PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football

prayzer
11-13-2007, 07:22 PM
This is for anyone here that's into college football. What do you think of the BCS and its ranking system?

I, personally, think its crap because the majority of the teams that stay at the top of the rankings year after year are teams that only play 3 or 4 tough, ranked teams their whole season. For instance, if Ohio St. played more SEC teams, or even just more teams that were consistently ranked, they would not be as high in the rankings as they are. Their schedule this year consisted of a bunch of nonames. Oh, wait, Penn St., thats about it. Notice how almost all of them were blowouts. I'm just saying they if they actually had to play decent teams it would be a whole different ball game. BTW, the same goes for Kansas.

El Bandito
11-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Well that's why when Ohio State lost that game they dropped to #7 and have basically no chance of making the national championships unless all the top teams basically crumble.

As for Kansas, that weak schedule is the same reason they're #3 despite being the only legit undefeated team (Hawaii doesn't count). Though they still have to play Mizzou and most likely Oklahoma so we'll see how they survive that.

I'd love to see a LSU - Oregon championship. It should be a fast, exciting game. But if Kansas is able to win out, there's no way you can argue they don't deserve to take one of those spots.

Strider
11-14-2007, 12:40 AM
As a Fresno State fan, I'm obligated to state that the BCS is little more than a lowbrow cartel of evil universities.

I still don't see why or how we can't have a 12-team playoff not unlike the NFL layout and use the BCS like the RPI rankings in basketball. Top four teams get a first-round bye and so on and so forth, play the games in friendly bowl cities and come out with a true champion... but of course, that would be too easy. If it were up to me, though, I'd have the following 12 teams in:

Troy (Sun Belt)
Hawaii (WAC)
Oregon (Pac-10)
Miami of Ohio/Central Michigan (MAC)
Brigham Young (Mountain West)
Louisiana State (SEC)
Central Florida/Tulsa (Conference USA)
Ohio State (Big Ten)
West Virginia (Big East)
Oklahoma (Big 12)
Kansas/Missouri (Big 12)
Clemson/Boston College/Virginia/Virginia Tech (ACC)

Yes, I have the conference champs from EACH CONFERENCE. Novel concept, I know. Right now, you'd probably have to give the byes to OU, LSU, West Virginia and Oregon.

In reality, though, I'm pulling for the Ducks since they're the only team I've really had a good look at and... man, those guys are outstanding. They probably shouldn't have lost to Cal, but losing their backup RB and their top two WRs hasn't stopped them. If they get passed over by whoever wins the Big 12 title game, it'll be a freaking shame.

Kirobaito
11-14-2007, 01:33 AM
In reality, though, I'm pulling for the Ducks since they're the only team I've really had a good look at and... man, those guys are outstanding. They probably shouldn't have lost to Cal, but losing their backup RB and their top two WRs hasn't stopped them. If they get passed over by whoever wins the Big 12 title game, it'll be a freaking shame.
Whoever wins the Big XII will go to the National Championship game. If Kansas wins out, they'll have beaten Missouri and Oklahoma the last two weeks of the season, who are 3 and 5 right now. If Missouri wins out, they'll have beaten 3 and 4. I don't want to talk about if Oklahoma wins out, because I hate them too much.

I'd like to see Oregon there, though, simply because it's not one of the same-old same-old (tOSU, Florida, USC, Texas, OU, LSU).

El Bandito
11-14-2007, 04:53 AM
[QUOTE=Strider;2352304]I'd like to see Oregon there, though, simply because it's not one of the same-old same-old (tOSU, Florida, USC, Texas, OU, LSU).

Well if you're going for that, then you ought to cheer for Kansas. At least Oregon has won a couple Pac-10 titles in their history. Jayhawk football hasn't done anything other than having Gale Sayers as an alumni.

escobert
11-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Go Boston College!

Kirobaito
11-14-2007, 06:22 AM
[QUOTE=Strider;2352304]I'd like to see Oregon there, though, simply because it's not one of the same-old same-old (tOSU, Florida, USC, Texas, OU, LSU).

Well if you're going for that, then you ought to cheer for Kansas. At least Oregon has won a couple Pac-10 titles in their history. Jayhawk football hasn't done anything other than having Gale Sayers as an alumni.
Well, I'm not necessarily cheering for Oregon over a Big XII school. I go to Baylor, so I'm going to cheer for a non-Oklahoma Big XII school first of all (I also come from the same general area as Chase Daniel, Mizz's QB). I'm just saying that Oregon making it to the National Championship would be worth seeing, if Kansas and Missouri can't make it.

prayzer
11-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I still don't see why or how we can't have a 12-team playoff not unlike the NFL layout and use the BCS like the RPI rankings in basketball. Top four teams get a first-round bye and so on and so forth, play the games in friendly bowl cities and come out with a true champion... but of course, that would be too easy.

