PDA

View Full Version : One Console To Rule Them All?

Araciel
11-23-2007, 04:56 AM
Games > EA calls for one world, one console News (http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/81/news/ea-calls-for-one-world--one-console-90ec81.html)

So, what do you think of this? Would it be better if there were only one kind of hardware, or do you think there should still be competition?

SeeDRankLou
11-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Well on the one hand, those with monopoly all to often abuse their monopoly and overprice their stuff. So they could overprice all they wanted.

On the other hand, there would only be one console. So even if it were, say $800, it would only be the one. So I wouldn't have to buy an X-Box360, a Wii, a PS3 and all their accessories so that I can play all the console games that I want. And I would be able to play all of the games that were offered, and there would still be multiple game makers so game prices would stay down.

Don't know what I think, but I think an ideal situation would be just two consoles existing. Monopoly wouldn't happen, but I'd only have to buy two consoles at a time.

Mr Cactuar
11-23-2007, 06:35 AM
[!]You see, EA is sucking my balls. The E, right here, is just suckin on my left ball and the A is sucking on the right one.[/!]<What.>

But seriously, it's EA. What do they make that's actually any good, really?

And Microsoft leaving the games industry is just stupid. They have a firm position in America and their sales are fine. The only company I can see possibly leaving is Sony.

Edit by Kishi: That's awful.

The Ceej
11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
If anyone should leave the market, it should be Nintendo. Nintendo said they'd stop making consoles and focus on games when their Gamecube flopped. Then it flopped and they said, "Well, nevermind what we said, we'll make the Gamecube again with a wavey stick and call it the Wii." I was looking forward to Zelda games on my PS2, but they had to go back on their word. It's a shame. Nintendo used to be good.

demondude
11-23-2007, 09:15 AM
If anyone should leave the market, it should be Nintendo. Nintendo said they'd stop making consoles and focus on games when their Gamecube flopped. Then it flopped and they said, "Well, nevermind what we said, we'll make the Gamecube again with a wavey stick and call it the Wii." I was looking forward to Zelda games on my PS2, but they had to go back on their word. It's a shame. Nintendo used to be good.

And they still are this "wavey stick" is brilliant and with games like Mario galaxy out now and smash brawl coming out soon the wii is doing very well.

NeoCracker
11-23-2007, 09:25 AM
1) When did Nintendo ever say they planned to stop with consoles if the Gamecube Flopped?

2) The Game Cube never Flopped anyway. It wasn't nearly as big as PS2, but they still got good sales and made noteable profits. It doesn't take much to realize they had good sales even without the Chart. Just look at how many Smash Brothers Fanatics there are out there who love to play Melee.

Loony BoB
11-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Competition is always healthy. However, I do think that more games should be released on multiple platforms. I think there is a problem in that players aer being forced to shell out hundreds just to get 2+ consoles in order to play all the games they want. This problem would be solved if every game was released on every platform. You could just pick your hardware and be done with it.

KentaRawr!
11-23-2007, 12:08 PM
A monopoly on the industry would result in legal issues in the U.S. Just figured I'd throw that out there.

For developers, though, it would be great. They wouldn't have to worry about releasing a game that caters to a certain crowd for a certain system, and they wouldn't have to make predictions on who is going to win what system war, or who the majority supports and so forth.

But, on the other hand, without competition, why would the system itself advance? The only people they'd be competing with would be consumers, needing to improve whenever they drop in popularity. Whereas with competition, it's a game of fast retaliation when compared to a game of 1-Player Monopoly.

Also, to whomever said the Gamecube flopped, you are silly. :tongue:

Roto13
11-23-2007, 05:46 PM
If the Gamecube flopped, the Xbox caused a new chernobyl incident. The Gamecube made money for Nintendo. The Xbox lost money for Microsoft. Lots of money.

The Ceej
11-23-2007, 09:53 PM
1) When did Nintendo ever say they planned to stop with consoles if the Gamecube Flopped?

