PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 vs. Xbox 360

Comet
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
I DON'T KNOW WHICH CONSOLE TO GET! HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Comment on the games, the graphics, the features the console has, and if you own one, or both consoles, give it a rating and tell me if you are satisfied with it.

escobert
12-05-2007, 05:17 PM
360 has many more games worth getting at this point.

Slothy
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM

Based on exclusives, I have to disagree. Aside from Halo 3, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect, what triple A titles does it really have (assuming your someone who considers Halo to be a triple A title to begin with)? I'm not counting Gears of War either since it is on the PC now with more content. By the same token, the PS3 has every multi-platform game the 360 does, with some great exclusives of it's own such as Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank, and more to come in the next year, chief among them being MGS4. Both systems have about the same number of worthwhile exclusives out there right now, so the only way for you to figure out which console you want is to look at the games for each and make your choice.

escobert
12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Honestly I really don't know :p I don't play anything that isn't PC :p

Slothy
12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Can't blame you there. Most of the best titles on the 360 and some of the best on the PS3 are on the PC and better for it.

XxSephirothxX
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Moved this to general gaming for you, though it'll probably just devolve into a flame war pretty quickly. :p

And I'll put in my two cents. I think Xbox Live is the superior and better integrated online service, but you'll pay 50 dollars a year for it. If you would be into online gaming, think about that.

If you're here because you only like Final Fantasy and just want to play RPGs, don't get a 360. It has a few, but it is definitely more western-audience focused, and thus has more shooters than RPGs.

Graphics wise, I think the PS3 will eventually start overpowering the 360, mostly thanks to the harddrive coming standard and the larger storage option. Currently, most games that come out on both systems have reportedly had very slightly better graphics on the 360, and usually a solid framerate.

Also, having been out for a year longer, the Xbox Live Arcade has a much wider variety of really fun games to choose from, though some of them are a little expensive at $10.

Finally, and probably most importantly, here is a list of Metacritic scores for Xbox 360 and PS3 games, in descending order.

Xbox 360 (http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/), Playstation 3 (http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/)

Aerith's Knight
12-05-2007, 06:10 PM
i think if you want to play FF RPG's you should buy a PS3.. but if you dont care that much(theres always enchanted arms, oblivion, eternal sonata) you should really get an xbox 360..

im not saying anything against ps3, but its just that thats relativily new, programmers generally lean more towards the easier programming of the 360, by the time the console graphics go out of date, the next generation would already have arrived, more games are available now and the biggest bonus of all.. its way cheaper.

hope it helps

The Ceej
12-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I got a PS3 on Monday and I've very happy with it. I would recommend it if you're willing to pay the money. I got $100 off the price, so basically I got the 80GB at the 40GB price.

Don't worry about the fact that the PS3 is trailing in the ratings right now. As soon as the Final Fantasy XIII games come out (which is soon, right?), PS3 will shoot up to #1 and no one will want Wii anymore. The system containing the Final Fantasy games has always been the number one system throughout history, so why would that change now? Besides, PS3 can do that thing the wavy stick can do on the Wii if you really care enough. The controller is motion sensitive. However, I just turn that feature off.

The answer to the question about rumbling controller:
The controller is designed to rumble, but the software that comes with the PS3 doesn't support that. The latest software, which you should use if you're going to buy it, does. If you can't download it, Sony will gladly mail it to you. Then, any game which supports rumbling controller will work with the rumbling controller. I know there was a question around here some time ago about that.

JKTrix
12-05-2007, 06:30 PM
--edit since I didn't see Ceej's post before: Really, the Wii is not competing with the PS3 and 360, so don't worry about Wii being #1. It's not likely to change, even with Final Fantasy. Wii is overlapping into a different audience now who doesnt' care about FF. Anyway, this topic is not about the Wii.

As for rumble, the Dualshock 3 is only out in Japan right now. Some of the PS3's current software is already rumble compatible. Future software releases will likely have automatic system updates included on the disc.--

[Topic]

For Hardware: If you can find a 60GB PS3, I'd say that should be top priority. The 80GB's backwards compatibility isn't terrible, but it's better safe than sorry. ('Course if you don't care about BC, it's a moot point.) This "+1 point of desperation" also puts it above the 360 because of the current 360's tendency to crap out (I'm on my 2nd screwed up 360 now). That's "-1 point of faulty faultiness". If you intended on getting both, by time you save up enough money to get a 360 after getting the PS3, the 360 should hopefully be o-k.

