PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube Controller

Rostum
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I was just wondering if anyone can help me find a good Nintendo Gamecube controller that I can buy online?

Ebay seem to have a lot of imitations (and in the past, that has resulted in easily broken controllers). Plus, I don't need two, just one. I don't plan on getting any 2-player Gamecube games, and if I want to play retro games, we have a Wii Classic controller.

I was thinking about getting something like this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nintendo-GameCube-OFFICIAL-BLUE-CONTROLLER-VGC_W0QQitemZ280176666332QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20389QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem). But yeah, it's a bit more expensive than the really cheap ones, but at least it is an official Nintendo piece of hardware. Which is always a good thing.

Also, just as a side note; you can't play Gamecube games with a Wii classic controller, can you? I know it has all the right buttons, but I heard Gamecube games just don't pick up bluetooth devices.

Oh, and will I need a Gamecube memory card, or can I just a Wii memory card / it's hard drive? What would be the best to get? I saw a Wii 256mb card from hong kong for around $9AUD.

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't believe you can save GameCube data to the Wii's internal flash memory or an SD card. Definitely can't use the classic controller either.

I don't know how hardware works with these things, but I'm assuming you could use a controller from anywhere on your system. I'd definitely a recommend a Wavebird (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000E5U6N/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1196286746&sr=8-1) over a wired controller. Those are all US sellers, but they might ship international.

Rostum
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Ah, thanks. My only concern is the wireless adapter that is plugged into the controller port might not fit into the Nintendo Wii's controller port for the Gamecube, or at least I read somewhere that someone couldn't get it to fit.

Otherwise it looks pretty great -- though I don't care if it's not wireless. Everything I have is basically wireless, so I don't mind a few wires here and there. :)

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2007, 10:34 PM
It fits. I have two. I think it's designed for them, actually, because I believe the two receivers fit perfectly snuggly next to one another with no room between them. Or maybe not, but they definitely fit. :p They'll stick over the edge a little bit, but you'll have to have that top flap open regardless, so the receiver won't be any more obtrusive than a cable.

Aerith's Knight
11-28-2007, 10:41 PM
my bro has a wii.. and you can use the classic controller on them just fine.. and there is a slot for the old gamecube memory card as well.. its fully backwards compatible.. thats what it was designed for.. dont let anyone tell you differently

XxSephirothxX
11-28-2007, 10:43 PM
You can't play GameCube games with the classic controller.

Rostum
11-29-2007, 12:06 AM
It fits. I have two. I think it's designed for them, actually, because I believe the two receivers fit perfectly snuggly next to one another with no room between them. Or maybe not, but they definitely fit. :p They'll stick over the edge a little bit, but you'll have to have that top flap open regardless, so the receiver won't be any more obtrusive than a cable.

Ah, good news! Thanks. Now to find one that isn't so expensive in Australia. :D

my bro has a wii.. and you can use the classic controller on them just fine.. and there is a slot for the old gamecube memory card as well.. its fully backwards compatible.. thats what it was designed for.. dont let anyone tell you differently

You know, except for every single review on the Classic Wii controller. They all must be wrong?

Well, I might buy this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nintendo-Gamecube-Wavebird-wireless-RF-controller-Wii_W0QQitemZ170172053998QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41042QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem). Even though it is probably second hand, it looks like it is in good condition, and it beats paying something like $80AUD...

Roto13
11-29-2007, 12:43 AM
You can't save Game Cube games directly to your Wii or your SD card, but you can copy them there as backup (exactly like you could do with PS1 game saves on a PS2 with a PS2 memory card). Because of that, the 256 block memory card would be enough for you (some game saves are too big to fit on the 59 block card in the first place, so that would suck) but the 1019 block card should only be a few dollars more. If I were you, I'd get that one just for the convenience of it. Plus, some games don't allow their data to be copied (like F-Zero GX or Animal Crossing) so you wouldn't be able to back those up onto your Wii. In that case, it'd be stuck on your Game Cube memory card forever or until you delete it.

So yeah, the 1019 memory card would be your best bet. Remember, always go first party for memory cards. :P

EDIT: Someone should invent a replacement door that has holes in it for Game Cube controllers. That'd look so much better than having that door on the top open and the big black rectangle on top. :P

Rostum
11-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Thanks Roto! I'll get some cheap Gamecube memory card then. :)

I also won a bid on a Wavebird! I got it for around $30USD total, and it is in mint condition (so says the seller, anyways, and the pictures it looks fine).

I think I got it cheap because it's just a grey one, and everyone was bidding on his silver one.

XxSephirothxX
11-30-2007, 03:35 AM
If that's including shipping, that's a great price. :choc2:

Rostum
11-30-2007, 04:48 AM
If that's including shipping, that's a great price. :choc2:

Yeah, it includes the shipping price. I saw a lot of brand new ones for around $70USD and then they said $30USD for shipping. So crazy! Well I hope this is in good condition.

:)