The guy at Gamestop told me this right before Gamecube came out. He said, "Nintendo says they're giving one more shot at a system. If this flops, they say they're going to do what Sega did and work on games only as that's their strong point these days anyway." I know I shouldn't use quotes when it's a paraphrase, but you get the point. If Nintendo never said that, then Gamestop is not reliable.

f f freak
11-23-2007, 10:01 PM

The guy at Gamestop told me this right before Gamecube came out. He said, "Nintendo says they're giving one more shot at a system. If this flops, they say they're going to do what Sega did and work on games only as that's their strong point these days anyway." I know I shouldn't use quotes when it's a paraphrase, but you get the point. If Nintendo never said that, then Gamestop is not reliable.

Right some guy at Gamestop said it. God you are all so stupid. Some random guy told him that Nintendo were gonna stop making consoles if the Gamecube flopped. It must be true. :rolleyes2

Rostum
11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Since when does anyone actually listen to the guys at Gamestop and EB Games any more? Hell, they have been so unreliable in information since I started visiting them before FFVIII came out.

God you are all so stupid.

Woah, that was a bit uncalled for... No need for that. >.>;

Discord
11-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I would actually be in favour of having only one console, i.e. the PC. I just wish the companies responsible for building its components would work a bit tighter with the guys who write the software for them.

NeoCracker
11-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Um, Gamestop "Isn't'" that relaible on such information. They will have release dates for games before a dates actually been announced.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-24-2007, 01:11 AM
God you are all so stupid. Woah, that was a bit uncalled for... No need for that. >.>;Quite right. F F Freak, it is recommended that you maintain basic civility even in casual discussions; you'll be on your way out of here otherwise.

Mr Cactuar
11-24-2007, 01:43 AM
If the Gamecube flopped, the Xbox caused a new chernobyl incident. The Gamecube made money for Nintendo. The Xbox lost money for Microsoft. Lots of money.

Xbox only sold like 10 million more then the Gamecube at most. If I remember it was PS2 120M, Xbox 30M and Gamecube 23M.

The Ceej
11-24-2007, 02:02 AM
If Gamestop is unreliable, they have no business in the gaming industry. I insist they either become reliable or get out.

NeoCracker
11-24-2007, 02:05 AM
But then where would I get my games?

Are you trying to ruin me?

Roto13
11-24-2007, 04:24 AM
If Gamestop is unreliable, they have no business in the gaming industry. I insist they either become reliable or get out.

I'll let them know.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-24-2007, 04:43 AM
Hey if it means more people get to play great exclusive games, I'm all for it.

demondude
11-24-2007, 10:39 AM

It was one guy stop being so naive.

f f freak
11-24-2007, 02:44 PM
God you are all so stupid. Woah, that was a bit uncalled for... No need for that. >.>;Quite right. F F Freak, it is recommended that you maintain basic civility even in casual discussions; you'll be on your way out of here otherwise.

Wow. Some people really need to learn to detect sarcasm.

KentaRawr!
11-24-2007, 02:55 PM
I apologize. We didn't realize that your sarcastic statement was NOT the following:

Right some guy at Gamestop said it.

And, in fact, was the following statement:

God you are all so stupid.

Essentially meaning, it is true because a guy at Gamestop said it, and we are all geniuses for believing that.

As for how much the Gamecube sold when compared to the X-Box, I doubt it was as far as in the millions of difference, but I do know there's some kind of record-keeping site of Video Game sales, but I forget the site name at the moment. Does anyone happen to have the link?

The Ceej
11-24-2007, 05:33 PM

It was one guy stop being so naive.

Hey, I paraphrased the one guy at Gamestop, and then I was told Gamestop is unreliable. I wasn't told that one guy is unreliable. If that were the case, he should be fired. However, if what everyone is saying is true, Gamestop has a history of this kind of crap. Therefore, it is not just one guy. It is the entire company.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey, let's all cool down children. Don't make me separate you.

And by that I mean you all know we don't tolerate dickish behavior here. Don't do it.

ReloadPsi
11-24-2007, 09:06 PM
The GameCube didn't flop in the typical sense. It's just been Nintendo's least successful console to date when compared with the NES, SNES and N64. Portables notwithstanding anyway (Virtual Boy...)

