PDA

View Full Version : Magic the Gathering Tournament 3

edczxcvbnm
11-19-2007, 11:06 PM
It has been a year or so since we have had a magic the gathering competition here and I want to take you suckers DOWN!

If you wish to participate then PM me and let me know where you live so that I can better match people up who live in about the same time zones so that setting up your match will be easier and more convenient.

Also specify which type you wish to play. Type I or Type II.

*what follows in 100% ripped from the previous tournament thread.

Well, I got bored, and while looking at the spoiler for the new set coming out in a month, I felt we should go for another MTG tourney.

This one, as promised, will be using Magic Workstation, which is available here: Downloads - Magic Workstation, Cards Management and Decks Testing for CCG Players, Online Play (http://www.magicworkstation.com/downloads.php)

Once you've downloaded that, run the autoupdater, or download the most recent master database sos you can get the cards. (The most recent Database can be found here: Main Page - MWS Games & Manuals (http://www.mwsgames.com/index.php/Main_Page) )

If you want the card arts, then download them via bittorrent here: Torrentspy.com - The Largest Bit Torrent Search Engine (http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/852099/MWS_HQ_MTG_PICS_Complete_thru_CS_September_5_2006)

Now then. PM if you wish to enter. As we're not using Apprentice this time, I hope we can avoid the connection problems we had last time. And I'm also hoping for more entrants. As with last time, we will be using type 1 (Vintage) rules. That means no Un- sets or banned cards. Standard rules on restricted cards. Also, each round lasts for three days, wherein you and your opponent set up your own match times. Then you notify me of the winner. Same as last time.

Now then, build your decks, and send me your pm.

Also, could a mod sticky this? plzkthx

So let us get this :skull::skull::skull::skull: underway!

We shall play with type 1 tournament rules. I believe there are no banned cards and only a few restricted cards.

For more information and questions you might have there is a wealth of information in the previous tournament thread.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/92908-magic-gathering-tournament-2-revenge.html

Type I - All cards ever besides a few restricted and banned cards.
Currently registered:
edczxcvbnm
Jojee
Chaos Is the Key
iostiogic(did not specifiy which type)
Ultima Shadow
Behold the Void
Nominus Experse(total noob. Will need help during the game)

Type II - All cards from the past two core sets and their expansions. No banned or restricted cards yet...well everything before the past two core sets is banned...I guess XD
Currently registered:
Chaos Is the Key
iostiogic(did not specifiy which type)
Ultima Shadow
Behold the Void
Nominus Experse(total noob. Will need help during the game)

Please correct any mistakes I might have made through PM and continue to encourage others to join in on the fun!

It BEGINS!

Type 1: Round 1:

One week will be given to complete the round. I suggest best two out of three due to the luck of the draw aspect game. Sometimes a person can have a really bad round due to bad cards or land droughts or land overloads and stuff. Some people are new so if they are please help them along if they have questions.

I also recommend playing a slower paced game over all. Give people the chance to play spells and interrupts during your turn. Communication is more key than ever since people will be reading cards they are unfamiliar with and trying to make decisions. Obviously use your best judgment.

First Round:
Jojee vs edczxcvbnm

Chaos is the Key(Bye to next round)

iostiogic vs Behold the Void

Nominus Experse vs Ultima Shadow

Round 2:
Jojee/edczxcvbnm vs Chaos is the Key

iostiogic vs Nominus Experse/Ultima Shadow

Nominus Experse
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
I'd like to join.

I don't know how to play yet, so bear with me. The internet has been trying to teach me this last hour.

The Unknown Guru
11-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I would play if it was Type 2. I don't know squat about Vintage.

blim
11-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I might be up for this. Is it easy to pick up how it works?

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2007, 12:42 AM
I might be up for this. Is it easy to pick up how it works?

It isn't the easiest thing to pick up. It can be quite complex.

I would play if it was Type 2. I don't know squat about Vintage.

Type 1 is all cards all the time. Most good cards from the past have been constantly remade. I don't think they have depreciated any of the abilities over the years so you should be fine but you would have to explain new abilities and stuff to people like me who have not played since the end of 4th generation.

