PDA

View Full Version : Damn you English language!

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I'd read the forums on paper if paper was magic.

This confused me for a second. I read: "I had read the forums on paper if paper was magic." That's clearly wrong. But "reeeeeaaaad" is also said "red", which I had forgotten.

So what things about the English language confuse you from time to time? I suppose Americans can join in too, as you're English-esque.

Resha
11-20-2007, 05:57 PM
It confuses me greatly with its irregularity, but that being said, I love it deeply :heart: when used well, it's the most gorgeous amazing thing ever.

Tallulah
11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
I keep reading 'shopfitting' as 'shoplifting' and I even misread 'Santa' as 'Satan'

Breine
11-20-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm sometimes confused about the difference between "might" and "may", meaning I'm not sure which one to use in certain sentences.

ReloadPsi
11-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Not only did you read it wrong, you also failed to correct it.

You see, I'd read the forums on paper if paper were magic, but I'd never neglect to use the subjunctive if the subjunctive were necessary.

WELCOME TO THE BONUS BOX!!

This is a bonus box. One day I'll put fun things in it!

Heath
11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I even misread 'Santa' as 'Satan'

There's probably a conspiracy theory in there.

I find English to, quite simply, a very British language. It's got silly eccentricities, rules that apply to very specific words but not others, some ridiculously malleable structures for sentences (compared to something more rigid like, say, German) and it's just a rather nice language to use, I think.

Ouch!
11-20-2007, 09:49 PM
The abundance of irregularities in the English language can be frustrating at times, especially, I'd image, for those who are not native speakers. Too many words are exceptions to otherwise logical rules, but I think the most frustrating inconsistency in the English language is the multiple pronunciations of the same combination of letters.

That said, as English is my first language, I don't often have many difficulties with it. I learned a long time ago not to attempt to find a logical structure behind the English language and just love it as it is.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Canadians are more English than Americans. We have all those U's added.

FavoUrites, rumoUrs, coloUrs...

Luther X-Rated
11-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Hamburgers don't have ham in them
goose is geese
moose is meese?

Rengori
11-21-2007, 08:00 AM

Hamburger is a borrowed German word, blame the Germans for that.

goose is geese
moose is meese?

English has a tendency to not do stuff if it sounds retarded.

Luther X-Rated
11-21-2007, 08:21 AM

Hamburger is a borrowed German word, blame the Germans for that.

goose is geese
moose is meese?

English has a tendency to not do stuff if it sounds retarded.

Yeah you got a point there :/

ReloadPsi
11-21-2007, 06:29 PM

They come from Hamburg. "er" on the end of a town name in German means it comes from that place. Next time I hear someone moan (in person) that hamburgers don't have ham in them I'm going to kill them.

Jimsour
11-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I get confused reading american spellings. "labor", "favorite". Is your U button broken?