PDA

View Full Version : DEXTER (Showtime Original Series)

CloudDragon
11-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Being that I'm a huge fan of this show, I decided to see if any EoFFers might be as well.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Dexter is a Showtime Original Series about a Miami Metro PD Blood Spatter Analyst (Dexter: played by Michael C. Hall) who moonlights as a vigilante serial killer...i.e. he only kills murderers. That's just the original premise but the show itself is a bit more complex than that. The show is originally based of Jeff Lindsay's series, but has since broken away from the original plot.

The second season is currently being aired on Showtime right now and I can state with 100% belief that this is the best show on Television right now. My favorite part about the series is all the moral questions in brings up, and the writers, producers, and cast do a fantastic job of focusing in on all the moral conflict in a big, BIG way. I recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen it. The first season is out on DVD now, but if you're a pirate I'm sure you can find your way to it.

Also let me mark the opportunity to use this thread for any discussion about the series, but be sure to mark your spoilers.

Breine
11-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I haven't watched the show, but I know that Julie Benz is on it.. and she's hot! - at least she was when playing Darla on Buffy/Angel.

Shiny
11-20-2007, 08:14 PM
I'm glad Dexter ditched that British woman he was with. She is crazy...not that he isn't. Also Doakes > All

Burtsplurt
11-20-2007, 08:29 PM
This is definitely on my 'to watch' list. They never really show a lot of the good US series' over in the UK. Once I'm done with 'The Wire', I'll move on to Dexter.

P.S. I think both 'The Shield' and 'The Wire' would be pretty hard to beat for the best-TV-programme-at-the-moment accolade.

Germ Hamee
11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
I LOVE DEXTER.

This last episode was insane. One of the things I love most about this season is that Dexter is a murderer who gets to work his own case. So much fun to watch.

CloudDragon
11-29-2007, 10:12 AM
So the last episode, "Resistance is Futile", might be the best one in the entire series.

The whole sequence where Dexter finds his blood slides gone and immediately the FBI shows up and marches him to the police station where he sees Lundy and Matthews and the blood slides in an evidence bag was brilliant. I knew they couldn't know because obviously Doakes had the slides and went to Haiti, but during that scene with the music and the motion and the faces on Lundy and Matthews I was nearly CONVINCED he was a goner

I've been counting down the days until the next episode on Sunday and it just seems so far away. A television series can't get much better than this. The acting, producing, writing, directing, cinematography, and music is nearly perfect in this series. Not to mention all the questions of ethics and moral ambiguity that it raises to the audience. Such a powerful show.

Germ Hamee
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm right there with ya. I thought I was going to have a heart attack watching this last episode, ESPECIALLY the last scene. Good god, this one week wait between episodes is murder.

Does anyone know if the whole season is already written? I'll have a conniption if the writers strike is the only thing between us and the season finale. I'm really hoping that cable networks like Showtime have these sort of things written out well ahead of time.

CloudDragon
11-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Yeah man, all the episodes have been written, filmed, edited, and all that good stuff. We won't have any troubles getting those last three episodes.

Deborah
11-30-2007, 07:59 AM
This is probably the only tv show I'll watch, it is very good! Can't wait for Sunday! Uh oh!

Jon Thompson
11-30-2007, 09:40 AM
You all should be reading the book series too!

I stopped watching these season after a few episodes (have to watch through a friend, anyways) with the chance the last episode or two might not to be finished and with the writer's strike I would have to wait god knows how long. I'd rather just wait for pretty much all of it for the DVD release.

CloudDragon
11-30-2007, 10:13 PM
You all should be reading the book series too!

I stopped watching these season after a few episodes (have to watch through a friend, anyways) with the chance the last episode or two might not to be finished and with the writer's strike I would have to wait god knows how long. I'd rather just wait for pretty much all of it for the DVD release.

From what I've read of the summaries of the books, it sounds like the TV series went in a much different direction and I think the TV series is much better.

Also I honestly don't understand how you could have stopped watching. I'm jawing my teeth and breaking a few just from all the waiting and suspense. This season did start out kind of slow, but it's picked up in a COLOSSAL way.

