PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to use any NTSC game as Swap Magic?

Peter_20
12-01-2007, 07:59 PM
As far as I know, you use Swap Magic in order to trick the console that you're gonna use an NTSC CD, right?
Does this mean that you could theoretically use any NTSC game?
Couldn't you just insert the NTSC CD, wait for the console to read it, and then open the console and insert a PAL game?

Black Mage
12-01-2007, 08:32 PM
Really, this is something you could find if you spent just a couple of minutes looking.

If you have an NTSC PS2, then yes a NTSC game can work for the "swap trick". If you have a PAL PS2, then you'll have to use a PAL game.

It seems pretty obvious that you'd use what ever kind of game is native to the console you're trying to fool during the boot phase.

There are videos that show how to do it if you're having trouble. Just look at Youtube or a similar site.

Peter_20
12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Really, this is something you could find if you spent just a couple of minutes looking.Yeah, but I'd like to know if it's worth adventuring my console's future existence, because swapping like this is very risky. :p

boys from the dwarf
12-02-2007, 10:10 AM
what kind of risks? this is very tempting. it depends if the risk is more expensive than swap magic itself.

Rostum
12-10-2007, 02:27 AM
There are no risks at all when using Swap Magic, who told you otherwise? All you do it put the CD or DVD in, let it boot up, use a slide card (or if you have a slim-line PS2, you have to get a flip top which is just as easy) to open up the tray and put in the game you want to play.

If you have a PAL PS2, use a PAL Swap Magic version. You will be able to play backups, and other region games no problem.

XxSephirothxX
12-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Can't you eventually damage your tray using the slide tool, pulling it out all the time, and pushing it back in? Seems like it could damage the mechanism eventually. Doesn't bother me anyway, I'll probably be done with my PS2 before I kill it that way. :p

Spawn of Sephiroth
12-10-2007, 03:38 PM
what kind of risks? this is very tempting. it depends if the risk is more expensive than swap magic itself.

I have the flip top for my ps2 cause I imported Kh2 fm and there is no risk with swap magic or is it expensive. I got mine for like 30 bucks off of modchip.com

Dreddz
12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Can't you eventually damage your tray using the slide tool, pulling it out all the time, and pushing it back in? Seems like it could damage the mechanism eventually. Doesn't bother me anyway, I'll probably be done with my PS2 before I kill it that way. :p

Using a slide tool is an awful idea unless you want to damage your PS2. It only works on a certain version of the PS2. When I used the slide tool it broke my disc tray. I literally just stuck it in there, found a hold on something and pulled as hard as I could. I then heard a ear piercing crack and the tray came out maybe 2cm or 3cm. I was able to push the tray back into my PS2 but I could not eject it anymore. I have never been able to eject my disc tray since. I decided to get a flip top which allowed me to play games on my PS2 again. I then chipped the console, which I should of done from the start.

XxSephirothxX
12-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Well that's why you broke it. :p You put in the slide tool (or a credit card, anything small and flat really) and slide it to the right, and then the disc tray comes out easy-peasy. You're dealing with tiny pieces of plastic. Why would you yank on it as hard as you can? :p