Behold the Void
11-20-2007, 12:45 AM
Definitely interested. I'll look into the gritty details later, I'm Ultra Reporting at the moment.

escobert
11-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Yeah, I'm down with the again. Also I will be using my real life deck for this. I have a blue/red counter hellish awesomeness ready to go

Tasura
11-20-2007, 03:16 AM
I'm up for it, and since I bought a booster box of the new set, I might make a deck out of that, or just use one of my old ones.

Jojee
11-20-2007, 04:39 AM
All right, I'm all ready to kill people! ^_^ ...Or play cards. Or... whatever you do in this game. Let's go. :</>D

Behold the Void
11-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Just a suggestion: why not run a Type 1 and Type 2 tournament? No harm in playing more games.

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2007, 07:48 AM
I could do both but then Jojee and I would not be playing at all. Type two excludes those who stopped playing ages ago. Jojee is gonna get a deck and learn from me. Type I includes everything besides the few banned and restricted cards which almost never come up anyway.

Behold the Void
11-20-2007, 08:12 AM
I might be able to run the Type 2 if you want.

Baloki
11-20-2007, 01:00 PM
O.o

edczxcvbnm
11-20-2007, 04:24 PM
Sure. You can run a type two at the same time. I just didn't want to split up the small pool of people that do play magic here. I will add the different tournament types up top now if that is what people really want.

Also, can this be stickied?

CimminyCricket
11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
This is awesome.

edczxcvbnm
11-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I still have not gotten a PM from anyone >:0 I guess I didn't make that clear but it should be clear as hell now!

Nominus Experse
11-22-2007, 08:58 AM
If you guys are willing to answer a few nubcake questions, I'll join. I just don't want to throw in my participation when I am unprepared.

Ultima Shadow
11-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Awesome. In the past two tournaments, I were still inexperienced. But now I finally understand pretty much every singel damn rule in the game. Wooohooo! :cool:

Oh, and can you participate in both the type 2 and type 1 tournaments? I prefere type 2 since there are less boring and stupid instant-win 0ber combos in there. But there seems to be very few who are willing to play type 2, and I'd like to play more than just 1 or 2 people.:greenie:

Behold the Void
11-23-2007, 08:14 PM
If I'm running Type 2 I don't care if you compete in Type 1 as well. I know I will be doing so.

Xaven
11-24-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm assuming this will be played though MTG Online?

edczxcvbnm
11-24-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm assuming this will be played though MTG Online?

You assume wrong. Magic Workstation!

iostiogic
11-24-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm down.

Ultima Shadow
11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
If I'm running Type 2 I don't care if you compete in Type 1 as well. I know I will be doing so.Nice. In that case, I'm joining both.

Also, a quick question about Magic Workstation: If I use a card that allows me to put another card (from my library) on the top of my library without revealing it to my opponent, is it actually possible for me to do so without revealing it to my opponent? I mean... as far as I know, there's no "shuffle your library and then put this card on top of it" command. And if I temporarily put the card in my hand while shuffling my library, and then put it back, my opponent won't know if it actually was that card or in fact another card that I put back etc.

edczxcvbnm
11-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I think something like that goes by the honor system unless you can place that card face down on the table right away. I would have to look into that a bit. Most of this goes off the honor system anyways when dealing with unfamiliar cards. I myself like to use the card Aether Storm and City of Solitude. Both cards have caused a bit of a problem in the past with those unfamiliar with them and City of Solitude is open to interpretation as it is given the vagueness of the card.

I personally would just avoid using cards like that I guess. You can always ask one of us to meet you in a game online so we can test it out or can we test it out ourselves? It has been a while since I used the program :P

Ultima Shadow
11-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Well, the card I was thinking about using is one of the new planewalker cards (Liliana Vess). But then again... I guess some might be unfamiliar with the planewalkers and how they work, so I guess I should just come up with something else to use instead.:greenie:

And in case I use Vess anyways, I could just stick with her other 2 abilities or something, I guess. Or I could just pretend that there was a "you have to show the card to your opponent" rule. xD

Uh, well... if anyone wants to try out his/her deck, just send me a PM.:cool:

Behold the Void
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Got my Type 1 deck ready, will work on Type 2 when I have a moment.

edczxcvbnm
11-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Come people...we need more people! I would like to get to at least 8 people total.

edczxcvbnm
11-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Ummm...I guess no one else wants to join so unless I get someone this weekend we start on Monday and I will randomly choose a person to have a bye through the first round.

