PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Languages :O

Kneric the Iconoclast
11-15-2007, 02:46 AM
Learning a foreign language can be fun! 8U
What languages can you speak?! :O

I speak....
English (my native language)
Japanese (I actually know quite a bit, and can carry on in pretty extensive conversation =D)
French (I took one year of it in school, pretty much forgot all of it though XD)
Korean (just a little bit that i've learned from my friends. =D)

Araciel
11-15-2007, 02:47 AM
English with half a cup of French and a dash of Cantonese.

Nominus Experse
11-15-2007, 02:48 AM
American English and some Latin and Japanese

Madame Adequate
11-15-2007, 02:49 AM
English
Estonian to a functional proficiency
Tiny bit of French

NeoCracker
11-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm quite fluent in Engrish myself.

Akaria
11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
English, being native, and 3 years worth of high school and 1 year of college level Japanese.

Raven Nox
11-15-2007, 02:53 AM
English, and I've taken three years of German, so I can somewhat speak that.

Kirobaito
11-15-2007, 02:58 AM
English fluently, obviously.

Spanish enough to get by. I can carry on formal conversations, but I don't have enough vocabulary to speak it casually.

Vermachtnis
11-15-2007, 03:00 AM
English
I took three years of Spanish, so I can get around if I ever go to Barcelona.
I'm taking German now.

Jojee
11-15-2007, 03:43 AM
English
Chinese
Spanish (kind of. I took it in high school)
and a tiny bit of Portuguese :p

qwertysaur
11-15-2007, 03:47 AM
English (American), seven years of Spanish, and a little bit of Korean.

Bunny
11-15-2007, 03:53 AM
I can speak relatively fluent English. I also have a basic understanding of Spanish and French, not enough that I can actually speak the language to any spectacular degree but to a point where I understand the basics of what is being said and, with enough time, can figure it out. I also have an understanding of German, although that is very sketchy and not as great as the French and Spanish understandings.

I would like to learn some languages but I have no interest in actually doing so. French bores the hell out of me and Spanish is too basic and common to be interesting. I would like to learn German, Swedish, Norwegian and have some measure of decency with several Slavic languages. I have no interest in Japanese, Chinese, or just about any other Asian language other than Korean, and that is only a minor interest. It's a shame that I have trouble committing things like language to memory.

Miriel
11-15-2007, 04:47 AM
English
Korean - Used to be fluent, dropped down to moderately fluent. Parents have been trying for years to ship me off to Korea cause they think I'm losing a grip on my culture.
Spanish - arroz con pollo! I know phrases like "where's the bathroom" and "check please". Oh, and the days of the week and months of the year. :p

I know a few words here and there of Thai, Japanese, and Chinese. My grandpa speaks Japanese fluently, and he used to point at stuff and tell us how to say it in Japanese. But it's one of those in one ear and out the other sorta things.

Big D
11-15-2007, 04:51 AM
English is my first language.
One of my degrees is a German major, but I'm a bit out of practice.
Though I'm far from fluent, I know a bit of Maori. As a result, I know a few words in most Pacific languages too.

It'd be nice to learn a few more languages - Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Hebrew, something with an important and long history.

rubah
11-15-2007, 05:01 AM
I speak english.
I speak a little french.
I speak even less spanish.

I could probably survive in countries that spoke those languages though! (people who didn't speak them probably could too)

J'ai un examen oral vendredi matin :(

oddler
11-15-2007, 05:33 AM
English and barely any French.

Je suis la jeune fille.

Yamaneko
11-15-2007, 05:40 AM
Well Spanish is my first language. My English was pretty terrible up until the second or third grade. I had to do remedial English and ESL classes when I started grade school.

I'm also currently taking Russian 1. It's going very well, but difficult.

I still remember some French from when I took it in high school.

Rengori
11-15-2007, 07:13 AM
English. That's it. I'm taking Spanish (1) and you can ask Ramza how horrible I am at it xD

Ramza Beoulve
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM
English. That's it. I'm taking Spanish (1) and you can ask Ramza how horrible I am at it xDDon't even ask, it's so horrible you'll want to rip out your eyes :p

Well, I speak Spanish (native lenguage, Duh!), quite good English, and I can understand some Portuguese, French and German.

KH-Cloudy
11-15-2007, 07:30 AM
English mostly throughout my life.
Cantonese comes secondary as I speak it more at home.

Heath
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
English is my mother tongue. I speak enough German to hold an intelligent conversation with a five year old. I have a better understanding of the language than I can speak it if you'd like. Some Welsh too, but not much.

