PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Vista patch?

Skyblade
10-21-2007, 06:02 AM
I've been having trouble running FFVII in Vista. It starts out ok, but Cloud vanished when I went to the game's second area (when AVALANCHE is clustered near the door, before you name him). He reappeared after the first battle I got in running randomly around in there. The music has gone wonky a couple of times, though that could be just my settings, but then the game quit before I reached the first save point. Since I haven't had any of these trouble before, I'm attributing them to Vista. Anyone know if there is a Vista patch yet?

Necronopticous
10-21-2007, 06:06 AM
The Vista patch is Windows XP.

Nothing works in Vista.

aquatius
10-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Uninstall Vista, get XP. All problems solved.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
10-21-2007, 11:11 AM
that seems like rather a roundabout solution. if you still hvae ur old PC then try just running it on that. until the patch comes out (if it even does) i guess there isn't a solution :(

ReloadPsi
10-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Alternatively you can illegally download and emulate the PSX version... assuming you can find the ISOs for it anyway. And assuming you can find an emulator that works with Vista.

Rokk
10-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Just a suggestion. Try right-clicking on the program EXE Properties, and go to the compatibility tab. Then check 'run in compatility' and choose Windows XP from the droplist. See if that works :) .

edczxcvbnm
10-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Don't listen to them XD Download and install Virtual PC and install windows 98 in a new instance...assuming you have a windows 98 or 95 disc around that you can use that is :D It works for me for running all of my old games but I go hardcore with Virtual Server because I have nothing better to do than eat system resources XD

Max
11-20-2007, 02:17 AM
It really wasn't even meant to run in XP. If you have the PSX Version, just get a PSX emulator and use your game discs.

KoShiatar
11-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Humm, not that I know of, but perhaps you could require one here. (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?board=3.0)

Baloki
11-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Help forum would have won this battle by now :)

KoShiatar
11-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Hum, I'm not sure about that. It is help related to the game after all, but Skyblade could ask having it moved if he feels he's got more chances to find help that way.

Skyblade
11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
There's a help forum? ...Hey, there is! Neato. I guess this should be moved then.

Baloki
11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Have you applied the following patches:
http://www.eyesonff.com/ff7/files/riva_TNT.exe (Only needed if you use a nVidia Card)
and
http://www.eyesonff.com/ff7/files/FFVIIXP.zip

Once you've applied those do as D33p Darkn3ss said:

Just a suggestion. Try right-clicking on the program EXE Properties, and go to the compatibility tab. Then check 'run in compatility' and choose Windows XP from the droplist. See if that works :).

Skyblade
11-20-2007, 03:17 PM
*Smacks head* I totally forgot about compatability options. Not that I expect it to work, since Vista sucks, but I'll give it a try anyway once I get home. Thanks for the advice, Baloki and D33p.

Baloki
11-20-2007, 04:54 PM
*Smacks head* I totally forgot about compatability options. Not that I expect it to work, since Vista sucks, but I'll give it a try anyway once I get home. Thanks for the advice, Baloki and D33p.

Just don't forget you'll need the XP patch for it to work :)

KoShiatar
11-20-2007, 08:00 PM
There's a help forum? ...Hey, there is! Neato. I guess this should be moved then.

There you go. :)

Serapy
11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
1) Installed patch 1.02
2) Disabled FFDshow's TruMotion decoder to avoid interference
3) Installed the FMV driver (http://aaronserv.dyndns.org/hosting/ffsf/downloads/ff7betap1.zip)
4) Set Win98 compatability mode on ALL executables. That includes ff7, ff7config, even the cdcheck one.

The game then worked perfectly fine Smiley

Source'd by Guspaz at QHIMM

Discord
11-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Install Ubuntu. It won't help a bit, but you'll have a very cool OS.

KoShiatar
11-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Lol. Let us know if it worked.
And from now on, avoid Vista like the plague whenever you can. Bad bad bad bad for retro gamers.

Rostum
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, it was bad enough trying to get Grim Fandango to work on XP, let alone Vista!

By the way, when does the Vista service pack come out? I bet that'll make Vista pretty cool (like it did with XP).

Baloki
11-21-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Quater of 2008 is the official release date so we're looking at the end of 08 for a general release if we're lucky :)

Rostum
11-21-2007, 10:27 PM
1st Quater of 2008 is the official release date so we're looking at the end of 08 for a general release if we're lucky :)

D;

crono_logical
11-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Install Ubuntu. It won't help a bit, but you'll have a very cool OS.If you use Windows in VirtualBox under Ubuntu, it might work nicely though :p

KoShiatar
11-22-2007, 01:15 PM
That's a possibility. XD

Skyblade
11-22-2007, 04:58 PM
I've switched compatability mode, but when I try to install the patch, I get an error saying it's unable to identify the game executable, and do I want to try adaptive patching, which might corrupt my game files. Does anyone know what that's about?

Anyway, the compatability switch didn't do anything to improve the game. Cloud disappeared as soon as he reached the second room, and the game crashed when he met up with the rest of the team (which he did before he became visible again this time, because I ran into them before I got in a battle). Any other ideas?

Serapy
11-22-2007, 05:55 PM
I've switched compatability mode, but when I try to install the patch, I get an error saying it's unable to identify the game executable, and do I want to try adaptive patching, which might corrupt my game files. Does anyone know what that's about?

Anyway, the compatability switch didn't do anything to improve the game. Cloud disappeared as soon as he reached the second room, and the game crashed when he met up with the rest of the team (which he did before he became visible again this time, because I ran into them before I got in a battle). Any other ideas?

Did you disable FFDshow? If you have enough computer's memory, it might be easier if you could install a VMware, install win98 in it, play FF7 in it whenever you want.

Araciel
11-22-2007, 06:50 PM
I just put xp on my vista system.

Skyblade
11-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Did you disable FFDshow? If you have enough computer's memory, it might be easier if you could install a VMware, install win98 in it, play FF7 in it whenever you want.

How do I go about disabling FFDshow?

And, yes, I believe I can install VMware, so that will probably be my final solution for this. ...Stupid Vista...

Serapy
11-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, I'm not sure if I'm right but I think it's part of the big codec package, if you do have that stuff. Uninstall it, re-install it but when you see each codec in the package during the installation, if you see FFDshow in there, disable that. If you don't have the package, try find it in Add/Remove window? Or somewhere else I don't know. If you don't have FFDshow then I don't know, yeah VMware might be the best choice but if you don't want to do that, ask for support on the QHIMM forums regarding your vista issues.