PDA

View Full Version : No Country For Old Men

El Bandito
11-29-2007, 05:04 AM
So "No Country For Old Men" is definitely an experience. Perfectly filmed and perfectly acted. No music, so all the suspense is purely visceral. The story was not my cup of tea (though that's more on Cormac McCarthy than the Coens), but Jesus was I on the edge of my seat mesmerized the whole time.

This is the Coen brothers at their best. Personally, I prefer Fargo, but god the scenes and characters in NCFOM are just amazing.

Anyone else seen it?

Necronopticous
11-29-2007, 05:32 AM
Favorite film of the year.

XxSephirothxX
11-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Fantastic movie. The level of suspense throughout was amazing. The story was gripping, the deliberate pacing was thrilling, it's really just hard to describe how powerful it was. I was, personally, let down with the ending, though. I felt unfulfilled. I didn't expect you typical good guy defeats bad guy and lives happily ever after ending, of course, but I wish it had ended differently.

Necronopticous
11-29-2007, 06:47 AM
The ending was perfect in every respect. Totally void of the self-indulgence that plagues most films in this genre.

XxSephirothxX
11-29-2007, 06:54 AM
I think perfect is a bit of an overstatement.

Javier Bardem being hit by the car was way too predictable, especially the way they filmed it. And while Llewellyn dying wasn't particularly unexpected, I didn't like the way it was presented. If I'd followed everything 100% it might've been better, but his death really felt like a very awkward and abrupt shift to me.

Were the Mexicans working for the crime lord/whatever Javier Bardem killed, or were they on their own side trying to track down the money, or what?

It wasn't bad, but I would've been much more satisfied if his death had been a little more fleshed out. Or if Tommy Lee Jones had actually done something. But then, I guess the title wouldn't have applied. The scene with Carla Jean was incredible, though.

charliepanayi
11-29-2007, 08:13 AM
This dosn't come out in the UK until January/February :(

I look forward to seeing it, good to hear the Coen brothers are back on form. I adored stuff like Fargo and O Brother Where Art Thou (though I acknowledge this won't be much like the latter XD)

eestlinc
11-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Very excited to see this, although probably waiting until I can go with someone.

I Took the Red Pill
11-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Best movie of the past few years.

Deborah
11-30-2007, 08:01 AM
I loved it! So many parts had me so anxious! I love that feeling from a movie! :love:

Roto13
12-06-2007, 06:20 AM
My husband and I saw it just now and neither of us get what the whole fuss is about. It's kind of sad when someone is slaughtering people with an air gun for two hours and you're falling asleep.