PDA

View Full Version : After All That Trouble (Or My PS3 Has As Bad As Much Memory Problems As I Do)

The Ceej
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
So yeah. I got a PS3 today. It was the 80GB because the 60GB was unavailable. I've upgraded to software version 1.80 because that's the highest version I could get due to the fact I'm on dialup and I'm not downloading a 120MB file.

I bought the PS1/PS2 memory card reader, and it does a fine job of showing me what files I have on this card. I can't figure out how to transfer them to my virtual cards. This is what the PS3 instruction manual has to say on the topic:

To use saved data on a memory card (8MB) (for PlayStation®2) or a memory card, you must copy data to an internal memory card within the hard disk. You must use a memory card adaptor (sold separately) to copy the data.

1. Select (Memory Card Utility (PS/PS2)) under (Game) in the home menu and press the X button.

2. Connect the memory card adaptor to the system.

3. Insert the memory card that you want to copy in the adaptor.
The icon for (Memory Card (PS)) or (Memory Card (PS2)) is displayed.

4. Select the icon, and then press the X button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to copy the data.

I don't get any on-screen instructions. I get a list of the saves I have on said card. I'm doing exactly what the book is telling me to do. What is wrong about what it's telling me to do? How do I do this?

EDIT: I posted prematurely. I'm sorry. I played around with it. I was supposed to press the ^ button rather than the X button like the book told me, the lying stack of papers.

JKTrix
12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
/thread?

Glad you got it sorted out though.

The Ceej
12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah. It's sorted out now. I kind of wish I could delete the thread because it makes me look like a moron that can't figure out how to work a gaming system. The kind of moron who assumes the instruction manual is always right because they hired God himself to write it.

Yeah. Well, what are you gonna do?

Bolivar
12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
so the 80 gigs got backwards compatibility, right?

Slothy
12-03-2007, 09:25 PM
More than the 40GB model, but it's emulation so it's less than the 60GB.

Roto13
12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Doesn't the 40 gig model not have it at all? Or is that only in Europe?

The Ceej
12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
The discontinued 20 and 60GB models had hardware-driven backward compatibility. The 80GB has emulated backward compatibility which, as far as my current testing has done, isn't as bad as has been led on. It's not perfect, but I can deal with it. The 40GB model has no backward compatibility. Stay away from that one. Of course, I think the reason they did that is to sell more of the higher-priced 80GB models and have no plans to terminate backward compatibility. Only to disinclude it in the cheaper models. I mean, they're still updating the backward compatibility software. Now, if only I can get the latest version. Goddamn dialup. I have half a mind to sue the broadband companies for telling me it's not available in my area when I live in a metropolis.

Bolivar
12-05-2007, 09:29 PM
The discontinued 20 and 60GB models had hardware-driven backward compatibility. The 80GB has emulated backward compatibility which, as far as my current testing has done, isn't as bad as has been led on. It's not perfect, but I can deal with it. The 40GB model has no backward compatibility. Stay away from that one. Of course, I think the reason they did that is to sell more of the higher-priced 80GB models and have no plans to terminate backward compatibility. Only to disinclude it in the cheaper models. I mean, they're still updating the backward compatibility software. Now, if only I can get the latest version. Goddamn dialup. I have half a mind to sue the broadband companies for telling me it's not available in my area when I live in a metropolis.

i see... but when you say it's emulation... in what ways is that worse than full bc like the early models have? What's the difference between playing them on the newer models and an older one? Are there any games that are excluded?

Slothy
12-05-2007, 09:51 PM
The 80GB has backwards compatibility for a large number of PS2 games but not all, since it emulates. I can't remember exactly how many, but I think it was in the 1500-2000 title range. I also can't remember how compatible it is with PSX games, but I believe it's compatible with a fairly decent number. The 40GB does have emulated BC for PSX games, but no PS2 support. Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.

Also, with emulation, a lot of games work really well while some will encounter glitches. If BC matters to you in your PS3, then the 60GB model is the only way to go since it has nearly 100% compatibility with PSX and PS2 titles.

Bolivar
12-07-2007, 06:09 PM
The 80GB has backwards compatibility for a large number of PS2 games but not all, since it emulates. I can't remember exactly how many, but I think it was in the 1500-2000 title range. I also can't remember how compatible it is with PSX games, but I believe it's compatible with a fairly decent number. The 40GB does have emulated BC for PSX games, but no PS2 support. Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.

Also, with emulation, a lot of games work really well while some will encounter glitches. If BC matters to you in your PS3, then the 60GB model is the only way to go since it has nearly 100% compatibility with PSX and PS2 titles.

Yeah I think that's what I'm going to do. In addition to glitches and an incomplete library, does anyone else know the drawbacks to software emulation on the ps3, or specifically what the glitches do?

The Ceej
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
i see... but when you say it's emulation... in what ways is that worse than full bc like the early models have? What's the difference between playing them on the newer models and an older one? Are there any games that are excluded?

The emulation is not perfect. Nothing was intentionally excluded, but there are problems with certain games (i.e. glitches or [allegedly] incompatibility). They're continuing to work on this on a daily basis. Every now and then, they update the software (currently, they're up to 2.0) which, in addition to feature updates, fixes known glitches and adds compatibility to certain games. Their goal is to make the emulated backward compatibility perfect, though that will probably take some time.

Since Sony has moved to software emulation though, I'm really not sure why they don't simply offer PS2 support with that model.

Because they want to sell more of the 80GB. It's more expensive and therefore makes them more money. It certainly worked on me. I can't imagine it not working on anyone who's a big fan of their PS2 library.

And, Bolivar, yes, that is the only difference. Hard drive space and backward compatiblity. And of course, price, but that's understood.