As for Software right now, I'd go with 360. If you like shooters even a little bit, there are a good chunk of great ones on the system. Some that the PS3 do not have yet, aside from the obvious exclusives. Since it has been out longer, there are a larger number of quality games on the system than are available on the PS3. Using Azar's Metacritic list as anecdotal evidence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence), PS3 has 37 games rated '80 and above', while the 360 has 84 games. Many of the games may not be to your liking, and a selection of the games in the list are download-only games, but the numbers are still there for your perusal. 360 simply has a higher number of quality games right now.

Online stuff: Xbox live is better in my opinion, but you do have to pay for it. PSN is ok for what it does right now and the price. I haven't been able to get into a good game of Resistance or Warhawk (thereby having wasted money on the game) to be able to comment properly but I've downloaded videos and demos of stuff from their (incredibly slow) service. I doubt the game connection thing is their fault, it's my geographic location and the quality of my home internet.

For me, reccomending a system to buy is a split. 360 has a clear, immediate software advantage, but the increasing rarity of a 'fully backwards compatible' PS3 and the potential (maybe inevitable (http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=806)) death of your 360 makes it difficult for me to wholeheartedly recommend the 360. So hopefully my opinions here will help you decide.

Slothy
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
I haven't been able to get into a good game of Resistance or Warhawk (thereby having wasted money on the game) to be able to comment properly but I've downloaded videos and demos of stuff from their (incredibly slow) service. I doubt the game connection thing is their fault, it's my geographic location and the quality of my home internet.

I'd say the speed of your downloads must be a result of location/quality of your connection. I have my 60GB connected to our home wireless network, and I swear the thing downloads faster than my bloody laptop can usually manage 95% of the time. I also never have any lag in any game that I've played except Fight Night, though that could just be because of a poor porting job by EA (I doubt EA cutting corners would strike anyone as surprising).

Kanshisha
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
As rumors say you can eventually start downloading games and demos for the ps3 console, but on the negative side, it can also couse harmful viruses into the ps3.

All i say is it all depends what type of games you enjoy playing

Dreddz
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd recommend getting a PS3. Based solely on the fact that its future lineup is the strongest of all three consoles without question. Halo has already come and gone with the 360, and Mario and Zelda for the Wii. None of Sony's big hitters have been released yet, and while its definately clear that the 360 and Wii have stronger librarys as of now, it doesnt mean the PS3 has no games at all.

In terms of graphics, there both pretty identical as of now. Im going to say that the PS3 has the better graphic capabilities though. Ratchet & Clank was a taster of the things to come from the system. Im going to wager that FFXIII and God of War III are going to floor anything the 360 can do.

Heres my advice. Buy a PS3. Buy a copy of The Orange Box. Now wait till 2008 to come by. You'll thank me later.

Kanshisha
12-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Lol, good point he's got there.

XxSephirothxX
12-05-2007, 07:12 PM
As rumors say you can eventually start downloading games and demos for the ps3 console, but on the negative side, it can also couse harmful viruses into the ps3.

All i say is it all depends what type of games you enjoy playing
That's not a rumor, you can do that now. :p And you're not going to get a virus on your PS3.

The Ceej
12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
As for rumble, the Dualshock 3 is only out in Japan right now. Some of the PS3's current software is already rumble compatible. Future software releases will likely have automatic system updates included on the disc.--

I think you're mistaken. My controller is rumble compatible. I'll prove it after my disc with the software update comes in the mail. The lady I spoke to at Sony confirmed this with me. That as soon as I install the 2.0 software update, my controller will rumble. The controller is hardware.

Roto13
12-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Get a 360 if you want to play good games right now. Get a PS3 if you want to play them in the future. And you like your consoles to not overheat and die.

Slothy
12-05-2007, 09:08 PM

I think you're mistaken. My controller is rumble compatible. I'll prove it after my disc with the software update comes in the mail. The lady I spoke to at Sony confirmed this with me. That as soon as I install the 2.0 software update, my controller will rumble. The controller is hardware.

You're mistaken, and the person you talked to at Sony was either mistaken or you misunderstood them. The Sixaxis controller, which is the only PS3 controller sold outside Japan right now, doesn't have rumble. A large number of titles have been updated to be rumble compatible, and many recent titles are compatible out of the case, but your controller will not be shaking until the Dual Shock 3 is released and you buy one.