(Warning: Long rant about why I don't play next generation consoles ahead. If my views offend you, click here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/yourethereason.jpg))

The Wii is selling too much and Nintendo allegedly can't keep up with the demand, but personally I don't even think it's very good: The controller simply doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. Take the boxing in Wii Sports for instance: You're supposed to lunge it forward to make your character punch. Okay, fair enough, but sometimes it's too slow and your characte will keep moving his defenses about. Sometimes it's too bloody quick and the game will ignore it! You know how to guarantee a successful punch every time? Make a motion as if you're knocking on someone's front door. I beat every fight in like ten seconds doing that, and I offer this as a tip to anyone playing a Wii game requiring you to "punch" with the remote.

The XBox 360 allegedly overheats like crazy (according to a friend of mine anyways) and Microsoft have spent a ton of money admitting they were all defective (according to several news articles at the time) and needed to be fixed or whatever all that bullskulls was about.

The PS3 had an absolutely horrible launch but appears to be getting to its feet. Nevertheless, I'm gonna spend the rest of my life mocking the Giant Enemy Crab press conference where they all sounded like they'd never played a single video game in their lives (newsflash dumbasses: DOOM had "realtime" weapon switching back in 1993... ever push the number keys?), Sony Defense Force (especially the ones who got tattoos, the retards) and the Cousin Pete viral campaign... one of my friends has a PSP and I regularly accuse him of buying it because Cousin Pete convinced him to ^^

Each of the consoles, however, appears to have gotten past their very poor births; I hear the Red Ring Of Death is a thing of the past (if you shell out extra cash for a cooling system, supposedly), the PS3 finally costs a less ridiculous price and actually has some frickin' games, and the Wii... uh, the Wii's gonna do something I suppose. Nevertheless, 7 has certainly not been a lucky number for this generation (it's the 7th generation for those who didn't know) but now they're all showing genuine promise.

Despite all that, I'm not interested in next generation gaming anymore. It's turned into a total farce, and the fans are as petty as ever (though not as much as when they insisted that the PSX was a 64-bit machine, that really was pathetic), all ripping at each other's throats trying to be more right than one another. This whole immature "only like one console" that's put into their heads when they're younger and play their first console just blossoms (sorry, festers) into adult fanboyism and at times they're more annoying than I was when I was 13 and played Final Fantasy VII for the first time. It's true what they say: Fanboys (and fangirls) ruin everything.

Consolidating all gaming onto a single system is as easy as making PCs easier to use and cheaper to upgrade. The console market has become a big joke, but that's the side effect of having laws that make it mandatory to have competition. So retarded.

P.S. People accuse me of being "jealous", but last time I looked that required a great deal of giving a toss about item in question...

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Competition is always healthy. However, I do think that more games should be released on multiple platforms. I think there is a problem in that players aer being forced to shell out hundreds just to get 2+ consoles in order to play all the games they want. This problem would be solved if every game was released on every platform. You could just pick your hardware and be done with it.

I disagree with that. They could have all th three platforms eventhough I really only want to and keep the industry with with more exclusives because with all the ones we're losing now it's hard to decide which platform to get. I think it would really be better if all the three companies came together to build a single console so get one console that has the power of all three and you can get all the games just for that one console.

Griff
11-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Whenever there is no competition for a company the industry as a whole creates lower quality products.

Case and point; professional wrestling. Back in the late 90's wrestling was more popular than Jesus., there were 3 major companies competing for viewers and they all put out good broadcasts as a result. But in 2001 the WWF (now known as WWE) bought both WCW and ECW and merged the top 3 companies into one supercompany. Now professional wrestling is the butt of everyone's jokes in the entertainment industry because it lost popularity after WWE realized that they no longer had to compete for viewers and ended up getting lazy in their production values.

If the 3 major consoles merged the same thing would eventually happen. They would experience a big boost at the beginning but eventually Ninsonysoft would start putting out lower quality consoles or possibly stop putting out consoles altogether because they would have no one to compete with.

Competition is essesntial in any industry because it forces companies to constantly create better products.

NeoCracker
11-25-2007, 10:41 PM
Whenever there is no competition for a company the industry as a whole creates lower quality products.

Case and point; professional wrestling. Back in the late 90's wrestling was more popular than Jesus., there were 3 major companies competing for viewers and they all put out good broadcasts as a result. But in 2001 the WWF (now known as WWE) bought both WCW and ECW and merged the top 3 companies into one supercompany. Now professional wrestling is the butt of everyone's jokes in the entertainment industry because it lost popularity after WWE realized that they no longer had to compete for viewers and ended up getting lazy in their production values.

