PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: lurk moar

Denmark
11-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Name of the forum has not been disclosed to prevent advertising. I pray that if you tell a story, you have similar tact.

So lately, I've been feeling like branching out some on the internets, joining some new and different forums based on things that are not Final Fantasy. I finally did that last night, and went back this afternoon to check out the forum I found in greater detail. I had posted a newbie thread there saying, essentially, "Hi, I'm new", you know? This was when the first chill of unpleasantness ran down my spine. Instead of just being bombarded with posts saying "Welcome! we love you zomg your penguin avatar is so awesome therefore you're awesome stick around and post lots!", they wanted me to talk about myself. The second occurrence of an uneasy feeling came when I read the forum's rules, you know, for a laugh. One of the things they seemed to stress heavily was <i>keeping posting to a minimum</i>! Seriously, an almost direct quote from one of their mods was "You guys are posting <b>10 times a day</b>! That's too much!". So I got to thinking that this place was scary and weird.

Do you feel that EoFF is wholly different from any other forums you've ever visited, for reasons other than different focal subject matter? Are we a unique community? Examples/details plz!

You guys are very social and willing to talk a lot about anything at all, and I've grown to like that over the last 6 1/2 years.

Rye
11-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Except for satellite forums, I pretty much have the toughest time getting into other communities because I'm so used to being a veteran here and having the respect/acknowledgment of it, if that makes sense.

Quindiana Jones
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Except for satellite forums, I pretty much have the toughest time getting into other communities because I'm so used to being a veteran here and having the respect/acknowledgment of it, if that makes sense.

No one respects you here. :confused:

Baloki
11-20-2007, 08:46 PM
I actually frequent alot of other forums but here and one other are the only ones I actually make a concerted effort to post in, the rest I am just a lurker.

Don't get any ideas though, you guys still all suck more then Raist and Unne on their dentures...

LunarWeaver
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
I respect Rye for having a lot of pink.

Other forums do feel a bit different. Mostly it's just a size thing for me, though, as a lot of others are really small. I've never belonged to one that was all "You're posting too much" crazytalk. Isn't that the whole point of a forum? I mean, nobody goes to an orgy to be a virgin, that's all I'm getting at. No, wait, I think that made less sense. The point is stupid rules are stupid.

Jojee
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
We are a unique community. We are a lot more moderated and friendly than most. While they may look to EoFF as a school because of its rules (and their actual enforcement) I do prefer this kind of atmosphere very much. ^_^

I like smaller boards with not so many members where we can spam it up (even more) as well, but those tend to get out of hand sometimes.

Shlup
11-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I posted at another forum once and the mods where so stuck up their own ass that it didn't last long. It was a good way to gain some appreciation for EoFF though.

theundeadhero
11-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I've never managed to register at anything but satellite forums because upon lurking to see if I want to register I found them all to be horrible. I can't find a good superhero forum to join :(

Peegee
11-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Hmm...

I have been a member of philosophy forums for years but virtually always lurk. I post sufficiently to have a good post count of a person who's not a noob/newb but I don't feel part of the community.

Conversely I am a supposed veteran here (using ciddies rules).

On the complete extreme, I was part of the 'clique' in the forum for blackgoku dot calm (site no longer has a forum don't worry). I made a lot of friends there and thus when D(a)BG wanted to expand the forums and recruit mods, I was admitted.

By comparison I was in that forum what people like Shlupquack and her ilk are in this forum.

The different types of seniority one can be in a community shouldn't stop me from joining new forums. I don't expect similar seniority just as I don't walk up to strangers and expect to be able to act like PG there and get away with it.

Levian
11-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I've tried joining other forums and try to fit in or whatever. Something I've noticed is that a lot of forums seems to have more jerkish attitude, especially towards newer members. I don't know if their jerks attract other jerks or if it's because the staff there are more lenient on stuff like that, or maybe they're simply not around to see it, either way there's definitely jerks around that aren't being told off. That makes me indeed appreciate EoFF as the members here are very kind. :up: or they're forced to not be jerks. :mog:

That's obviously not true for all forums out there, but I've had quite a few bad experiences with that. Found some nice Zelda forums, though.

