PDA

View Full Version : Overrated weapons/characters/specials in gameplay terms

ReloadPsi
11-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, you heard me, overrated weapons/characters/specials in gameplay terms: Basically name all the crappy, useless things in video games that everyone seems to love for some unknown reason.

Freezethrower - Weapon in Duke Nukem 3D (Various)
This weapon sucks. If you miss, the shots bounce around and hurt you and if you're fighting more than one enemy at a time it's pretty much worthless as you have to run around trying to get Duke to automatically kick them. It's a nice novelty for taking out a single enemy standing in front of you when you have a clear shot, and it also serves as a decent enough rapid fire weapon for use on bosses when your other decent guns run out (I killed The Queen with it :p), but other than that I just don't bother.

D5K Deutsche - Weapon in GoldenEye 007 (N64)
A subpar machine gun that makes too much noise, does the same damage as all the other normal assault rifles (in other words, not the P90 or the AR33) and doesn't even have a zoom function. At least the ZMG has a faster firing rate. Skip this piece of crap. (The Klobb is obviously worse, but everyone knows that thing fires drawing pins so it's irrelevant to the topic)

Black Mage - Class in FF games in general
Yeah, you knew this was coming. They were good in FFT (maybe FFTA too but I don't play it) but that's it. Moving swiftly along...

Yang - Character in Final Fantasy IV - FFII on the SN- wait, bugger it. If you're still not using the Japanese numbers, which have been in official use in the US for the last eight years then you shouldn't be breathing... in Europe they've never NOT been the Japanese numbers, how about that?)
He takes hits like a schoolgirl, takes forever to act when you give him a command (a character issued with a command after he is will often go first) and doesn't really seem to do exceptional damage at all.

Chaingun - Weapon in DOOM and DOOM II
Inaccurate, doesn't do much damage, the only saving grace is that it's a bullet weapon so it won't be dodged like the Plasma Rifle. DOOM3 seemed to upgrade it, but now it just runs out of ammo fast and needs constant reloading.

Dias Flac - Character in Star Ocean 2
Is it just me or does his basic physical attack miss all the time? At least his Air Slash is faster than Claude's, but Claude has Dragon Howl and Mirror Slice later on, plus he's meant to be a melee character.

Mario - Character in Super Mario Bros 2 (Super Mario USA in Japan)
He's a bit slower than Toad, doesn't jump as high as Luigi, and can't float like the Princess.

Luigi - Character in Super Mario Bros Lost Levels (SMB2 in Japan)
He jumps higher but when he lands he'll just slide off the platform. Even though he seems like the obvious choice, the game's easier with Mario.

I'll post some more as I think of them, but for now does anyone have any to share?

Roto13
11-24-2007, 10:50 PM
Black mages are awesome once you set them up with nifty skills like doublecast or MP Turbo. Now I want to nuke you in FFTA with my clan with two black mages. :P

Cloud in FFT. He starts off, like, 40 levels lower than the rest of your party and his overlimits are way too hard to get/use.

ReloadPsi
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Black mages are awesome once you set them up with nifty skills like doublecast or MP Turbo. Now I want to nuke you in FFTA with my clan with two black mages. :P

Cloud in FFT. He starts off, like, 40 levels lower than the rest of your party and his overlimits are way too hard to get/use.

FFT and its spinoffs are where Black Mages genuinely shine. (Goes back and edits post to reflect this.)

Discord
11-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Guild Wars: Necromancers with 20 minions in PvP.
Deus Ex 2: Sniper-rifle with silencer.
Minesweeper: Ability to restart.

Big D
11-24-2007, 11:31 PM
NIKITA remote-controlled missiles in Metal Gear Solid and MGS2.

These gadgets are a hell of a lot of fun. They're an absolute blast, especially since they can be flown around in first-person view, but they're exceptionally impractical as actual weapons. The projectile is very slow, and there's no pitch control, so avoiding the terrain can be a problem. They're only essential to solving one puzzle, and due to creative laziness the reality-bending parallels and illusions in MGS2, it's exactly the same puzzle in both games.

