAVES THE WORLD CRAP AND WE WERE A LOT BETTER OFF WITHOUT IT so I was like, FINE, I NEED A PORTABLE FINAL FANTASY ANYWAY and I played FFIV.

I did not like it. Eventually I just popped in the Action Replay and made Cecil super strong so I could get through the story.

Genome
11-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Final Fantasy IV. I hadn't played any FFs before FFVII after that and I was tired of the YOU KIDS AND YOUR PLAYSTATION FFs IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE NONE OF THAT YOUTH SAVES THE WORLD CRAP AND WE WERE A LOT BETTER OFF WITHOUT IT so I was like, FINE, I NEED A PORTABLE FINAL FANTASY ANYWAY and I played FFIV.

I did not like it. Eventually I just popped in the Action Replay and made Cecil super strong so I could get through the story.
This is madness! D:

Nifleheim7
11-11-2007, 05:10 AM
FFX-2 is the first that comes to my mind (although there are others too).
It was a constant love-hate situation while playing it...i still have mixed feelings about it.

Jessweeee♪
11-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Ah....FFX-2 :p

I liked it...it was okay...though I was disappointed. They had the opportunity to create and absolute masterpiece but they made a game that was kinda good :(

Rostum
11-11-2007, 06:09 AM
If I don't like a game, I don't play through it. A fairly simple concept; I just can't grasp the reasoning behind why you would play through a game you detest.

Markus. D
11-11-2007, 06:49 PM
If you really, really wanna beat it to see if it becomes any better.

Slothy
11-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Zelda OoT. I've beaten it twice and I doubt I ever will again.

Resident Evil 4. I've gone into just why this game is terrible so many times on this board that I won't bother rehashing my feelings on it. Long story short, it's got more than it's fair share of flaws that suck anything resembling fun out of the game.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Resident Evil 4. I've gone into just why this game is terrible so many times on this board that I won't bother rehashing my feelings on it. Long story short, it's got more than it's fair share of flaws that suck anything resembling fun out of the game.

This is, in fact, madness.

DK
11-11-2007, 07:57 PM

Couldn't agree more. I like Penelo but they've not given me a reason to like OR dislike her, or most other characters. The only good ones are Balthier and Larsa, and they don't really develop. The game started amazing and went downhill, now it lies unplayed and I don't really care.

Edit: I've tried playing TLoZ: OOT like nine times, and I can never, ever get into it enough to stick with it.

FFXII started off mediocre and just got worse AFAIC. Got halfway through and was utterly bored of it so I traded it in for something better.

And Ditto on OoT, though I haven't tried that many times. Maybe like 5.

Heath
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I think I enjoyed FFXII pretty consistently throughout the game. My interest waned a little, but that was rather self-inflicted due to exams coming up. I certainly know the feeling of a game starting off great and then you lose interest as time goes on.

Shoeberto
11-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Metroid Prime 2, I suppose. I don't know what it was about that game, but I simply didn't like it. I beat it anyway, though.
I didn't dislike it but it didn't feel as revolutionary as the first. It was just like... more of the same, but with a less interesting world and the annoying dark aether stuff tacked on.

I forced myself through Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption (not the cool FPS one, but the one that came years before that). But I also used cheat codes. It was basically an impulse buy (I really wanted something neat to play and it looked kinda cool) but ultimately the gameplay was painful, so I cheated my way through it.

Nifleheim7
11-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Seconded.

Slothy
11-12-2007, 06:00 AM

I like you MILF, but I will kick you into a bottomless pit if need be. :p

Mr Cactuar
11-12-2007, 06:37 AM

That's exactly how I played it. I was obsessed with it to begin with, thought the story was brilliant but it never...advanced...at...all.

On topic though, I'd have to say any GTA game and the PS2 Baldurs Gate games.

boys from the dwarf
11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
unfourtunately FFXII

not that its a bad game but the gameplay didn't really suit me. it took me 3 playthoughs to beat and the last was because i hyperleveled a fair bit.

if it was my thing and i wanted to, i would have stuck at a normal playthrough., but i really only wanted to see the main story which is difficult and stressful because the sidestory is a huge part of FFXII.

its a great game but its differents and more MMO style which didn't suit me very well.

Skyblade
11-12-2007, 04:02 PM
That's exactly how I played it. I was obsessed with it to begin with, thought the story was brilliant but it never...advanced...at...all.

