PDA

View Full Version : Whats Your Favorite Oxymoron?

Psychokitty
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
What is yours? This won't be a Poll, but just list your favorite ones. Mine are.....

1. Master in Procrastination
2. Microsoft Works.
3. Politically Correct.
4. Anarchy Rules!
5. The Plain and Simple Truth.
6. Simple Logic.

Vermachtnis
12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Jumbo Shrimp
Instant Classic

Big D
12-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Military intelligence

Government intelligence

Intelligence agency

Sergeant Hartman
12-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Bittersweet :hat:

Old Manus
12-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Final Fantasy

Big D
12-02-2007, 09:10 PM
New and improved!

Zeldy
12-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I learnt about them during Shakespeare, so I always think of "Love's Hate.."

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Big Jim or little Jim

ff7+ff10 gurl 100
12-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Big Baby
Larger Half
Distant Relative
Old News

I Don't Need A Name
12-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Distant Relative

that isnt an oxymoron

Quindiana Jones
12-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Funny Psychotic.

Especially the moron part.

KuRt
12-02-2007, 09:57 PM
What's an oxymoron?

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2007, 10:02 PM
What's an oxymoron?

thats sad..

its 2 things that contradict each other..

example: big baby (babies are always small)

Quindiana Jones
12-02-2007, 10:03 PM
I think this thread should be devoted to Big D and his oxymorons.

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Great leaders
future past

Captain Maxx Power
12-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Liberal Conservative.

KuRt
12-02-2007, 10:28 PM
What's an oxymoron?

thats sad..

YOU'RE sad. Suomi/englanti/suomi dictionary didn't have the word so how am i supposed to know?
Christian evolution

ShunNakamura
12-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Pretty Ugly

Does that one count? Most of my favs have already been upped :(

Aerith's Knight
12-02-2007, 10:33 PM
What's an oxymoron?

thats sad..

YOU'RE sad. Suomi/englanti/suomi dictionary didn't have the word so how am i supposed to know?
Christian evolution

you learn that in basic english class.. i knew it and english is my second language.. so yes.. shame on you!

KuRt
12-03-2007, 12:01 AM
nope. you.
Tragicomic (if that counts)

Tallulah
12-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Civil War.

Though Microsoft Works is also a good one. :D

Aerith's Knight
12-03-2007, 12:42 AM
half truth

random prediction

Fatal Impurity
12-03-2007, 01:01 AM
Oxymorons are stupid.

Take "Everythings a lie and thats a fact!" eventhough it isnt an Oxymoron its still an annoying contridiction!

Aerith's Knight
12-03-2007, 01:14 AM
if it was a oxymoron it should be:

everything is a lie and that is true (true lies, but that sounds stupid)

BardTard
12-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Final Fantasy

:D

Um... I don't think I can top that. I'll just agree.

NeoTifa
12-03-2007, 05:33 AM
biggie smalls lol

fav south park episode ever

Aerith's Knight
12-03-2007, 09:07 AM
world peace

oddler
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Honestly lying.

Jowy
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
<a href=http://youtube.com/watch?v=LNVYWJOEy9A>The Ice King!</a>

Griff
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
headbutt

scrumpleberry
12-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Oxymorons are stupid.

Take "Everythings a lie and thats a fact!" eventhough it isnt an Oxymoron its still an annoying contridiction!

Actually that's a paradox. A close relative of the oxymoron, found in the habitats of the grasslands of Arcadia.

headbutt

My new favourite. I never even realised until now. :love:

Great leaders

There have been great leaders. Yours are getting sort of vague.

Long shorts
Guest host

Kind of boring, but I like them.

Bunny
12-03-2007, 05:52 PM

"Big baby" is not an oxymoron, as some babies are considerably bigger than others. The insult is also not an oxymoron because it is not implying that you are the size of the baby but that you whine more than one.

My favorite oxymoron is about intelligent women.

starseeker
12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
American Military Intelligence

Psychokitty
12-03-2007, 10:18 PM

"Big baby" is not an oxymoron, as some babies are considerably bigger than others. The insult is also not an oxymoron because it is not implying that you are the size of the baby but that you whine more than one.

Women ARE intelligent! You must not be for saying that! And "big baby" is indeed, an oxymoron. When most people think of baby's, they think of small, little people. "Great Leaders" is an oxymoron to, I beleive.

