PDA

View Full Version : FFT weekly class review #2: Monk

The Amazing Spiderman
11-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Hello, how is it going?

Ready for a second class review? We hope so.

Seeing the poll from the first review, the people that read the topic chose the Monk to be reviewed next.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/attachments/final-fantasy-tactics/27091d1194915851-fft-weekly-class-review-2-monk-fft07.png

Monk

Martial-art experts who have disciplined their minds and bodies for years. Their fists are more deadlier than swords.

General info:

How to obtain the class?
You must be a lv. 3 Knight to become a lancer.

Sprites: The male sprite has a headband, a vest, bracelets on their arms, and red pants. He looks decent, but maybe something like a karategi would have rocked. The female monk looks awesome, with her one piece uniform, long boots and arm protectors. Nice design!

Default Weapons: Fist.

Default Helmet: None.

Default Armor: Clothes.

Space reserved for velozer0's review. Check it out soon!

The Amazing Spiderman
11-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Because of some "technical" problems, BG-57's review is delayed. It's my fault.

Now, Gilthanes's review:

Monk

Note that I am basing all of this on the PSX version, as I have no yet played the PSP version. So if some of the names sound different, thats why. (I'm not sure whats been changed exactly)

In general Monks equip no weapons or head wear, only Light armor, and accessories (obviously Equip_Item support abilities can alter this)

Requirements: Knight lv2

Ratings with Stars, 1 star being mostly useless, 5 stars being very awesome

Action Abilities:

Spin Fist (**)- Deals regular physical damage to up to 4 targets around you. The height-range limitation on this skill really lowers its overall use, seeing as how a single height difference blocks the attack, and there really is not as many fully-flat areas in the game as you'd think. For early parts in the games, where battlefields are more flat, this has its uses. But as you get later into the game, the dmg and range limitations on this ability make it far less likely to see action

Repeating Fist (*)- This ability is funny to see some randomly big numbers, but this raging combo of fists does mediocre damage. Think Mace/Axe, random spikey damage. The max dmg range of this ability does not out weigh the equally good chance of only hitting for 1/4 of your regular damage. But the graphic sure is neat, no doubt there

Earth Slash (****) - Hits targets in a line up to 6 spaces away for pretty decent Earth Damage. As with most of the other monks damaging special attacks, its awesome in the early parts of the game, but by chapter 4 this ability will seem weak to some of your other abilities available. Note that since its earth-based damage, this will do amazingly good damage against panthers which are very weak to earth damage. Early on in the game this ability will lay waste to panthers.

Secret Fist (*) - if it lands, applies "Death Sentence" to target... yeah. Only thing I can say on a positive note about this ability is death sentence relies on the enemies speed. The more turns they get in relation to yours, the faster 'death sentence' will go off. So for a neat trick if you see an enemy time mage hasting all his buddies, throwing death sentence on them will make them regret being able to act twice as fast, as they will find themselves dying long before they normally would.

Stigma Magic (*****) - Now we're getting to the real glory of Punch Art - the non-damaging abilities. Stigma Magic is one of the earliest and easiest abilities you can get that removes pretty much the majority of negative status effects that the game can throw at you. Early on when you have to deal with poison-inducing panthers and blindness inducing goblins, this ability will wipe out everything at once. This ability is much like Heal in the squire set, except it hits everyone around the caster, and removes more types of ailments.

Chakra (*****) - The main reason you'll ever open up the Punch Art ability list. This bad boy restores health and magic to everyone around you, and in the beginning of the game the amount restored is ridiculously high compared to their maximum values. When you first can obtain this, before you even get to Dorter for the first time, you'll find this ability restoring 35-50 HP and 20-30 MP to everyone around the caster, which is basically a potion and an ether, combined, thrown at everyone in the immediate area. Words cannot describe how dangerous this ability is early on when combined with a summoner next to the monk, who is able to continuously toss out high damage/high mp spells and instantly get refilled on his MP.

Revive (*****) - another classic of the punch art tree, this will usually not work as well as the Raise spell, or the full-proof Phoenix Down, but it is instant, and requires no costly reagent to use. I've never quite figured out what the % chance to land on this ability is based on, but it typically ranges from 50-80%, I've rarely seen it outside that range. Either way, its a free, quick, easy Revive early on in the game.