As much as I like that idea, and I actually used it myself in a conversation a long time ago, I was told that if they were made to play that many games in a season while still having to attend school the NCAA would be forced to compensate the players. We can't have them dip into the NCAA official's money now can we? :p

CloudDragon
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
I followed CFB more earlier this year when UK was rolling and beat LSU. Then they lost two in a row but they're slowing climbing back up. It was crazy here in Lexington when UK beat LSU and I don't think I'll ever forget that.

El Bandito
11-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Heh, I know how you feel. When my Buffaloes handed that upset to Oklahoma, the entire town went nuts. Now we're gonna finish 6-6, but it's a huge improvement from the 2-10 record we posted last year plus most of our skill position players are either freshmen or sophomores.

prayzer
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I know that feeling as well. It went crazy every time Tennessee beat Florida in Knoxville. UT has suked the past few years though. They need to get rid of Fulmer.

Spawn of Sephiroth
11-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Well, as much of a playoff fan that I am and how much I truly despise the BCS system, there is only one thing I like about it. It makes EVERY SINGLE GAME IMPORTANT. If you look in the NFL, players and teams look at the games as "if we lose, we always got next week." And so when they are down, they seem not to care if they lose because they know they are fine. But in the BCS, every game counts. The players play with more heart and are more competitive because they know that if they don't win, there is no chance at all at a national championship. They need to make a playoff where they take the winners of each conference and make a playoff system with that. I know there are some teams not in a conference, but they should be placed into one because I am a sole believer in a college playoff system.

Bloodline666
11-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Honestly, I think the whole BCS system sucks! Basically, it gives the media full power to decide who will even compete for a National Championship, regardless of what happens on the field, which only adds to my disdain for the sports media at large. Further proof of that? Hawaii and Kansas being the only remaining undefeated teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly known as Division 1-A), yet STILL being robbed of the top two spots. In all other sports leagues/organizations, win/loss record takes precedence, yet it doesn't in NCAA college football! What's so special about college football that gives the MEDIA the power to decide who's going to compete for the National Championship?

College football needs a post-season tournament system, just like most of the other NCAA sports! That way the National Championship will TRULY be decided on the field, where it's SUPPOSED to be decided!

The last time we even had a National Championship Game worth being played on the field? 2005 season, when we had undefeated USC against equally undefeated Texas! Last year, we had undefeated Ohio State against 1-loss Florida...all while UNDEFEATED BOISE STATE GOT SNUBBED AND HAD TO SETTLE FOR ONE OF THE OTHER "MAJOR" BOWL GAMES! Guess what happened when those two games were played on the field? "Undefeated" Ohio State gets defeated by one-loss Florida, while undefeated Boise State won their bowl game, and stayed undefeated the whole season, yet a team with a worse record than them got in the National Championship game AHEAD of them and won! Since when does the win/loss column not matter anymore?

El Bandito
11-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Since when does the win/loss column not matter anymore?

When you play teams that really aren't that good. Boise State barely beat an Oklahoma team that would've been destroyed by USC, OSU, Florida, or Michigan. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing story, but I was surprised they even got there.

It would be like if we sent a team to the Superbowl for going undefeated against a schedule consisting of only Miami and the Jets.

As much as the BCS can be a mess, a playoff system just wouldn't work in college football. First of all, it would take nearly a month or longer to complete (cutting further into the finals time of every major university). Also, it would kill the allure of the big BCS bowls.

Is it really that bad to miss the national championship but still win one of the other BCS bowls. I'm sure the players are happy regardless. I mean, people are too obsessed with "who's #1".

Strider
11-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Ohio State was overrated last year.

Now, let's talk about Hawaii for a moment.

The media likes to harp about how the Warriors haven't played anybody, right? Well, has anyone considered that maybe NO ONE WANTS to play them? Not a lot of people realize how difficult it is to schedule a game on the island for anyone of significance, because no one wants to go that far and risk getting beaten. It costs the school a ton of money for all those trips to the mainland for games in Boise and Fresno and Ruston and such, but no one will play them on their own turf, either. BCS pansies... Who has Kansas played to deserve being #2? Central Michigan and Southeastern Louisiana? Ooooh. And don't get me started on Ohio State.

On a related note, Colt Brennan needs to at least be a Heisman finalist. The guy is really good, I've seen him myself and he's definitely gonna be a first-round pick next April.