Someothers I just thought of include

Caring Rapist.
Dumb Luck. ((I think. . .))
A Sad Optimist
"Home on the Range"

And I am NOT Psychotic!!! Why did someone say I was in one of the first posts!!!??? Psychotic hasn't posted here and just because my username has the word "Psycho" in it dosen't mean that I'm Psychotic!

James Leopold
12-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Back to the future
The future is now
Walking with dinosaurs

Bunny
12-04-2007, 12:53 AM
example: big baby (babies are always small)"Big baby" is not an oxymoron, as some babies are considerably bigger than others. The insult is also not an oxymoron because it is not implying that you are the size of the baby but that you whine more than one.

Women ARE intelligent! You must not be for saying that! And "big baby" is indeed, an oxymoron. When most people think of baby's, they think of small, little people. "Great Leaders" is an oxymoron to, I beleive.

Someothers I just thought of include

Caring Rapist.
Dumb Luck. ((I think. . .))
A Sad Optimist
"Home on the Range"

And I am NOT Psychotic!!! Why did someone say I was in one of the first posts!!!??? Psychotic hasn't posted here and just because my username has the word "Psycho" in it dosen't mean that I'm Psychotic!

Thank you for proving my point.

Psychokitty
12-13-2007, 12:58 AM
No problem, lol, thats another Oxymoron and I didn't realise it untell I decided to put it there as a responce.
Santa Anna

The Beverly Hillbilies

Bloody Mary

Anti-Christ

Saint Benard ((The dog, I can't spell things that well ))

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 01:05 AM
fast running computer

adult supervision

Evastio
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
Consistant Inconsistance would be mine since I can really relate to it.

Psychokitty
12-13-2007, 01:12 AM
. . . . Fast running computer. . . . Lol, Knight-of-the-Pink-Table, lol.

. . . . Consistant Inconsistance. . . . Lol to that too.

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 01:15 AM
white noise

pea brain

DarkLadyNyara
12-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Microsoft Works is my new favorite. :D

Responsible govornment
Deafening silence

The rest of my favorites have been used. :(

And BTW, "big baby" is not an oxymoron, as the two words do not inherently contradict eachother. Neither is "anti-christ", "santa anna", "bloody mary", or "Saint bernard".

Quindiana Jones
12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Strawberry milkshake.
Yellow mongoose.
Strange flatulence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this had changed into the "Stupid Dumbass" Thread.

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Strawberry milkshake.
Yellow mongoose.
Strange flatulence.

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought this had changed into the "Stupid Dumbass" Thread.

it did now that you arrived

fire_of_avalon
12-13-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey guys. Shut up with the insults. I mean it.

Final Fantasy was the one I was going to use. Manus. :mad2:

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
i dont insult, i only respond

slow runner

master noob

Old Manus
12-13-2007, 06:53 PM
Final Fantasy was the one I was going to use. Manus. :mad2:Don't worry, it wasn't funny.

Psychokitty
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Microsoft Works is my new favorite. :D

Responsible govornment
Deafening silence

The rest of my favorites have been used. :(

And BTW, "big baby" is not an oxymoron, as the two words do not inherently contradict eachother. Neither is "anti-christ", "santa anna", "bloody mary", or "Saint bernard".

In a way they sorta are, the last ones you said that wern't oxymorons, that is.

Anti-Christ: "Anti" means that it is aginst. "Christ", in christianity, is God, and God loves all things in the Universe.

Santa Anna: "Santa" is like Santa Clause, and "Anna" is like the Mexican general who hated Texas and America.

Bloody-Marry: "Bloody" is how it sounds, and "mary" was the woman who gave birth to Jesus Christ in Christianity.

Saint bernard: "Saints" are good, happy, neat people, and the dog itself is messy, sloppy, obnoctious, and loud.

And people, please try not to fight. It's not verry nice, and you could hurt some other people's feelings, which isn't nice either. Don't be meanie-heads, and just let us all get along, nicely and happily, forever, and ever, and ever, and ever. :D :D :D

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 10:57 PM
*smashes chair on random person's head*

ow sorry.. what were you saying?

Psychokitty
12-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I was saying that the word "Oxymoron" is an "Oxymoron."

Shauna
12-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Anti-Christ: "Anti" means that it is aginst. "Christ", in christianity, is God, and God loves all things in the Universe.

Santa Anna: "Santa" is like Santa Clause, and "Anna" is like the Mexican general who hated Texas and America.