Really, I find these weapons handy for just two things:

1) Beating Sniper Wolf the cheap, easy and safe way in MGS

2) Using the launcher as a melee weapon for one-hit KOs in MGS2.

Heath
11-24-2007, 11:34 PM
I always liked the D5K Deutsche. Not because it was a good weapon or anything, just liked how it looked and the sound it made. Proper threatening weapon and the silenced version is alright too. The Klobb was, naturally, brilliant though.

I always found Matthew from Fire Emblem to be slightly overrated. He's a decent enough character, but I much prefer using Legault myself.

blackmage_nuke
11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
1) Beating Sniper Wolf the cheap, easy and safe way in MGS
And even then the Stinger missiles work better.

Evastio
11-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Well there's Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, the Master Sword, the Triforce, Vaati, and anything that's Legend of Zelda related.

Honestly, all Nintendo game series have way more people hating them than liking them except for the Zelda series. Even if people think that they're much better than all the other Nintendo game series that doesn't make it okay for them to adore the Zelda series and abhor all other Nintendo related games. That's why I hate the Zelda series so much. I abhor it more for its overratedness than for the actual game itself. Yeah, I know Mario and Pokemon are also overrated but there's way more people hating them than Zelda.

Rengori
11-25-2007, 01:46 AM
I found Flonne to be a useless character in battle in Disgaea. She can heal and stuff, but healers are much better for that.

Spammerman
11-25-2007, 03:27 AM
Auron- Hes a dead drunk. So what. Whats worse, is that he can be knocked out, and hes already dead.

Azure Chrysanthemum
11-25-2007, 03:30 AM
I found Flonne to be a useless character in battle in Disgaea. She can heal and stuff, but healers are much better for that.

Not to mention she can't fight in the last battle.

Ideally, you'll have Flonne tutor a caster and learn every spell in the game. I think her base statlines are higher so she'll overall be better than a normal caster at that kind of hting.

Mr Cactuar
11-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Well there's Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, the Master Sword, the Triforce, Vaati, and anything that's Legend of Zelda related.

Honestly, all Nintendo game series have way more people hating them than liking them except for the Zelda series. Even if people think that they're much better than all the other Nintendo game series that doesn't make it okay for them to adore the Zelda series and abhor all other Nintendo related games. That's why I hate the Zelda series so much. I abhor it more for its overratedness than for the actual game itself. Yeah, I know Mario and Pokemon are also overrated but there's way more people hating them than Zelda.

What are you talking about? There's way more people that like Mario and Pokemon then there is Zelda and waaaaay more people that like it then there are that 'hate' it. That's just silly.

The ray-gun-thing in F.E.A.R, you know the one that skeletises them. The shotgun is so much more cooler.

Markus. D
11-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Guild Wars: Thinking it's trendy to hate on Touch Rangers~

Vincent, Thunder God
11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
The Brute Shot in Halo 2, or the "Grape Shooter" as me and my friends have come to call it. Incredibly powerful in single player (literally a 1-2 shot KO) it is severely downgraded in multiplayer, for pointless reasons only known to Bungie. I've literally expended about 20 grenades trying to take out a friend, while he just shoots me down with rapid-fire or whips out a shotgun to be done with it. Why Bungie, why? :confused:

Shoeberto
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
The AWP in CS. Any good CS player knows what I'm talking about. Anyone who tries to defend it is a noob.

Skyblade
11-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Double Sword in FFTA - Unlike it's FFT incarnation, Double Sword in FFTA only affects normal attacks, no abilities. So Reflex/Strikeback makes it totally useless, and Reflex is a fairly popular enemy ability. Concentrate is far more useful, since it affects all of your abilities, including status effect abilities.