The story developed quite nicely, IMHO. But none of the characters did. We had a lot of backstory points and opportunities for character development, but, despite their potential, the characters didn't show any emotional involvement in the game. But even that wasn't the game breaking point for me.

FFX-2 wasn't as bad. It didn't live up to its full potential, but it did alright. The worst thing about it was its horrible, horrible music. I did finish that one.

Tavrobel
11-12-2007, 04:43 PM
FFX-2 and FFXII. Never before had I met games in which I desired more NOT to finish them, but I wound up doing so, simply because I paid for them, so it might as well be worth my money.

I made it back in FFXII. I'm still waiting for FFX-2.

Other than that, there's the games I do enjoy, but can't ever be arsed to complete them, due to restrictions on my time.

LunarWeaver
11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I also somehow beat Lunar: SSSS and looking back I cannot fathom how I had the patience.

And this will get me eaten alive, but I didn't like FFVI at all. It took me like 3 years and 100 tries to finally play it from beginning to end. The only reason I beat it is because nobody would leave me the fuck alone until I did. Well, I did beat it, and I thought it was boring as hell. Nobody tell Mullet.

Roto13
11-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Shame on you, Lunar. Shame.

The only game I didn't like that I forced myself to finish was FF VII, because I had finished IV, V, VI, VIII, IX and X and I wanted to be able to say that I finished IV - X. :P It's like VII took the worst parts of the 3D and 2D games and mooshed them together into one crappy blob of boredom.

Also, FF XII 4 eva. xP Gameplay > story.

Dreddz
11-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Shame on you, Roto. Shame.

There was a game called Kessen which I got with my PS2 at launch, it was a horrible game but seeing as I only owned that and Tekken Tag I was compelled to finish it. And as soon as I did that I sold it.

Bolivar
11-12-2007, 09:37 PM

This is madness! D:

THIS IS SPARTA!!!

sorry

Anyway, I can relate with the threadstarter, Psi, on this issue. It's not a bad game, but I had this with Final Fantasy VI. I kept hearing from one friend (and places like here) "ITS THE BEST FF! THE VILLAIN PUTS ALL OTHER FF VILAINS TO SHAME! ITS A MASTERPIECE!!!21!!!1!"

I had played the intro up to the first boss and had to stop, and it didn't really seem all that great. "You Gotta give it a chance!!!" is exactly what I heard. After Figaro I still didn't see what was so great about it. "You gotta get further in it!" Got to the WoR, same bit. I was grinding just before Kefka's tower with everyone and almost everything said "i don't know... it's not THAT great..." and got the "Dude, you gotta play it more..." I'm like, how much further do I actually gotta go? At what point in the Final Dungeon will I finally realize what a great game this is!?

ReloadPsi
11-12-2007, 11:19 PM
If I don't like a game, I don't play through it. A fairly simple concept; I just can't grasp the reasoning behind why you would play through a game you detest.

I mentioned the fact that people will bitch at you for not "giving it a chance" but apparently some important words in posts fly over people's heads.

Marshall Banana
11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Final Fantasy I almost killed me; there is a random encounter every three steps in that game.

Karellen
11-13-2007, 02:15 PM
The first Dragon Warrior game is virtually unplayable. The amount of grinding it forces on you is ridiculous and unnecessary to the point where I can't believe the game ever caught on with anyone. I beat it just to say I had, really.

Children of Mana is another terrible game that I beat due to a lack of better DS games at the time. It has what is possibly the worst design I've seen in years. The only thing that kept me going was the satisfactory boss fights.

Rengori
11-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Final Fantasy I almost killed me; there is a random encounter every three steps in that game.

I actually still haven't beaten that game. I have a tendancy to run from battles and eventually I became too underlevelled to progress and too lazy to level up. I was like Level 12 when I got the class change and I'm pretty sure I'm still under Level 20. I'm at the Wind... Tower... Place thing.

Realm25
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Castlevania X comes to mind for Snes. I dislike every Castlevania game, so I'm not sure why I even bothered to beat it, but yeah.

Another one would have to be Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest, but lately I've been tempted to play through it again, since it's been about 11 or 12 years since I played it.