Bloody-Marry: "Bloody" is how it sounds, and "mary" was the woman who gave birth to Jesus Christ in Christianity.

Saint bernard: "Saints" are good, happy, neat people, and the dog itself is messy, sloppy, obnoctious, and loud.

No, they're still not oxymorons. :p The words don't contradict each other. :p

Starting to Stop. :p

Psychokitty
12-13-2007, 11:46 PM

No, they're still not oxymorons. :p The words don't contradict each other. :p

Starting to Stop. :p

:rolleyes2 :rolleyes2 Whatever you say. . . . :rolleyes2 :rolleyes2

Hoplessly Hopefull.
He-shes, & She-Males.
Born Ready.((I think. . . .))
White Lie.
Pretty Ugly.
Smart-@$$.

oddler
12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Pretty Ugly.

I like that one. :up:

nik0tine
12-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Compassionate conservative.

Lawr
12-13-2007, 11:59 PM

An oxymoron just has to be two contradictory terms. So it doesn't matter what they are meant in the context. That's why 'pretty ugly' is an oxymoron even if I say "It looks pretty ugly to me." Or Civil War, the Civil is for Civil Rights, not being in a mannerly fashion.

Psychokitty
12-14-2007, 12:07 AM

An oxymoron just has to be two contradictory terms. So it doesn't matter what they are meant in the context. That's why 'pretty ugly' is an oxymoron even if I say "It looks pretty ugly to me." Or Civil War, the Civil is for Civil Rights, not being in a mannerly fashion.
Amen, brother/sister! Amen! :cool: :)

Dolentrean
12-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Devout Atheist

Double Solitare

Good Grief

Dry Martini

Religious Tolerance

Aerith's Knight
12-14-2007, 01:18 AM
i like dry martini :p

uncorrelated couple

Markus. D
12-14-2007, 02:26 AM
GTA Holmes.

Værn
12-14-2007, 02:41 AM
Virtual Reality
Holy Hell
Freezer Burn
Good Grief
Educational TV

To support that last one, here are some (rejected) cartoons from the Family Learning Channel.
WARNING: THIS VIDEO WILL KILL BRAIN CELLS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ)
"Educational TV" is a lie.

Markus. D
12-14-2007, 04:55 AM
Virtual Reality
Holy Hell
Freezer Burn
Good Grief
Educational TV

To support that last one, here are some (rejected) cartoons from the Family Learning Channel.
WARNING: THIS VIDEO WILL KILL BRAIN CELLS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuOvqeABHvQ)
"Educational TV" is a lie.

I was hoping to never see that video again >_<

on topic: Blindly Following.

DarkLadyNyara
12-14-2007, 07:16 AM

*eyelid twitch*

Anti-christ merely means against Christ. Not only is that possible, but a great deal of Christianity centers around that concept.

Santa Anna was the generals full name. Santa Clause has nothing to do with it.

Mary is just a womans name. No inherent contradiction there. (Point in fact, certain historical Marys were quite bloody).

Saint Bernard is the name of the species. They got that name, in part, because of the fact that they were often used to rescue travelers. Quite appropriate, really.

Back on topic...
Accidentally on purpose
Act naturally
Beaucractic efficiency
Friendly fire
Genuine immitation
Ojective opinion

Proxy
12-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Same Difference?
does that work?
ITT people that don't know what oxymorons are.

oddler
12-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Proxymoron. :shifty:

sillybuttons™
12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Strippers dressing room.

Quindiana Jones
12-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Act naturally

Me like!

drotato
12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Final Fantasy
Hah, that's great. :kaoclove:

Proxy
12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Proxymoron. :shifty:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/binary/c3922e57/i_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Psychokitty
12-14-2007, 10:17 PM

*eyelid twitch*

Anti-christ merely means against Christ. Not only is that possible, but a great deal of Christianity centers around that concept.

Santa Anna was the generals full name. Santa Clause has nothing to do with it.

Mary is just a womans name. No inherent contradiction there. (Point in fact, certain historical Marys were quite bloody).

Saint Bernard is the name of the species. They got that name, in part, because of the fact that they were often used to rescue travelers. Quite appropriate, really.

