PDA

View Full Version : Subtitles plz

Roto13
11-12-2007, 06:59 AM
I'm looking for a subtitle file for the movie Fellini Satyricon. I also... need to know how to use it. :P My husband downloaded the movie at my request, but it's not subtitled and it's in Italian, which is fine for him because he actually understands Italian but that leaves me screwed. xP

Discord
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
There are a plenty of pages (under some jurisdictions illegal, but I doubt that you would care:p) with subs on them. Rule of the thumb is, Google is the girl's best friend (also applies for boys). You then have a plenty of programs that can attach those to the actual film. I'd recommend VLC myself.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that they're synchronised. Generally speaking, it's no problem adding or subtracting, say, 0,5 seconds of delay, you could however get certain issues with director's cuts or special editions (with extra scenes in-between). You do need a fairly decent computer for it though. I've had certain issues with earlier releases of VLC running a DivX6 640x480 resolution film on a Pentium III 700Mhz.

Roto13
11-12-2007, 06:12 PM
But how do I use them with VLC? D:

Discord
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
In VLC 0.8.6b it's: FILE>OPEN FILE>check the USE SUBTITLES box and browse for the file.

Roto13
11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Ah, there we go. Thank you very much.

Roto13
11-13-2007, 03:26 AM
This is kind of weird. I've synchronized the subtitles so that they actually start when the talking starts, and it's fine for a while, but it gradually starts getting more and more of a delay. Any ideas?

Discord
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I've had that problem myself while watching Takeshi Kitano's Fireworks.

No idea. I thought it was the computer not coping with the running tasks, but I guess the problem could also be the subtitles timed wrong or the film having scenes (or single frames) which aren't presents in the subbed version. If you're watching Fellini, I could well imagine that it's a special edition of some sort.

What system are you running it on and which version of VLC is it?

PS: Out of pure curiosity, which film is that?:tongue:

Roto13
11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
Fellini Satyricon. The one that makes no sense. :P I'm using VLC 8.5. It doesn't seem like the problem is a special edition or anything because the delay happens gradually, and I would thing if there were missing scenes it would happen instantly after one of those scenes is supposed to play. I don't even think there IS a special edition or directors cut of this movie.

*checks imdb*

Well there's one version that's ten minutes longer than the other version, so I suppose that could be the problem. Actually, now that I think about it, I had to set a -21 second delay to get the subtitles to start on time.

Discord
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM
Meh, you've always got a special edition for a famous film. Even if it's Fellini, you'll always have somebody adding something, like extra colour of whatever.

Honestly, Roto, I haven't got a clue. As I've said already, I've had the same problem with another film before, but I've watched it on a 7-year-old machine. It worked fine for me recently.*shrug*

o_O
11-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I only ever needed to use subtitles a couple of times, so I don't really know what I'm talking about - but can't you set the speed of the subtitles? If you tweak it slightly, it should stay in time, right?

P.S. I like to use Media Player Classic. You might want to give that a try. :p

Roto13
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
I have both, but I stick to VLC most of the time.

I think I can tweak the speed, but getting the exact right speed so that it stays in time for the entire two hour movie sounds intimidating. xP

Serapy
11-21-2007, 12:56 AM
1)Go to Google
2)Make sure you have the latest codec of Divx
3)Download Zoom Player
4)Download DirectVobSub (VSFilter)
5)Go to any subtitle site (e.g. opensubtitle.org)
6)Find the movie name, download one of the highest rated subtitle. When downloaded the subtitle, make sure the subtitle name and your movie are in the same folder and are the extact same letters.

e.g. the movie file should be DVDRIP.Rush.Hour.3.aXXo.AVI
and the subtitle file should be DVDRIP.Rush.Hour.3.aXXo.sub (.srt, .sub, etc depending on the release)

7) Done

This is much easier imo.