The Ceej
12-05-2007, 09:16 PM
We'll see about that when the update comes.

XxSephirothxX
12-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Sixaxis doesn't have rumble, but the Dual Shock 3 does. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixaxis#SIXAXIS)

No software update can make a controller without rumble parts in it rumble. :monster:

You should also note whether or not you have interest in HD movies. Do you have an HDTV and an interest in Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? That makes a difference, as well.

Really, you should just tell us what kind of games you're interested in, or simply look up the exclusives coming to both consoles in the next couple years. :monster:

Pete for President
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I bought a PS3 last week for the following reasons;

- Xbox360 seems more online-oriented than PS3 and online-gaming just isn't my thing.

- PS3 gets more games made by asian developers, since x360 isn't doing well in asia at all.

- I always have these images of the two consoles;

PS3: style, more artistic and story-based
X360: action, explosions and less story based.

Note: that's just the image in my head and therefor not nescesserily (sp?) true.

Old Manus
12-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Just go with the console that most of your friends have, for more multiplayer action. There's plenty of time to buy both if you're that hard up.

Of course, this assumes that you actually have friends.

Roto13
12-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Besides, PS3 can do that thing the wavy stick can do on the Wii if you really care enough.

Except the PS3 uses tilt sensing while the Wii uses actual motion sensing.

IGN: E3 2006: Seeing The Difference (http://wii.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html)

Comet
12-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not really interesed in online playing, to tell you the truth. I'm interested in third person shooters, adventure/action games and fantasy/RPG games. I know that once I get one of these consoles the first game I am getting is Oblivion. I really want Final Fantasy XIII, so at the moment I'm leaning towards the PS3 as my choice.

Madame Adequate
12-05-2007, 11:44 PM

Based on exclusives, I have to disagree. Aside from Halo 3, Dead Rising, and Mass Effect, what triple A titles does it really have (assuming your someone who considers Halo to be a triple A title to begin with)? I'm not counting Gears of War either since it is on the PC now with more content. By the same token, the PS3 has every multi-platform game the 360 does, with some great exclusives of it's own such as Uncharted: Drakes Fortune, Warhawk, Resistance, Motorstorm, Ratchet & Clank, and more to come in the next year, chief among them being MGS4. Both systems have about the same number of worthwhile exclusives out there right now, so the only way for you to figure out which console you want is to look at the games for each and make your choice.

Any two of those three games justify a 360. All three of them make it near-necessary.

Slothy
12-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Any two of those three games justify a 360. All three of them make it near-necessary.

It's a matter of opinion. For my money, I wouldn't buy a 360 for Dead Rising and/or Mass Effect alone (especially since I didn't think KOTOR was as amazing as some other people), and with Orange Box on my PC, I'd never touch Halo 3. In fact, I find the first two so slow and floaty as to be almost unplayable, so there's another reason for me not to care about the third. My point was really only that the PS3 has easily as many great exclusives as the 360. In fact, when it comes to being just plain fun, Uncharted tops anything I've played on the 360. If Portal hadn't been released this year it would be my game of the year.

Aerith's Knight
12-06-2007, 01:30 AM
cmon this is becoming a fanboy war.. its supposed to be helping a guy deciding..

just one more thing: about the death of xbox 360.. its true.. died twice with me.. but i got a new one in 10 days twice.. and the garantee(i dunno if i tranlated it right) to a new one is still 3 years.. because every time you get a new one.. the garuantee is reset(new xbox, new garuantee)

and FFXI is on 360.. so it does have one :)..

to be honest.. i only bought a 360 because it came out 3 years ago.. my first console was a playstation(duuh FF7).. but i just couldnt wait.. and of course the ps3 really turned out expensive..

although with the current status of the dollar.. it would relatively cost me 400 bucks(for a playstation 3 80 gig muahhaha *evil*) .. euro rulezz

Roto13
12-06-2007, 01:39 AM
to be honest.. i only bought a 360 because it came out 3 years ago.

Two years ago, actually. :P I don't know why that matters, but I felt like correcting it anyway. xP

stalpho slayer
12-06-2007, 02:04 AM
360 all the way. halo 3 and oblivion are too majorly supreme games

YouTube - Halo 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkoWLQVpsk)

The Shoeless Hobo
12-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Firstly, let me state that it is pure logic to buy a 360 now as it is cheaper and has better games now in comparison for paying more for a PS3 with good games coming out in the future. Obviously, if you really wanted a PS3 you would just wait for a price drop and some decent games to be released, and if you're lucky it will come in a nice bundle pack.

