PDA

View Full Version : Running IE minimized

Discord
11-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi!

I've been playing around and wondering if there's anyway I can run a specific URL in IE6 (being the default browser) at StartUp minimized.

I've got the bit with running it, either by placing the .url in the StartUp or by throwing a batch file in, the thing is, I haven't got a clue how to run it minimized.

Any ideas?

Baloki
11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
If your doing it via command line there should be an operator you can append to the end to make it run minimised, you'll need to google to find what it is though...

Peegee
11-12-2007, 02:57 PM
sauce (http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/ierk/Ch17_h.mspx?mfr=true)

Save the batch file or the command line switches as a shortcut. Fun times.

Discord
11-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Umm... I don't want to edit the program itself, just the way it is executed.

@Baloki: Spend 2 hours looking for one. Could you be a little bit more specific.:)

Baloki
11-12-2007, 10:20 PM
internet explorer command line - Google Search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=internet+explorer+command+line&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a) & Command line switches for Internet Explorer | IE Info Site (http://www.ieinfosite.co.uk/tip_view.asp?id=36) & Microsoft Corporation (http://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/ierk/Ch17_h.mspx?mfr=true) & Microsoft Corporation (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/reskit/6/part7/z03ie6rk.mspx?mfr=true) to start you off?

Flying Mullet
11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I did some searching for a flag/switch myself and couldn't find any. It seems that you can open it in full screen mode and with ActiveX and such disabled, but not much else.

Then again, it would seem odd that someone would want to open a windows based program and have it run minimized, so they might not have included it as a startup option.

Baloki
11-12-2007, 10:47 PM
You can run it in the background without the window opening though according to those switches.

o_O
11-13-2007, 12:02 AM
It would be quite possible to do a hack with JavaScript. The SendKeys function would allow it, I think. I'm posting from my phone now, but I'll look into it shortly. :p

rubah
11-13-2007, 12:11 AM
^--what a nerd.

o_O
11-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Shut up, you. :p

Anyway Discord, save this code to a file with the extension ".js". Then drop it in your \WINDOWS\Startup folder and it should execute on startup. Remember to change the URL to whatever page you need opened. If you want to verify that it works before restarting or whatever, you can execute it by double-clicking it.

var wshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell");
wshell.Run("iexplore.exe http://forums.eyesonff.com", 6);

EDIT: Just to clarify, I minimised it not by passing a command-line parameter to iexplore.exe, but by specifiying to the Wscript.Shell object that whatever command is executed, do it minimised and without focus. Therefore, it would minimise any program started this way.

crono_logical
11-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Isn't there an option in shortcuts you can set to make them run stuff in windows minimised? :p

Discord
11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Hmmm... great idea Face! It seems to work great on one system, yet on the other it's asking which app the file should be executed with. =/

I thought so too, crono, but I don't know, it seems that nobody can find one that would.

Thanks for your input so far, people! You've been a great help!:p

Baloki
11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Now Discord can fish for passwords in style!

Discord
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Nah, I've got enough of those already. I'm just artificially keeping my activity level on one web-site at 100%.:tongue: (please don't ask, why any sane person would do that)

PS: Yes, I could let it run in background, but there's really no need to give early grey hairs to the guys in data security dept.

crono_logical
11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
cron job with wget would be far easier on a linux box if that's all you're trying to do :p

o_O
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Hmmm... great idea Face! It seems to work great on one system, yet on the other it's asking which app the file should be executed with. =/

How old is the second machine? It should have JavaScript enabled in Internet Options. If that doesn't work, it <i>might</i> work if you run it with the extension .vbs instead of .js. I can't guarantee that, since you'd be relying on my JavaScript code executing properly as VB code. :p Having said that, the API that I used it almost identical across languages.

cron job with wget would be far easier on a linux box if that's all you're trying to do :pThat's the most sensible thing in this thread yet. :p

Baloki
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
And now for the least sensible :p?

Reformat and install Mac OSX!

Discord
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Linux would be great, yet impossible! Though I think we'd all agree that Mac OSX is much cooler.:p

Same problem with .vbs though.=/

crono_logical
11-15-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm sure you can do cron wget in OSX too :p

Momiji
11-18-2007, 03:10 AM
I have no clue how to do any of this. I'm just wondering what you wanna run something minimized at startup.

Baloki
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I have no clue how to do any of this. I'm just wondering what you wanna run something minimized at startup.

Nah, I've got enough of those already. I'm just artificially keeping my activity level on one web-site at 100%.:tongue: (please don't ask, why any sane person would do that)

PS: Yes, I could let it run in background, but there's really no need to give early grey hairs to the guys in data security dept.

Momiji
11-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Oh. I did not see that.

Discord
11-18-2007, 11:50 PM

Oh. I did not see that.

:p

PS: I still haven't got it running. :tongue: