PDA

View Full Version : Wow Detox

~*~Celes~*~
11-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, there are two parts to this post, really. Alan has become an addict of WoW, though not as severe as the ones on this site: WoW Detox - The Detox center for your World of Warcraft Addiction! (http://www.wowdetox.com) It's kind of sad to me, to read some of their stories...

Anyway, who here plays it? Is it as fun as everyone makes it out to be? What kinds of things draw you to the game the most?

Lawr
11-22-2007, 12:18 PM
I used to play this game. I can see why some people can get addicted, well, lots of people, but I didn't get addicted. I think I was drawn to the easiness of the game and the atmosphere.

KoShiatar
11-22-2007, 12:23 PM
I always refused to play WoW not for fear that I would get addicted to it, but because if I liked the game, it would take even more time away from my already poor social life and my constructive hobbies, such as painting. What's WoW going to give you once you've stopped forever playing it? FF games gave me stories, music and characters I love, but what would WoW give me that would make me better?

Lawr
11-22-2007, 01:05 PM
The same experience as a forum, only you can kill things.

KoShiatar
11-22-2007, 01:16 PM
I actually think that these forums are much funnier than any MMORPG I've tried so far. And they are more brain-stimulating.

~*~Celes~*~
11-22-2007, 02:28 PM
it's funny 'cause it's true :p

I kind of want to at least try WoW but I need a motivation. I think I'm just gonna stick with Diablo 2 instead.

Mongotha
11-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I bought a 14 day trial of WoW for 2 dollars and put a good 4 or 5 hours into it before I decided I wasn't having fun. I guess I'm impervious to WoW addiction. I suppose I could try putting more time into it but I'm just too damn lazy. Besides, there's better things to do with my time. Like composing.

Bunny
11-23-2007, 06:59 AM
I always refused to play WoW not for fear that I would get addicted to it, but because if I liked the game, it would take even more time away from my already poor social life and my constructive hobbies, such as painting. What's WoW going to give you once you've stopped forever playing it? FF games gave me stories, music and characters I love, but what would WoW give me that would make me better?

Um, the same exact thing? You don't have to look that hard to see the story behind World of Warcraft. The only difference is that the story is incredibly open ended as compared to the completely linear Final Fantasy. The lore behind it is almost as good as an excellent book.

Aside from the above, the thing that draws me to the game is the strategy behind each raid encounter and the difficulty in successfully applying that strategy in order to make it work. You have 24 other people that you must rely on in order to get things done and, more often than not, if one or two people mess up, the entire thing is going to end horribly. Also interacting with a different assortment of people is fairly enjoyable.

I don't so much enjoy the leveling portion of it, but sometimes it can be very fun. The first time through, on my mage, I missed a lot of stuff. A lot. Going through on my druid I am finding a bunch of goodies that I never picked up on.

Also killing retarded people or watching retarded people get killed. That is fun too. Nothing like seeing an idiot horde gank you in the middle of town only to get his ass handed to him several times by surrounding alliance/town guards. Idiots.

I do not understand how people can get addicted to anything, much less World of Warcraft. Sure, it is a very enjoyable game and it helps pass the time, but to become so enamored with it that you stop doing anything else in your life? That is just silly. I spend a great deal of my time playing the game, sure, but I still have a full-time job and a very successful relationship, it isn't that hard to balance all three. I guess some people are just too stupid to get that.

Momiji
11-23-2007, 07:05 AM
My friend needs WoW Detox. I miss her. ;-;

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-23-2007, 07:30 AM
If I were to play a paid MMO, it'd probably be WoW, the story and such appeal to me.

Be that as it may, I'm reminded of the monkey with button experiment that some dude at Blizzard apparently quoted awhile back.

If you rig a button to dispense a treat when pressed, a monkey will push it for awhile before getting bored and walking away.

If you rig a button to dispense a treat every 5 presses, the monkey will push it for even longer, but will eventually get bored and walk away.

If you rig the button to have a 5% chance to dispense a treat whenever it is pushed, the monkey will press the button for HOURS.

Captain Maxx Power
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I usually play about a couple of hours a day. I'm nowhere near addicted compared to some people. Personally I'm more addicted to web browsing and gather useless pop culture trivia. :cool:

ReloadPsi
11-23-2007, 10:48 AM
The severe addiction that happens to MMORPG players has always struck me as extremely pathetic, but I guess when you're paying constantly to play the same game you wanna get your money's worth. I still laugh knowing that Final Fantasy 7, my favourite game of all time, has cost me about 35 pence per month, a value that drops constantly.