Secondly, i have owned both consoles (down own either at the moment, but I am picking up a 360 again for christmas). I purchased the 360 when it first came out and play it strong for a year and a half. I then decided to sell it for a PS3 as there were no good games coming out for a few months. I then bought a PS3 and sold it two weeks later. I now regret that because if i had just held on to it for a few months longer i would have made more money due to the 40gb version not having backwards compatabily, therefore i higher demand for 60gb version (in my country, at least).

Thirdly, I would like to say I am a sony fan. I loved the PSX and the PS2. The PS3 just doesn't have what the previous consoles had. The 360 has it all. I have never played an online game before, the 360 was my first experience and it was great. I would finish a great game then spend countless hours playing it online against my mates.

Everything about the 360 is great, everything. I loved it and i regret selling it, i guess i just wanted to try something new. But alas, i will be back in the game soon.

The PS3 to me was a rushed console, that i got little enjoyment out of. I spent more time playing my 2 Blu rays that i owned - Rocky and 300. ;)

Raebus
12-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I don't see the point in owning a console that will have the main the games in the future. If I were you I'd get a x box 360 now, the console that already has great games and perhaps trade it in or buy a ps3 when it's cheaper and when the main games have been released.

Slothy
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
You know, I really start to wonder where the idea that the 360 has better games now comes from when I essentially list off a half dozen great PS3 exclusives on the first page of the thread. The 360 had more great games when it came out, but right now, the PS3 has just as many. I'm not saying this to start some fan boy war or anything, it's simply the truth. Now I'm not saying those games are necessarily what everyone has to love, anymore than I'd say the 360's exclusives are things everyone should play and enjoy. I am trying to say that the argument that the 360 has the better library doesn't hold much water anymore.

phbr
12-06-2007, 11:54 AM
You're all begging the question (http://begthequestion.info/). You state that the 360 has the better games without giving any evidence to that. Vivi22 already addressed this rumor but you obviously ignore it for some reason.

The PS3 to me was a rushed console, that i got little enjoyment out of.Looking at the 360's failure rate, I can't understand how you could say the PS3 was rushed in any possible way.

360 all the way. halo 3 and oblivion are too majorly supreme gamesOblivion is available for the PS3 as well and I prefer CoD4 over Halo3 but that's my personal opinion. But I think it's safe to say that both games are equally good console shooters.

JKTrix
12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
You're all begging the question (http://begthequestion.info/). You state that the 360 has the better games without giving any evidence to that. Vivi22 already addressed this rumor but you obviously ignore it for some reason.

Like Vivi mentioned, what you think is 'better' is all a matter of Opinion. However as far as proof, or "anecdotal evidence" as I said in my post on this very thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/hsubah-ruhsu-mushu/112769-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-a.html#post2372720), there are a higher number of high-rated games on the 360 than there are on the PS3. Azar posted links (http://forums.eyesonff.com/hsubah-ruhsu-mushu/112769-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-a.html#post2372664) to the Metacritic scores for PS3 and 360 games that I also referred to in my post. 'Course you can't really take opinions (reviews) as cold hard fact, but the numbers are right there.

I'll post them here again, so that you can look.

XBOX 360 in Descending order (http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/)

PLAYSTATION 3 in Descending order (http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/)

I didn't bother pouring over them in detail for my previous post, all I did was look for the last game to have a score of '80'. The 360 has 84 games rated 80+, PS3 has 37.

Someone is welcome to subtract whatever multiplatform and downloadable games both have to get a better idea of exclusives, I'm not willing to do that myself. But really, 84 is more than twice the number of 37, so even if you take out all those games I'd imagine the 360 would still have a higher number.

Perhaps you folks are more interested in the PS3 exclusives than the 360 exclusives which makes you think the PS3 has as many 'great exclusives' as the 360 does, which is understandable from your perspective. But I don't see it that way, and the numbers don't seem to match up.

I'm really not bashing the PS3 (I wouldn't bash something that I own), but since the 360 has been out longer it is bound to have more games--quality or otherwise.

It is all a matter of opinion though, as you say.