Breine
11-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I speak Danish and English fluently, and I'm almost fluent in German as well. Other than that I can speak some Spanish, and I also had one year of Latin back in the Danish equivalent of High School.. and because I'm Scandinavian I understand Norwegian and Swedish, but don't speak them because Danish is pretty similar and I'm too lazy to actually learn them :P

KoShiatar
11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Italian, English, some Japanese, and some words of German.

Jimsour
11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Fluent in Irish, fluent in English, can *read* some French and German (very little, signs and etc), and I took Japanese for a year at university so could probably go to Japan and be able to live comfortably.

Jess
11-15-2007, 11:30 AM
I can only speak English. I know little pieces french, and I want to learn more. :jess:

starseeker
11-15-2007, 05:53 PM
I can speak English, a fair amount of Japanes, can get by in French and know a few words of Polish.

Sergeant Hartman
11-15-2007, 05:54 PM
English, and I can make up some Welsh, it's not that hard.

Zeldy
11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
English; fluent
French; 3 years worth
Finnish; odd few words and sentences.

^_^

Kanshisha
11-15-2007, 07:03 PM
English: Fluent
French: not that much
Chinese: Not that much
Spanish: kinda
Filo: Understand it but not say it

Polaris
11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Portuguese
English
Spanish
German
French

Meh still trying to learn japanese ^^

Miriel
11-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Well Spanish is my first language. My English was pretty terrible up until the second or third grade. I had to do remedial English and ESL classes when I started grade school.

Hahaha, me too. Except my first language was Korean. I think if I didn't have to deal with the embarrassment of being in ESL, I never would have started reading books like crazy, and I never would've ended up in GATE, and then I wouldn't have ended up in Honors classes and then AP classes, and then I never would have made it into USC. Nothing like a little embarrassment to whip a person into shape.

Jojee
11-15-2007, 07:32 PM
I had to do ESL too, it was fun! <3 We read books and had easter egg hunts and stuff x]

~*~Celes~*~
11-15-2007, 07:34 PM
J'ai un examen oral vendredi matin :(

*insert day of the week 'cause she forgot what vendredi is*morning oral exams suck -_-;

Ahem. English, as that's my native language. French (in my third year of learning it this year), some Italian, and very minimal Spanish and Japanese.

Zeldy
11-15-2007, 09:49 PM
vendredi = friday.

Old Manus
11-15-2007, 11:39 PM
I have a GCSE in French and know a handful of welsh words. Welsh isn't that hard, you just speak english in a funny accent and add 'iau' to the end of nouns and 'io' to the end of verbs. I can't speak English.

Jimsour
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I want to learn polish but I dont even know how to pronounce the words :( Its like someone blattered a keyboard.

ReloadPsi
11-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I love languages. They are my favourite things out of all the nerdy, geeky things that I like.

If a genie gave me one wish, I'd ask for subtitles.

English - First
French - Second
German - Third
Japanese - Eh, I dabble

Ouch!
11-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Englisch und ein wenig Deutsch.

The Summoner of Leviathan
11-16-2007, 04:55 AM
English is my mother tongue. Le français est ma deuxième langue.

In good theory, I should be fluently bilingual. I'd like to think that I have a native-speaker's comprehension of the French language. My actual skills in French have dramatically dropped throughout the years. This is also another reason why next year when I have a like 24 credits left in electives, that I want to take a French class to bring back my French. Not too sure if I want to take oral or writing. I would prefer to take writing but I believe oral would be more useful.

Currently, I am taking a class in Japanese. I have a bare minimum understanding. Most days, when my prof is speaking in Japanese, I know what she is saying, other times I am at a lost.

I studied Ancient Greek for a semester. Did not go too well. A difficult language. It also made me realize that French grammar is easy compared to Ancient Greek.

Ashi
11-16-2007, 06:51 PM
My native tongue is Arabic. My family started teaching me English when I was 3 years old, but I probably picked some words up here and there before then.

The school I went to up to the sixth grade taught us French but a year or two later I remembered none of it. I finished a Berlitz Level 1 course in French just last month and I'm waiting to start my Level 2 course sometime next week.

On my first year of college, I finished a Berlitz Level 2 course in Japanese. I used to read Hiragana/Katakana pretty well but it's been around four years and no practice so I don't remember much at all. I actually wanted to go back to learning Japanese instead of French earlier last summer but the only instructor available had an extremely busy schedule. Ended up being more interested in French some weeks later, and I still am.

One day, I plan to take up German.

Kossage
11-16-2007, 08:14 PM
For me it's Finnish, English, Swedish and a bit of German. :p