I got someone telling me on another thread that my SIXAXIS controller won't rumble, even though the lady at Sony said it will and the only reason it's not rumbling now is that the software isn't compatible with it. She's sending me a softare update due to my being on dialup, so when I update the software, I'm going to put in a game that supports rumbling, put the controller on a desk next to a glass of water, and take a pic while it rumbles as proof. I trust Sony about Sony's products sooner than I'd trust Wikipedia about anything.

Slothy
12-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I got someone telling me on another thread that my SIXAXIS controller won't rumble, even though the lady at Sony said it will and the only reason it's not rumbling now is that the software isn't compatible with it. She's sending me a softare update due to my being on dialup, so when I update the software, I'm going to put in a game that supports rumbling, put the controller on a desk next to a glass of water, and take a pic while it rumbles as proof. I trust Sony about Sony's products sooner than I'd trust Wikipedia about anything.

This was covered to death in the other thread Ceej. The Sixaxis has never had the technology inside it to rumble. The new Dualshock 3's that are coming out are even slightly larger to be able to accommodate the rumble and motion sensing technology. You're waiting to receive a system update that not only do I already have, but I have a more recent version of, and I'll tell you straight up that controller of yours will not rumble. If you don't trust Wikipedia, then here's a link to the IGN story breaking the news of the Sixaxis controllers name: IGN: SIXAXIS Official (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/736/736932p1.html)
Note the part about the controller not supporting rumble in the first paragraph. This is the last time I'm going to bother trying to refute you though. If you don't believe a news story from a credible media source, or a guy with a more recent version of the firmware than you're getting in the mail, then you are going to have to see it and be disappointed for yourself I guess.

The Ceej
12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
First of all, you don't have a later software than what I'm getting. I'm getting the latest. The best you have is the same.

Second, that article is over a year old. They could have included rumble in the newer models in the last year. Just because yours doesn't have it, doesn't mean models that came out after yours don't have it. The lady at Sony said it supported rumble and had the parts. Just watch for the pic. I'll expect an apology when I post it.

Roto13
12-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Shake it. Nothing moves on the inside. There's no rumble feature in there. That's what the Dualshock 3 is for. The lady you talked to on the phone probably said that the firmware update would allow your PS3 to support the upcoming Dualshock 3, which does rumble.

Bolivar
12-09-2007, 02:58 AM
why doesn't everybody just chill out and we'll see what happens when he gets it.

The Ceej
12-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Okay, Roto. I have the update. I have the pictures. Sorry for the blurry images, but I had to take them quickly while the controller was still... Wait... It did? But you said it didn't have the parts.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/PS3Rumble-1.gif
But what is it doing here?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/PS3Rumble-2.gif
And here?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/hi1fan/PS3Rumble-3.gif
Oh, my God. Here too?

Well. What have you to say? Especially since I got water on my desk due to the fact you needed pictures as proof.

Bolivar
12-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Let me be the first to congratulate you, Ceej. You are worthy of much gloating and you have every right to shove this down their throats.

Roto13
12-09-2007, 07:17 AM
That's not very convincing.

The Ceej
12-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Yeah? Well, what are you gonna do? You wouldn't believe it if you were holding it while it rumbled.

Slothy
12-09-2007, 03:11 PM
First of all, you don't have a later software than what I'm getting. I'm getting the latest. The best you have is the same.

I recall you saying you were getting the 2.0 update in the mail. They actually came out with 2.01 a week or two later.

And I'm with Roto to be honest; three blurry pictures that don't show anything but some water moving aren't convincing. If you could take some video of your controller moving then I'd believe it. In fact, the fact that the controller stayed in the same spot has me even more skeptical. Anyone who ever let their Dual Shock 2 sit on a hard surface while vibrating would know the things can move half way across the room in a few seconds.

I suppose the question I should be asking right now though is where do you live, and just as importantly, what does the top of your controller say? If it says Sixaxis then it isn't going to rumble. If it says Dualshock, then congratulations, your PS3 actually came with a controller that can rumble. As far as I know though, only Japanese PS3's are packed with them right now. Something this article confirms: IGN: Testing The DualShock 3 (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/836/836073p1.html)

Karellen
12-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm going to believe those photos are real, simply because I don't want to think that someone went to the trouble of fabricating evidence to win an internet argument.

Although really, a video probably would have been a better way to go.

demondude
12-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm going to believe those photos are real, simply because I don't want to think that someone went to the trouble of fabricating evidence to win an internet argument.

Although really, a video probably would have been a better way to go.

Trust me you don't know the Ceej.

The Ceej
12-10-2007, 12:00 AM
I already told everyone half a million times that I'm on dialup. So, even if I did replace my camcorder since I was robbed in 2004, it would still be impossible to give you a video. However, if you wish to mail me a camcorder, have me record it, and mail it back, I'd be more than willing to do this. Then, you could post it for me. But, you probably aren't willing to do this for the obvious reason and for the reason that it would prove you wrong and you can't have that. The controller is SIXAXIS and it rumbles. Deal with it.

EDIT: I read your article, which seems to make what I'm saying invalid, but the controller says, "SIXAXIS" on it and it does vibrate. While, this may seem weird, I'm sure there is a logical explanation for it. However, I can't be bothered to find it. All I care is that my controller vibrates.

Roto13
12-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Unless your controller says Dualshock 3 and you imported it from Japan/brought it from the future, there's no reason to believe you.

The Ceej
12-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Yeah. Well, I'm done with you, Roto. Your refusal to believe me doesn't change what is, so I no longer care what you believe. This isn't the first time you've attempted to purposely piss me off and I don't have to argue with you.

Roto13
12-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Alright, fine.

You're still lying, though. Not just to me, but to everyone here.