PDA

View Full Version : for all of you that hate ff7...

leader of mortals
12-03-2007, 12:29 AM
what do you really hate

jammi567
12-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Both. I hate the overhypement over a game that is simply average. :eek:
Shocking, isn't it? :rolleyes2

Yar
12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
At first I hated the game.

Then when I stumbled across the fanbase I hated them too.

Now I'm kinda indifferent about the game.

leader of mortals
12-03-2007, 08:47 PM

hype would be fanbase

Vermachtnis
12-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Fanbase, everytime Sephiroth's or Cloud's name comes up, I want to kill the internet.

cloud21zidane16
12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I feel sorry for VII, but the fanbase can be annoying:p

jammi567
12-03-2007, 09:25 PM

hype would be fanbase
Please don't try and correctme on this. The point is, i hate both the game and the fabase.

The fanbase much more then the game, but still.

PuPu
12-04-2007, 12:16 AM
I played and hated this game five years ago, long before I hated the fanbase or heard of the "FF7 hate bandwagon."

I don't necessarily hate every FF7 fan, just the ones that that say things like "sephiroth is so cool" and "all other ff's suck compared to VII."

Edit-

To the guy who quoted me on the fifth page: Yeah, it is indeed a typo. I guess you must feel pretty smart for being able to point that out. Nice double post, by the way.

ReloadPsi
12-04-2007, 12:18 AM
I like FF7 but have some contempt for a certain portion of the fanbase, few of whom seem to reside here fortunately.

Aerith's Knight
12-04-2007, 01:26 AM
i hate the non-female cosplay that people seem insisting on posting everywhere.. juck!

Crossblades
12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
I like the game. Not as much as the other FFs but still I like it. Now, the fanbase, I really hate them. Always saying FF VII is the best and refuse to play other FFs and whatnot. It drives me nuts >_>

Heath
12-04-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm not a fan of anyone who champions a particular game above all others and refuses to consider alternatives or is simply a bit too obsessed or keen to overrate a particular game, so certain sections of the FFVII fanbase irritate me. But that's not to say, for example, certain sections of the FFVIII or Halo fanbases don't irritate me or that all of the FFVII fanbase irritate me.

The game itself is particularly enjoyable and don't have a problem with it. You could even say I rather like it!

NeoCracker
12-04-2007, 03:54 AM
The Fanbase. I don't really hate the game.

EagleDelta1
12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
I love the game(but then again - I love all the FF games to some extent), but hate the narrow-minded fanbase that keeps complaining about the additional games that change what THEY believe the game was/should be.

Roto13
12-04-2007, 07:34 AM
Both. The game is simply blah and the fanbase is (often, but not always) made of people born after 1990 who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.

Slothy
12-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Both. The game is simply blah and the fanbase is (often, but not always) made of people born after 1990 who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.

I'll agree with Roto, except that I do like the game. I'm more than willing to admit it's over hyped though as it's not without quite a few flaws, chief among them being a poor translation that, I think, may actually make the story seem worse than it is at times.

Elly
12-04-2007, 02:05 PM
i love VII, VIII, X, X-2, & XII, i also love VI and prior (-III, i stil haven't played it, no NDS), i was born before 1980 and can't stand IX (honestly you can't call it a true FF when it's more like a tribute to the olodschool FFs), so age has little to nothing to do with it... anyway the thing i hate has got to be that fanbase that whines everytime their fan-fictions get ruined by new FFVII canon...

Christmas
12-04-2007, 03:58 PM
YOU NEED A REASON TO HATE?

Majaia
12-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Really?
- I was born in 1986
- Final Fantasy VI was my first RPG (for SNES)

Yet, somehow, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite RPG, let alone FF. Too bad it's not a 'REAL' one though...

who've never played a real Final Fantasy like VI or IX.

Everyone who likes FFVII more than VI or IX had better [Run away!] because the omnipotent Roto is going to strike them dead!

Edit by Psychotic: Hey there Majaia, please don't double post. Use the edit/delete button if you've got something else you'd like to say. Thanks!

Ultima Shadow
12-18-2007, 09:13 PM
None of those. FFVII is a good game, and I can't really be bothered to even care about its fanbase.

I do, however, hate all those stupid sequels (not because they "ruin FFVII", but because they simply suck).

VeloZer0
12-19-2007, 11:10 PM
No option for hating the people who hate the game because it's popular?

Kuldian
12-20-2007, 02:55 AM
I love the game. Actually, it's my favourite game of all times. About the fanbase, it's only annoying if you care and give it your attention. So my advise for you all who hate the fanbase, just simply ignore if and it won't bother you at all, really :)

The Crystal
12-20-2007, 03:02 AM
I love the game(but then again - I love all the FF games to some extent), but hate the narrow-minded fanbase that keeps complaining about the additional games that change what THEY believe the game was/should be.

Anyway the thing i hate has got to be that fanbase that whines everytime their fan-fictions get ruined by new FFVII canon...

No option for hating the people who hate the game because it's popular?

LunarWeaver
12-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Hmm, I know people that love it a lot and like the villain or the characters, but not this uber-rabid "I hate them all but VII" all you people are always talking about. In fact, I've seen more "Only VI is any good and I refuse to play any made after it" than anything. The snes era fanbase seems a lot more gung-ho to me. =3

auberginedreams
12-26-2007, 03:09 AM
Hmm, I know people that love it a lot and like the villain or the characters, but not this uber-rabid "I hate them all but VII" all you people are always talking about. In fact, I've seen more "Only VI is any good and I refuse to play any made after it" than anything. The snes era fanbase seems a lot more gung-ho to me. =3

QFT. IMO, the people who say " 2-D Final Fantasy is REAL Final Fantasy" and refuse to accept newer entries as quality games just because they have had massive success seem much more annoying ad elitist than the FFVII fanboys. Btw, my favorite is FVII, but I love all of the 2-D games as well, especially VI.

blackmage_nuke
12-26-2007, 04:06 AM

The snes era fanbase dont have enough fans so what few elitists it has must act like extra elitist in order to keep it going and make up for the lower numbers. However the FFVII is more annoying due to it's vast quantities rather than the quality of it's elitism.

Kai McCloud
01-03-2008, 08:13 PM
What are all of you bableing about. Never have I seen this so called "FF VII rules, all others drool" mentality. D.O.B: 10/08/87 first FF played was VII, and yes, VII is my favorite. But I own/have played I, II, III, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2 and XII. But no matter how many times i play other FFs my heart still lies with VII. And before you try to throw insults at me, maybe you should look at yourselves. Fair enough you hate the game, but listen to yourselves, bashing people who like a game that you dont. It's all opinion, and in my opinion you need to stop waisting time having a go at, and insulting a huge amount of, people world wide and go and live your lives. You have your FFs I'll have mine.

