PDA

View Full Version : Lego Star Destroyer Bridge

BG-57
11-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I've been having a hard time deciding which forum to put this in. I decided to put it here, since it's technically a 'project'. I'm cool with the mods moving it if need be.

I've always enjoyed Legos growing up and once they started making Star Wars stuff I thought: 'Wouldn't it be neat if they made a model of an Imperial Star Destroyer, to scale with the minifigures?' Since that was unlikely to be forthcoming I decided to design one of my own.

I used Microsoft Paint to make a geometric grid the size of a large baseplate and superimposed a circle on it to the approximate size of the central pit. I then drew up blueprints for each layer of bricks, calculating the total number for each.

The figures I kitbashed from a set called 'Final Duel' It had an Imperial officier, Luke Skywalker, and a Stormtrooper. I waited until they were heavily marked down and bought a whole bunch. Any suggestions as to what to do with 17 Luke Skywalker figures would be appreciated. :p

I made a half scale model to work out the way to place the curved wall panels. The computer bricks and hinge pieces came from ebay. Most of the grey bricks I ordered from Lego directly.

At the last minute I decided to make lower levels with office space and a Stormtrooper's barracks.

Namelessfengir
11-15-2007, 12:26 AM
so if you use that as a scale base and had enough money/time you could build the whole thing. think of it, damn thing would be the size of a car. maybe have some pvc support struts to hold it upmaybe coat the thing with superglue chuck it off a bulding and see if it survives the fall

BG-57
11-15-2007, 12:04 PM
You may laugh but I heard of one person who made a harpsicord to human scale. That works. With everything made of Legos except the wires.

scrumpleberry
11-15-2007, 06:19 PM
That's pretty awesome. Kudos, hope you can get it finished without screaming in a rage XD

Proxy
11-19-2007, 06:26 AM
you sir are my hero.
I would love to see you work out a full custom model.
I love star wars, I love legos. Ilove lego star wars.
I have a fe models, but not all of them.
ps do you know where I can find PDF or image directions for construction, cause I lost one of my more impressive models directions. and I wanna build it again.

BG-57
11-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I think a complete Star Destroyer to minifigure scale would only be feasible if I won the lottery. :p

lego.com has downloadable building instructions. Maybe they have some of your set.

EDIT: Come to think of it, which set was it?

Proxy
12-04-2007, 03:45 AM
It's the B-Wing.
I miss looking at it =(

And the V-Wing Fighter.
Edit: got the v-wing. been the b-wing. =(

Flying Mullet
12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Very cool.

Every now and then I tell myself I should drag out my legos and build something cool like that, but I never get around to it.

BG-57
12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
It's the B-Wing.
I miss looking at it =(

And the V-Wing Fighter.
Edit: got the v-wing. been the b-wing. =(

The newer B Wing, or the older one?

Very cool.

Every now and then I tell myself I should drag out my legos and build something cool like that, but I never get around to it.

Well, my suggestion is to build a partial model to see if your design is feasible. Then build the full scale model.

I Don't Need A Name
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM
wow thats pretty ace
you should keep making new, uncreated star wars areas.
do the geonosian arena xD

Proxy
12-05-2007, 05:52 AM

Uh..no idea. I guess the newer one. I didn't get it too long ago.

BG-57
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
wow thats pretty ace

If you like I can make construction blueprints for it. Or did you want me to actually build it?

Uh..no idea. I guess the newer one. I didn't get it too long ago.

Sounds like the newer B wing, the one with the yellow stand so you can store it in the vertical position. I have instructions for that one.

Maybe_Tomorrow
12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Awesome! As much as I love messing around with Legos, I have no patience when it comes to making something like that. *Kudos for you!

I Don't Need A Name
12-05-2007, 06:31 PM
wow thats pretty ace

If you like I can make construction blueprints for it. Or did you want me to actually build it?

actually build it! :bigsmile:

BG-57
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I accept Paypal. ;) Bricks cost money you know.

Proxy, here are the scans of the first few pages. I can only post five scans per post.

Proxy
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Epic! Thanks man. I really am grateful for this!

Heath
12-15-2007, 08:45 PM
The Star Destroyer Bridge is really impressive. I admire not only your patience but how well it turned out! Like other people have said, I too have always thought it would be something cool to do but have never gotten around to doing something like that. Used to love playing with Lego though.

BG-57
12-16-2007, 01:58 AM

My pleasure. :)

BTW, do you need the plans for the yellow stand as well? I have about three pages left of the B wing itself.

The Star Destroyer Bridge is really impressive. I admire not only your patience but how well it turned out! Like other people have said, I too have always thought it would be something cool to do but have never gotten around to doing something like that. Used to love playing with Lego though.

My favorite touch is that it's built entirely out of regular bricks. I dislike prefabricated units like castle walls or roof pieces. The earliest Lego sets were built this way.

Proxy
12-18-2007, 03:31 PM

My pleasure. :)

BTW, do you need the plans for the yellow stand as well? I have about three pages left of the B wing itself.

Yes actually I do, thanks very much. I was gonna ask that in this post, but you beat me to it =)

BG-57
12-20-2007, 02:35 AM
OK.

BG-57
12-20-2007, 03:19 AM
Sorry for the double post. That should be it.

Proxy
12-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Awesome! thanks a bunch. Though I am missing quite a number of pieces somehow, but oh well. I can find extras kicking around =D