-----------------
As far as this goes (http://forums.eyesonff.com/hsubah-ruhsu-mushu/112769-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-a.html#post2372743), I did mention that I know my geographical connection isn't optimal, so the game connection thing was expected. I experienced that from time to time on Xbox Live as well as some PC games I play. However, the downloads appear to be extremely slow when compared to XBLA for me. Location or whatever, it shouldn't take me 3 hours to download a 100MB file. I don't download stuff that much on the PS3 so it's not that big of a deal, but when I do want to download something it takes forever. I don't even do the auto system updates anymore, I just download it in 10-15 minutes on the PC then stick it in USB.

Loony BoB
12-06-2007, 04:10 PM
It is, of course, absolutely down to what kind of games you want to play and how long you want to persist with your console.

If you want to play RPGs etc, particularly Final Fantasy XIII, I believe the correct thing to do would be to get a PS3 when the better of these games come out for it. Don't get it now - wait. The price will be lower then.

If you want to play shooter games, particularly Halo 3, I believe the correct thing to do would be to buy a 360 as soon as possible. The 360, being aimed at the shooter-loving Western audience, has a wonderful set of quality shooters to choose from.

If you are in it for the short haul and believe you will eventually buy the other console regardless of which one you buy now, go for the 360. You'll have more short term fun as there is a larger number of games available for the 360 at the moment.

If you are in it for the long haul and do not expect to purchase the other console later on, I would tentiatively say that you should go for the PS3. I believe, based on what I've read, watched and heard, that the PS3 will have a better number of games available over the long term.

If you are looking for any different kinds of games, you will have to let us know. I imagine that the PS3 would be better for platformers. Not sure on the rest.

Let's look at the top 20 out of each of those lists, though.

Xbox 360
1. Shooter
2. Shooter
3. Shooter
4. Shooter
5. Western Style RPG
6. Shooter
7. Music
8. Music
9. Action / Adventure / Shooter / Western Style RPG (!?!?)
10. Fighter
11. Shooter
12. Racing
13. 2D Platformer
14. Shooter
15. Shooter
16. Racing
17. Racing
18. Puzzle
19. Western Style RPG (#5 is an expansion to this game)
20. Action / Adventure / Shooter (!?)

PS3
1. Shooter
2. Wester Style RPG
3. Music
4. Platformer
5. Action / Platformer
6. Action / Adventure
7. Shooter
8. Sports
9. Shooter
10. Fighter
11. Shooter
12. Skating
13. Racing
14. Flight (Combat)
15. Arcade
16. Music
17. Shooter
18. Racing
19. Fighter
20. Music

...I think that should hopefully give an idea on just what kind of choices you get for the kinds of games for each console. Forget what they're called - apparently these are the better games for the consoles, which in the end is what probably counts. If you're into shooting, then there should not be any second thoughts on which console to get. If you're not into shooting at all then all those 80/90+ rated games on the 360 may just amount to diddlysquat for you.

Slothy
12-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I didn't bother pouring over them in detail for my previous post, all I did was look for the last game to have a score of '80'. The 360 has 84 games rated 80+, PS3 has 37.

Someone is welcome to subtract whatever multiplatform and downloadable games both have to get a better idea of exclusives, I'm not willing to do that myself. But really, 84 is more than twice the number of 37, so even if you take out all those games I'd imagine the 360 would still have a higher number.

Well, I have nothing to do until my next exam really, which is 12 days away, so I might as well just to give a little perspective. I decided to not include downloadable games, since many are available in other forms, and let's face it, I don't think anyone is buying a 360 or PS3 specifically because of downloadable titles. They're a nice bonus, but they don't sell consoles.

That in mind, the list of 360 exclusives that rate 80% or higher on Metacritic is 14. In fact, it loses all but two of it's top ten just by ignoring multi-platform titles. The PS3's top ten fares a little better with 3 of those titles being exclusive, but has 7 overall that are rated above 80% and are exclusive, non-downloadable titles.

For the sake of argument, I'll post the list of games for each that made the cut:

Xbox 360:
1 Halo 3 2007 94
2 Mass Effect 2007 91
3 Forza Motorsport 2 2007 90
4 Project Gotham Racing 3 2005 88
5 Project Gotham Racing 4 2007 85
6 Dead or Alive 4 2005 85
7 Dead Rising 2006 85
8 Viva Pinata 2006 84
9 Crackdown 2007 83
10 Saints Row 2006 81
11 Perfect Dark Zero 2005 81
12 Moto GP 06 2006 80
13 Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation 2007 80
14 FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage 2007 80

PS3:
1 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 2007 89
2 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 2007 89
3 Resistance: Fall of Man 2006 86
4 MotorStorm (JPN Import Version) 2006 84
5 Warhawk 2007 84
6 SingStar 2007 84
7 Hot Shots Golf 5 2008 82

Now obviously the 360 has more according to this list, but given a year head start, it's really not doing as well compared to the PS3 as the raw Metacritic ranking would lead people to believe. It's up to the individual gamer to decide which lineup they like more, but since the majority of the best games on both systems are actually on both systems, I don't think you could go just by these lists. Future titles has to factor in, and I think the PS3's best titles are still to come.