Big D
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM

Anyway the thing i hate has got to be that fanbase that whines everytime their fan-fictions get ruined by new FFVII canon...

No option for hating the people who hate the game because it's popular?Quote Pyramid Doom, but it's a pretty good summary of how I feel on the matter.

I asked for FFVII and got it for my 16th birthday. That was in 1999. It was my first FF, and it remains my solid favourite. I've played all the numbered Final Fantasies from IV to XII, and enjoyed each to a certain extent. It's just that none, in my opinion, has rivalled VII for the complexity and diversity of the characters, and the complexity and diversity of the plot, which borrows from all my favourite genres and combines them into something epic:D

I neither ask nor expect others to agree, and I often understand and even share the oft-cited criticisms of FFVII. And its fanbase. Anyone who thinks Cloud is a good hero because of his strength and his huge sword is missing the point, just like anyone who feels that Sephiroth is a good villain because he's 'teh uber kwel badass'.

smittenkitten
01-04-2008, 12:11 AM
I hate that some people hate FFVII. :whimper:

Odaisé Gaelach
01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm playing through Final Fantasy VII for the first time. It's a decent game, but neither the story nor the gameplay has really engaged me yet. I really don't care about the characters or the story at all, and some of the interactive things (like having to press a button at the right time, or sneaking past the guards in the Shinra building) are interesting for a moment, then become annoying.

But, as a friend of mine would lament, "You haven't even gotten out of Midgar yet!" So I'll keep on playing. Maybe it'll get better... :)

As for the fanbase... well, I've never really paid any attention to it.

Big D
01-04-2008, 02:04 AM
But, as a friend of mine would lament, "You haven't even gotten out of Midgar yet!" So I'll keep on playing. Maybe it'll get better... :)Indeed:) The story hasn't even started to begin yet...

Odaisé Gaelach
01-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Indeed:) The story hasn't even started to begin yet...

Well, daggum. I've just left Midgar now... Yippie ki-yay, world map! :D

Big D
01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
FFVII's world map is quite a unique one, I feel. Not the geography - it's the generic 'two continents and a north pole' deal - but the way it's presented. If you have the camera down behind Cloud, rather than the overhead view, you can't easily see what's up ahead. There's a real sense of discovery and journey, rather than having your next destination plainly visible from a long way off. Also, the scale of the mountains and terrain makes it seem more like you're travelling through a new location, rather than just moving a little guy across a map.

Zora
01-04-2008, 04:09 AM
Eh, both. The characters are all so boring (Sephiroth is the only one who stands out), and the game isn't exactly fun. The translation isn't that great. The non-battle graphics just aren't great, although I can tolerate the inbattle graphics.

The fanbase is really bad. Although I hate the fanbase MORE, making it go away will not change my opinion on VII. Honestly though, I hate the FFX fanbase more. Most of the fanbase seems oblivious to the games obvious flaws... (they acknowledge some per se, but don't necessarily acknowledge it as a flaw). FFVII fanbase is also bad, but I don't find it AS bad, except for the "FFVII is good and others suck people."

Originally when I got VII I was expecting a solid title. It wasn't that. I knew the fanbase LONG before that (got it last July). So honestly it wasn't the fanbase.

Roto13
01-04-2008, 04:13 AM

Really?
- I was born in 1986

Yet, somehow, Final Fantasy VII is my favorite RPG, let alone FF. Too bad it's not a 'REAL' one though...

Everyone who likes FFVII more than VI or IX had better [Run away!] because the omnipotent Roto is going to strike them dead!
I might strike YOU dead just for being an idiot. You missed a very key part of my post. Go back and read it again, see if you can wrap your puny brain around the entire thing.

(And how can IX NOT be considered a "real" Final Fantasy when it's a tribute to the old ones?)

Zora
01-04-2008, 04:20 AM

Really?
- I was born in 1986

I might strike YOU dead just for being an idiot. You missed a very key part of my post. Go back and read it again, see if you can wrap your puny brain around the entire thing.

(And how can IX NOT be considered a "real" Final Fantasy when it's a tribute to the old ones?)

One thing I dislike is how the anti-fanbase keeps on referring to FFVII as not being a "true" FF game. Aside from some of the character's weapons, a few towns (Midgar in particular), it actually isn't THAT different. At the very least, if you count FFVI was a real FF, you should count FFVII too. To be frank, FFVI's industrial theme was far more persistent than FFVII's future theme.

Oh, and I am not referring to you Roto, but the people you quoted (among others)

Mr Cactuar
01-04-2008, 06:42 AM
I find it funny how FF fans fight more amongst themselves then they fight with fans of other game series.

I can see where alot of the people who dislike FFVII are coming from about the fanbase. Hell, FFVII is my =1st fave game, next to FFX. But there a certainly a hell of alot of fans from each of those games that piss me off. Immature people, who just completely aid the points that VI-IX fans are trying to say about the fanbases. I think that the only reason why VII and X have such large numbers of fans is because they were both the 1st FF to come on their respective console.

I think I'd like VI IX, of what people have said, with good reasons, they sound like good games. And I don't judge an FF fan on which one they like best. When it all comes down to it one may be an amazing game to some people whereas another may not. It's tastes at the works.

Nifleheim7
01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
I think that many first generation FF fans also hate the game and its fanbase because the series moved from Nintendo to Sony and to many Nintendo fans that was another reason for the N64's downfall.The phenomenal success of the game fueled the hatred even more.
I can imagine today,that many Sony fanboys would also really hate FFXIII if it was moved to 360,even before they even had a chance to play it...

Heath
01-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I think that many first generation FF fans also hate the game and its fanbase because the series moved from Nintendo to Sony and to many Nintendo fans that was another reason for the N64's downfall.The phenomenal success of the game fueled the hatred even more.
I can imagine today,that many Sony fanboys would also really hate FFXIII if it was moved to 360,even before they even had a chance to play it...

The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII. It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64. I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'

Takara
01-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay game, but part of the fanbase is extremely annoying. I know no game is perfect, and they all have their annoying fan, but the fact FFVII is so popular means that its annoying fans are more numerous than, say, the annoying fans of FFVIII. Heck, I can't stand the annoying fans of my favourite FF either, so it's not a matter of me hating FFVII.

And I have to agree with whoever said the FFVII sequels suck. Those I've played were major suckage, so I make it a point to ignore their existence. Kinda like FFX-2. I don't care if it's canon, I choose not to acknowledge it.

Nifleheim7
01-07-2008, 02:22 AM
The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII.
Agreed.

It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64.
Agreed again.

