PDA

View Full Version : why is 'fly' reguarded so highly?

.:kerrod:.
11-13-2007, 06:38 AM
i've had this ability before, and i have to say, i wasn't too impressed. Now, i can't REALLY remember the full details of it because it was a while ago, but is it basically 'ignore height' with the ability to move over ememies and obstacles? If so, why do you need so much JP to learn it?! In my opinion, it should only be worth 1000, MAYBE 1500. So can you please explain to me why you need so many JP and the full benefits of it? Thanks :)

Gilthanes
11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Fly isnt for all situations. Typically Move +2/3 will serve better for majority of battlefield. (At least for me). there are situations where having 1 or 2 units with Fly (or Teleport but Fly prevents you from trying to take a step too far and failing). Fly is basically Ignore Height except you can float over other characters and objects, rather than just scale high walls

Its definately a good movement skill to have unlocked, but its up to the player to figure out which battles make it useful (anywhere with lots of obstacles, not so much huge Height numbers)

VeloZer0
11-13-2007, 02:59 PM
No idea why it costs so much. Teleport does everything Fly can do and more, and for 1/2 the price.

As for absolute usefulness, I would say it's tied with Move+3. In some situations it is far more useful, some it is far less.

(For those of you who don't know how Teleport works, you have a 100% success rate for any move within your normal movement range, and for every panel further you try and move the success rate drops 10%. So if you have a move of 5 you can Fly anywhere in 5 panels, and Teleport 100% anywhere in 5 panels. The advantage is you can try to Teleport 7 panels away with 80% success. Teleport also illuminates every square in the Deep Dungeon.)

BG-57
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
I hardly ever use it. It's about as useful as Ignore Height; that is great in a few dungeons but lackluster elsewhere. I mean it's handy to have monsters than can naturally fly (like Hydras), but I usually prefer to fill the Movement slot with something else.