Reaction Abilities:

Restore HP (**) - this ability has its uses, and its not overly bad. I've never liked the whole "Almost dead, here have this" reaction abilities (such as Restore MP, Critical quick, meatbone slash, etc). The "near death" state that this reaction ability requires to activate is too low to make me ever equip it. Thrown on a very high hp class this ability has some uses, but ultimately your basic evasion type reactions are better, or counter if you are putting it on a high dmg class.

Counter (****) - tired of those panthers, goblins, and chocobos countering you for high amounts of dmg, every time you hit them? Get back at them by equipping this, and whenever they hit you, you'll swing back at them for regular melee dmg. The main reason this ability doesn't get 5 stars is 2 things, a) When you counter, you're face to face with them, which means if they are using a shield, or mantle, or just a high evasion class, you're likely going to miss the attack, and b) Hamedo does the same thing, but prevents you from being attacked in the first place...

Hamedo (*****) - This is like blade grasp and counter put together, except it only works on direct non-special attacks, where as blade grasp will block almost anything. What this reaction ability does is if the enemy walks up to you and tries to swing their weapon at you, you will knock it to the side and then swing back at them. This means that, assuming your Brave is high enough, the enemy CAN NEVER PHYSICALLY ATTACK YOU (at least at close range, with a weapon). This ability is amazing until high levels when enemies use more than regular attacks at you, and start equipping high evasion shields and mantles which makes counter attacks mostly useless.

Support abilities:

Martial Arts (**) - this works ok if you train a character to a high class that the game doesnt yet offer weapons for. What I mean is if you open up Samurai early in the game before they sell Katanas at the shops, you can equip this (or any Equip_Weapon skill) and still do reasonable damage, at the cost of Gained JP Up

Movement Abilities:

Move HP-UP (**) - Early on when battles are long, and it takes 3-4 enemies to gang up and kill someone, this ability can prolong your death. However in the long run this is very much outdone by Move +2/3, Fly, Teleport etc

Random Notes about Monks:

Monks do not use weapons, their fists are the weapons. Because of this their dmg is based not on an equipped item, but by a formula using their Brave and PA. For a high damage monk, you want to use Cheer up / Praise to raise his Brave level to over 90 permanently, then equip him with items that focus on PA such as Judo Outfits, Power Sleeves, Bracers, etc.

Another thing of note is that Monks only equip an accessory and body armor, they cannot under normal means equip a head piece. HOWEVER, female monks can still equip Ribbons which nullify status effects at the cost of Low Hp, but since monks cannot equip other head pieces anyways, theres no sacrifice to equipping a Ribbon. So when possible, equip your female monk with a barrete/ribbon to give slightly higher hp and status immunity

Monk only attacks with 1 Hand, however if you equip him with Two Swords ability from Ninjas, he will punch twice in a row (or in other words, attack with both fists). Monks damage is already high, this will effectively double his damage to outrageous numbers, a properly equipped monk with Two Swords will at lv 99 easily do 300+ per fist, putting him on the same level as some of the games hardest hitters like Orlandu or Ramza two-handing a knight sword. Likewise, if you are training one of your special characters as a monk, but do not want to lose their sword spell attacks, then you can use Equip Sword from Knight to give them a rune blade so that as a monk they can continue to do their Night Swords / Lightning Stabs.

Good Secondary Skillsets for a monk:
The main thing for a secondary skillset for your monk is to know what his strengths and weaknesses are. What Punch Art gives him: Heals, rezzes, status cures, and a various number of attacks, and given his low MA magic is not a good subjob. So Item command is useless with Chakra, Draw out and Magic skills that use MA is useless. What Punch Art does not give the monk are any sorts of debuffs or things he can use to weaken the enemy. That leaves a handful of useful subjob abilities:

Steal - this gives your monk something to do when you are not needing to smash someones face in. Steal Heart
and XP are always good to have as well

Dance/Sing - If stalling a battle, this gives your monk some buffing/debuffing capabilities if you are trying to weaken an enemy but not completely kill it, such as in the Deep Dungeon while treasure hunting.

Basic Skill - yes, this skillset works ok with a monk. Having access to Accumulate is always a bonus, and a monk is dangerous to begin with. Having him accumulate 2-3 times before the enemy even gets to him= nasty

Battle Skill - Same concept as Steal and Dancing, let you monk play with the enemy without actually damaging him. NOTE: If you are using Two Swords to attack twice, if you use a Break attack you will swing twice. What this means is Speed Break will (attempt) to reduce enemies Speed by 3, then another 3. Same for power, and mind. If you use an equipment break, it will give you double chance to break that item, very useful.