I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'
I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).
But i still believe that it was something that really hurt the long time FF fan more than it actually hurt N64 itself.
Final fantasy wasn't so mainstream back then (except Japan of course) and it was secretly enjoyed by an "elite" few in North America (FFVII was the first FF release in Europe).This "elite" hated FFVII's success because they didn't want their precious series to be discovered by other fans.And especially by a 'new' generation of (PS) gamers who knew almost nothing about the history of the series.
As i said before,it will be the same today if the series moves from Sony to MS.The Sony fanboys will hate the game (and the new fanbase) even before they play it.

Big D
01-07-2008, 02:59 AM
I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).I have some of the original US FFVII ads in old magazines - some of them specifically mention the 'disc versus cartridge' thing. Like this one ad with a picture of the Junon cannon with the heading, "Someone please get the people who make cartridge games a cigarette and a blindfold." The ad claimed that if FFVII were made for cartridge, it'd retail for around $1200. No idea how true that estimate would or would not have been back in 1997...

Serapy
01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
I find it funny how FF fans fight more amongst themselves then they fight with fans of other game series.

I can see where alot of the people who dislike FFVII are coming from about the fanbase. Hell, FFVII is my =1st fave game, next to FFX. But there a certainly a hell of alot of fans from each of those games that piss me off. Immature people, who just completely aid the points that VI-IX fans are trying to say about the fanbases. I think that the only reason why VII and X have such large numbers of fans is because they were both the 1st FF to come on their respective console.

I think I'd like VI IX, of what people have said, with good reasons, they sound like good games. And I don't judge an FF fan on which one they like best. When it all comes down to it one may be an amazing game to some people whereas another may not. It's tastes at the works.

I hope you won't be mad if I said FF7 = The best FF game ever.

leader of mortals
01-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I wonder how many people hate ff6 because of the fanbase too, because its really the same thing the ff7 lovers are doing to you. Its the same thing, so think about that ff7 bashers.

Aerith's Knight
01-11-2008, 01:12 PM
The N64 had some brilliant games for it even without FFVII.
Agreed.

It didn't really have any decent RPGs for it which is probably the one respect in which FFVII being for the PlayStation hurt the N64.
Agreed again.

I think it'd be a bit unfair to suggest that FFVII was a reason for the N64's 'downfall.'
I said it was one of the reasons and of course we all know that there were other more important ones (cartridge vs compact disc).
But i still believe that it was something that really hurt the long time FF fan more than it actually hurt N64 itself.
Final fantasy wasn't so mainstream back then (except Japan of course) and it was secretly enjoyed by an "elite" few in North America (FFVII was the first FF release in Europe).This "elite" hated FFVII's success because they didn't want their precious series to be discovered by other fans.And especially by a 'new' generation of (PS) gamers who knew almost nothing about the history of the series.
As i said before,it will be the same today if the series moves from Sony to MS.The Sony fanboys will hate the game (and the new fanbase) even before they play it.

Thats so sad.. and i mean as in pathetic!!

are you serious.. do fanboys act that way?

I smurfing hate all fanboys. I have every console(except commodor and such) except for the ps3.. and thats not because im a freaking fanboy, but because its expensive.

for the love of god people.. if this is true, then where the hell are we heading?. elite group.. Id actually kill myself if I thought like that.

I actually despise exclusives.. games should be played by everyone.

Vivisteiner
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
I like the game, I hate the fanbase because they caused all those annoying FFVII spin-offs instead of the FFIX remake that should have happened.

Momiji
01-12-2008, 01:49 AM
The game is simply not that great. It's glitchy, slow, and the storyline kind of bores me. The fanbase is much worse though. I see no reason to call FFVII the best, and the main reason many base their opinion on it is because it has Sephiroth in it.

Note: Kuja was a much more evil guy, and therefore cooler. Following this logic, FFIX is one of my favorites. That, and I loved the storyline and the characters.

Bolivar
01-12-2008, 02:16 AM

Okay, I just have to say - I thought I remember a mod claiming that we're not supposed to make personal vicious attacks on anyone on these forums? Do you really believe someone to be an idiot with a puny brain because they point out the simple-mindedness of your post?

Let me guess, the "key" part of your point was "often, not always". Well let me ask you a couple of questions:

Being that the game was released in 1997
1) how many 7-year olds and younger were apart of the huge fan base that gave this game its global acclaim
and
2) how many writers for gaming publications, which gave the game universal praise at the time, do you believe were 7 and under?

I love how the bashers of this game can't help themselves but make stereotyping assumptions about why people love this game for false reasons, believing in their narrowminded view that NO ONE could POSSIBLY have legitimate reasons for liking it. "They were 7-years old at the time"/"It was their first FF"/"It was their first RPG"/"Children are pre-disposed to like characters like Cloud"/etc etc etc etc....

All of which have no basis, considering a) plenty of people, including many of this forum, disprove it and b) there's no possible way you could ever confirm it to be true.

Aerith's Knight - yes, Nintendo fanboyism does account for alot of the hate this game gets. The Sony/Nintendo console war was much more divisive than the ones since. At the time, it was seen that N64 was superior in every way, and then came FFVII, itself being a manifestation of the reasons why it wasn't.

FFVII fanbase is also bad, but I don't find it AS bad, except for the "FFVII is good and others suck people"

This statement has been made multiple times, and others before me have echoed this sentiment:

Where are the fans who talk like this? Where are the nonsensical fanboys who like this game solely for Sephiroth and cutscenes? Where are the ones who go as far to "hate" the other FF's simply because they're not VII? And please don't say "chrisfan" or whoever on this forum, because more than likely, he was responding to the relentless barages of SNES-wrath that he probably received on a daily basis for the simple fact that he likes it.

In my experience on this forum, the only people childish and emotional enough to actually have "hate" for another video game are the FFVI-elitists who can't shake the memories of crying themselves to sleep while clutching to their Super Nintendo in the fall and winter of 1997.

cloud21zidane16
01-12-2008, 02:52 AM
The game is simply not that great. It's glitchy, slow, and the storyline kind of bores me. The fanbase is much worse though. I see no reason to call FFVII the best, and the main reason many base their opinion on it is because it has Sephiroth in it.

Note: Kuja was a much more evil guy, and therefore cooler. Following this logic, FFIX is one of my favorites. That, and I loved the storyline and the characters.

Do you mean slow as in loading times?:confused: i dont think they could have made it any better for the time
I agree that Kuja was a good villain though;)

Del Murder
01-12-2008, 02:55 AM
roto, watch the insults.

Hazzard
01-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I LUV IT ITS THE BESTEST GAME IN THE WORLD!!! CLOUD RULEZ LIKE SOCKS ON BEAVERS AND TOTALLY IS HAWT!!

SEPHI IS A REAL GANGSTA WITH HIS 9 METRES SWORD WOOHHH!!!