If the 3 major consoles merged the same thing would eventually happen. They would experience a big boost at the beginning but eventually Ninsonysoft would start putting out lower quality consoles or possibly stop putting out consoles altogether because they would have no one to compete with.

Competition is essesntial in any industry because it forces companies to constantly create better products.

YAY Griff!

Lawr
11-25-2007, 11:12 PM
The GameCube didn't flop in the typical sense. It's just been Nintendo's least successful console to date when compared with the NES, SNES and N64. Portables notwithstanding anyway (Virtual Boy...)

(Warning: Long rant about why I don't play next generation consoles ahead. If my views offend you, click here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/diehure/yourethereason.jpg))

The Wii is selling too much and Nintendo allegedly can't keep up with the demand, but personally I don't even think it's very good: The controller simply doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. Take the boxing in Wii Sports for instance: You're supposed to lunge it forward to make your character punch. Okay, fair enough, but sometimes it's too slow and your characte will keep moving his defenses about. Sometimes it's too bloody quick and the game will ignore it! You know how to guarantee a successful punch every time? Make a motion as if you're knocking on someone's front door. I beat every fight in like ten seconds doing that, and I offer this as a tip to anyone playing a Wii game requiring you to "punch" with the remote.

The XBox 360 allegedly overheats like crazy (according to a friend of mine anyways) and Microsoft have spent a ton of money admitting they were all defective (according to several news articles at the time) and needed to be fixed or whatever all that bullskulls was about.

The PS3 had an absolutely horrible launch but appears to be getting to its feet. Nevertheless, I'm gonna spend the rest of my life mocking the Giant Enemy Crab press conference where they all sounded like they'd never played a single video game in their lives (newsflash dumbasses: DOOM had "realtime" weapon switching back in 1993... ever push the number keys?), Sony Defense Force (especially the ones who got tattoos, the retards) and the Cousin Pete viral campaign... one of my friends has a PSP and I regularly accuse him of buying it because Cousin Pete convinced him to ^^

Each of the consoles, however, appears to have gotten past their very poor births; I hear the Red Ring Of Death is a thing of the past (if you shell out extra cash for a cooling system, supposedly), the PS3 finally costs a less ridiculous price and actually has some frickin' games, and the Wii... uh, the Wii's gonna do something I suppose. Nevertheless, 7 has certainly not been a lucky number for this generation (it's the 7th generation for those who didn't know) but now they're all showing genuine promise.

Despite all that, I'm not interested in next generation gaming anymore. It's turned into a total farce, and the fans are as petty as ever (though not as much as when they insisted that the PSX was a 64-bit machine, that really was pathetic), all ripping at each other's throats trying to be more right than one another. This whole immature "only like one console" that's put into their heads when they're younger and play their first console just blossoms (sorry, festers) into adult fanboyism and at times they're more annoying than I was when I was 13 and played Final Fantasy VII for the first time. It's true what they say: Fanboys (and fangirls) ruin everything.

Consolidating all gaming onto a single system is as easy as making PCs easier to use and cheaper to upgrade. The console market has become a big joke, but that's the side effect of having laws that make it mandatory to have competition. So retarded.

P.S. People accuse me of being "jealous", but last time I looked that required a great deal of giving a toss about item in question...

I was listening to Golbez's theme when I read this. Well said my good man.

edczxcvbnm
11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

It is a minimum wage job. What the fuck do you expect from someone who more than most likely has a part time job?

I would also like to see Sony drop out of the console market but I still want two consoles because competition is good but this much competition hurts my wallet D:

Roto13
11-26-2007, 08:29 PM
I'd rather see Microsoft drop out of the market with their :skull::skull::skull::skull:ty hardware.

edczxcvbnm
11-26-2007, 09:06 PM
You mean like Sony with the PS2 and the PSone? The 360 might not be solid but the original was for the most part. PS2 and the PSOne both had big problems and design flaws as well.

Roto13
11-26-2007, 09:11 PM
That's true. Those flaws were fixed, though. And even those weren't nearly as serious as the three red lights. Every 360 in the world is defective. That's insane.

Monol
11-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Boo 360! Go super nes! *hides*