PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Pro-Bowl Safety Sean Taylor dead at the age of 24.

Bloodline666
11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
I am not a Redskins fan (in fact, I am very much anti-Redskins, given my obvious status as a Cowboys fan). However, tragic news in the NFL came yesterday, which is much bigger than football, rivalries, and whatnot.

Washington Redskins Safety Sean Taylor, who made his first Pro Bowl last season, was shot in the leg between his thigh and groin by an intruder early Monday morning. His femoral artery, one of the key arteries in the body, was severed by the gunshot, which led to massive bleeding. He was airlifted to a local hospital and underwent emergency surgery. According to NFL Network's Adam Schefter, he flatlined twice during the surgery. Afterwards, he was responsive enough to squeeze a nurse's hand on a doctor's request, which left hope open for Sean Taylor's survival.

Unfortunately, at around 5 ET yesterday, Sean Taylor passed away. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=DA8E8E41EEE3C8AAEEE61E0A6E3ABFC5?id=09000d5d804946ac&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Taylor was drafted fifth overall by the Washington Redskins in the 2004 NFL Draft, the first draft of Joe Gibbs' second tenure as head coach of the team. On the field, he developed a reputation as one of the hardest hitting safeties in the league, rivaling the likes of Rodney Harrison of the Patriots and Roy Williams of the rival Cowboys.

Off the field, however, he ran into trouble. He was fined $25,000 for missing the league's mandatory rookie symposium. His rookie season, he was acquitted for DUI, but convicted for refusing a breathalyzer test. In the 2005 off-season, Sean Taylor missed Redskins minicamp as part of a hold-out to try and get his contract renegotiated (it is interesting to note that his agent is Drew Rosenhaus, one of the most controversial in the business; his clients include Terrell "T.O." Owens, Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson, Lance Briggs, Warren Sapp, and Willis McGahee, among others). Also in 2005, he faced felony assault charges that could have landed him behind bars for 40+ years, but delays in litigation, along with a change in district attorneys led to a plea bargain that reduced the charges and put him on probation. His lowest point on the field came in the 2005/2006 NFC Wild Card Game against the Buccaneers, when he was ejected for spitting in the face of Bucs RB Michael Pittman, and was fined the equivalent of a full game check.

However, in the 2006 off-season, a single event prompted him to turn his life around for the better; the birth of his daughter, Jackie. Just ask anyone who's close to him, and they'll tell you the same thing.

At the time of his death, Sean Taylor shared the NFC lead in interceptions with CB Anthony Henry of the rival Dallas Cowboys. The last game he played this season was on November 11th against division rival Philadelphia Eagles. In that game, Taylor suffered a knee injury that caused him to miss the Redskins' last two games, against the Cowboys (a game I happened to attend) and Buccaneers.

This shooting has been ruled a homicide by Miami police, and is being investigated. It is believed that this shooting could be related to a burglary that happened at Taylor's home only a week earlier.

The Redskins will be wearing patches on their jersey in his honor, while all 32 teams in the league, Redskins included, will be wearing #21 decals on their helmets this week, and all 16 stadiums where games will be played this week will have a moment of silence for Sean Taylor.

This is the second time an active NFL player has been murdered in a shooting this calendar year. On New Year's Day this year, Broncos CB Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting only hours after the Broncos were snubbed from the playoffs by a 49ers game-winning field goal. Like Taylor, Darrent Williams was only 24.

In my opinion, I think this is very sad. What makes it even more sad is the fact that this guy made some mistakes in his life, and decided to turn his life around on his own accord, and still falls victim to a violent death.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h115/snowman_2023/Sean%20Taylor/SeanTaylor1.jpg
Sean Taylor
Free Safety, Washington Redskins
April 1, 1983 - November 27, 2007
Rest In Peace