Back on topic...
Accidentally on purpose
Act naturally
Beaucractic efficiency
Friendly fire
Genuine immitation
Ojective opinion

In a sense, what I said was right. I know Santa Anna doesn't have to do with Santa Clause, but they have the same first part of their name, and their actions are opposit, so they contridict, and that makes them oxymorons. Bloody-Mary is an oxymoron if you relate it to Christianity, and I'll at least agree that the "Saint Bernard" isn't an oxymoron, and "Anti-Christ" can be used as one, but probibly most unlikely to be used as one in many cases.

Strippers dressing room.

Radoflmfhoaicolumkeaisctluidfloafltmaigthwisctl.
(rolling and dieing on floor, laughing my f**king head off, and I contenue on laughing untell my kidny explodes and I still contenue to laugh, untell I die from lack of air from laughing too much, and i go to Heavan while I still contenue to laugh))

Oxymoron
Gentleman
Evily Thoughtfull
Sweet Revenge!!!
A Little on the Tall Side
A Giant Dwarf

Shauna
12-14-2007, 10:23 PM
How does Evily Thoughtful work?

Aerith's Knight
12-14-2007, 10:34 PM
politely rude

well dressed nudist

Psychokitty
12-14-2007, 11:03 PM
Evily is like, well, evil, and being thoughtfull, is when your doing something nice for someone, or your deep in thought. In this case, it's when you do something nice for a evil person who is thinking hard, or just doing something nice for a evil person without the evil person thinking hard. . . . . Confusing. . . . ? ? ? ?

EDIT BY BoB: That list was terribly coded. :p I've removed it since this isn't a "list as many oxymorons as you can find" thread. Plus there's a link in your later post.

KentaRawr!
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
YOUR FACE

Besides that, I dunno. The thread was pretty much won at the whole "Final Fantasy" bit. Plus, I can't think of anything after the post right before mine. Not because it was well done, no, just because everything there is the exact polar opposite of an oxymoron, and my mind isn't in the right mind-set.

Araciel
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Final Fantasy was the one I was going to use. Manus. :mad2:Don't worry, it wasn't funny.

Did the definition of fantasy recently become 'beginning of' or 'start'? If it did, I want my money back.

Aerith's Knight
12-15-2007, 12:36 AM
no they mean.. the final version of the fantasy game.. but there are already about 15 final fantasy's

Araciel
12-15-2007, 12:38 AM
That's hardly an oxymoron.

/pwnt. :rolleyes2

Proxy
12-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Evily is like, well, evil, and being thoughtfull, is when your doing something nice for someone, or your deep in thought. In this case, it's when you do something nice for a evil person who is thinking hard, or just doing something nice for a evil person without the evil person thinking hard. . . . . Confusing. . . . ? ? ? ?

[massive list goes here]

This thread has been won. In return...9000 internets.

Sing the Sorrow
12-15-2007, 07:23 AM
President Bush is a oxymoron! lol:)

Psychokitty
12-15-2007, 06:52 PM
Lol, I guess I shouln't of used the website, OxymoronList.com (http://www.oxymoronlist.com)

Lawr
12-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Proxy, did you HAVE to quote his entire post? Did you!?

Del Murder
12-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Best Admin

Psychokitty
12-16-2007, 10:53 PM
Lol, best admin, hilarious but totaly true.

Good Admin
Good MOD

NeoTifa
12-16-2007, 10:58 PM
i dont know if this is taken but discovered missing

Psychokitty
12-16-2007, 11:08 PM
I don't know if it's taken either, not after the website I quoted. :D

smittenkitten
12-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Final Fantasy
Manus wins. :love:

Eoff :p

Psychokitty
12-17-2007, 12:13 AM
Manus looses!
Psychokitty wins with the website of oxymorons!!!!!! Syke! Nobody wins, it wasn't a compitition.

The Unknown Guru
12-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Found lost _____

Fonzie
12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
All alone.

Loony BoB
12-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Yeah, 'Eyes on Final Fantasy' would have to be my favourite, along with 'Final Fantasy'.

Psychokitty
12-17-2007, 10:10 PM
I finaly made a thread that didn't die after 15 posts! And this actualy has reached 90! 90! Can you belive it!? 90!!!!!

Love at first sight.
A Crush (as in someone you like).
Daydream(ing).

Aerith's Knight
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
I finaly made a thread that didn't die after 15 posts! And this actualy has reached 90! 90! Can you belive it!? 90!!!!!

