PDA

View Full Version : Music that Makes You Wanna Cry ; ;

Jessweeee♪
11-28-2007, 02:34 AM
I was listening to Coldplay and their songs are just so purdy ; ;

...also some Incubus and The Fray!

Roto13
11-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven is about the death of his son, so that's a tearjerker. So is the Across the Universe version of Let it Be because it starts off being sung by a little boy in the middle of a race riot (When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be, etc.) and after the first verse it's taken over by a gospel singer, and it cuts to the boy's funeral. In one of the two soundtrack versions (I think it's the version on the one-disc soundtrack, not the two-disc version) the ending is sung by the boy. Kind of a farewell. It's very well done. It's a bit oversung for a song you'd just listen to (unless you're into gospel music) but in the context of the movie, it's absolutely heartbreaking.

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2007, 04:37 AM
Yesterday and Blackbird, which, at least for me, balance so perfectly on a line of being horribly depressing and incredibly uplifting that I don't even know if it makes any sense, but I can't describe it any better.

Breine
11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Antony and the Johnsons! Especially "Cripple and the Starfish" - that song is just so damn beautiful and so so so sad. "Man is the Baby" is also amazingly beautiful and sad - everything they make is that way, literally. Antony Hegarty is God!

Slothy
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Feist.

Oh wait, you mean emotional crying? Scratch that answer then. I'm not sure anything has ever really moved me to tears, or made me feel truly sad. I'd say some Uematsu stuff has probably come as close as anything ever will. Aria De Mezzo Carattere is one I can think of off the top of my head. Such a beautiful song.

blim
11-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Doesnt make me cry but The Fields Of Athenry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQ6a8gA7qk) always makes me emotional as does Green Fields of France (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQnnZJ68Xo)

Resha
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Hallelujah. Jeff Buckley.
Yeah, Green Fields of France gets me pretty lumpy in the throat. By The Dropkick Murphy's (my version).
And strangely -- I find Sufjan Stevens' Casimir Pulaski Day one of the saddest things ever; especially when he sings, "crying in the bathroom". etc. Great stuff.

El Bandito
11-29-2007, 06:03 PM
"Ave Maria" sung by any good Tenor gets to me. I'm really just a sucker for any good opera music.

For pop music, "In My Life" by The Beatles activates the waterworks since it was one of my father's favorite songs and the one we played at his funeral.

"Bell Bottom Blues" really affects me as well. Especially the chorus. I'll probably ask to have that played at my own funeral.

Spawn of Sephiroth
11-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Never too Late by 3 Days Grace chokes me up every time I hear it.

charliepanayi
11-29-2007, 08:18 PM
How to Disappear Completely and Motion Picture Soundtrack by Radiohead are both very moving songs when I feel sad. Also Untitled 1 by Sigur Ros, especially when accompanied by its video.

Old Manus
11-29-2007, 09:08 PM
SOULJA BOI UP IN IT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHH WATCH ME CRANK IT WATCH ME ROOOOOOOOOOOOOLL WATCH ME CRANK DAT SOULJA BOI THAT SUPERMAN DAT OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

demondude
11-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Anything by britney spears.

Jimsour
11-29-2007, 09:13 PM
Doesnt make me cry but The Fields Of Athenry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQ6a8gA7qk) always makes me emotional as does Green Fields of France (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrQnnZJ68Xo)

fields of athenry is a tune.

old skibbereen is a song i can barely handle, love it to bits.
YouTube - Bob n Along " Dear old Skibbereen." Irish/famine rebel song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijhZAz9fI4)

Kossage
11-30-2007, 06:55 AM
There are quite a few soundtracks and albums that are like that, but here's three I'm particularly fond of.

The Land Before Time OST by James Horner is definitely some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, and I'm on the verge of tears whenever I listen to it thanks to the associations I have to the film it accompanies. :cry: The choral bits are tragic and yet beautiful, and orchestra swells into enourmous and yet surprisingly tender proportions as it conveys various emotions through the use of various magnificent themes.

Wolf's Rain OSTs by Yoko Kanno etc. are quite heartbreaking as well. Just listening to tracks like Shiro, Gravity or Tell Me What the Rain Knows takes one through various emotions, the orchestrations are lush and beautiful and the singers do a great job.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't usually listen to depressing music. Aeris' theme still makes me a little sad, but I listen to it because it's a good piece of music, not to have an excuse to become upset.

Captain Maxx Power
11-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Most Rap and RnB songs make me want to cry, but they're mainly tears of utter rage.

Slothy
11-30-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't usually listen to depressing music. Aeris' theme still makes me a little sad, but I listen to it because it's a good piece of music, not to have an excuse to become upset.

I think a song can move you to tears without being depressing, or upsetting you if you ask me.

Vincent, Thunder God
11-30-2007, 03:06 PM

I think a song can move you to tears without being depressing, or upsetting you if you ask me.

Well that's true, but I can't say anythings driven me to tears of joy either. I have chills often with beautiful music, but not tears.