PDA

View Full Version : The O'Reilly Factor...FOR KIDS!

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Does anyone else have this book? I lawled and lawled.

...I especially love his "instant message" session.

Captain Maxx Power
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
I haven't read the book myself, but I'll guess it has the following in it;

- Why Liberals are a bunch of hippie morons
- Why Jesus hates you if you do "the gay"
- How best to convince your classmates Global Warming is a crock
- Top Ten tips for spotting and deporting local illegal immigrants
- The real benefits of Ad Hominem and why it's perfectly fine to use in debates
- A guide to skipping French class 'cause who needs to learn how to speak French when we all speak American
- Military Conscription; Why you should get yourself killed for America (and how anyone who doesn't want to is a pussy)

Shoeberto
11-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Hmm. Go figure.

Raistlin
11-12-2007, 01:24 AM
Is it as funny as the book <i>Why Mommy is a Democrat?</i>

Political indoctrination aimed at kids is always amusing (and somewhat scary that people actually believe that nonsense).

NeoCracker
11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
O'reily is such a silly bitch.

Genome
11-12-2007, 03:09 AM
I have the book. I think it's the stupidest crock of :skull::skull::skull::skull: ever.

eestlinc
11-12-2007, 08:54 AM
as if parents don't already do enough to indoctrinate kids politically. but, i guess if it sells, why not sell it?

Captain Maxx Power
11-12-2007, 06:22 PM
as if parents don't already do enough to indoctrinate kids politically. but, i guess if it sells, why not sell it?

One could say the same thing about automatic assault rifles and crack cocaine.

Peegee
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
It's not okay if it's a political message but it's okay if it's religion, I guess.

Jessweeee♪
11-13-2007, 01:41 AM
It doesn't get into politics a whole lot :p

Mostly
Don't do drugs
Don't have sex until you're married, or you'll die a horrible horrible STD-related death and your boyfriend will be all lyke "lol slut"
Don't listen to your mp3 player for too long, you become a serial killer
Your parents know best, don't be a sissy whiny baby
Bullying isn't cool
Don't give in to peer pressure

...all that stuff.

Madame Adequate
11-13-2007, 01:43 AM

Some of us do.

eestlinc
11-13-2007, 03:45 AM

censoring books is a little different from restricting access to weapons, although both are signs of a government taking power away from its citizenry.

Captain Maxx Power
11-13-2007, 11:01 AM

censoring books is a little different from restricting access to weapons, although both are signs of a government taking power away from its citizenry.

So a truly free citizenship would have full access to drugs, guns and be allowed to write hate-filled books and publish them without any prior review? Sounds like Anarchy to me mate.

Raistlin
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
So a truly free citizenship would have full access to drugs, guns and be allowed to write hate-filled books and publish them without any prior review? Sounds like Anarchy to me mate.

I think there's something about EoFF that makes it a magnet for absurd strawman arguments.

People <i>currently</i> can publish hate-filled books. Have you heard of Ann Coulter? The other things currently are not legal, so bringing them up bears absolutely no relevance to this case, unless you're arguing that the government should censor books with "offensive" messages (and that not doing so is equatable with handing out heroin), in which case I will just be thankful you do not have any authority over such things.

Rengori
11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Don't listen to your mp3 player for too long, you become a serial killer

Oh, fucking awesome, if I ever snap and go on a killing spree I know who I'm blaming.

Captain Maxx Power
11-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I think there's something about EoFF that makes it a magnet for absurd strawman arguments.

People <i>currently</i> can publish hate-filled books. Have you heard of Ann Coulter? The other things currently are not legal, so bringing them up bears absolutely no relevance to this case, unless you're arguing that the government should censor books with "offensive" messages (and that not doing so is equatable with handing out heroin), in which case I will just be thankful you do not have any authority over such things.

My statement was done slightly tongue-in-cheek because of the way it got setup. I never intended to use a strawman argument, and personally resent the fact that you would accuse me as such. Even if you barely knew me you would know that I never purposefully resort to such tactics.

Besides which my point was mainly that in some cases censorship and prohibition of certain materials isn't necessarily a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned, in regards to stuff like this I'm against this sort of right-wing drivel (see my initial post) by virtue of it being right-wing drivel. So really I'm going to be more in the camp of seeing such trash removed from our shelves due to it's inherent lack of worth. Then again I also think that self-help books about mysticism and spiritual healing that are sold as viable medical advice should also be banned, so maybe I'm a bit more of a censoring type of guy. Either that or I just don't like to see the general quality of available literature decline due to inherently ridiculous viewpoints. Whatever the case it's just my opinion.