Geitz in Fire Emblem - General Wallace is far better than Geitz. He can be promoted at 20 (if you play Hard mode), gaining more stats, and you already have two better Warriors: Dorcas and Bartre. Lots of people suggest getting Geitz, but I find Wallace almost always is better. Movement's a little poor, but since he can take on whole armies on his own, I don't really care.

Madame Adequate
11-26-2007, 12:36 AM
The Brute Shot in the Halo series, or the "Grape Shooter" as me and my friends have come to call it. Incredibly powerful in single player (literally a 1-2 shot KO) it is severely downgraded in multiplayer, for pointless reasons only known to Bungie. I've literally expended about 20 grenades trying to take out a friend, while he just shoots me down with rapid-fire or whips out a shotgun to be done with it. Why Bungie, why? :confused:

True in Halo 2. Untrue in Halo 3, where it is actually a useful weapon in multiplayer.

DK
11-26-2007, 01:03 AM
Works well enough for me when I use it the same way you use a Mauler, run up, blast+melee = dead, only the Brute shot is useful from long range too.

Fatal Impurity
11-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Gravity Hammer in Halo 3

I mean seriously that thing is incredibly stupidly overpowered in the fact that even on the slightest chance it doesnt kill you then you will most likely end up 20 feet outside the level falling to your death.

But then comes its weakness...range.

Anyone with a weapon with the range of an Assault Rifle or higher can destroy a hammer user.

Problem is these Hammer users are crafty bastards and seem to be hiding/camping (possibly even with a powerup making your chances of survival ZERO) behind every possible corner just like mauler users...:'(

BUNGIE MAKE HALO FUN AGAIN!

Rengori
11-26-2007, 01:39 AM

Not to mention she can't fight in the last battle.

Ideally, you'll have Flonne tutor a caster and learn every spell in the game. I think her base statlines are higher so she'll overall be better than a normal caster at that kind of hting.

In the time you can have her learn all of those spells you could probably put a few levels on those mages.

Goldenboko
11-26-2007, 02:47 AM
The Brute Shot in the Halo series, or the "Grape Shooter" as me and my friends have come to call it. Incredibly powerful in single player (literally a 1-2 shot KO) it is severely downgraded in multiplayer, for pointless reasons only known to Bungie. I've literally expended about 20 grenades trying to take out a friend, while he just shoots me down with rapid-fire or whips out a shotgun to be done with it. Why Bungie, why? :confused:

What? God how do you shot it? I crush people before they even know what's coming with that thing.

Laddy
11-26-2007, 03:11 AM
Seven Warriors and One Healer in Guild Wars. :p

escobert
11-26-2007, 05:02 AM
No no, 4 assassins and 1 monk. that was horrid. I think we had a necro ele and war with us. I had the worst time healing, thank god I was using my healers boon spam heal party.

Markus. D
11-26-2007, 05:16 AM
Yah! I love that l33t >_<!

But seriously, Warriors are the worst thing in GW anyway.

Okay, I'll stop talking about GW and think of something I think is over-whatsa.

Mr Cactuar
11-26-2007, 06:20 AM
The AWP in CS. Any good CS player knows what I'm talking about. Anyone who tries to defend it is a noob.

The AWP is too overpowered though. It should be like 2 shots to kill not 1.

Discord
11-26-2007, 06:08 PM
No no, 4 assassins and 1 monk. that was horrid. I think we had a necro ele and war with us. I had the worst time healing, thank god I was using my healers boon spam heal party.

Never heard of a monk that could heal 4 Assassins. I mean, considering the fact that you can take out at least two of them in the first roll, it's barely a problem.:tongue:

PS: I play a Assassin myself.:)

Edge7
11-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Lyn from Fire Emblem "The Blazing Sword" (Fire Emblem in the U.S)
She starts the game out really good, but by the end of the game she's no where near as good as some of the other characters I leveled up. (Wil, Erk, Pricilla, Louise, Pent, Hector, Eliwood, Hawkeye, Marcus, Oswin, my favorite character being Erk). Not saying Lyn was entirely useless, I mean, I was happy when I heard she is going to appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an assist trophy.