El Bandito
11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
If Florida didn't have three losses, people who say anyone other than Tim Tebow should win the Heisman would be laughed at. The season the Soph QB has had this year is absolutely ridiculous. All this in the SEC of all conferences.

And I remain by my statement that if Kansas can beat two top ten teams in consecutive games (Mizzou and Oklahoma), there's no way you can argue they aren't 1 or 2 in the nation.

Strider
11-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Wow, LSU goes down. And in triple overtime again, no less.

So that opens the door for West Virginia, but what happens if UConn can pull off an upset? Are we talking about Ohio State again at that point? Ugh.

Spawn of Sephiroth
11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
If Florida didn't have three losses, people who say anyone other than Tim Tebow should win the Heisman would be laughed at. The season the Soph QB has had this year is absolutely ridiculous. All this in the SEC of all conferences.

You ditching the SEC? They are without a doubt the toughest conference in the country. Give us any team from any conference, and any of our teams will give em hell.

ljkkjlcm9
11-26-2007, 06:58 PM
I think LSU may still be the best team in the country. Two losses, both in triple overtime. That just sucks.

West Virginia should be number 1 right now, and I really don't want to see Ohio State in the National Championship... but I'm afraid they may very well be. Owell

the simple fact of the matter is, not all wins and losses are the same... which is why I believe LSU is still number 1
some teams just are better than others. For he who mentioned Florida being National Champions and not Boise State... I would bet a lot that Florida could've beaten Boise State

Some teams are overrated, but it's true in the NFL too, with teams like the Colts.

THE JACKEL

El Bandito
11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

You ditching the SEC? They are without a doubt the toughest conference in the country. Give us any team from any conference, and any of our teams will give em hell.

Ah, you got me wrong. I was saying the fact Tebow has been able to put up those numbers in the ridiculously tough SEC makes them even more impressive.

Also, it's a shame that LSU fell again by such a small margin. They have a hell of a team and it's not likely they'll make the Nat. Championship now. Though Mizzou has really impressed me. Can't wait to see the Big 12 Championship game.

Spawn of Sephiroth
11-26-2007, 09:21 PM

Ah, you got me wrong. I was saying the fact Tebow has been able to put up those numbers in the ridiculously tough SEC makes them even more impressive.

Also, it's a shame that LSU fell again by such a small margin. They have a hell of a team and it's not likely they'll make the Nat. Championship now. Though Mizzou has really impressed me. Can't wait to see the Big 12 Championship game.

My apologies. The Big 12 game is gonna be big, but I believe LSU will fall again this weekend to Tennessee(excluding the fact that I'm a Vol fan) cause UT has a lot of momentum and is in a tough mode to beat, so the SEC Championship will be a tough fought game as well. I also hate how Hawaii is undefeated and are only ranked 12!?!? Come on now, they deserve to be a little higher and given a little better chance than what they are going to get.

prayzer
11-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Though Mizzou has really impressed me. Can't wait to see the Big 12 Championship game.

Indeed! Mizzou has impressed a lot of people. The Big 12 Championship is gonna be a good game. Go Mizzou!

My apologies. The Big 12 game is gonna be big, but I believe LSU will fall again this weekend to Tennessee(excluding the fact that I'm a Vol fan) cause UT has a lot of momentum and is in a tough mode to beat, so the SEC Championship will be a tough fought game as well.

Glad to see another UT fan. I really hope Tennessee pulls a win out of their butts for this one. They need it. They haven't really been a solid team since, well, the '98 Championship. Its definitely gonna be a good game. I can't wait!

Kirobaito
11-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Man, I am excited as all get-out over Art Briles's hiring at Baylor. Not only is he an offensive genius, but his hiring finally comes recruiting prowess, which is the biggest problem with the program. The #3 dual threat quarterback in the nation has already switched his commitment from UH to BU. Briles was also the president of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association, which gives him an in on the best football recruiting ground in the nation.

I think I just pooped a little bit.

El Bandito
11-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Good. If Baylor can also step its game up, it'll just help even more the case that the Big 12 needs to stop being overlooked as a great football conference.

El Bandito
12-03-2007, 01:36 AM
So Mizzou got screwed big time. I like Kansas, but Mizzou deserved that spot over them.

As for the Championship game, should be a doozy. I'll take LSU in a close one.

Kirobaito
12-03-2007, 01:42 AM
So Mizzou got screwed big time. I like Kansas, but Mizzou deserved that spot over them.

As for the Championship game, should be a doozy. I'll take LSU in a close one.
Yep. I like all of the BCS decisions except for taking Kansas over Mizzou. I don't know how you make that kind of call.