PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IX...

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Do you think that Dragon Quest IX's storyline is gonna better Dragon Quest VIII's storyline? Because to be honest DQVIII's story kinda sucks no offense to those of you who actually like VIII's story.

Roto13
11-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Dragon Quest stories suck in general. They're not really story-based games.

chionos
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Dangit Rodo, you always preempt exactly what I want to say, so I never post, but no more! You're going down idea-thief!

I don't know why I force myself to play the Dragonquest games. VIII though was better than many of the previous games so maybe IX will continue the trend and be the best DQ yet...which still won't amount to much, the best DQ still isn't any better than the worst FF.

Bolivar
11-29-2007, 01:27 AM
I really enjoyed DQVIII, it was the first DQ I've beaten (maybe played) and I loved teh story. I sometimes talk about how older RPGs had storylines which were stories stuck inside of a video game. IMO Dragon Quest VIII took that and made it just about as good as it can be and I'm really glad I played it.

I look forward to IX and Im glad to hear it's on the DS.

Nifleheim7
11-30-2007, 02:45 AM
I'm really looking forward for this game...i have a feeling it will be one of the best (if not THE best) games on the system!

The Fat Bioware Nerd
12-01-2007, 09:31 PM
You know what? It would be really cool if Dragon Quest IX "broke" tradition by making the main character speak and giving him a personality.

Because Final Fantasy "broke" tradition by finally getting rid of the turn-based battle system.

Roto13
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Rodo

Oh, that's it.

*pulls the back of your shirt over your head and knees you in the face*

chionos
12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I told you you were going down. Over time I will undermine the fascination people hold for you, destroy your confidence and self-esteem until you crumble into dust at my feet!

How does this have anything to do with DQ? Well because the above story would be more entertaining than the slop that the DQ series usually comes up with, although I did think that the updated graphics in VIII helped the series in that it really -needs- visuals capable of rendering the stories to be seen, as the words are pointless gibberish.

Markus. D
12-02-2007, 08:27 PM
Dragon Quest stories suck in general. They're not really story-based games.

Oh what they're about new and refreshing gameplay now?

Karellen
12-03-2007, 01:05 AM
God only knows what caused Dragon Quest to take off. The games just have a certain charm to them I guess that somehow overshadows the outdated gameplay and mediocre story line. Whatever it is, those games are like heroin in video game form.

McLovin'
01-01-2008, 01:48 AM
But I LOVED DQ7 (dragon warrior 7)

Something about making a Sim town and putting the pieces of different civilizations back together was really fun and then seeing them in the present was also great.

DQ8 was linear...and strangely graphicked...

But it was fun...no comment on the final boss...

EagleDelta1
01-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Here's how I see it.

I grew up on FF and DQ. Dragon Warrior was my 1st RPG and FF came shortly after. That's probably why I really like both series. Anyway, whereas FF is heavily Story based and complex compared to DQ, to me DQ adds a certain amount of challenge that seems to disappeared from FF, while at the same time being very simple and nostalgic(for those of us that grew up on it).

On a side note, I think that the World Map style used in DQVIII was perfect - it retained the Overworld that I've heard fans of FF complaining has disappeared since FFIX, but does so in a way that REALLY immerses you in the world - the towns and castles, as well as other major landmarks, are to scale instead of miniature 3-D or Sprite versions.

Bahamut2000X
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Their making another bloody Dragon Quest already? I still haven't beat I-VIII yet. Way to go adding to my list of unfinished games Square. :cry:

Bolivar
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Here's how I see it.

I grew up on FF and DQ. Dragon Warrior was my 1st RPG and FF came shortly after. That's probably why I really like both series. Anyway, whereas FF is heavily Story based and complex compared to DQ, to me DQ adds a certain amount of challenge that seems to disappeared from FF, while at the same time being very simple and nostalgic(for those of us that grew up on it).

