PDA

View Full Version : Kindle my fire, babycaeks. <3

Rye
11-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I dunno what forum this would go into, but let's give GC a shot. :bigsmile:

I really super-cereally want the Amazon Kindle. It's a little PDA-ish type of thing that can hold hundreds of books for you. It has wireless connection for free, and you can download books for $10 dollars and less straight onto it. Check out the video on it's feature. (http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/ref=amb_link_5873612_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=gateway-center-column&pf_rd_r=0TZV5WC6KG15TGZGMCA6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=329252801&pf_rd_i=507846)

It's a fantastic little thing for someone who reads as much as me. I'll be getting this or the X-Box 360 for Christmas. What do you think of it? :kaoyatta:

Araciel
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM
Definitely do want. Welcome to Star Trek.

Awesome.

Also, get it instead of the xbox.

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM
No no no. Kindle is an acceptable desire but it's first-generation. First generation stuff sucks. Wait a year or two until there are more on the market and the Kindle 2: The Kindling is out or something like that. 360 this Xmas prz. :3

Shlup
11-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Gimmie?

Luther X-Rated
11-20-2007, 02:57 AM
No no no. Kindle is an acceptable desire but it's first-generation. First generation stuff sucks. Wait a year or two until there are more on the market and the Kindle 2: The Kindling is out or something like that. 360 this Xmas prz. :3

Well if you wait too long it's popularity goes down. Naturally the price goes down, but you look like a douche if you buy it when it's already all pedo :irked:

fire_of_avalon
11-20-2007, 03:01 AM
I don't really think Ryepants up there gives a lick about it's popularity. She's just a bibliophile.

Araciel
11-20-2007, 03:03 AM
tee hee foa said a dirty word

also, yeah I just want it now...After seeing it, I want it.

Rye
11-20-2007, 03:12 AM
I don't really think Ryepants up there gives a lick about it's popularity. She's just a bibliophile.

Yeah. xD I don't think it's going to be like a Sidekick or iPod Nano where all the cool kids have one. I just really really like the idea of having 200+ books in one thing, because I have at least 2 or 3 books in my bag at any given time.

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 03:14 AM

Well if you wait too long it's popularity goes down. Naturally the price goes down, but you look like a douche if you buy it when it's already all pedo :irked:

I don't even know what you're talking about.

XxSephirothxX
11-20-2007, 03:36 AM
I don't think I'd want to replace paper with a computer screen as my primary source of reading. Besides, paperbacks are only like 8 bucks, which is a comparable price per book, and don't have a 300 or 400 dollar base charge or whatever.

rubah
11-20-2007, 03:37 AM
I don't like reading books on a screen :(

I don't know what I want for christmas. I got a little digicam stowed away that looks like plain sex~

It's kinda hard to find the distinction between gift and normal buying in our society anyways. Man don't you hate that phrase 'our society'? but it's true. 100 years ago, clothes made excellent presents and you were glad to get them, but now they're just want your aunt picks up because she doesn't know what to get you or even what your style is.

But now, clothing is on a wants-based system, or even 'omg how cute' system. Unless you're the extreme poor, you can afford buying new clothes every few months (even if just from goodwill). So clothing is out of the picture unless it's something special from some exotic place, but even then that's not usually saved as a present for christmas.

There are a lot of things I've bought this year that would've made an awesome christmas or birthday present; trumpet, camera, scanner, books, clothing, movies. but I justified them in some way or another 'cheapness or desire mostly' and now I'm left with nothing to wish for, or no surprises.

Christmas really is a mixed bag like that. You can either get what you want or you can be surprised, and I hate only getting one. but I am not willing to give up the HAVE IT NOW option instead of waiting a few months for birthday/christmas (but I have to wait a long time, unlike people who have summer birthdays whose max time at any given time is ~6 months. You just can't milk halfbirthdays for as much)

and speaking of summer vs winter birthdays, anyone else with a birthday within a month of christmas feel like we get shafted on presents? 'oh you'll get the big stuff for christmas' 'oh you still have some more for christmas'

but when christmas comes, it never seems worth the wait :|

Luther X-Rated
11-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Pedo is spanish slang for :skull::skull::skull::skull: or worthless and I thought you were saying to buy it later when the price went down.

Nominus Experse
11-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Oh my oh my...

Rye, you've suddenly made me become very dangerous, for I now have something I want terribly, and have no money to purchase it...

fire_of_avalon
11-20-2007, 05:57 AM
also, for Christmas I want to go home, and a nice set of knitting needles, yarn and a beginners knitting book.

Araciel
11-20-2007, 06:17 AM
I want my soul back.

Resha
11-20-2007, 07:36 AM
I hate reading books on a screen. Books are for paper and print and paper and print and have been since time immemorial. It's the same reason I don't read fanfiction and stuff xD

But I guess it'd be a cool gadget for someone who don't mind.

Araciel
11-20-2007, 07:41 AM
The screen looks kinda' like paper though, and from the sounds of it, reacts the same way in the same light. I thought the same way at first because I hate editing writing on my computer, or reading whole books.

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
I hate reading books on a screen. Books are for paper and print and paper and print and have been since time immemorial. It's the same reason I don't read fanfiction and stuff xD

Five hundred years is not time immemorial. :p

Pedo is spanish slang for :skull::skull::skull::skull: or worthless and I thought you were saying to buy it later when the price went down.

I intimated that meaning from the context. I still don't understand why this would make you "look like a douche".

Loony BoB
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree with the bunch of people who prefer to read things on paper. I'd read the forums on paper if paper was magic.

Jess
11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I'd rather read books on paper and I rarely get time to read books anymore unless they're for my college course!

For Christmas I'd like a sat nav for when I pass my driving test because my sense of direction is awfullllll. :jess:

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
uberrofl@rye

Resha
11-20-2007, 05:53 PM

No, now, I was thinking about the Egyptians and their papyrus and hieroglyphics.

Rye
11-20-2007, 06:41 PM
uberrofl@rye

Why do you laugh, Q-Q-Q-Quin?

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 07:11 PM

No, now, I was thinking about the Egyptians and their papyrus and hieroglyphics.

Egyptians are mythical.

Bunny
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
They were also made of stupid and fail.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 07:17 PM
uberrofl@rye

Why do you laugh, Q-Q-Q-Quin?

Not just any laughter, Rye. uberrofl.