PDA

View Full Version : Help with portable HD

nik0tine
11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a portable hard drive and it usually works fine. However, if I change which computer i have it hooked up to, and then bring it back to the origional PC the drive letter has changed. This isn't a problem except for that it leaves one music making program i use innaccessible. Is there any way I can keep the drive letter static, or perhpas manually change it back to the letter I want? It should be my J drive but now it's my H.

rubah
11-22-2007, 09:49 PM
did you have something else plugged into your first pc that was H before?

o_O
11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Do you have another device using J: when the letter changes, like a flash drive? Also, when you remove the external drive, do you safely remove the hardware by using the safely remove hardware icon on the taskbar? You should do that if you want to keep drive letters necessarily static. The reason is that safely removing hardware lets the OS know that the device is no longer present - without doing it Windows has no way of knowing is the device has simply become unresponsive.

If there isn't another device using J as its drive letter and you always safely unmount the drive, try this command from a command prompt (Start > Run > "cmd"):
subst j: h:\

Baloki
11-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Why not set it a permanent drive letter? Get the driver recognized, then right-click My Computer and go to Manage, then go to Disk Management, right-click the drive in the list at the bottom and set it a drive letter, this letter should always be used by Windows when the device is picked up.