PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who feels a great difference between 50 Hz and 60 Hz?

Peter_20
11-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Alright, for some reason nobody agrees with me that 60 Hz is much, much better than 50 Hz.
I once showed some scenes of Blitz Ace on GameFaqs: the one in 50 Hz, and the other in 60 Hz.
Take a look here:

50 Hz: YouTube - Final Fantasy 10 Tidus overdrive 4/4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu4e84u9sE)
60 Hz: YouTube - Final Fantasy X - Blitz Ace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBAnn8Fzfi8)

Personally I think there's a huuuge difference, but nobody agrees; they just go: "didn't see much difference at all", but wtf...? XD
Take a look at those clips again, and consider the differences.

Tidus' running speed is much faster in 60 Hz as well: in the European version Tidus acts like he's walking on the moon or something, whereas he's actually running in the American version.
This is a description on his footsteps:

50 Hz: "thomp, thomp, thomp, thomp, thomp..."
60 Hz: "thomp-thomp-thomp-thomp-thomp..."

60 Hz >>>>> 50 Hz, seriously.

Karellen
11-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Tidus is under the effect of Haste in the second video. I don't know if that speeds up overdrives as well but I would have thought that the difference there is far too obvious to simply be a conversion issue.

Tavrobel
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
The only real difference I saw was with the casting time (an animation which is affected by Haste). Of course, I do agree that American technology beats the crap out of European technology. But then again, maybe I'm not used to having different speeds of TV, so perhaps my mind compensates for the changes by bringing it up to speed?

Heath
11-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Of course, I do agree that American technology beats the crap out of European technology.

...and you were all "No way!"... says:
there is one American standard (NTSC) and two European standards (PAL 50 and PAL 60)
PAL 60 is pretty much NTSC
more frames (60 in a second) for smoother motion, but less detail since there are only 525 "lines"
which is pretty much the analogue way of measuring resolution
PAL 50 has loses some frames, but has 625 lines
as such, PAL in 50Hz has 16% more image detail than NTSC or PAL 60
it also has other plusses
such as better colour seperation

I didn't notice a huge difference to be honest, but I don't tend to notice these things.

rubah
11-12-2007, 10:15 PM
You're not going to be able to determine quality from a youtube video, that's for darn sure.

peter, eyes see at about 4hz, four images a second. 50 and 60 are both much more than this, so anything you see is what you probably would've seen in the other.

Mirage
11-12-2007, 10:24 PM
4 frames a second? I call bullskulls on that one. If that's true, you wouldn't notice any difference between 4 frames per second and 24. On a stopwatch, I can see every tenths of a second as it counts, that's 10 fps right there. The brain start getting trouble telling one frame from the next at about 20 fps and up, but the eyes can see more frames per second than that.

The difference between the PAL and NTSC version of FFX is due to laziness on S-E's part. It's fully possible to make the PAL version run at the same speed as on NTSC. Metal gear solid 2 and 3 are excellent examples of that.

rubah
11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
well, I said 4 based on a bash quote, but I still don't think that it would be as high as 50 or 60 either one, else you just couldn't be able to stand watching tv.

although 60 hz does start to give me eyeaches on monitors, but I dunno.

Tavrobel
11-12-2007, 10:40 PM
stuff I already know

I love it when people have missed my trend of consistently making fun of the Europeans when I possibly can, even when the truth is far from real or what I imagine it to be.

Mirage
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
well, I said 4 based on a bash quote, but I still don't think that it would be as high as 50 or 60 either one, else you just couldn't be able to stand watching tv.

although 60 hz does start to give me eyeaches on monitors, but I dunno.
Well, the headaches are because you're basically looking at a strong light source that flashes 60 times a second. A CRT screen has phosphorous stuff that lights up, and at 60 hz, it's got enough time to lose it's bightness considerable, before it's lit up again. At higher refresh rates, there's not enough time for the screen to lose it's brightness, resulting in less strains for your eyes. This is because the photoreceptive cells in your eyes are subject to a much steadier flow of photons.

Our TVs are interlaced however, meaning there's one full frame per two refreshes, so the effective framerate is about half of the refresh rate. However, HDTV can run in progressive scan mode, meaning you actually get 50 frames per second. Of course, this is more than our eyes *need* to get a decent impression of motion. The idea is however to make whatever's on the TV move as close to the real world, because our eyes are used to an even higher degree of smoothness there. Even 1000 frames per second wouldn't cover all the movement in the real world.

Anyway, I think the reason why we think Tidus looks like he is walking on on the moon isn't because one technology is superior or inferior. It's more because humans are very good at "everyday physics" and instantly notice when something in the natural world is off or wrong. In this case, the conversion from 60 to 50 hz means the game runs at 24 frames per second instead of 30 (or 29.9 actually!). Because S-E didn't speed up the animation, this results in every animation in the game running at about 80% of the normal speed.

ReloadPsi
11-12-2007, 11:25 PM
60Hz is quicker, which annoys me because Tidus runs so smegging slowly in the PAL version. There's a gameshark code that forces the PAL version to run in 60Hz mode, but the FMVs go out of sync. Not a great loss, as you've probably played the game to death already.

Mo-Nercy
11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm not fussed by it so long as it does the same damage xD

Jessweeee♪
11-13-2007, 12:05 AM
You Europeans and your advanced sphere grid and your fancy fonts!

Araciel
11-13-2007, 08:27 AM
lawl europe.

blackmage_nuke
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I can see the difference but thats only when i count the beats, i dont notice it when im just observing normally.

And just because it has higher frame rate it is not nessicarily better, it just means the frames play faster so its like saying playing a song or watching a movie slightly fast fowarded makes it "better". Unless they were actaully added frames, but who the hell will notice that?

Peter_20
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I can see the difference but thats only when i count the beats, i dont notice it when im just observing normally.

And just because it has higher frame rate it is not nessicarily better, it just means the frames play faster so its like saying playing a song or watching a movie slightly fast fowarded makes it "better". Unless they were actaully added frames, but who the hell will notice that?Well, the 50 Hz version IS actually pretty slow, slow enough to make you feel bored at times.

50 Hz is perfectly playable, sure, but running on areas like the Djose Highroad etc feels like forever.

"thomp, thomp, thomp, thomp, thomp..."

Heath
11-14-2007, 11:50 AM
stuff I already know

I love it when people have missed my trend of consistently making fun of the Europeans when I possibly can, even when the truth is far from real or what I imagine it to be.

My apologies, I must've been extremely tired or perhaps drunk to miss such an obvious gag.