For my money, the list of PS3 games above appeals to me more if only because it strikes me as slightly more diverse than the 360 list.

As far as this goes (http://forums.eyesonff.com/hsubah-ruhsu-mushu/112769-playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-a.html#post2372743), I did mention that I know my geographical connection isn't optimal, so the game connection thing was expected. I experienced that from time to time on Xbox Live as well as some PC games I play. However, the downloads appear to be extremely slow when compared to XBLA for me. Location or whatever, it shouldn't take me 3 hours to download a 100MB file. I don't download stuff that much on the PS3 so it's not that big of a deal, but when I do want to download something it takes forever. I don't even do the auto system updates anymore, I just download it in 10-15 minutes on the PC then stick it in USB.

Regardless of geographical location, the PS3 downloads shouldn't be taking you so long, and I'm not sure why they would if the 360 downloads don't. Downloading firmware updates doesn't even take my PS3 10 minutes to be honest. I'm not sure why it would take yours so long. Are you using a wireless network? If so, then it may have to do with your network settings or router. Have you tried running a direct line from the PS3 to the modem?

Hazzard
12-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Buy both, you're a very rich man, ehh...?

XxSephirothxX
12-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I think it's also silly to discount any games that are released on the 360/PC. On a technicality, they are not exclusive. But they ARE exclusive to consoles, and a lot of people who are shelling out a lot for a console aren't also going to be able to play those games on a high-end gaming PC, if they play PC games at all.

So even if they're not technically exclusive, games like Bioshock and Gears of War won't be available on the PS3.

Now, to answer you specifically:

I'm not really interesed in online playing, to tell you the truth. I'm interested in third person shooters, adventure/action games and fantasy/RPG games. I know that once I get one of these consoles the first game I am getting is Oblivion. I really want Final Fantasy XIII, so at the moment I'm leaning towards the PS3 as my choice.
Do you just like third-person shooters, or do you enjoy first-person as well?

Here are some for those genres that you'd probably like right off the bat:
PS3: Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Heavenly Sword
360: Gears of War, Crackdown, Lost Planet, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox1), Hitman: Blood Money, Kameo, Tomb Raider: Legend, Gun.

Again, some of the 360 games aren't technically "exclusive" because they can be found on PC, will be on the PS3 in the future (Lost Planet) or can be found on older consoles (Hitman, Tomb Raider). And that was just a short list of action/adventure games that aren't available on both consoles; there are obviously tons of third-party ones.

Personally, I would advise against buying a PS3 due to a desire for FFXIII--I can't see it coming out until 2009. There's a lot of great stuff out now, and coming out way before then.

Gnostic Yevon
12-08-2007, 03:27 AM
I guess it depends on what you want.

For the RPG fan, numbers-wise, you want a ps3. You'll have Suikoden VI and probably 7 and 8, Final Fantasy 13-16, Probably Disgea, .Hack, Breath Of Fire, Atilier Atlas, Kingdom Hearts, etc. The Xbox will have a few KOTOR and Jade Empire, Oblivion and probably the sequel(s).

For Shooters and GTA style games, Xbox wins. Halo, Half-Life, GTA. Probably for hack'n'slashes as well. Xbox has Ninja Gaiden, Assasin's Creed, etc. Ps3 probably gets Dynasty Warrior (though it might not be exclusive).

Puzzles: either is fine. Xbox already has Katamari and Spore, Viva Pinata. Ps3 has Lumines.

You know what kind of gamer you are. Rather than tell you which is better, I'll say it this way -- for certain gamers, ps3 is better, for others xbox is better.