I've never belonged to one that was all "You're posting too much" crazytalk. Isn't that the whole point of a forum? I mean, nobody goes to an orgy to be a virgin, that's all I'm getting at.

I'm glad you think of EoFF as an orgy. :D

KentaRawr!
11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Gamefaqs is run by communists.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Jess
11-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I've tried to join other forums but I've always just given up and found myself back here. I can't find other forums like EoFF, really~ :jess:

Ouch!
11-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I've tried posting at other fora before, but it rarely works. My most recent venture was into a forum devoted to writing, but I was very unfamiliar with the place and the responses to my initial posts were rather underwhelming. I suppose I never really made much of an effort. I've grown comfortable here at EoFF, most likely just because of its familiarity. I wouldn't consider myself the most active member here, but at least it doesn't feel awkward just posting.

Heath
11-20-2007, 09:35 PM
I've only recently got into posting at EoFF again because I used to feel rather swamped by the large volume of posts and members and, I suppose, I don't really feel like I make much of an impact and sometimes don't really know if most people notice I actually post here. However while I still think that to a certain extent, I enjoy reading other peoples views more than I used to. I used to post mainly at small boards like FFMages (defunct) and Fool's Gold (at which I certainly don't regularly attend to any more), though now I don't mind EoFF so much.

Miriel
11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
The only other forum I visit on a regular basis is a professional photography forum. Costs $139 a year for membership. So all in all, the atmosphere is pretty different from most forums you'd find on the internet. I lurk a LOT there because the caliber of photographers who post there intimidate me. It is pretty clique-ish, and sometimes I wonder how long it would take to integrate into the community there. I've been a member for almost 2 years and integration has yet to happen. I don't mind too much at the moment though, I'm sure it'll happen eventually.

XxSephirothxX
11-20-2007, 10:19 PM
EoFF is certainly unique for having been around for so long, and it continues to grow, so it has a pretty obvious social structure set up. I've never really bothered to integrate myself into another community since joining here because it's simply too much work. The only other forum I've really been especially active in was one I and a group of friends started in high school. It was small, but fun while it lasted.

I've certainly browsed some other forums and thought people were, in general, assholes, but I'm sure that's not at all indicative of non-EoFF forums as a whole.

rubah
11-20-2007, 10:20 PM
There are forums where you can't disagree with anyone in the least; I mean we have rules against flaming and stuff here, but you can't say someone is wrong unless you preface it with about three paragraphs of apologetics.

Old Manus
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
The only decent forums are forums with no rules, or rules that nobody pays attention to.

blim
11-20-2007, 10:22 PM
eoff is the busiest forum i use but IMO not the best. Another one i use (for musicians and music lovers) is very quiet but much less strict and more friendly.

Otherwise i tend to go on other ones with the simple aim of being offensive, i had a lot of fun on a Girls Aloud forum with that although funnily i refrained from swearing as i assumed there would be a lot of young people on there and everyone swore at me.

Captain Maxx Power
11-20-2007, 10:40 PM
I don't know how much we differ from other communities. I think the main pull is the fact that we have such a large spread of newbies, regulars and extremely bitter vets that no one feels unwelcome. Unlike other ridiculous niches of the internet like 4Chan and such we're also not bogged down by (too many) inside jokes and nonsensical codes of conduct. It also helps that we're all like-minded people due to our love of the FF series, so that certainly allows us to mingle better.

But when it comes down to it, we're all here to just have fun.

41-Inches-Wide
11-21-2007, 05:25 AM
I like EOFF because I get accepted as a tranny. ilu

Vincent, Thunder God
11-21-2007, 06:52 AM
I was at FF Shrine, and the place was FULL of flaming - even the staff did it. You couldn't post a thing without having some inept verbal abuse attempt involving "n00b" or some such.

The thing is, I found many forums like that before, and I was about to give up on finding a forum with kind, accepting people until I came here.