Love at first sight.
A Crush (as in someone you like).
Daydream(ing).

wouldnt it be something like loving crush, or painless crush.. or harmless crush.. or something like that?

Proxy
12-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Proxy, did you HAVE to quote his entire post? Did you!?

Haha...Yeah I really did.
However it was pretty intense having to scroll through all it again.

Chocomage
12-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Military intellengence
Jumbo Shrimp
Stupidest Geninous

Psychokitty
12-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Military intellengence
Jumbo Shrimp
Stupidest Geninous

First two were posted a billion-gillion times.

Sidekick.
A good idea.
"I am smart" quote by Psychokitty.

Quindiana Jones
12-19-2007, 07:53 PM
How are sidekick and good ideas oxymoronic?

Happy Christmas. LOL I MAED A FUNNEH.

Psychokitty
12-20-2007, 12:04 AM
How are sidekick and good ideas oxymoronic?

Happy Christmas. LOL I MAED A FUNNEH.

Sidekicks could be a kick in your side, which is bad. . . and painfull, or it could be someone that helps you, which is good.

And most Ideas people come up with are bad ideas like mine are. Therefor, you hardly find good ideas, so it is an oxymoron.

Quindiana Jones
12-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Neither of them are. Sorry to disappoint you. Your definition of oxymoron is incorrect. Worry not, however, as I have a tasty link (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oxymoron) to aid you.

You're very welcome.

Psychokitty
12-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I know what the definition of oxymoron is. I just like to add my own twist to words sometimes. After all, I AM apart of the "Dead Poets Society". *stands up in chair and yells, "Oh Captain, My Captain"* I did that today at the end of english class. It was the last day before break today, so no more school untell the 3rd!!!!! We also just watched that movie yesterday.

Momiji
12-21-2007, 04:43 AM
*sigh* This thread makes me cry.

As mentioned many times before, an oxymoron is simply something that contradicts itself. Sort of like Rudy Giuliani.

Anyway, it seems that half of you are just making phrases up and calling them oxymorons (Psychokitty and Aerith's Knight in particular, but at least AK has a partial grasp on the subject).

Psychokitty, you say that you understand what an oxymoron is. You clearly do not. "A Crush" is clearly not an oxymoron, neither are most of the nonsensical phrases you posted. Please do some research before you post. It seems you are only posting to raise the post count of this hopefully moribund thread.

Anyway, my favorite oxymoron is any oxymoron that makes sense. Which, of course, is an oxymoron in itself, because oxymorons can seem to make no sense at all if taken out of context.

ScottNUMBERS
12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Happily Married

LanceOfTime
12-21-2007, 01:43 PM
death in life

Psychokitty
12-22-2007, 12:46 AM
*sigh* This thread makes me cry.

As mentioned many times before, an oxymoron is simply something that contradicts itself. Sort of like Rudy Giuliani.

Anyway, it seems that half of you are just making phrases up and calling them oxymorons (Psychokitty and Aerith's Knight in particular, but at least AK has a partial grasp on the subject).

Psychokitty, you say that you understand what an oxymoron is. You clearly do not. "A Crush" is clearly not an oxymoron, neither are most of the nonsensical phrases you posted. Please do some research before you post. It seems you are only posting to raise the post count of this hopefully moribund thread.

Anyway, my favorite oxymoron is any oxymoron that makes sense. Which, of course, is an oxymoron in itself, because oxymorons can seem to make no sense at all if taken out of context.

I know what an oxymoron is, I just like to bend the rules of things, because thats what rules are made for. To be broken.

I had said that "oxymoron" is an oxymoron, but its not because of what you said. It's an oxymoron be ause of its 2 Latin routes. I'll have to relook them up to say which parts of it are.

---Will contenue post after searching on Google-------

An oxymoron (plural oxymora) is a figure of speech that combines two normally contradictory terms. Oxymoron is a Greek term derived from oxy ("sharp") and moros ("dull"). Thus the word oxymoron is itself an oxymoron. From oxymoron: Definition and Much More from Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/oxymoron&r=67) as cited from another source to that page from Wikipedia Topics from Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/library/Wikipedia-cid-58680)

Momiji
12-22-2007, 01:58 AM
You can't bend the rules of some things and still call them as such. I can't take pack of ramen noodles and a banana and call it an ice cream cone. This is basically what you are doing to the term 'oxymoron'. Rules are meant to be followed, so things make sense. Using your logic, it does not.