I cannot in good conscience advise giving a magic subjob to Monk, as their MA is pitiful. If anything, Time Magic / Yin Yang magic would be "OK" in that the effects dont rely much on MA but more on Faith than anything. If anything I'd say Time Magic is one of the only magic subjobs I'd ever give to a monk. The only reason it CAN work is that the Monk will always have Chakra to instantly restore their MP if they need it, which makes them somewhat usable with Time/Oracle magic in the Deep Dungeon to shut enemies down for the hunt.

Recommended Gear Setup for Chapter 4+

Bare Hands
Ribbon (If Female)
Power Sleeve / Rubber Costume (depends if you prefer high PA vs higher HP, I like my monks hitting for 800-1000 per attack)
Bracer (Or germinas Boots if you need a slightly higher movement for a specific battle)

If Female you have alot more options, such as Setiemson giving your monk Auto Haste, or Salty Rage for permanent Prot/Shell, or Chantage for infinite reraise. Setiemson gets pretty bad rap considering most females at end game would use an excalibur giving auto haste, but monks do not have that option.

My Preferred Skills set:
Punch Art
Battle Skill / Steal
Blade Grasp
Two Swords
Move +2 or +3, or Fly depending on battle

Overall usefullness: 9.5
The main drawback to a Monk is its heavy reliance on direct physical attacks. Up against a knight/dragoon/samurai/ninja with proper equipment will negate majority of the monks attacks from the front or side. With proper movement abilities, a monk can get around this to deal damage, or quickly fall back to his allies to heal/revive them if needed. No matter the situation the monk will provide plenty of damage, and the main thing that pushes Monks to the background are special classes in chapter 4 which deal 400+ dmg to multiple target. However given the right gear, Brave, and skills at high levels, your Monk can become a powerhouse who hits for 400+ per fist (x2 for Two Swords) per turn, and very few special classes can reach that amount of dmg, even Orlandu + Excalibur and Holy Explosion. Theres nothing quite like 1-shotting 600+ HP targets with your bare hands.

The Amazing Spiderman
11-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Well, here goes my review:

Monk:

This class is one of the most useful class on the game. It's pretty useful on any situation, from attacking in close range and long range, and healing status and Hp/Mp, and don't forget this class can also revive fallen allies.
All of those abilities are included on it's Punch Art skill, making a decent all-around unit that can do almost everything, from being an attacker or giving support to other allies.

Althought the monk's pretty limited in equipment (Can't use headgear. Clothes only.), his Hp growth it pretty high, and if well used, there's no need for armor.

Also, the monk's weapons are their fists. How badass, and yet cheap, since you don't have to spend too much funds on them.
Also, their attacks are more powerful if their brave is higher. Low brave units will have a problem dealing good damage as monks. Also, the Punch art ability, outside the monk class, must rely on Martial arts to do more damage.

So, which classes help the monk?
Obviously the Monk is so balanced in every category, that he doesn't need a lot of help to do damage or heal.

But, the monk can assist all Mages with Chakra, restoring their Hp and Mp, and can be done for many units at the same time.

Now let's review the abilities:

* being the lowest, ***** the highest.

Spin Fist:
Formula: Damage = PA * [PA / 2]
Spins around their current panel, dealing damage to all the enemies surrounding de monk.

Decent ability, just watch out your height and the enemie's to see if you're going to hit him.

Repeating Fist
Formula: (1..9) * (PA + [PA / 2])
The Monk unleashes a barrage of punches on the enemy.

I like this ability. Althought the damage is ramdom, most of the time the outcome can be greater than a normal attack.

Wave Fist
Formula: PA * [(PA + 2)/ 2]
The monk burst energy and hits the enemy. Hadouken, anyone?

This one's pretty good, it allows the monk to do long range damage, and hit those units far from them.

Earth Slash
Formula: PA * [PA / 2]

The best attack skill of the Monk. Earth Elemental. Multi-hit. An spectacular range, althought it's on one direction only. What's not to like?

Secret Fist
Formula: Success% = MA + 50
Adds Death sentence to the enemy.

Bleh. I'd rather kill him that doing this. Can be useful, but only on those cases where you can't beat the enemy, and you want to take your chances with this skill.

Stigma Magic
Formula: Success% = PA + 120
Cancel: Petrify, Darkness, Confusion, Frog, Silence, Berserk, poison, Sleep, Don't Move, Don't Act.