Roto13
01-12-2008, 05:54 PM
stuff

tl;dr

Momiji
01-12-2008, 10:16 PM

Do you mean slow as in loading times?:confused: i dont think they could have made it any better for the time
I agree that Kuja was a good villain though;)

Slow as in loading times AND the progression of the story.

Wolf Kanno
01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't necessarily hate VII. But apparently cause I prefer VI and the older FFs and can't seem to recognize that VII was a "revolution that transcended the rpg genre" makes me an elitist fanboy and a VII hater on the VII hate band wagon.

I liked the game but in terms of characters and story, I wasn't blown away by it. There were better games released before it and better games released after it. I just don't believe in giving false credit to a game I don't feel deserves it.

I love its world and music, the concepts and ideas are interesting but not executed as well as I would like. The materia system is fun but like all FFs after V, it needs some balancing especially end game wise. The cast really doesn't do much for me except for the villains, though I do feel Sephiroth is a bit of a disappointment and I especially hate how he's changed over the years thanks to AC, KH, and the compilations. Its still a solid game but I don't feel its truly mind blowing. Just another good game in a string of good titles released at the time.

Bolivar
01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
stuff

tl;dr

Summary: the universal acclaim it received in '97 debunks your "born-after-1997" hypothesis, as well as others on the long list of sociology theses provided on why the game was such a hit.

Tallulah
01-13-2008, 12:41 AM
In the immortal words of Spoony, "I don't necessarily hate Final Fantasy VII; I just hate the people who obsess over it."

Hehe, creepy fanboys... :p

Nifleheim7
01-13-2008, 12:55 AM
are you serious.. do fanboys act that way?

As you can clearly see in this thread,they do.

Hazzard
01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey, why'd my post get ignored? It clearly contained significant meaning to it, and a well put-across opinion, nevertheless.

cloud21zidane16
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Hey, why'd my post get ignored? It clearly contained significant meaning to it, and a well put-across opinion, nevertheless.

It was so perfect there was just no arguing back:D

Aerith's Knight
01-13-2008, 09:27 PM

FINE.. you want a battle

WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE SOCKS ON THE BEAVER!!! YOUR SO WRONG!!! ITS DEFENIATLY SHOES NO QUESTION!!!!!!!!

leader of mortals
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM

FINE.. you want a battle

WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE SOCKS ON THE BEAVER!!! YOUR SO WRONG!!! ITS DEFENIATLY SHOES NO QUESTION!!!!!!!!

shoes + socks or else you get sore feet!

Kanshisha
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Ever heard some kid say

" Omg! cloud is so cool, one day ima gonna' be cloud! "

And all your expression just fades into a simple - -.-" then a ><" then:

" Kid! WTF are you on about?! it's just a bloody game!! " you say as you get the boy's Ps1 and throw it on the ground..

Now THAT is just Fan base that just goes too far.

Goldenboko
01-14-2008, 02:20 PM
I don't HATE FFVII. I don't particularly love it either. I had an okay time with it. (which means its obviously not first on my FF list).

And I don't hate ALL of the FFVII fanbase..... just most of it :O

Darkness2003
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
There really is no reason to hate a game, just don't play it, and about the fan base, now tell me you at least one of you that posted that you all hate it because of the "fan base" that you all don't go all crazy when someone mentions something that you love? Do you care if people hate you for going crazy all the time? No, I don't think so, so think about it the other way too.

Bahamut2000X
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't HATE FFVII. I don't particularly love it either. I had an okay time with it.

And I don't hate ALL of the FFVII fanbase..... just most of it :O

demondude
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I like to blame Vincent for the sudden wave of emo's.

Hazzard
01-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Haha, I defrayed a thread. That was a mission personally set by moi as a member of the revolution. Haha...

No, seriously. I can't reason with those who frown upon VII, maybe they dislike Cloud because he's such a complex character, and that the story can sort of be confusing at times. Oh well, I understood it and liked it. Buzzahhh!!!

Goldenboko
01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
There really is no reason to hate a game, just don't play it, and about the fan base, now tell me you at least one of you that posted that you all hate it because of the "fan base" that you all don't go all crazy when someone mentions something that you love? Do you care if people hate you for going crazy all the time? No, I don't think so, so think about it the other way too.

I don't think thats the problem.

The problem comes with several other things.
A. People who proclaim, "FFVII is the only good FF"
B. "Sephy fans" I have a friend who is a prime example of this. They've barely played the game (in some cases they even haven't), and they go around continually bringing up how awesome Sephiroth is, even in places that really don't call for it. My friend's only watched Advent Children, and he's always like "EVERYONE KNOWZ SEPHY'S TEH COOLEST". It makes me cringe because its so annoying.

leader of mortals
01-14-2008, 10:10 PM
you know there are people who say 6 is the only good ff

Goldenboko
01-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Its not the person saying "this is the best." or "this is the only one I liked."

Its the way much of the fanbase goes at it.

Heath
01-15-2008, 01:42 PM
you know there are people who say 6 is the only good ff

I don't think that the VI-fanbase is as large or as vocal as the FFVII one and that's why there tends to be a lot of ill feelings harboured towards VII rather than VI. They're both great games and I'd be hard pushed to pick between the two, having said that.

Mr Cactuar
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
B. "Sephy fans" I have a friend who is a prime example of this. They've barely played the game (in some cases they even haven't), and they go around continually bringing up how awesome Sephiroth is, even in places that really don't call for it. My friend's only watched Advent Children, and he's always like "EVERYONE KNOWZ SEPHY'S TEH COOLEST". It makes me cringe because its so annoying.

God damn these people piss me off. They don't release that by acting like that they are just demeaning his character.

leader of mortals
01-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I really cant stand sephy fans... badass character, not too great a villian

scrumpleberry
01-16-2008, 11:05 PM
I did truly enjoy what I played of VII, (just up until Junon, which most people consider to be boring, and then the game broke...), but the majority fanbase seem pretty much brainwashed to me. No 'fence, I appreciate there are intelligent VII fans, but he majority really tick me off.

Dark Eternal Knight
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM

God damn these people piss me off. They don't release that by acting like that they are just demeaning his character.

QFT.

Personally, I love the game. But I DO NOT go around shoving it everyone's face and telling them their opinions suck.

If there was ever a number reason for people to hate FFVII, aside from someone not liking the graphics or story or what have you, it's the extreme disrespectful fanboyism. As much as they want to proclaim their love for FFVII at the top of a mountain, they only succeed in giving FFVII a bad name.

toad626
02-17-2008, 04:57 AM
7 is good. Really good. But so are other Final Fantasies. 7 is in the middle of my list for best Final Fantasies. So I hate the fan boys. I still love the game despite being inferior to other titles in the series though. And it's far from sucking. The fanboys only exist because it's the first one they played and they spent a ton of man hours leveling Cloud to 99 (dorks). That they have to spout off their achievement and brag how much better the game was than the others.

