PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Game

Realm25
11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Okay the point of this thread is to think back to past generations, and come up with what you think is the most underrated game for each system. Categories:

NES
SNES
Genesis
PS1

I'm mainly interested in those 4, but by all means, add your system/game if you'd like.

Madame Adequate
11-19-2007, 10:24 PM
Can't speak for the NES and SNES.

Genesis/Mega Drive:

Alien Soldier, Eternal Champions, Marko's Magic Football, Cannon Fodder, Comix Zone, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Mega Lo Mania aka Tyrants: Fight Through Time, and of course, Zero Wing.

PS1: Too many to mention, but here are a few salient ones. They may not all be underrated per se but they are games I generally don't hear too much about.

Jumping Flash 1/2, Fade to Black, X-Com: Enemy Unknown (better on PC but this is still a valid version), Ace Combat 2, Suikoden I & II, Transport Tycoon (Although PC versions are superior again), Vandal Hearts I & II (Much better than FFT imo), Alundra (Alundra > Zelda), Poy Poy 1 & 2, Colony Wars series, and Legend of Legaia.

leader of mortals
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
I would say Radiata Stories for PS2 and Legend of Legaia for PS1

DK
11-19-2007, 10:30 PM
Genesis/Mega Drive: Eternal Champions, Cannon Fodder, Comix Zone, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story, Mega Lo Mania aka Tyrants: Fight Through Time

Yes. YES

you are a great man

I Took the Red Pill
11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Can a brother get some Megaman Legends.

Psychotic
11-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Future Cop LAPD for the PS1. It is beautiful.

Evastio
11-19-2007, 11:54 PM
It'd probably be the Twinbee series because no one has ever heard of it before until reading this post.

Lawr
11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
It'd probably be the Twinbee series because no one has ever heard of it before until reading this post.

The sound effects for that game are SO annoying!!

Markus. D
11-20-2007, 12:10 AM

The sound effects for that game are SO annoying!!

Twinbee was better in Parodius(s) anyway.

Evastio
11-20-2007, 12:15 AM
Where have you Twinbee players been!? I thought I was all alone until now.

The sound effects aren't that bad compared to other NES/SNES/PS1 Games.

As for Parodius it was nice how it made reference to the Twinbee series but I didn't like the lack of Twinbee characters (Princess Melora, Light, Pastel, etc.)

Dreddz
11-20-2007, 02:11 PM
NES- Bionic Commando
SNES- Terranigma
Megadrive- Shadowrun ( people seem to only know of the SNES version but fail to realise that that version sucked and this verson was vastly superior)
PS1- Alundra ( Milf already said this and he was right in saying that it is better than Zelda )

And a few others........

Ico
Dark Chronicle ( almost every Level-5 game actually )
Terminator ( Megadrive version, the best movie game in the 16-bit era imo)
Rival Schools
Soukyugurentai
Waku Waku 7
Albert Odyssey
Elan Doree

Loony BoB
11-20-2007, 02:20 PM
I agree with Alundra and Ace Combat - well, any Ace Combat. Cannon Fodder was also much fun. Can't think of anything on my own, it seems.

ReloadPsi
11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
NES
Gun.Smoke (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/image/578544.html) - Everyone tells me this game sucks, and moans about the "plot hole" of having ninjas in the old west. HELLO ASIAN SLAVES ANYBODY?

SNES
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Fighting Edition (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/data/588494.html) :p It's hard to pick a SNES game really; all the half-decent SNES games got the recognition they deserved.

Genesis
Fantastic Dizzy (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/data/586175.html) - Okay, so you can't save your progress and have to beat it in a single sitting. Guess the smurf what? All games used to be like that you tard! Stop bitching already!

PS1
The original Guilty Gear (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/data/197504.html) (in the UK anyway; everyone seems to hate it) - Awesome soundtrack, fairly original characters (if you disregard the similarities to Last Blade, but they were made by the same person), awesome soundtrack, nice self-adjusting difficulty, awesome soundtrack, a good storyline and a soundtrack that's just one instalment in a series of soundtracks that, in comparison, make me say "smurf Final Fantasy."

Polnareff
11-20-2007, 07:32 PM
NES:
Layla (import only, but that's no excuse)
Bionic Commando (beats the arcade version BY FAR)
Strider (almost as good as the arcade game, but still underrated)
Terranigma (IMO better than A Link to the Past)
Section Z (beats the crap out of the arcade game)

SNES:
Uniracers (lots of fun)
Pop 'n Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventures (great Twinbee game =) )
Shonen Ninja Sasuke (great Sunsoft title)

Genesis:
Comix Zone (lots of fun, great moves and dialogue)
Kid Chameleon (a dude that can transform into pretty much anything? Great!)
Shinobi III (a lot of people I know hate it but it's awesome)

PS1:
Mega Man Legends (IMO the greatest MM series there is)
Misadventures of Tron Bonne (quite fun)
Saga Frontiers 1 and 2 (I don't care what anyone says :p )
Point Blank (great party game)
Ore no Ryorui/I'm the Chef (great import cooking game)
PaRappa the Rapper
Um Jammer Lammy (still the best two music games yet)
Tomba! 1 and 2 (great platformers)
Breath of Fire IV (some people like III but not IV too much it seems)
Gokujyou Parodius! (fun, fun, FUN!)
Thunder Force V

Other games:

Crisis Beat
Dynamite Cop
Lufia 2
Rakuga Kids
Project Justice
Mega Man Battle & Chase
Soukyu Gurentai/Terra Diver (awesome!)
Trap Gunner
Battle Circuit

Vermachtnis
11-20-2007, 07:46 PM
NES:

PS1:
Mega Man Legends (IMO the greatest MM series there is)
Misadventures of Tron Bonne (quite fun)
Breath of Fire IV (some people like III but not IV too much it seems)

Yes! Someone else found Tron Bonne fun. And I totally agree with what you said about those other two.

Nes: Crystalis
SNes: Earthbound (Everyone heard of it here, but other places not so much)
Genisis/Megadrive: Phantasy Star III (Given, it's not as good as the first two or even the fourth. It's not as bad as people give it)
PSOne: Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Vivisteiner
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
The Hobbit.

And after speaking to Empower, FFIX. :p

CloudDragon
11-20-2007, 07:58 PM
NES: Crystalis (looks like somebody already beat me to the punch on this one)

SNES: This one is a little more broad. I think I'll go with Lufia & the Fortress of Doom

Genesis: Shining Force II

PS1: Legend of Legaia

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
XBox: Halo

theundeadhero
11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Bionic Commando was a fantastic NES game. Gunsmoke was also fantastic. I do not like Crystalis very much.

Shadowrun was my all-time favorite game for the Genesis/Megadrive system. Far better than the SNES version.

I can't stand Alundra! I tried 1 and 2 and didn't like either. Zelda is far better.