Behold the Void
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I'll run Type 2 after Type 1, just so we don't have schedules bumping into each other quite so much.

edczxcvbnm
11-30-2007, 08:03 PM
No problem. I might have Jojee and I join that one assuming the following.

1) I can find enough cards in the new types to make a decent deck
2) Jojee likes the game and understands it enough

The Unknown Guru
12-01-2007, 03:19 AM
Damn, I can't get MWS working. Freaking Macs.

Ultima Shadow
12-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Damn, I can't get MWS working. Freaking Macs.What seems to be the problem? Have you updated the card database correctly?

edczxcvbnm
12-03-2007, 07:15 AM
No new person mean that I will be setting this up sometime tomorrow and randomly picking a person to have a bye XD I will probably just assign numbers and ask a co-worker to pick a number 1-7 to see who gets the bye.

Good luck to everyone.

Ultima Shadow
12-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Tomorrow is now today. So... starting soon? :greenie:

edczxcvbnm
12-05-2007, 05:13 AM
It BEGINS!

Type 1: Round 1:

One week will be given to complete the round. I suggest best two out of three due to the luck of the draw aspect game. Sometimes a person can have a really bad round due to bad cards or land droughts or land overloads and stuff. Some people are new so if they are please help them along if they have questions.

I also recommend playing a slower paced game over all. Give people the chance to play spells and interrupts during your turn. Communication is more key than ever since people will be reading cards they are unfamiliar with and trying to make decisions. Obviously use your best judgment.

Jojee vs edczxcvbnm

Chaos is the Key(Bye to next round)

iostiogic vs Behold the Void

Nominus Experse vs Ultima Shadow

Behold the Void
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
I PMed iostiogic and still haven't heard anything back from him.

edczxcvbnm
12-06-2007, 08:43 PM
He has not been on since the 3rd and I sent stuff out on the 4th. I would say give it until saturday. If still no response then...I don't know...play Mr. Lucky with the bye week or take a bye week yourself.

Behold the Void
12-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I'll play the one with the bye.

edczxcvbnm
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
Okay. I still say wait till saturday though. He could just be busy with something and it has only been a couple of days.

iostiogic
12-07-2007, 09:48 PM
sry for the delay.
it was finals week.
just finished them up, So I'm really glad they are over.

Ultima Shadow
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I and Nominus Experse decided to play last friday, but it had to be pushed forward to Monday(yesterday) or Tuesday(today) since he said he had other things coming up during last friday and the weekend.

I still haven't gotten any response from him yet, though. And tomorrow's the last day. And since he's using the invisible mode, I can't tell when he's online and when he's no. >_<

He may show up later today, but it's already late on the afternoon over here so...

...I'll check back again in a few hours.

edczxcvbnm
12-11-2007, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. This thing is a goddamn train wreck for people right now with finals either happening or around the corner.

EDIT: Jojee and I are not gonna play until Friday but I am already trying to set up the next match up with Chaos to take place when we finish.

Behold the Void
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
I lost pretty resoundingly, by the way.

edczxcvbnm
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Ouch. Out again in the first round.

If I have time next week would you like to play for fun?

EDIT: Actually everyone from the last tournament went out in the first round XD We are a bunch of losers. Thread should be called. MTG: Losers Tournament XD

Ultima Shadow
12-11-2007, 06:48 PM
EDIT: Actually everyone from the last tournament went out in the first round XD We are a bunch of losers. Thread should be called. MTG: Losers Tournament XD
Not quite yet. I participated in the last tournament as well, and I'm still left. xD

And you and Void still got a chance to win the T2 tournament, at least. :greenie:

Anyways, if anyone would like to play some matches for fun while I wait for Nominus Experse to get ready, just send me a PM. :greenie:

Behold the Void
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
I'm always up for a game, so long as I have the time.

Clouded Sky
12-11-2007, 08:22 PM
So I missed the tournament, but I'd love to play if anyone gets bored.

Granted, I just started playing a month ago, and have only seen like 200 different cards, and played 3 games. Now I'm not at school so I can't play anymore.

Badge
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
My Enchanted deck would kick all of your arses =(
I haven't played for ages though =(

=Angelus=
12-12-2007, 06:12 PM
So.. i guess i'm a little late =X

Hehe.. its my 1st experience with workstation.. but i'd like to give it a try.. might need some help with the set-up and stuff.. will let you guys know once i finish d/l-ing it..