Forsaken Lover
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
This sums it all up for me.

YouTube - Final Fantasy VII Review (Part 6) (CENSORED) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zHbNzEGWA)

toad626
02-19-2008, 12:05 AM

YouTube - Final Fantasy VII Review (Part 6) (CENSORED) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zHbNzEGWA)

That was the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Especially that part about Yuffie being a Ninja.lol.

Avarice-ness
02-19-2008, 12:19 AM
FF7 was actually one of my favorite games for the first three years of the release.

Slowly but surely the fanbase killed the game for me. :mad2: :mad2:

Bolivar
02-19-2008, 01:15 AM
FF7 was actually one of my favorite games for the first three years of the release.

somehow i find that hard to believe. (but i'll believe it)

Momiji
02-19-2008, 02:52 AM

For once, ONCE, you post something that I found not only mildly amusing, but that video had so much WIN in it I don't know where to start on how great it was. I especially loved how he took that random shot at Naruto, which goes hand in hand-- I mean, why stop at nitpicking a lousy game--shoot down the crappy anime while you're at it! I love it. I absolutely love it.

Avarice-ness
02-19-2008, 04:04 AM

somehow i find that hard to believe. (but i'll believe it)

I don't see how that's hard to believe. After beating the game I was going to make a page just about Chocobo racing statistics because I actually kept a little book of which of my chocobo's were the strongest.
I still nearly have the entire strategy guide memorized because I'd read it when ever I wasn't able to play the game. The guides covered in sticky note tabs for easy page goings.

I was a fangirl of FFVI when I was 9 but then after I moved when I was 11 I didn't play FFVI again until I was like 16. Between 13 (when FFVII came out) and getting ahold of FFVI again, FFVIII was the perfect game for me.

I didn't become bitter towards fans til about 2 years ago, because I don't understand the concept of a game being over 9000 times more popular fanbase wise over 10 years after it's original release. Not to mention, most the fans are like 18 and under which tends to make them the fans where they're all "OMG, LYKE SEPHIROTH IS THE COOLEST" and yeah, those weren't really the fans I started with, so I'd rather end my love for FF7 with them and not have to deal with them when I don't have too.

Big D
02-19-2008, 05:55 AM

YouTube - Final Fantasy VII Review (Part 6) (CENSORED) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0zHbNzEGWA)That was bloody hilarious in places. I love FFVII and appreciate the spinoff, but that was a great piece of humour there. I especially liked the Cait Sith description, Cloud's physique critique, A-Team sequence, and and the lambaste of the hentai-freaks.

Sephitachi7
02-20-2008, 08:20 AM

For once, ONCE, you post something that I found not only mildly amusing, but that video had so much WIN in it I don't know where to start on how great it was. I especially loved how he took that random shot at Naruto, which goes hand in hand-- I mean, why stop at nitpicking a lousy game--shoot down the crappy anime while you're at it! I love it. I absolutely love it.

Everyone's is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think you've even watched an episode of Naruto by the way you're talking. Man the story is brilliant and unpredictable unlike many other animes (DBZ).

BTW the video was pretty funny.

Sephitachi7
02-20-2008, 08:21 AM

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think you've even watched an episode of Naruto by the way you're talking. Man the story is brilliant and unpredictable unlike many other animes (DBZ).

Renatus
03-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I played and hated this game five years ago, long before I hated the fanbase or heard of the "FF7 hate bandwagon."

I don't necessarily hate every FF7 fan, just the ones that that say things like "sephiroth is so cool" and "all other ff's suck comared to VII."

comared?:confused:

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think you've even watched an episode of Naruto by the way you're talking. Man the story is brilliant and unpredictable unlike many other animes (DBZ).

Naruto's still crappy compared to DBZ. By the way you talk, you never watched an anime with a good storyline, the american version of DBZ is censored and childish.:mog:

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

toad626
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE] Naruto's still crappy compared to DBZ. By the way you talk, you never watched an anime with a good storyline, the american version of DBZ is censored and childish.:mog:

This will be a little off topic so I'm only going to say it once and am not coming back to the topic to argue. I f-n hate all anime. I'm so sick of all these nerds trying to get into Japanese culture and act Japanese. The hell with it. Most of us are American, turn that crappy badly written/badly translated unrealistic stuff off and turn on the The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park. American cartoons. DBZ and Naruto are both extremely retarded and anyone that watches it outside of Japan needs to find something better on tv. You are all now dumber for watching a single episode of any Anime show. And yes, I have seen some, I tried to get into it one point, but found it too lame and not worth anything. The closest I will ever get to anime now is the Chrono series, and Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest is ok, but not great. Anime television go back to Japan where you belong. So we don't have nerds like these 2 arguing which is good anime when it's all a pile of crap. You two take your lame arguments of equally retarded anime shows somewhere else and lets get back to the other topic.

Momiji
03-12-2008, 01:20 AM

Everyone's is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think you've even watched an episode of Naruto by the way you're talking. Man the story is brilliant and unpredictable unlike many other animes (DBZ).

Yes, I have sat through Naruto just to see why the hell everyone liked it so much. I hated every damn minute of it. It was predictable, annoying, and I wished I could have fast-forwarded through the episode to get to some of the action scenes (the series' only redeeming point). Other than that, the story was dull, the characters were so horribly cliché, and the dialogue sucked. Shall I continue? I can go on...

But I do agree with the DBZ part. I never did like anything from the Dragon Ball series except for the very first series (Goku as a child).

This will be a little off topic so I'm only going to say it once and am not coming back to the topic to argue. I f-n hate all anime. I'm so sick of all these nerds trying to get into Japanese culture and act Japanese. The hell with it. Most of us are American, turn that crappy badly written/badly translated unrealistic stuff off and turn on the The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park. American cartoons. DBZ and Naruto are both extremely retarded and anyone that watches it outside of Japan needs to find something better on tv. You are all now dumber for watching a single episode of any Anime show. And yes, I have seen some, I tried to get into it one point, but found it too lame and not worth anything. The closest I will ever get to anime now is the Chrono series, and Kingdom Hearts. Dragon Quest is ok, but not great. Anime television go back to Japan where you belong. So we don't have nerds like these 2 arguing which is good anime when it's all a pile of crap. You two take your lame arguments of equally retarded anime shows somewhere else and lets get back to the other topic.

