PDA

View Full Version : Arrrgh. *headdesk*

Momiji
11-18-2007, 06:13 AM
'kay. I just waited hours for Rappelz (MMORPG) to download, install and patch. When I finally get into the game, everything is monochromatic and polygon-ish, instead of the smooth graphics expected, and half of the time it kicks me off before I can completely finish logging in. Obviously, this 7-year old hunk of hardware I call a computer is not up to standards. However, I need to know what to fix. I meet the minimum requirements for CPU and RAM, but I'm not sure about my graphics/video card. Judging from the issue, is a new graphics card what I need to fix the problem, or do I need more? Please help me, as I am very anxious to play this!~

Thanks in advance for helping a hardware-inept idiot.

Rostum
11-18-2007, 07:49 AM
This would probably be best in the Help forum, simply because you have people like O_o that know heaps about this stuff.

First of all, it'd be great to know what your current computer specifications are, and how much you are considering spending?

Video cards are very easy to install, and a lot of them are cheap (unless you only have AGP slots, opposed to PCI-e). Installing a new CPU and RAM is quite easy too, so long as you buy the right ones for your motherboard.

So yeah, more information, and perhaps I can tell you some more and recommend some hardware.

:)

Momiji
11-18-2007, 01:07 PM
This would probably be best in the Help forum, simply because you have people like O_o that know heaps about this stuff.

First of all, it'd be great to know what your current computer specifications are, and how much you are considering spending?

Video cards are very easy to install, and a lot of them are cheap (unless you only have AGP slots, opposed to PCI-e). Installing a new CPU and RAM is quite easy too, so long as you buy the right ones for your motherboard.

So yeah, more information, and perhaps I can tell you some more and recommend some hardware.

:)

Sorry. Could a CK move this? Please and thank you. ;)

As for the specifications, my archaic machine has an Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz CPU (meets minimum requirements), 512 MB RAM (also meets minimum requirements), and a RAGE 128 Pro AGP 4x TMDS card (whatever that is.)

The recommended specifications for the game is a 2.0GHz CPU, a GeForce2 MX card, and 1024 MB of RAM. As for spending limits, I'd say anything that isn't EXTREMELY expensive is fine. This computer's on it's last legs anyway, I plan on getting a laptop sometime next year. But I wanna play that game SOOOO bad. xD

Awrini
11-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Exactly HOW does this belong in the help forum?

Momiji
11-18-2007, 01:44 PM

'Cause I need help! Silly 'nano. :P

Rostum
11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

Because it's a technical issue, not a general gaming discussion?

Anyway, it looks like all you may need is an extra 512MB RAM and a fairly cheap card. That is, if you are planning on getting a laptop next year.

For the graphics card, you have a wide range of options to be honest. I'd go with AGP just incase you don't have PCI-e (chances are you don't if your system is that old). You could look around for 256MB cards, or 128MB cards may do the trick depending on what features they have.

Try looking at nVidia's GeForce 6600GT and ATI's Radeon 9800 PRO (256MB version). I used to have a 9800 PRO and it is a very good and solid card -- the last game I ran on it was Doom 3 on high settings and it did the trick fine.

I hope that helps somewhat. I'm not really sure what are good cheap cards, as I haven't looked around lately (seems to change so often).

Genome
11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Or you could just not waste your time with Rappelz.

Momiji
11-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Or you could just not waste your time with Rappelz.

Or you could just stay on topic.

Anyway, I spent some time on #eoff and I think I got the information I need. This thread can be closed now.