PDA

View Full Version : Help I can't set backgrounds on my PC

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2007, 06:53 PM
I've been recently getting these internet explorer pop us always telling to install a program because it says it detects viruses and spyware in my computer I've normally ignored them, but today they got on my nerves way too often and it said it was free anyway so I ran it on my computer, but when I didn and restarted my computer my desktop background was blank and when I wnet to the display settings it wouldn't let me change the backgorund other than changing the color. It showed the list of pics I have in my pictures, but I couldn't select them. I assumed that it was because of this malware I downloaded so after a while of trying I finally uninstallled it and while I was there I uninstalled GIMP too since I don't use that anymore. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Roto13
11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Why on earth would you ever do something that adware/spyware/malware/a virus is telling you to do? o_o There's always a better solution than that.

Anyway, when you try to select a picture when changing your wallpaper, you can't, right? Do you mean you click on it and it doesn't even highlight? Also, can you change you wallpaper other ways, like from Internet Explorer?

EDIT: And what was the name of the program it had you install?

Ashley Schovitz
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
It was MalwareAlarm and no I could put the cursor over to it and click, but it won't even highlight nor the Browse choice I decided to do it because every time I close the pop up it just keeps coming back or redirects my html and take my to some adware page. I did try just setting my background from an internet pick, put that doesn't show up, but one I did see it show up after I had my screen saver on and moved the mouse it flickered once then dissapeared.

Discord
11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Congrats, you've just been caught in the piege pour les cons, i.e. you've just done something very, very stupid.

[...]According to McAfee’s SiteAdvisor, MalwareAlarm is a dangerous fake anti-spyware software and is an updated version of Malware Wiper. They tested 279 “bad” downloads from this one site.[2] The methodology is to entice the user to use a “free download” to test for spyware or malware on their PC, MalwareAlarm then displays a warning message of problems on the PC to persuade the unwary web site visitor to purchase the paid version. Along with MalwareAlarm, numerous other rogue software are linked to and hosted by the RBN.[3][...]

Install and run full scans with the following programs (preferably 2 or 3 times over all drives):

DrWeb (http://www.drweb-online.com/en/demo1.asp?rpid=) - i.e. your anti-virus that actually does find viruses. Get the demo key and install -all- extensions it'll offer you, especially the guard. If you have already used up your DrWeb demo key, try this (http://www.drweb-online.com/en/cure_it.asp?rpid=).

and

SpyBot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html) - i.e. your anti-spyware tool. I suggest also installing the TeaTimer module.

If it doesn't start working, reinstall the OS.

Roto13
11-26-2007, 02:15 AM
I decided to do it because every time I close the pop up it just keeps coming back or redirects my html and take my to some adware page.

There's ALWAYS a better way to get rid of that kind of thing. Just a virus scan or spyware scan would probably be enough to get rid of that.

ValiantKnight
11-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Bleeping Computer AntiSpyware (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic105302.html)

Smitfraud variants are renowned for impersonating Windows, and the Windows Update icon, and setting backgrounds.

I've fixed quite a few variants of this one.
Smitfraudfix does the job, make sure you get a new version of it.

Never trust popups, be skeptical of "best" "free" and other words. Smitfraud family will usually make a windows update icon identical to the real one, and have the dialog box:

"Windows has detected viruses(or malware) on your computer. These are dangerous.. blah blah... (i can't remember exactly what it says), Windows will now download the best(or most advanced) Spyware Remover, "SpySheriff Variant".

Originally the program will get itself into the computer somehow, causing a small infection, and opening up a bigger hole for the rest.
Then it puts on this false image and causes all the popup windows itself, and the false positive viruses/malware, then recommends the SpySheriff variant as the solution. When the solution is run... it removes the false positives, and I believe the system does perk back up, but still lags behind a LOT because of the buggy SpySheriff coding. SpySheriff still is spyware itself and will act like normal spyware, reporting to websites, etc....

Yet, they ask you to buy SpySheriff, and some people have actually sent in money.....

SmitFraudFix for the cure :)

*note*
You may not only have SmitFraud(SpySheriff), but you might also have other bad things in your computer. Best to also download a antispyware program, antivirus program, and post a help topic at a security website that deals with spyware.. like spyware warrior, spywareinfo, bleepingcomputer.

rubah
11-26-2007, 05:11 AM
stop using internet explorer? :p

crono_logical
11-26-2007, 08:33 AM
Reinstall Windows, you'll be done in 45 minutes on most computers :p Far quicker than antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/antirootkit scans and cleaning up :D

Discord
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Reinstall Windows, you'll be done in 45 minutes on most computers :p Far quicker than antivirus/antimalware/antispyware/antirootkit scans and cleaning up :D

Meh, that's true, but you'll have to reinstall all the software as well (alternatively spend 3 hours making new shortcuts). Good thing is, you'll have a very fast working system again.:p

ValiantKnight
11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Format/Reinstall is always best.. but that can take 90min to 10hrs depending on how many programs and how many patches you need to reload for your software.

If the computer isn't highly used for online banking, credit card shopping online, etc.... and is just used for gaming/surfing.. then cleaning it up may be an easier option.

If a friend does alot of banking/secure stuff on their computer.. I always recommend a reinstall, because these can leave backdoors and other things as well.... once your infected, you never truely know if the infection allowed someone to put something "custom" on your computer. Something that anti-products won't pick up, and something that could be a backdoor for all your information from now on, despite the system behaving normally.

Format/Reinstall will get rid of all that. Only thing that could remain if you wipe everything, is that your IP address could still be on a spyware/hacking list somewhere, and as soon as you get the internet connection working again... you'll be hit with a bombardment. A router/NAT solves this problem however.

Patch the system and keep it fully up to date.
Configure Internet Explorer more securely.. by default 6 was very unsecure.. 7 says its better.... but I dont know.
Dump Internet Explorer and grab Firefox.
Install AdBlock for firefox
Install Noscript for Firefox.

:)

Ashley Schovitz
12-06-2007, 03:09 AM
How do I reinstall everything I tried a program called Roguerunner that's supposed to get rid of Malware, but I still have the problem I'm posting now from safe mode at home since I can't do anything at all if it starts up the normal way.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Whoaaaa...what a mess :cry:

Hang in there you poor, poor computer!

ValiantKnight
12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
spywarrior, spywareinfo, bleepingcomputer.

Try some of those forums, they will ask you to download a program called HijackThis, a very useful tool for looking at startup, service, plug in, and registry entries.

They'll ask for a log, then advise you from there.

Or if you have a CD labeled "Recovery CD" or Installation CD, you can reinstall every by putting it in the computer and restarting the computer.
Then follow the on screen instructions. You will lose everything however.

Most computer vendors now include a system recovery "ghost image" so all you have to do is put it in, restart, and answer yes/etc and it will do all the work for you. If you instead have a regular "Windows" CD, then it takes a little more work and following onscreen prompts.

Hope you can find a fix.