Uh no, I have to seriously disagree. Anime usually has a much better storyline compared to American cartoons, not to mention it doesn't look like it was drawn by an 8 year old child. There is character and story development as well. I find American cartoons to be dull, repetitive, and horribly unfunny when humor is the main objective of said shows. There is often no character development and no story in American cartoons as well, especially when each 25-minute show is different from the last. The Simpsons is boring, Family Guy copies the Simpsons to the point that it has to be some form of plagiarism, and South Park...well, I guess South Park is okay. You say we get dumber from anime-- but are you saying the retarded drivel made in America is any better? Because I think you are very wrong.

You may not have noticed, but you are in a forum where the majority of the members happen to be nerds (and many are pretty damn proud of it), and a good percent of those are anime fans as well.

Goldenboko
03-12-2008, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE] Naruto's still crappy compared to DBZ. By the way you talk, you never watched an anime with a good storyline, the american version of DBZ is censored and childish.:mog:

o.O

I fail to see the need to attack an entire fanbase. I like some Anime, and I don't want to act Japanese. No, I feel that I act like a dirty, fat, American often. But I fail to see how like a show that just so happens to be an anime outside of Japan as anything bad.

Cloudane
03-12-2008, 02:23 PM
Not really sure where Naruto fits into this thread. If anything I guess it's quite similar to the Final Fantasy series as a whole in that it's fairly mainstream and popular, and in my opinion both of them are popular because they're good, rather than being rubbish because they're popular which is a viewpoint I see only too often regarding anything that sells well.

For the record I'm a fan (not a fanboy, those are the more obnoxious breed) of FFVII. And Naruto. I can see where y'all are coming from, some products have worse fans than others.... I'm also a fan of Macintosh computers but I can't stand Mac fanboys either, and believe me a huge percentage of Mac fans can be categorised as the more obnoxious "fanboy" breed.

The issue is childishness, "Mine is better than yoouuuurs neener neener". It goes hand-in-hand with console gaming of course because a lot of actual kids are involved. That's what I think people find annoying when we get a little older. But wait, isn't this just an issue of age/maturity difference?

Wanting to "be Cloud" or thinking Sephiroth is teh cool3st is most likely just kids being kids. Hell I was about 14 when FFVII first came out and I was kind of like that too (I grew out of it)... let them have their fantasies, surely that's why they named this game the way they did :)

When you learn a little more about life itself and the story presented in such games, you realise that being a messed-up 21 year old with major memory, identity and emotional problems who has watched close friends die isn't such an attractive prospect after all, but what's the rush to get to that point? Let the young enjoy fantasizing about being Cloud while they still can :)

Whether it's being a blind fanboy and saying that all FF games suck compared to FFVII, or being a Hater and saying that it's "lame" or whatever with no real justification, is all just an issue of childishness. Intelligent discussion should respect the pros and cons of each side.

Best game ever? I thought so, until FFX came out. Now they're equals.

Sephitachi7
03-14-2008, 07:19 PM

I don't necessarily hate every FF7 fan, just the ones that that say things like "sephiroth is so cool" and "all other ff's suck comared to VII."

comared?:confused:

Naruto's still crappy compared to DBZ. By the way you talk, you never watched an anime with a good storyline, the american version of DBZ is censored and childish.:mog:

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post.

I've seen the japanese DBZ and of course I'm a fan of DBZ but it was still very predictable. Get stronger defeat new stronger bad guy. That was basically it. Regardless of it being the cut or uncut version the storyline was the same. And I've also watched many other anime, some with a good storyline and some with not so good of a story.

As for Momiji, um Naruto's storyline cliche and predictable? Where else have you seen a storyline that in anyway reflects Naruto's? UM.... nowhere... that's right. If you have please give me specifics. I challenge you to. Maybe you watched like the first 3 episodes or some fillers, but the storyline can not be compared to anything else out there because it is just THAT good. I know people are entitled to their own opinions and to say you don't like Naruto for your own reasons is fine. But to say the storyline is predictable is just ignorant and stupid. Like Cloudane said, it is popular because of its greatness. It is the very reason why a series becomes so popular. So predictable? Cliche? Don't think so buddy but good try. Just keep on watching DB.

Momiji
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
As for Momiji, um Naruto's storyline cliche and predictable? Where else have you seen a storyline that in anyway reflects Naruto's? UM.... nowhere... that's right. If you have please give me specifics. I challenge you to. Maybe you watched like the first 3 episodes or some fillers, but the storyline can not be compared to anything else out there because it is just THAT good. I know people are entitled to their own opinions and to say you don't like Naruto for your own reasons is fine. But to say the storyline is predictable is just ignorant and stupid. Like Cloudane said, it is popular because of its greatness. It is the very reason why a series becomes so popular. So predictable? Cliche? Don't think so buddy but good try. Just keep on watching DB.

Wow, for someone who claims to be 21, you argue like a child.

First of all, read before you fucking rant. I said the characters were clichéd, not the story. I said the story was predictable and boring.

As for the characters, there's the stereotypical Naruto, the overconfident loudmouth character who has great aspirations despite lack of apparent skill. Then there's Sasuke, the typical angry character because he has a chip on his shoulder. Then there's Sakura, whose name is a cliché in and of itself, personality aside. Rock Lee-- typical screw-up with impossible standards for himself. And so on and so forth.

Second of all, where the hell IS the storyline? A good percentage of the series is filler. And what I suppose I saw of the storyline was dull and predictable.

And sorry, the reason it became so popular because it's violent yet kid-friendly enough to be shown during the times children are most likely to watch it. And it's generally the battle scenes that draw them to it. This is because-- like sex, violence sells as well, despite an uninteresting story and lack of interesting characters.

Please don't call me ignorant until you get your facts straight. And by the way, I don't watch DB either, but it's the only series within the series that doesn't suck so bad that it's impossible to watch.

I'm done posting here and I'm not going to post again. I suggest you do the same so this thread can go back on topic.

Brennan
03-14-2008, 10:15 PM
The... smurfin... fanbase :mad2: :mad2:

Mercen-X
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
FOR ANYONE HOPING TO CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION OF NARUTO COME HERE (http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/115482-naruto-awesome-opossum.html#post2445591). OTHERWISE RETURN TO THE MAIN TOPIC PLEASE.

Writ by Momiji:
:::I mean, why stop at nitpicking a lousy game--shoot down the crappy anime while you're at it!:

All anime is crappy. Although Appleseed and Advent Children were slightly better, but I think they fall under another genre. I like Naruto though. Mostly because I relate to Naruto and Sasuke in their individual attempts to reach their overall goals.

Sephitachi7
03-15-2008, 09:18 PM

Wow, for someone who claims to be 21, you argue like a child.

First of all, read before you smurfing rant. I said the characters were clichéd, not the story. I said the story was predictable and boring.