On a side note, I think that the World Map style used in DQVIII was perfect - it retained the Overworld that I've heard fans of FF complaining has disappeared since FFIX, but does so in a way that REALLY immerses you in the world - the towns and castles, as well as other major landmarks, are to scale instead of miniature 3-D or Sprite versions.

yep.:cool:

EagleDelta1
01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Their making another bloody Dragon Quest already? I still haven't beat I-VIII yet. Way to go adding to my list of unfinished games Square. :cry:

Your complaining about a DQIX "already" being made - the rate DQ games are made is slow compared to FF games. DQ started before FF ever came out(by like a year or two), but FF is working on it's 13th entry and DQ is only on its 9th. If anything I'd be complaining about not getting to finish other FF games before a new one comes out than the DQ games

NeoCracker
01-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Your complaining about a DQIX "already" being made - the rate DQ games are made is slow compared to FF games. DQ started before FF ever came out(by like a year or two), but FF is working on it's 13th entry and DQ is only on its 9th. If anything I'd be complaining about not getting to finish other FF games before a new one comes out than the DQ games

Don't forget about Tactics, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2 on the way, Mystic Quest, X-2, and 3 expansions for XI.

DQ only has 3 non numbered I believe. Joker, Swords, and one I can't remember.

Bahamut2000X
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Dragon Quest does have all it's Monsters games.

Either way though Dragon Quests take much longer to beat then most FF's, especially newer ones.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
DQ only has 3 non numbered I believe. Joker, Swords, and one I can't remember.There are four games in the Dragon Quest Monsters series (including Joker), four Mysterious Dungeon games starring DQIV's Torneko and DQVIII's Yangus, two games in the Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest series, "Kenshin Dragon Quest" (a system unto itself, but still a video game), and now Dragon Quest Swords.

NeoCracker
01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
DQ only has 3 non numbered I believe. Joker, Swords, and one I can't remember.There are four games in the Dragon Quest Monsters series (including Joker), four Mysterious Dungeon games starring DQIV's Torneko and DQVIII's Yangus, two games in the Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest series, "Kenshin Dragon Quest" (a system unto itself, but still a video game), and now Dragon Quest Swords.

Slightly off on my DQ Knowledge I take it.

EagleDelta1
02-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Dragon Quest does have all it's Monsters games.

Either way though Dragon Quests take much longer to beat then most FF's, especially newer ones.

You have a point, I think DQ3 on NES was nearly twice(if not more) as long as FFIII on NES and the only FF I have with nearly as many Hours as I have on DQ8 is FFX & FFXII - difference is those 2 FF games got such a high play time from the side quests, whereas I'm simply just doing the main quest of DQ8

Bahamut2000X
02-02-2008, 11:59 PM
The main thing that makes DQ longer though is just the system itself. It's slower paced everything, battles, travel, shopping. FF was a more faster paced RPG and each addition improved their systems, where as DQ still required you to open a menu for so many things (stairs, doors, search, check, talk, etc.).

Bolivar
02-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah my DQ VIII clocked in at just over 130 hours, that's beating the storyline, some side quests included, but nowhere near as much as it would take for me to build that up in FFX or XII. FF seems to be doable in about 40 hours since VII, I can do just about everything in V and VI in about 35.

Ichimonji
02-04-2008, 04:08 AM
You must have left your game on for some time. I beat DQVIII plus sidequests in like 89 hours.

Bolivar
02-14-2008, 12:11 AM
There definately were some periods where I left it on for hours at a time. But I also level grinded outside the monster town while waiting for all the best/semi-best equipments to be done cooking out of the alchemy pot, or cooking the items to get those items.

did you complete all the sidequests/best equipment?

Spuuky
02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Dragon Quest is so lovely. I just wish DQIX would come out on the PS3 rather than the DS. I can't really complain, though.

Honestly, Kishkish, who says Torneko?

Sarc the Swordsman
03-06-2008, 10:53 PM
So is it coming out for the PS2? I hope so...I won't get around to buying a PS3 until later this year. -_- Personally, I'm looking forward to a new DQ came...although I've only played the 8th in the series.

Roto13
03-07-2008, 03:51 AM
It's coming out for DS.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Honestly, Kishkish, who says Torneko?Everyone (http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/tga2usfront.jpg)?