Psychokitty
12-22-2007, 02:02 AM
No, i'm only taking a word, and saying that 2 of it's meanings are opposite of each other instead of the double-worded word being the opposite.

Momiji
12-22-2007, 02:36 AM
Look, I've tried to give you literary advice already. If you aren't going to listen and stay blissfully ignorant of being incorrect, fine by me.

For example:
Love at first sight. -- Not an oxymoron in any way, shape, or form.
A Crush (as in someone you like). -- Same thing. It makes no sense to call it an oxymoron.
Daydream(ing). -- Who says you cannot dream during the day? It isn't self-contradictory.

You're only making yourself look foolish by making these silly things up. Bending the rules is no way to look intelligent.

Psychokitty
12-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Actualy "daydream" is an oxymoron, because mostly people sleep at night, and you tend to dream more often while your asleep, and "day" is opposite of "night". And all oxymorons are like that, "bright night" because night is dark, but it can be bright because of lightning and thunder. "Jumbo Shrimp" because shrimps are usualy very small fish-like things, but in some cases, like the food, they can be quite big. Same with alot of other oxymorons, but I do know that alot of the ones that people are posting saying that they aen't oxymorons are not oxymorons like y'all are saying. I just like to bend rules every now and then. And why try to look intellegent when I know I am? It doesn't matter what others think, just what I know.

Momiji
12-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Actualy "daydream" is an oxymoron, because mostly people sleep at night, and you tend to dream more often while your asleep, and "day" is opposite of "night". And all oxymorons are like that, "bright night" because night is dark, but it can be bright because of lightning and thunder. "Jumbo Shrimp" because shrimps are usualy very small fish-like things, but in some cases, like the food, they can be quite big. Same with alot of other oxymorons, but I do know that alot of the ones that people are posting saying that they aen't oxymorons are not oxymorons like y'all are saying. I just like to bend rules every now and then. And why try to look intellegent when I know I am? It doesn't matter what others think, just what I know.

*exasperated*

You won't be winning any debates with such blind arrogance.

Again with my analogy of ramen to ice cream; rules are not meant to be bent as such. If they were, nothing would make sense.

First of all, I shall repeat myself. 'Daydream' is not an oxymoron. 'Dream' has more than one definition. A dream can be someone's greatest desire, or even a simple thought that causes excessive distraction, as in the compound word 'daydream'. Not to mention, people sleeping and dreaming during the day is not uncommon. Therefore, if you claim it is an oxymoron, it is rather vague. Dreams may have some connection to 'night', which is obviously the opposite of day. However, 'dream' is not the opposite of 'day', and if you wanted it to be an oxymoron, you would have to call it 'daynight', which clearly makes no sense. So again I say: you are incorrect.

As for 'bright night', that could only partially be an oxymoron, if you are considering 'night' to be the substitute for 'dark'. 'Night' is merely a time of a day. Besides, a night really could be bright, given the moon is particularly bright that night, and then it merely becomes an adjective to describe the night, and not a contradiction.

'Jumbo shrimp' is an oxymoron, however, because 'jumbo' shrimp are indeed very large compared to smaller shrimp, although any shrimp is relatively small, not to mention the word 'shrimp' is used to define small things. This one is correct.

A good 80% (estimation, but I don't think I'm very far off) of the phrases you made up are not oxymorons, because they make absolutely no sense to begin with (see my previous statement about 'daynight'). Because of this, your idea of 'bending the rules' is a flagrant error. This is something you really cannot bend the rules to and still have it make sense.

And...checkmate. Prolonging this debate any longer will only make you seem foolish. Please stop while you are behind.

Psychokitty
12-24-2007, 01:19 AM
I don't care if I seem foolish, I
KNOW "bright night", and "daydream" are oxymorons because they don't allways have to be 100% precise, they
CAN be rather vauge. Oxymorons don't have to follow the fictinal "Laws of Science" because the "Laws of Science" don't follow the ways of life's works. For instance, they say you can't create or destroy matter, but you can. Take "matter", and combine it with the substance called "anti-matter" or put it into a "black hole" and you would have a chemical reaction that would evidentaly destroy "matter." Other laws can be broken because some of the laws are not phisicaly or mentaly or scientificaly or universaly or Divinly correct. Where did the matter come from that resulted from the "Big Bang Therom?" What put it there and how did it get there? What was there before the so-called "Explosion that started the Universe?" How do we know that there are not other dimentions? Have we ever put someone or something able to withstand high ammounts of pressure and whatever might be in a "black hole" into a "black hole?" Oxymorons, like almost everything, do not follow the rules of scientists. They didn't invint the world, universe, or oxymorons, so they can't decide if it is or not just because it dosen't follow THEIR patterns.