As for the characters, there's the stereotypical Naruto, the overconfident loudmouth character who has great aspirations despite lack of apparent skill. Then there's Sasuke, the typical angry character because he has a chip on his shoulder. Then there's Sakura, whose name is a cliché in and of itself, personality aside. Rock Lee-- typical screw-up with impossible standards for himself. And so on and so forth.

Second of all, where the hell IS the storyline? A good percentage of the series is filler. And what I suppose I saw of the storyline was dull and predictable.

And sorry, the reason it became so popular because it's violent yet kid-friendly enough to be shown during the times children are most likely to watch it. And it's generally the battle scenes that draw them to it. This is because-- like sex, violence sells as well, despite an uninteresting story and lack of interesting characters.

Please don't call me ignorant until you get your facts straight. And by the way, I don't watch DB either, but it's the only series within the series that doesn't suck so bad that it's impossible to watch.

I'm done posting here and I'm not going to post again. I suggest you do the same so this thread can go back on topic.

Please forgive me in advance for this post, Mercen.

So I argue like a child because I called you ignorant? It just doesn't make sense to me how it could be so predictable when it is something that has never before been seen. There are no stories that could even vaguely be compared with Naruto. It is interesting, exciting, and keeps you on your toes.

Your second argument is false. There are MANY, MANY anime that are much more violent than Naruto and at the same time kid-friendly. Yet, these don't even come close to the popularity of Naruto. Naruto is popular because it is VERY GOOD. People generally like things that are VERY GOOD. I don't know why it is so hard for you to understand this. It seems very obvious to me.

And I don't claim to be 21. I am 21. I don't know how old you are nor do I care. I don't plan to try to insult you based on your age. But the lack of intelligence you are showing is insulting to me and everyone here. My intention was not to turn this into something like this. You might have misinterpreted what I said. I didn't insult you, I said that what you had said was ignorant.

I'm not going to try to convince you to like Naruto. But if you outright say something is bad when many other people like it, you should also expect answers like this. Like you had said keep in mind the majority of people here are nerds who also like anime, and in turn Naruto. If you wish, people take your own advice and watch your words. Of course, you don't have to and that's the beauty of free speech. Cheers.

BTW I apologize to everyone for all this, and I will refrain from commeting about Naruto in this thread from now on.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-15-2008, 11:00 PM
All right children, settle down. We do NOT permit personal attacks on this site. Ever. Don't do it. Don't let me see it again.

Mercen-X
03-24-2008, 07:56 PM
People who make shows purely for the entertainment value without providing reason as to how it fits the story should die horrible deaths.

Final Fantasy is not Family Guy. You can't just cram it full of cool-looking ass-vomit. It decreases the story's value and takes away from the characters and environment. Suddenly, all you care about is a move that "looked cool" even though it obviously served no real purpose. People who accept this crap are just as bad as the people who shovel it and should be treated as such.

This is why I decided to make the attack "sound" relevant. Because no matter how defiant, fast, and showy something may be, it ends up looking stupid if it serves no real purpose. That's right folks! Omnislash V5 looked stupid. It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen, why? Because it apparently served no purpose. As if Cloud Strife himself knew that an audience was watching and so he decided to make this thing as showy as possible.

But maybe everyone agrees that my theory is too wild and maybe it's stupid in itself. Well, here's another one:

Knowing it'd be difficult to attack Sephiroth straight-up, Cloud decides it's best to attack from all directions. There. Simple and straightforward, right? Having all those swords floating around would sure be distracting and there's no way to know where Cloud is coming from or what exactly he plans to do with those swords.

But whatever... Advent Children is what it will be to everyone who thinks it is that. Ignorance is bliss, right?I had written a statement to make legitimate the V5 maneuver utilized in AC during the final battle between Cloud and Sephiroth. This was meant mostly for others who might've shared my opinion that it was ridiculous and should've been edited out.
Someone responded that I shouldn't have bothered because the move "looked cool" and that's all that mattered.
That's why my choice is fanbase.

chrisfffan
03-29-2008, 01:01 PM
haha this is funny, i think you know what my opinion is Final Fantasy 7 is one of the greatest games ever! who ever made this thread just wants to stir things up and get people wound up!

leader of mortals
03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
haha this is funny, i think you know what my opinion is Final Fantasy 7 is one of the greatest games ever! who ever made this thread just wants to stir things up and get people wound up!

actually I made this thread to prove that most people who say "I hate FF7" really hate the fanbase much more than the game. FF7 is my second favorite FF game(after 9)

Laddy
03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
FFVII is my favorite, which happens to be the fourth FF I played.

Yeah, FF is one of the best game series' in the world for reasons other than a single installment. But you cannot deny that every single game in the series, INCLUDING FF7, made it for what it is.

Kenshin IV
04-01-2008, 02:56 AM
The correct answer is the second one.

I'm just shocked people are actually admitting it.

Galvatron
04-03-2008, 01:55 AM
I hate the fanbase, but that doesn't make me ashamed to like the game. Mostly I just hate the fact that I've met people who have claimed to love FF7, but then I try to talk to them about it and it turns out they have only seen AC and never even played the game.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 02:17 AM
Hate the fans

But the game really isn't anything spectacular either.

I usually don't like coming into the later generation forums, because people always try to over analyze the game and such, and put more meaning into things then there needs to be. Like for FFVIII, I enjoyed the game, but I hate the discussions that go on for it. Same thing for this game really.

THE JACKEL

Kenshin IV
04-03-2008, 02:53 AM
You can say that about any of the games.

Or anyTHING, really.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 03:49 AM

Or anyTHING, really.

not really, I don't see much over analyzation of anything in the Nintendo era of games. People pretty much took things at face value.

THE JACKEL

Avarice-ness
04-03-2008, 04:00 AM

Or anyTHING, really.

not really, I don't see much over analyzation of anything in the Nintendo era of games. People pretty much took things at face value.

THE JACKAL

Agree'd.

I mean most things in the FF1-FF6 threads actually have to do with the game or things ingame like battles or weapons or favorite skills..

Where as, recently, in the FFVII-FFX forums there have been an increasing amount of theory threads. Granted I can account this ALOT too the whole ultimania guides, seeing as most FFVII "theory's" are based from what the guides say, but I personally think that what happened in the games is the one and only thing that happened and I disregard things like these books that came out 7 to 10 years after the games release.

Either way, the only kind of analyzing older games tend to have is something having to do with a characters background or something like that, for the older ones.. it's trying to find some deep meaningful theory that really means nothing.

Forsaken Lover
04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
One can overanalyze anything or simplify anything.

What Square did with the Playstation games is make the illusion of depth. I can go on and on about the quotes of Squall's toturous past and his emotional state and blah blah blah. That may seem like a lot of "depth" but what it is in reality is waffle to add to the character.

