PDA

View Full Version : Are there video games in Africa?

SuperMillionaire
11-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Are there video games in Africa?

demondude
11-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Due to the fact that there is barely any education in africa I would say no.

oddler
11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Yes. Yes, there are. :choc2:

KentaRawr!
11-27-2007, 09:31 PM
There has been industrialization there, so it wouldn't really surprise me. But I'm not exactly well versed here.

Dreddz
11-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Im sure in some parts but I'd say the majority of the country doesnt. A shame really.

Germ Hamee
11-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Yes, they have video games in Africa. -.- It's not all grass huts and starving children there. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/Maputo.jpg) If this misconception is any indication, I'd say it's the American education system that needs help.

Discord
11-28-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm sure there are at least two, thus making it a yes, there are video games in Africa. Next question!

If you don't mind me asking, why on fuck's name would you want to know? Excuse the expression.

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2007, 12:34 AM
Of course. They probably get passed over for a lot of stuff, but to think such a massive genre of media wouldn't exist at all on an entire continent? Silly.

Mr Cactuar
11-28-2007, 12:37 AM
Pretty sure there would be :-|

Roto13
11-28-2007, 01:37 AM
Only Resident Evil 5, and even then it's not much fun for them.

Anyway, yeah, they're everywhere. Like EVERYWHERE! In some places, only the richest people can afford video games, but yeah, they're all over the world. Certainly on every continent, if not in every country.

Fatal Impurity
11-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Games will go to whoever can afford them...and there is bound to be some rich enough people somewhere in Africa (especially South Africa).

Evastio
11-28-2007, 02:03 AM
Although they may not be as popular in Africa I'm sure that they have some there.

Certainly on every continent, if not in every country.
Not really. Antarctica wouldn't have any video games.

Except maybe Antarctic Adventure (http://www.gamespot.com/msx/action/antarcticadventure/index.html?tag=result;title;3).

Spammerman
11-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Only Resident Evil 5, and even then it's not much fun for them.

You win.

Madame Adequate
11-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Although they may not be as popular in Africa I'm sure that they have some there.

Certainly on every continent, if not in every country.
Not really. Antarctica wouldn't have any video games.

Except maybe Antarctic Adventure (http://www.gamespot.com/msx/action/antarcticadventure/index.html?tag=result;title;3).

I bet there's videogames at McMurdo. Hell, probably most of the bases. Antarctica doesn't allow for much physical activity, so I wager they fit in just fine for the indoors entertainment people generally do.

escobert
11-28-2007, 03:11 AM
I bet the dudes down there have a DS :p

Discord
11-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Umm... I don't think the African middle-class is buying games though.:D I know from experience that the East European lower/middle-class certainly doesn't.

Mirage
11-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Lol, is this a serious question or what?

Discord
11-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Lol, is this a serious question or what?

I doubt it. *bans*:tongue:

KentaRawr!
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Well, in my Global Connections class and my American History class, we've only referred to Africa when it comes to slavery and so such thus far, so I'm willing to bet that if I didn't realize Africa had places like the picture shown earlier, I'm willing to bet not many people who took the same classes as me realize it either. Or, maybe I'm just stupid. :p

Discord
11-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Well, in my Global Connections class and my American History class, we've only referred to Africa when it comes to slavery and so such thus far, so I'm willing to bet that if I didn't realize Africa had places like the picture shown earlier, I'm willing to bet not many people who took the same classes as me realize it either. Or, maybe I'm just stupid. :p

Most of Africa looks nothing like it though. You've got a couple of tourist areas, which of course do look very good, a couple of rich families and South Africa; the rest you've heard about.

SuperMillionaire
11-28-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm sure there are at least two, thus making it a yes, there are video games in Africa. Next question!

If you don't mind me asking, why on smurf's name would you want to know? Excuse the expression.

I want to know because I know that there are video game in North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and I wondered if there are video games in Africa as well.

Old Manus
11-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Of course there are video games in Africa. The whole continent isn't poverty striken, in fact the vast majority isn't. Ever heard of South Africa?

Discord
11-28-2007, 04:27 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why on smurf's name would you want to know? Excuse the expression.

I want to know because I know that there are video game in North and South America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, and I wondered if there are video games in Africa as well.

Ehhh... I don't want to insult anybody (maybe just a tiny little bit), but you do know that what you've just said sounds like an extract from a book written for a 6-year-old?

Are there any commercial games being made in Africa would be a much more interesting question though. Doubt it. =/

Madame Adequate
11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Are there any commercial games being made in Africa would be a much more interesting question though. Doubt it. =/
There are (http://www.reuters.com/news/video/videoStory?videoId=64679).

Edit: I think this video almost makes it pretty clear that Africa is not uniformly an impoverished tribal backwater.

blim
11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Im sure in some parts but I'd say the majority of the country doesnt. A shame really.

hmmm!

SuperMillionaire
11-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Okay there are. I was thinking South Africa, yes, maybe, but what about the rest of the continent?

Thank you very much. Now I would like to know the African video game rating system...

Nominus Experse
11-28-2007, 08:20 PM
No. Africa only has AIDS.

Madame Adequate
11-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Okay there are. I was thinking South Africa, yes, maybe, but what about the rest of the continent?

Thank you very much. Now I would like to know the African video game rating system...

Depends on the country and how the imports work. I'd bet half of them just use CERO, PEGI, or ESRB stuff though. Easier than making your own crap up.

Aerith's Knight
11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
*warning, this comment is stupid and insulting*

maybe a game called: "catch the canned food"
with a follow-up: "finding the can-opener: the new adventure"

Hazzard
11-28-2007, 09:07 PM

That was; stupid, rude and insulting...:rolleyes2

blim
11-28-2007, 09:11 PM

That was; stupid, rude and insulting...:rolleyes2

And not the first post in this thread to be such.

Mirage
11-28-2007, 09:58 PM
This thread is so bad, I think it gave me cancer.

theundeadhero
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Which is exactly why it is over.