PDA

View Full Version : Dictionaries and Thesaurii.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I would say thesauruses, but every time I do I end the sentence with "precioussss...".

I just looked up veracity. It's a funky word, and I want to use it daily.

BUT!!!!! My favourite word of all time is: paroxysm. It's so cool.

Right, el subjectio. Do you like looking up new words, or finding different ways of saying things you already know by means of a dictionary or thesaurus? I do. It's educational and strangely relaxing.

Can you give us some examples of words you like, or ones you would like to use more frequently?

Jojee
11-20-2007, 06:25 PM
I like pulchritudinous, I've been using this one since high school and no one knows what it means! :mog:

I like big words ^_^

theundeadhero
11-20-2007, 06:27 PM
The thesauruses was a mighty dinosaur!

ReloadPsi
11-20-2007, 06:30 PM
I like to use new words that I've heard elsewhere; make sure I know what they mean and how to use them. I can't force myself to learn new words though.

Greetings Thesaurus Alan! I'm infusing my hydrate with volcanic properties!

Bunny
11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
I hate words. The only reason I use them is because speaking in grunts is socially unacceptable.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I hate words. The only reason I use them is because speaking in grunts is socially unacceptable.

Maybe in Fool-land, where you come from. I can speak in grunts and still get my point across. The point usually being "I don't like you. Why did you start talking to me? Please leave."

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
I see no valid exculpation from the prelation of one's linguistic capacities and lexical reserves. Attaining the avant-garde of anti-atavistic articulation is an admirable accomplishment. Also attractive is alliterative assonance.

Bunny
11-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I also hate MILF. >:|

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Did I tell you how I seduced Rye?

Hello! Here we have a history and hopeful hereafter, handed out by a humble human not held by habit or horrors, but a hero of honesty and held hypotheses. Having his friend in his heart he hungers for her hugs and holds homilies hindering and humiliating those who harmonize against his holding her in friendship, and who hence hamper his and her happiness. However, harbor not hopelessness but have faith in his handsome and lion-hearted hardihood as his high-spirited and hardball haranguing is hardly hyperbolic but is, in fact, a haggle not half-hearted. And now a hasty and hurtful adieu, harassed by headhunters, this hale and humorous humorist honors his hearers with his handle, Huxley.

Denmark
11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
An astronomical amount of alliteration, and afterwards insanity.

Pulchritudinous, Joy? Funny how it sounds like it has the same root as sepulchral but in fact they're nothing alike! Unless you think tombs are beautiful.

I was trying to say "yeah I like obscure words" in obscure language but I'm far too languorous. :\

LunarWeaver
11-20-2007, 07:54 PM
This is why I spoon with my Viking cardboard cutout and pretend it's Milf.

I used to go to dictionary.com and check out their "Word of the Day" thing or whatever, but then I just stopped a long time ago. Words began to bore me, I guess ~;(

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Did I tell you how I seduced Rye?

Hello! Here we have a history and hopeful hereafter, handed out by a humble human not held by habit or horrors, but a hero of honesty and held hypotheses. Having his friend in his heart he hungers for her hugs and holds homilies hindering and humiliating those who harmonize against his holding her in friendship, and who hence hamper his and her happiness. However, harbor not hopelessness but have faith in his handsome and lion-hearted hardihood as his high-spirited and hardball haranguing is hardly hyperbolic but is, in fact, a haggle not half-hearted. And now a hasty and hurtful adieu, harassed by headhunters, this hale and humorous humorist honors his hearers with his handle, Huxley.

'Tis nothing compared to Hugo Weaving.

Madame Adequate
11-20-2007, 08:02 PM

I could never match Agent Smith. :cry:

Vermachtnis
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Ungh uwaa uh uh ungha!

Meh, I know enough words to get by and even more words to impress people with. People get confused when I speak smart-like.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 08:09 PM

I could never match Agent Smith. :cry:

Screw Agent Smith, I meant V.

Voilą! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-ą-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.

theundeadhero
11-20-2007, 08:09 PM
http://www.geocities.com/floydsarmy/rexxy.png

Oh heck no! You ain't gettin' a piece of <i>this</i> tale, rexxy!

NeoTifa
11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
i like words in other languages. i love to expand my foreign vocublary

Posting a foreign version of a word that is censored on the forums is close enough to going around the swear filter. Some of us speak German fluently :p ~hero

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
i like words in other languages. i love to expand my foreign vocublary

:skull: :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull: :skull::skull:!

Fixed.

Peegee
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
DocFrance is that you? He made the same thread. Did DF join EoFF?

I tend to use vernacular when vocabulary is sufficient.

Ouch!
11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
I missed profanity in Deutsch? Bummer.

I like the thesaurus, but I rarely use it unless I feel that I'm using a particular word excessively and want to find an alternative. I'm not a fan of using the thesaurus to find more complex words; I think that when one's vocabulary appears too verbose, he begins to look like an absolute moron. Thesauruses, especially online ones, are often inaccurate anyway because they will list words with similar meanings which may not function properly in the context in which they appear. More often than not, I find myself cross-referencing words I find in a thesaurus with a dictionary just to be sure it still fits the context. The dictionary for Macs, which references the New Oxford American Dictionary, the Oxford Writer's American Thesaurus, Apple Dictionary, and Wikipedia makes this task infinitely easier and more efficient.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-21-2007, 07:30 AM
I will look up any word I can't estimate the context and meaning of.

"Esoteric" is one word I looked up I hope to use more.

I will only use the thesaurus if I'm really stumped for an extremely esoteric way of writing, increasing the quality of my prose.

Resha
11-21-2007, 10:47 AM
Dictionary.com word of the day does it for me! Not that I remember half the words. I find it difficult to remember new words unless I can -- really use them. USE THEM. Otherwise it just becomes empty vocabulary.

But this favourite word business reminds me of that UK Channel 4 thing.