There is nothing iN Squall Leonheart or Tidus or Cloud Strife that sets them apart from any of the earlier heroes in terms of personality or character. They're all pretty standard for almost any work of fiction.

Cloudane
04-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I usually don't like coming into the later generation forums, because people always try to over analyze the game and such, and put more meaning into things then there needs to be.

You mean like studying a couple of shadows and a little nobbly bit on a wall and going on for about 15 pages insisting that it's the ghost of Zack? :p

Raebus
04-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I think AK proved that star wars and Final fantasy 7 were related in some ways, in that thread.

Kenshin IV
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM

Or anyTHING, really.

THE JACKAL

That's because you're a fanboy and blinded by fanboyism.

It's okay though, you're not the only one. Everyone is that way.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Or anyTHING, really.

THE JACKAL

That's because you're a fanboy and blinded by fanboyism.

It's okay though, you're not the only one. Everyone is that way.

No actually.

I prefer FFVI, it's probably my favorite FF, but I honestly couldn't play through it again. In fact, the only way I could replay any of the older FF games is if I had some incentive. But I actually just want to replay FFVIII and IX for some reason.

And I use to think FFVI was my favorite game, but after playing more and more games... it's not that spectacular to me anymore. Still my favorite FF though.

THE JACKEL

Kenshin IV
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
That doesn't make you not a fanboy.

The fact that you post on this forum, not to mention the fact that you think "older" games don't get over analyzed, makes you a fanboy.

ljkkjlcm9
04-03-2008, 09:18 PM
That doesn't make you not a fanboy.

The fact that you post on this forum, not to mention the fact that you think "older" games don't get over analyzed, makes you a fanboy.

understood
so liking the games enough to buy them when I own the system makes me a fanboy. I usually classify fanboys as the type that will buy a system just for a game. I never bought a playstation, only played FFIX on a friends, and FFVII and VIII on the PC. Have no desire to buy a system just to play the later installment of games. Roommate bought PSP just for God of War. Last roommate bought a Wii just for Smash Bros Brawl. Those I classify as fanboys.

And the reason i feel older games don't get over analyzed is simple. Look at the topics in their sections, and look at the topics in the later games sections. That's how it IS.

THE JACKEL

Kenshin IV
04-03-2008, 09:24 PM
I see a topic right on the front page of the Six section that asks if people have cried over it. I'm guessing your idea of "over analyzation" is as loose as your idea of what a fanboy is.

Mercen-X
04-03-2008, 10:33 PM
Agree'd.

I mean most things in the FF1-FF6 threads actually have to do with the game or things ingame like battles or weapons or favorite skills..

Where as, recently, in the FFVII-FFX forums there have been an increasing amount of theory threads. Granted I can account this ALOT too the whole ultimania guides, seeing as most FFVII "theory's" are based from what the guides say, but I personally think that what happened in the games is the one and only thing that happened and I disregard things like these books that came out 7 to 10 years after the games release.

Either way, the only kind of analyzing older games tend to have is something having to do with a characters background or something like that, for the older ones.. it's trying to find some deep meaningful theory that really means nothing.The games up to 6 were primarily for the diehards who loved gaming as a way to escape a boring life. They treated it as a hobby. Once 7 was released, it provided more space for people to actually think because in the post-6 generation, kids really didn't want to think about anything. I know I didn't. After playing 7, I suddenly found myself wondering about a lot of different things. These sometimes nonsensical theories that tend to clutter the "7-up" forums may seem out of place, but I believe it's healthy for gamers to express their pov's and get decent feedback.
But I do think some take it too far.

The fact that the games tend to make you think also adds replay value. Some may not realize it, but they end up playing through the game again to better understand things they didn't quite grasp the first time through.

Kenshin IV
04-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Now you're over analyzing. Games are played for fun now just as much as they were 10 years ago, and just as much as they were 20 years ago. The whole idea of what you take out of the game is entirely up to individual.

Randgris
04-18-2008, 04:28 PM
The game was good. But when you walk around wielding a ridiculously large sword, violet outfit, bleached your hair blonde and used 10,000 bottles of gel just to style it, it gets pretty annoying. WHy can't they just go like "oh FFVII that's a great game back then..." no more "oh did you know?... yada... yada... yada..." stuff.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
04-18-2008, 06:07 PM
To be blunt, them F***ing Final Fantasy VII Fanboys ruined it for me and my chances to even consider the game. >_>

Yeah, I voted for "Fanbase".

Mirage
04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
Fanbase. Also, disregarding a game/film/book/other media just cause some people like it very much seems pretty narrow minded.

Wolf Kanno
04-18-2008, 07:22 PM
For the "Over analyzing debate", good stories are written in a way to be enjoyed on many levels and I do feel that some level of analysis is needed to enjoy some of the games a bit. The problem is knowing what can and should be analyzed. I do feel the pre-VII FF have a fair share of elements that can be anaylized, plot holes and deeper meaning about the characters are all very plausible as well as minor background info (Lunarians influence on IV world, The pre-Ex-Death world of V, and the War of the Magi) but then there are stuff you shouldn't bother with... (Lunarian society, the lives of the warriors trapped in the crystals in V, and how the esper system logically works in VI).

The later games have these issues as well but they have more issues and I think its because the fans don't realize that they games were written to sound deep, when in fact its they are not really deep to begin with.. VII's Ultimania guide explains things pretty well and elements like Jenova and the Reunion are actally quite simple but fans like to make them out to be bigger than they really are. Other elements don't have enough info to really go into any factual analysis . Most specualtion I see anymore in the VII forums are trying to fit the Compliation into the main VII world but it escaps the fans logic that the Compilation wasn't written to compliment the original mythos, its just adding stuff they think the fans want. Sephiroth doesn't have cat eyes, or a single wing he can make appear when he wants, his mind is not so powerful it can take physical form and allows him to escape death even after the Lifestream extinguishes his very essence at the end of the original game. Aerith is dead, Zack is dead, their spirits don't haunt Cloud and their is no way they can get them back.

Time travel of VIII and the Metaphysics of X are prime examples of what I mean. If you look at them from a logical point of view and based on what the games explain, they make absolutely no sense and much of the plot begins to fall apart. They were not written to be have some deep meaning but rather as a simple plot device. In the end, you just have to accept what the games tell you in blind faith in order to enjoy the stories. To be fair, all the FFs have these elements in their stories. This of course is just my personal opinion though...;)

Cloudane
04-19-2008, 01:31 AM
words

I know it's bad form to write "I agree" posts, so I'll do my best :p But basically, I couldn't have put it much better than that!

People over-analyse this game waaaaaaay too much, just like they do with other things. If you just accept things the way the writers say they are and stop nitpicking/analysing it's a much nicer experience - for the player, and for the rest of us.