PDA

View Full Version : Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games

jeoO
11-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games for the Nintendo Wii looks great just watch this trailer

http://marioandsonic.sega-europe.com/en/ (http://marioandsonic.sega-europe.com/en/)
[!] / message [/!]

Rase
11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Yeah, can't say I'm really too excited for this. There are much better games coming out/already out that demand my limited money. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's budget priced if it gets decent reviews or I get to play it and like it.

Ouch!
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
So basically a glorified Wii Sports, right?

Xander
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Sonic would obviously beat a fat old plumber, so the game is stupid.

Roto13
11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Sonic and Mario being in the same game is tempting, but I'm willing to wait for Smash Bros. Brawl. :P

Baloki
11-13-2007, 10:56 PM
*sides with Xander and takes on THE WORLD!*

ReloadPsi
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Hooray, Nintendo make another gimmicky game that probably has minigames that ruin your controller. When will this bullskulls end?

Ditto on the waiting for Brawl, but even then Jaleel White won't be performing Sonic's voice in either game.

Slothy
11-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Wii Sports was crap and this looks to be more of the same. Nintendo and other developers need to think of some better uses for that controller than crappy mini games.

Skyblade
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
Wii Sports was crap and this looks to be more of the same. Nintendo and other developers need to think of some better uses for that controller than crappy mini games.

Heh. Not gonna happen. The controller doesn't have that many uses. It's lightgun aspect is essentially good for shooters, and that's it, and the motion sensitivity isn't really good for anything except gimmickry. Yeah, Twilight Princess was awesome, and the bow use was great, but I'd still much rather have had a sword button than the swinging controller. The motion sensitivity is nowhere near what it needs to be to make it a meaningful game element, and, when technology gets good enough so that it can be a meaningful game element, it will probably still fail because gamers are insanely lazy and prefer interfaces that offer maximum control with minimum work, and the sooner Nintendo realizes this the sooner we can get away from the cheap gimmickry and get back to the good stuff.

As for the game, I'm sorry, it's a totally ridiculous concept. Mario has four basic abilities: Jumping on enemies' heads, shooting fireballs, hitting things with a hammer, and limited flight. That's fine. Stop introducing more and more things for him to do. Now he's some star athelete, he's got who-knows-how-many new abilities in Super Mario Galaxy, and it's getting rather ridiculous, IMHO. He's become Superman before Kryptonite and Doomsday. They're giving him so many super powers and strength that the character is just a cheap sellout. Move him back to platformers and keep him there!

Slothy
11-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Heh. Not gonna happen. The controller doesn't have that many uses. It's lightgun aspect is essentially good for shooters, and that's it, and the motion sensitivity isn't really good for anything except gimmickry.

Oh I agree completely, but then, it's still nice to hope that developers may actually pull out something totally revolutionary. I think the problem is the fact that they try too hard to shoehorn motion controls into genres that play better without it, as opposed to designing totally new games for the motion controls, but that's probably a discussion for another topic.