PDA

View Full Version : HOW ironic

BarelySeeAtAll
11-21-2007, 04:50 PM
IRONYYYYY
name some things which are ironic...the only one i can ever think of/remember is
an ambulance running over someone...and killing them
wait...thought of another not very funny one...
Lady of The Sheep NOT being able to eat grass (but i can cos it will only go to my stomach,...HAHA all of those who laughed!)
shoot

Vivisteiner
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Empower criticising people for not saying anything useful in their posts is pretty ironic.

Also...

“The illiteracy level of our children are appalling.”
~ George W. Bush, 2004-01-23, Washington, D.C.

@Lady of the sheep: Thats not ironic you silly billy goat!

EDIT: Wait! Are my examples hipocrisy or irony or both? Tis quite confusing. I think they are both.

Zeldy
11-21-2007, 04:54 PM
My English teacher was telling us a few days ago how American's just don't know how to use the word 'ironic' properly, and how they just don't get British humour. There's a song callled 'Isnt it ironic?' and all the things that are mentioned ARENT ironic but are coincedences :p

I can't think of any at the top of my head, though.

Rye
11-21-2007, 05:53 PM
My English teacher was telling us a few days ago how American's just don't know how to use the word 'ironic' properly, and how they just don't get British humour. There's a song callled 'Isnt it ironic?' and all the things that are mentioned ARENT ironic but are coincedences :p

Actually, the ironic thing about what your teacher said is that Alanis Morissette is Canadian, not American. xD Americans fully acknowledge that her song isn't ironic at all.

I think the idea that I try so hard to lose weight, yet never even come close to my target weight, while people I know eat constantly and don't exercise, yet are tiny, is ironic.

Jojee
11-21-2007, 06:14 PM
I was just listening to that song yesterday :p It's like raiiiin on your wedding day~ Not ironic maybe but catchy. ^_^

Arc_Master_14
11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
How im the laziest dude everyone knows but i can kick all of there asses at practically any sport

edczxcvbnm
11-21-2007, 06:23 PM

Futurama had a running gag on that very case in their final episode of the 4th season. The robot devil kept saying things were ironic and Bender kept pointing out that it is just a coincidence.

Then at the end there was a situation where The Robot Devil asked for Leela's hand in exchange for something. What he meant was hand in marriage XD

Then bender read the definition of Irony and proclaimed that the situation was indeed a case of Irony XD

Classic :D

Vivisteiner
11-21-2007, 06:51 PM
How people always accuse me of laziness, yet I still got the best grades in my exams.

When people were talking to us about exam success they said that organisation was vital. Yet Im the most disorganised person in the world.

Madame Adequate
11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
My English teacher was telling us a few days ago how American's just don't know how to use the word 'ironic' properly, and how they just don't get British humour.

If that was true, I don't think Americans would love Monty Python as much as they do. Nor would The Simpsons or Futurama have ever been half the success they were.

The most ironic thing I can think of is the Irony award in X360 version of BioShock. I'll spoiler it because of... well, spoilers.

At one point in the game you have to kill people for a guy named Sander Cohen, and then photograph their corpses for his 'masterpiece'. If you kill him, and photograph HIS corpse, you get the 'Irony' achievement.

Griff
11-21-2007, 07:27 PM
The most underrated member ciddie. As soon as you win you've instantly been rated higher than the other nominees.

~*~Celes~*~
11-21-2007, 07:59 PM
It's ironic when people diss LDRs because they "Never work out," yet it's coming from the same people who can't keep a boyfriend/girlfriend for more than 23 weeks xD

Breine
11-21-2007, 08:56 PM
My English teacher was telling us a few days ago how American's just don't know how to use the word 'ironic' properly, and how they just don't get British humour.

If that was true, I don't think Americans would love Monty Python as much as they do. Nor would The Simpsons or Futurama have ever been half the success they were.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that sarcasm? Or maybe not. To be honest I have kind of a hard time differencing sarcasm and irony from each other. But I do know this: There are different types of irony - one of them being tragic irony (the audience knows something the character in a movie doesn't - e.g. the killer is standing behind the door or that Juliet isn't dead when Romeo takes the poison)., another being cosmic irony (a painter going blind or a composer going deaf) and a third being situational irony (if you win the lottery and die the next day - yes, that is from the Alanis Morissette song :P). If there are more kinds of irony, someone please teach me :hat:.

Captain Maxx Power
11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
The fact I act like an egotistical maniac when in reality I'm an insecure wreck.

Cookie
11-21-2007, 10:08 PM
That England have qualification handed to them about 6000000 times and still fail to get through. :(

Vivisteiner
11-21-2007, 10:22 PM
I find it ironic that England made an amazing comeback and still lost.

I also find it ironic that I dont give a fuck anymore.

louby_4eva
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I remember being told that the only ironic thing in the ironic song is the guy stuck in the traffic jam when he's already late, but it would only be ironic if she added that he was going to a meeting about the lack of traffic in that area. I get kind of confused about irony, I think it's some sort of contradiction, it's just one of those things that I'll probably never fully understand. I think that song should really just be called, people of terrible misfortune (I think I heard that on something, can't remember) :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Araciel
11-21-2007, 10:55 PM
Freddie mercury, a man who sang the song 'Too much love will kill you' died of AIDS.

Ouch!
11-21-2007, 11:04 PM
I tell people I'm Pastafarian and worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster and they look at me like I'm crazy. They completely miss the irony.

BarelySeeAtAll
11-22-2007, 05:04 PM
I tell people I'm Pastafarian and worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster and they look at me like I'm crazy. They completely miss the irony.

i find it hilarious
also the fact that am writing this a second time...is not funny
i thought these would all make me laugh...ironic that they dont....
ironic a policeman is arrested...not really
BUT
a person working in a mad asylum going cuckoo really was a giggly one