Ultima Shadow
12-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Still no response from Nominus Experse. Has he even been online lately?

edczxcvbnm
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think so. Last post was on 12/7. That is almost a week ago now.

Tasura
12-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Oi, ed, I might not be able to play tomorrow, since I'm drunk off my ass right now, and have no idea when I'll regain consciousness tomorrow, and I still haven't made a deck, AND I've got to clean my room so I can move out Saturday for the Christmas break, the cleaning will probably take the bulk of my day, sadly, but I'll see what I can do.

edczxcvbnm
12-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Don't worry if you can't make it. We will set up the match for another day. I forgot that I should probably install the program on another computer so that Joy and I can play each other in the same house XD

I don't know which of us will win though >.>

Green Swarm deck with direct damage
vs
Counter/Control deck with Merfolk

I think this is anyone's game.

I don't know how you people keep deck sizes at sixty cards XD Mine are always 80-100 cards =O I just want all this crap in there XD

Tasura
12-14-2007, 11:39 PM
So I ended up making a deck just now, so if anyone wants to play send a PM my way, until Ed or Jojo wins, or something.

Ultima Shadow
12-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Saturday. Still no response.

Edit: Sunday....

...is it okay if I just go ahead and play iostiogic?

iostiogic
12-17-2007, 06:54 PM
you should play Chaos Is the Key.
because he had the bye in the first round and being that your opponent(who hasn't showed) is your first round match-up.
but then that would make the matchups odd.
:/

edczxcvbnm
12-17-2007, 07:01 PM
You two play each other :P This tournament is so fail XD Maybe we should just rename this thing to the "who the hell wants to play magic with each other?" XD

edczxcvbnm
12-18-2007, 06:48 AM
Joy beat me with the deck I made her. She is a super noob so please answer her questions. She still needs to play me for more practice though before she goes on to the next round.

Tasura
12-18-2007, 06:50 AM
I'll go easy on her, I swear.:evilking:

rubah
12-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I'll play someone? :D

Tasura
12-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry, I lied, I won. She took a screen of the end of the second game.

Jojee
12-18-2007, 09:59 AM
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/sukifruit/jesus.png

I totally blame Chaos if I fail my final tomorrow XD

Ultima Shadow
12-18-2007, 01:45 PM
you should play Chaos Is the Key.
because he had the bye in the first round and being that your opponent(who hasn't showed) is your first round match-up.
but then that would make the matchups odd.
:/Let's just make it simple and play each other.

Nominus Experse didn't show up in time so he's out, I progress, I face you in round 2. I guess that would be the most simple way to do it. xD

Just give me a PM whenever you're ready. :greenie:

Edit: Jojee: Turn 125!? Wtf? O_o

Tasura
12-18-2007, 08:20 PM
It wasn't 125 turns, it was only about 55-60, we didn't bother resetting any counters after the first game.

iostiogic
12-19-2007, 05:44 AM
rdy when u are.

edczxcvbnm
12-21-2007, 07:16 PM
The final round will be Chaos Is the Key vs iostiogic/Ultima Shadow good luck to you all XD

Ultima Shadow
12-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I win and progress to final round. :cool:

Chaos Is the Key: Send me a PM whenever you're ready. :greenie:

Tasura
12-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Probably won't but until sometime after Christmas, I am notoriously drunk and not home for the next 3 days.

Ultima Shadow
01-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Ready anytime soon? >_<

Tasura
01-05-2008, 12:25 PM
xD yes, tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I get back to uni and if they have the internet up and running.

Ultima Shadow
01-06-2008, 02:42 PM
I win!

Champion of the T1 Tournamnet: ME!

BW controll for the win! xD

Behold the Void
01-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Roll call, who all is up for the T2 tournament?

Tasura
01-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Sure, why not.

Ultima Shadow
01-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Yup, yup. I'm totally ready!

Rinoa Lover
02-02-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't play MTG.

Ultima Shadow
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Did this thread die? Whatever happened to that T2 tournament?

Oh well.

Since I love myself so much, I'm going to post some fan-made cards that I made when I was bored:

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7712/shadskingofhentaism5.png

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/604/riderjs6.png

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/9431/kosmosmn9.png

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7391/rydiapy9.png

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/1154/wrathofshadstx2.png