LunarWeaver
11-26-2007, 10:50 PM
I always thought Sonic sucks and doesn't deserve his fame. By the time they got to Sonic Advance, he had so many sidekicks that he was useless rubbish and the game should have just been called Cream. Then again, I think Sonic represents the way the game is "supposed" to be played, and all his furry friends are given extra abilities to make it easier for those that need it. Except that pink one with the hammer, she licks testicles.

Brennan
11-27-2007, 02:15 AM
Cloud - :eep:

Madame Adequate
11-27-2007, 02:43 AM
I always thought Sonic sucks and doesn't deserve his fame. By the time they got to Sonic Advance, he had so many sidekicks that he was useless rubbish and the game should have just been called Cream. Then again, I think Sonic represents the way the game is "supposed" to be played, and all his furry friends are given extra abilities to make it easier for those that need it. Except that pink one with the hammer, she licks testicles.

WHAT

Sonic is AWESOME and curb stomps that greasy communist from the Nintendo camp.

escobert
11-27-2007, 02:57 AM

Never heard of a monk that could heal 4 Assassins. I mean, considering the fact that you can take out at least two of them in the first roll, it's barely a problem.:tongue:

Oh I love my assassin to death. She rocks people. but it takes a lot of practice and time to make a good assassin. I mean, I can solo underworld with her as A/E.

DK
11-27-2007, 04:20 AM
WHAT

Sonic is AWESOME and curb stomps that greasy communist from the Nintendo camp.

I swear to god every time I think I could not get gayer for you, you make me want you a little bit more.

LunarWeaver
11-27-2007, 04:46 AM
Well of course he's sexier than Mario, but not Tails :bigsmile: Milf is gonna beat me up in an alley one day. It was only in gameplay terms!

Laddy
11-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Auron(FFX), Kratos (God of War), Master Chief (Halo), and Dante(Devil May Cry) are all, in reality, crappy, unoriginal, and cliche characters.

Roto13
11-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Why do so many of you not understand the thread topic? It's overrated stuff IN GAMEPLAY TERMS. Useless items and weapons and characters. Whether or not Auron is badass is irrelevant to how useful he is as a character.

Markus. D
11-27-2007, 07:04 AM
Dante(Devil May Cry)

*smite!*

F;DJGLJSFHBLN :3

How is Dante crappy? he fits in with the tension between his brother Vergil very well. among many... many other things.

Laddy
11-27-2007, 11:40 PM
crappy
That's why.

Discord
11-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Oh I love my assassin to death. She rocks people. but it takes a lot of practice and time to make a good assassin. I mean, I can solo underworld with her as A/E.

Yes, absolutely. Assassin is a pretty hard if you want to play her well. Hehe, but it sure is fun to knock somebody down with your 1st and 3rd attack, cause bleeding and exploit it for extra damage on condition-based skills.:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Vincent, Thunder God
11-28-2007, 02:26 AM

True in Halo 2. Untrue in Halo 3, where it is actually a useful weapon in multiplayer.

Well that's good to hear, I hadn't played Halo 3 yet - *edits original post* I keep hearing a lot of good things about Halo 3 and some of them aren't just hype.

What? God how do you shot it? I crush people before they even know what's coming with that thing.

You must be speaking of the Halo 3 Brute Shot then. ;) It's true of Halo 2 though.

Fatal Impurity
11-28-2007, 02:39 AM

Well that's good to hear, I hadn't played Halo 3 yet - *edits original post* I keep hearing a lot of good things about Halo 3 and some of them aren't just hype.

You must be speaking of the Halo 3 Brute Shot then. ;) It's true of Halo 2 though.

The brute shot has always sucked...the only good thing about it in Halo 3 is that it makes it easy to blow your opponents off the side of the map.