PDA

View Full Version : Getting Yourself Things During Christmas Season

Strider
11-21-2007, 09:28 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I always feel an odd sense of guilt whenever I think about getting myself something in the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've been wanting to get a couple of CDs recently, but I've been reluctant to do so since... you know, Christmas gifts and all.

Is anyone else the same way?

Rye
11-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Not really. I got all my Christmas shopping out of the way earlier this month. Now I'm just trying to find a ton of jeans for me. :3

Roto13
11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Only if it comes down between buying something for myself and buying stuff for other people. Once I have all of my Christmas shopping done, or if I know I have enough money to make us all happy, I have no problems with spoiling myself. :P

Marshall Banana
11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
No! I just ordered a very cute coat! =O

Vincent, Thunder God
11-21-2007, 09:40 PM
My mother bought her own gifts as she got older, and I do more or less. Usually I have a list of what I want and whoever buys it for me picks at random, so I know I'll like my gifts, but I'm not sure what they'll be, especially since the lists tend to be very long. :lol:

LunarWeaver
11-21-2007, 09:43 PM
My brother and I just get something for ourselves instead of getting each other a present. That way we both get what we wanted, like a Mr. Potato Head, and not something stupid, like a Mrs. Potato Head. I don't buy presents for anyone else, so it ultimately equates to just me buying for me. I'm not selfish at all!

theundeadhero
11-21-2007, 09:48 PM
I buy myself all my best gifts, then I have no idea what to tell others to buy me for Christmas.

Vermachtnis
11-21-2007, 09:56 PM
It's a gift for me, from me that I don't have to wait to open xD.

oddler
11-21-2007, 10:15 PM
If everyone just saved the money they spent on everyone else and used it to buy themselves gifts, everyone would be much happier with the outcome! /scrooge

smittenkitten
11-21-2007, 10:33 PM
I want a kitten. :whimper:

I get stuff for me all the time during those periods. Don't feel guilty on spending money on yourself. As long as you do something nice for other people once and a while. :)

Araciel
11-21-2007, 11:08 PM
Hell fuck no. I buy myself stuff all year 'round. Why should this month be any different?

Jess
11-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I can't afford to buy myself things around this time of year. I spend all the money I get for my birthday on presents for my family and my boyfriend. It's more important to me to buy something that will make them happy rather than something for myself. :jess:

Yamaneko
11-22-2007, 12:12 AM
Making other people happy is selfish. Self-interest is noble and pure.

mooglebunni608
11-22-2007, 01:07 AM
I usually end up finding nothing for my friends and family, but always for myself. So I feel no guilt.

Levian
11-22-2007, 01:13 AM
It goes something like this:

My blank stare towards the aisle of potential items for purchase is abruptly interrupted by a human in the category "friends" poking me in the eye and asking how many hours I've been standing there. At this point they would be lucky to even witness any sign of intelligent life. After weighing every possible outcome twice, I come to the conclusion that I'm alive now, LIFE FOR THE MOMENT, SEEEEEEEEEEZ THE DAY, ya know? I mean, think of all the people on titanic who said no to dessert because they were on a diet. I bet they feel pretty dumb now. Hell, if I'm gonna freeze to death the least thing I can do for my own pleasure is to buy Super Mario Galaxy and be happy while that bitch Rose hogs the entire table.

theundeadhero
11-22-2007, 08:34 AM
xD

NeoCracker
11-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Of course I don't care.

I hardly Care about Christmas. I'll get something for Mom and Grandma, but thats just because they are into it and it makes them feel good.

I don't see the point in making a day out of the year to give people something. People say its the spirit of giving, but to me it kills that very spirit. Its much more meaningful to get someone a gift because you want to get it for them and you want to make them feel good, not because it's Christmas.

This seemed as good of time as any for my yearly anti-Christmas Rant. As you were.

Jojee
11-22-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't give out many presents for Christmas and don't receive many :p In high school my friends and I exchanged presents, but we don't really anymore. I shop for my parents and brother sometimes, but last year I didn't even do that. xD I think last year I bought some small things for a couple friends and then present for my boyfriend and that was it.

It's kinda nice though because my parents' friends for some reason never know what to get my parents so a lot of times they end up getting their kids (meaning my brother and I) something instead, and my parents do the same XD Silly Chinese people.

Ouch!
11-22-2007, 10:44 AM
More often than not, I get Christmas gifts which the giving party thinks are "cool" or "interesting" which I have no use for. I mean seriously. What use does a fifteen-year-old have for a bird feeder, really?

Anyway, these days I ask for money. I mean, really, everyone can get me a bunch of little things I have absolutely no need for whatsoever, or they can give me the cash equivalent which can be pooled to buy something I actually want but would be too expensive to request from a single person. It'll save me the trouble of returning everything.

P.S. I totally plan to take that money to Circuit City the next day and go TV shopping with their massive sales.

Loony BoB
11-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I don't see the problem. I buy things for myself when I need to buy things for myself. I might feel a bit guilty if I didn't buy things for anyone else and still bought things for myself, but if I was getting things for others then it's fine.

Breine
11-22-2007, 12:53 PM
It's the same with me. Every damn year. It's actually really annoying, because there are many times where I have stopped myself from buying something (e.g. a movie or a CD) that I really wanted just because I felt bad, and my mother's blaming voice always pops up in my head saying: "You should put that on youre wish list instead!". :eep:

Rye
11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
It goes something like this:

My blank stare towards the aisle of potential items for purchase is abruptly interrupted by a human in the category "friends" poking me in the eye and asking how many hours I've been standing there. At this point they would be lucky to even witness any sign of intelligent life. After weighing every possible outcome twice, I come to the conclusion that I'm alive now, LIFE FOR THE MOMENT, SEEEEEEEEEEZ THE DAY, ya know? I mean, think of all the people on titanic who said no to dessert because they were on a diet. I bet they feel pretty dumb now. Hell, if I'm gonna freeze to death the least thing I can do for my own pleasure is to buy Super Mario Galaxy and be happy while that bitch Rose hogs the entire table.

Oh my god. xDDD

Jessweeee♪
11-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm getting the Phoenix Wright game if it kills me o_o

...also I can't put games on my wishlist, especially Final Fantasy games, because no one in my family knows roman numerals.