Just learn it. It's pretty easy to get it, and pretty useful to have. No one knows when are you going to need it.

Chakra
Formula: Restore (PA * 5) HP and [PA * 5/2] MP
(MartialArtsPA = [PA * 3/2])

This is one of, if not the most versatile haling skill on FFT, alongside the Elixir. It restores Hp and Mp, and can heal more than one unit at the time! The Monk using chakra will heal him/herself, and the surrounding units. A MUST HAVE.

Revive
Formula: Restore {T_MaxHP * 20/100} HP
Success% = PA + 70

This one's pretty good! It's cost-free, it's not spendable like Phoenix Down, doesn't require charge time. BUT, there's a small chance to fail.....but it's worth the risk.

Reaction Abilities:

HP restore
Restores entire Hp when critical.

Not that useful. Auto Potion > This. It's not bad, but reaction abilities, in my opinion, are better if there's no condition other than Hp damage, or it's Blade Grasp or Abandon.

Counter:

Attack after being attacked.

It's good for massacring your enemies pretty quickly. But, if you're training your units, this ability can sometimes screw your plans if you kill the enemy with counter, and you won't gain Exp. or Jp. for killing the enemy, and obviously you can't also exploit the chances of getting even more Jp and Exp.
Use it if you want. ALSO, you can't counter long range attacks if you don't have a long range weapon. Duh.

Hamedo:

Attack before being attacked.

Hamedo it's like counter, only with one big difference. You attack before being attacked. You can potencially prevent Hp damage if you One-kit-Kill the enemy.

Support Abilities:

Martial Arts:

Martial Arts is a MUST if you are using Punch Art as a secondary skill on another job, so you can exploit the skill as the monk does. Martial arts gives a PA bonus, and allows the unit equipped with this ability to deal good damage bare-fisted.

Movement Abilities:

Move Hp-Up
Recover RU{MaxHP / 10}

A decent movement ability, but it's surpassed by Move + 2, Teleport and Move + 3. You can use it with units that have a movement of 4, thought. Like the Ninja. Their movement is already decent, and the Hp increase can make a difference.

Recommended setups:

Elektra I

Female Monk

Brave: 75 -97 Faith: Any:

Fist
Fist
Ribbon
Power Sleeve
Chantage

Punch Art
Throw
Blade Grasp / Counter / Hamedo
Two Swords
Move + 2

Well, this a simple setup. I named her after Elektra, as a marvel fan. She's a Ninja, I know! But it's version No. I (Version II is a Ninja.)! XD
She deals decent damage, and it's PA increase with the Power Sleeve increases her damage. She has throw for long range attacks, and damn, she's elektra after all. Must have something ninja.
Blade Grasp or counter, your choice. Prevent damage, or deal it.
Chantage somehow fits her. You know, Elektra dies, and then revives later in the comics. (Althought in the next year crossover...Secret Invasion....nevermind.).

The rest is obivious.

Overall Rating:

The Monk is one of the best units in the game. Pretty well balanced, good damage dealer, cheap equipment. High PA and Hp growth. It's only drawback may come from the equipment, since it can't equip hats, the Total HP can be low to withstand many hits. Monk ain't no tanks compared with Knight and Lancers. But more versatile than them, of course.

Well, we hope you like the reviews!

Due to the PM problems, I can't post BG-57's and VeloZer0's review. Damn. But, I promise that I'll add them.

Don't forget to VOTE for the next class you want us to review.

Until next time!

BG-57
11-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Divine Knight! Go Meliadoul!

The Amazing Spiderman
11-16-2007, 09:22 PM
While EoFF has the PM problems, I can't post BG-57's review, since its message was affected by this problem. Damn. (Hey, I thought I erased it for a while.)

Don't forget to vote, it'll be highly appreciated, so as your opinions.

NeoCracker
11-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Monk is about my Favorite Tactics Class. Though Geomancers are fun as hell as well.

I enjoy making the Monks secondary Skill List Elemental. I find it more useful then Wave fist, as it inflicts a Status, can hit multiple guys, and it doesn't matter if there is an obstruction between you and the enemy, it will Still hit.

Also, in the Main Fights Attack up from Geomancer is quite nice with a Monk, increasing his already beefy skill power.

I like them reviews of yours though, keep it up Spidey.

The Amazing Spiderman
11-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Well, thanks! I'll try to keep it up.

I'm waiting for my comrades' reviews, so I can make a new Thread. About the Ninja. Hooray.