Anyway, Sunday's episode is titled "There's Something About Harry". Apparently we are supposed to find out something about Harry that we (and Dexter of course) didn't know? Got any theories? Be sure to mark spoilers.

Jon Thompson
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
The movies and the books are different in many ways. I haven't read book two or three yet (need money) but the book told the same story minus all the melodrama. While it adds for a show, stretching it out, the book was much darker and more morbid. Even the Dexter character is different, much more empty in the book. It's all brilliantly written for the subject matter.

Think about it; it's like the same great Dexter told two different ways. The first book was great and I heard they only get better.

Fatal Impurity
12-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Am I the only one to of mistaken this for Dexters laboratory!?

Cookie
12-01-2007, 09:55 AM

No.

No.78
12-01-2007, 10:27 AM

No.

Yeah me too. I was disappointed :(

CloudDragon
12-04-2007, 08:35 AM

No.

Dexter's lab falls way way short compared to this show.

Jessweeee♪
12-04-2007, 03:15 PM

No.

Dexter's lab falls way way short compared to this show.

I'm so disappointed I'm going to go make a thread about it.

Germ Hamee
12-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, I'm happy to report that the last episode of Dexter was better than any of Dexter's Laboratory I've seen. :D At least I'm not being disappointed about anything. Ohohoho.

CloudDragon
12-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Much appreciated. Let's talk about that episode and the previews.

Now I knew there was something about Harry, but Harry killing himself? That one threw me for a loop. An interesting twist and it'll be even more interesting to see how Dexter decides to handle that information. Also Doakes looked sooo messed up after witnessing Dexter kill that dude in the cabin. Nearly terrifying!

Germ Hamee
12-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I was pretty surprised about the suicide. That was NOT what I was expecting to be the big revelation. I was honestly waiting for a big "Dexter, I am your father" type of deal with Harry. The thing with Dexter slashing somebody up in the living room was priceless. Poor Harry. He really had no idea what he was creating.

And this was probably the first time I've ever felt bad for Doakes, or felt anything toward him but hatred. He's never been so visibly vulnerable before. The poor bad ass was near tears begging to work something out with Dexter.

Good stuff. Two more episodes!

CloudDragon
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Earlier I was downloading the last episode as I always do so my friends can catch up when they can make the premiere of an episode and what did I run into?

Oh no the last two episodes "Left Turn Ahead" and "The British Invasion" have leaked to the torrent world. Both links were sitting there haunting me, <i>tempting</i> me to download them. Luckily I stayed strong. I want the suspense and as much as I hate waiting I want to be surprised as every other happy viewer is when the show airs.

Germ Hamee
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
You pretty much have more self control than I'll ever have. I've already succumbed, and I must say, I don't feel even the least bit bad in doing so.

Now the hard part is going to be not talking about what happens to anyone waiting for it to air. :\ I would be right there with them, but it's not like I have Showtime so it was either this or wait for the DVDs anyway. (Which I'll be marathoning to everyone I know as soon as they're out)

escobert
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Being that I'm a huge fan of this show, I decided to see if any EoFFers might be as well.

For those of you who aren't familiar, Dexter is a Showtime Original Series about a Miami Metro PD Blood Spatter Analyst (Dexter: played by Michael C. Hall) who moonlights as a vigilante serial killer...i.e. he only kills murderers. That's just the original premise but the show itself is a bit more complex than that. The show is originally based of Jeff Lindsay's series, but has since broken away from the original plot.

The second season is currently being aired on Showtime right now and I can state with 100% belief that this is the best show on Television right now. My favorite part about the series is all the moral questions in brings up, and the writers, producers, and cast do a fantastic job of focusing in on all the moral conflict in a big, BIG way. I recommend this show to anyone who hasn't seen it. The first season is out on DVD now, but if you're a pirate I'm sure you can find your way to it.

Also let me mark the opportunity to use this thread for any discussion about the series, but be sure to mark your spoilers.

Yar! I'll be lookin for treasures!

I'll check it out. Liz talks about it all the time so I'm sure I'll be forced to watch sooner or later xD