Flying Mullet
11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
And this will get me eaten alive, but I didn't like FFVI at all. It took me like 3 years and 100 tries to finally play it from beginning to end. The only reason I beat it is because nobody would leave me the smurf alone until I did. Well, I did beat it, and I thought it was boring as hell. Nobody tell Mullet.
:eek:

Polnareff
11-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I actually have several games that I've beaten in spite of just hating them. I'll get killed for some of these, but....

1. Super Mario 64: Camera and the dodgy analog controls ruined this game for me. That and the annoying music. Though I still managed to plug on somehow and get 115 stars of out 120 before beating it. Never picked the game back up since. Actually, I take that back, I owned the DS version hoping to give it another chance, but it's even worse. I didn't even make it through that one.

2. Final Fantasy IV: Would be a great game gameplay-wise if you didn't keep losing the characters that you're training for crappy ones, and then just keep doing that ad nauseum until the end of the game (seriously, losing some cool people for two crappy little mages with no power, magic power, or defense at all that end up getting turned into stone after you wasted so much time to raise them? Stupid.).

The game's story and music are quite good, but the gameplay is so unbalanced, that it's not even worth it for me to beat the game a second time. The Advance version was slightly better, but not by much. I tell you, I was so pissed when I found out how you just switch characters over and over for the whole game and don't have anything to show for it until it's too late.

3. Banjo-Kazooie: I don't know why everyone says this game is so much better than Mario 64. In fact, it controls even worse than that game, and has much worse characters to boot (except Kazooie, she's plain old awesome). I remember being hella excited for this game, well, I got it home, liked it at first, then got to about the swamp part and it went downhill from there. Awful gameplay, music, characters, everything. But I still ended up beating it later on, only missing a couple things (about two years later) because I paid full price for the piece of crap.

4: Lunar SSS: Oh my god, don't get me started on this game. Liked it at first, then got introduced to much better games like Star Ocean 2, and realized just how crappy the game was outside of the characters. Battles plod by so slowly and are devoid of any fun. Luckily I was near the end of the game when I got Star Ocean 2 so I beat Lunar before I started playing that.

5: Final Fantasy XII: Loved it at first, the beginning was interesting, and the gameplay was fun at first too. But then it got devoid of all personality and fun as you had to walk for long stretches and fight really stupid enemies, and you often had to do it for hours and hours at a time with no story progression or anything at all. Blech. I don't think I beat the game, but I did get really close to the end.

KentaRawr!
11-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Castlevania X comes to mind for Snes.

Woah, you had Dracula X? That's pretty rare, but alas, it's one of the worst Castlevania games ever. It's rare for a reason. >_>

Anyway, in order to not veer off-topic, I also forced myself to beat Final Fantasy 2. I honestly don't like it all that much, but I felt I should beat it to unlock the sound test. (It was the Dawn of Souls version of the game.)

basche12
11-20-2007, 08:26 PM
mine would have to be soul caliber 3. i hate that game. i hate that game with a passion. but i played and played that game til i beat the story mode all the way through. i have acually gotten so mad i hit my controller and cracked a bone in my right hand. lol yeah i know its a bad thing but i was very upset. still to this day i have that game. i haven't played it in almost two years but i still have it. for some reason i cant bring myself to go sell it at game stop. so anyway back to my point. soul caliber 3 worst game ever!!!!!!!!!!

holy crap i dont even know what games i have anymore lol. i meant soul caliber 2 that entire time. i have never even play 3. sorry guys

Please do not double post. Use the edit button ~hero

KentaRawr!
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I can understand not liking 3, but 2? Why 2? o_O

basche12
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
well for starters i am a big rpg and 1st person shooter fan and i normally dont play fighting games. but this one looked good so i got it. now im not saying that i am freaking fantastic at playing games but i dont suck something horrible but this game just made me mad every fight. it seemed like it would give you near impossible tasks that i would play over and over and over and over. to sum it up that whys i cant stand it.

KentaRawr!
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Ah, I see. So you weren't good at it. :tongue:

Roto13
11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
And he doesn't like fighters to begin with. xP Even the best fighter ever is still the opposite of an RPG.

TyphoonThaReapa
11-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Any Madden and most NBA games (Well, not like I ended these games), All the GTA games (Some worse than others), FFX-2, FFXII, Star Ocean: Till The End of Time, and a lot more I can't think of right now.

theundeadhero
11-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm surprised so much Lunar SSS made the list.