Big D
12-24-2007, 02:35 AM
Where did the matter come from that resulted from the "Big Bang Therom?" What put it there and how did it get there? What was there before the so-called "Explosion that started the Universe?" How do we know that there are not other dimentions?You almost inadvertently answered your own question there. Some current theories/speculation about the ultimate origin of the universe (i.e. the origins of everything that formed the matter and energy unleashed in the Big Bang) involve other dimensions.

:Edit:

And on a more relevant note...
An oxymoron is an oxymoron, a concept with a defined and limited meaning. A human construct. Not something that can be redefined at whim. Deciding that you want to give the word a wider meaning is one thing, but that does not actually make it so. For example, I can't declare myself a gibbon and expect others to accept my redefinition of 'gibbon', regardless of any real or perceived similarities I might, or might not, have to said primate.

Momiji
12-24-2007, 04:15 AM

An oxymoron is an oxymoron, a concept with a defined and limited meaning. A human construct. Not something that can be redefined at whim. Deciding that you want to give the word a wider meaning is one thing, but that does not actually make it so. For example, I can't declare myself a gibbon and expect others to accept my redefinition of 'gibbon', regardless of any real or perceived similarities I might, or might not, have to said primate.

THANK YOU for the second opinion, Big D.

Sorry Psychokitty, I'm afraid you're wrong through and through on this subject. If I may boil it down to terms that you can comprehend, I KNOW you are wrong because I KNOW I am correct. It is much better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. You have officially removed all of my doubt.

DarkLadyNyara
12-24-2007, 05:51 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You just saved me several paragraphs of semi-coherent ranting on the subject.

Værn
12-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Manus wins. :love:
Was that just a statement, or were you suggesting it as an oxymoron?

Old Manus
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Touché

Psychokitty
12-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Where did the matter come from that resulted from the "Big Bang Therom?" What put it there and how did it get there? What was there before the so-called "Explosion that started the Universe?" How do we know that there are not other dimentions?You almost inadvertently answered your own question there. Some current theories/speculation about the ultimate origin of the universe (i.e. the origins of everything that formed the matter and energy unleashed in the Big Bang) involve other dimensions.

I know that alot of my "oxymorons" aren't oxymorons, and I know that people probibly won't accept my theory on it, but I can still stretch the meanings of things if I want. Plus, I think the world could do without another critic. I'll just call my stretch of an Oxymoron an Oxybearron, after part of my last name "Bearrow."

THANK YOU for the second opinion, Big D.

Sorry Psychokitty, I'm afraid you're wrong through and through on this subject. If I may boil it down to terms that you can comprehend, I KNOW you are wrong because I KNOW I am correct. It is much better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. You have officially removed all of my doubt.

Then why did you speak and ruin the fun of this thread for everyone? Why didn't you just remain silent about it or just PM me to start a private Theolgical debate about it rather then open it up here and ruin the whole thread? It was a nice, fun thread before you and Big D ruined it, and besides, arn't you supoosed to Poetically Pathetic? Oxymorons take place in the Poetry section of Lititure, not the Prose section, and I do ask to be corrected if I'm wrong about the catigory that Oxymorons fit into.

Momiji
12-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Um...first of all, you ruined your own thread with your blind stupidity. And don't go pinning the blame on Big D, either. He IS right after all, unlike you.

By the way, oxymorons occur in both prose and poetry. If you were actually knowledgeable of the subject, you would know that.

Furthermore, I did not ruin this thread. You're just pissed that I'm saying you're wrong in front of everyone else. Grow the hell up or shut the hell up, PLEASE.

Quindiana Jones
12-26-2007, 04:43 PM
PP, though correct, will probably get a smack on the back of the hand for that.

I've decided to call guns medical devices. They're very effective at curing all diseases, therefore they must be good and useful and wonderful objects of peace and happiness. :rolleyes2

Making up a definition doesn't mean your definition is correct.

Psychokitty
12-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I know my def wasn't correct, all I was saying was that I like to bend some rules sometimes. I knew some wern't and I thank you for correcting