Roto13
12-08-2007, 03:47 AM
FF will probably only go up to 15, but at this rate that will mean there will be 12 Final Fantasy games for the PS3. :P

Bolivar
12-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Screw the exclusivities, PS3 has Linux!!! You can play ROMS on your ps3!!! You can play XBOX360 on your Ps3!!!

alright, i don't know about that, but it is a pretty cool thing. I'll be playing Final Fantasy IV-VI and/or Shining Force I & II while I'm waiting for MGS4 to come out. Maybe, I don't know. But I do think the ability to use Linux opens up ALOT of possibilities, and I'm glad it has wireless out of the box, as its hard to use systems on hardwire at my school. I also want to see what FFXII HD looks like...

Spammerman
12-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Ps3 probably gets Dynasty Warrior (though it might not be exclusive).
Dynasty Warriors 5, 5 empires, and 6 is already on 360.

Northcrest
12-09-2007, 01:58 PM
I'd get a PS3 so far not many games have came out for it but i can guarantee that by next year u will love having it.

Slothy
12-11-2007, 01:05 AM
I think it's also silly to discount any games that are released on the 360/PC. On a technicality, they are not exclusive. But they ARE exclusive to consoles, and a lot of people who are shelling out a lot for a console aren't also going to be able to play those games on a high-end gaming PC, if they play PC games at all.

So even if they're not technically exclusive, games like Bioshock and Gears of War won't be available on the PS3.

I think it's a completely fair comparison. Leaving in 360 & PC titles that aren't on the PS3 is hardly fair really. Of the 360's top ten, the only games that are on PC and 360 only are Bioshock and Gears of War. Gears of War I'll grant you, is a major title, as is Bioshock, but Bioshock is a PC style game through and through. More importantly, the PC is a viable option for many of these games, and in the case of games like Bioshock, or Call of Duty 4, the best option for anyone who can run them simply because of the superior interface. Anyone with a Direct X7 machine should be able to run these games. If you have a Direct X8 machine, then even better. Unless its been five years since you last upgraded your PC, then odds are you can run them. They may not be as pretty as the 360 version in those cases, but they'll still look good, and you'd get the better gameplay experience. Taking them out in my comparison was appropriate if you ask me, since there is still a very viable option for playing them if you choose a PS3 over the 360. I felt that my comparison should only include dedicated exclusives, since those are what really drive console sales in the long run.

And odds are if someone doesn't have a machine that can run these PC games, and doesn't care about PC gaming, then these games probably aren't the type that appeal to them at all anyway. It may not be true of everyone, but I don't know anyone who wants Call of Duty 4 who isn't willing to pass over it on consoles in favour of a superior playing PC version, even if it's not until a little while down the road when they get a new PC.

For Shooters and GTA style games, Xbox wins. Halo, Half-Life, GTA. Probably for hack'n'slashes as well. Xbox has Ninja Gaiden, Assasin's Creed, etc. Ps3 probably gets Dynasty Warrior (though it might not be exclusive).

With the exception of Halo and Ninja Gaiden 2, every game you mentioned here is on the PS3.

stalpho slayer
12-13-2007, 02:39 AM

I think it's a completely fair comparison. Leaving in 360 & PC titles that aren't on the PS3 is hardly fair really. Of the 360's top ten, the only games that are on PC and 360 only are Bioshock and Gears of War. Gears of War I'll grant you, is a major title, as is Bioshock, but Bioshock is a PC style game through and through. More importantly, the PC is a viable option for many of these games, and in the case of games like Bioshock, or Call of Duty 4, the best option for anyone who can run them simply because of the superior interface. Anyone with a Direct X7 machine should be able to run these games. If you have a Direct X8 machine, then even better. Unless its been five years since you last upgraded your PC, then odds are you can run them. They may not be as pretty as the 360 version in those cases, but they'll still look good, and you'd get the better gameplay experience. Taking them out in my comparison was appropriate if you ask me, since there is still a very viable option for playing them if you choose a PS3 over the 360. I felt that my comparison should only include dedicated exclusives, since those are what really drive console sales in the long run.

And odds are if someone doesn't have a machine that can run these PC games, and doesn't care about PC gaming, then these games probably aren't the type that appeal to them at all anyway. It may not be true of everyone, but I don't know anyone who wants Call of Duty 4 who isn't willing to pass over it on consoles in favour of a superior playing PC version, even if it's not until a little while down the road when they get a new PC.

With the exception of Halo and Ninja Gaiden 2, every game you mentioned here is on the PS3.

not to mention lost planet and crackdown

Yew-Yevon
12-13-2007, 06:15 PM
If you want to talk about PC console exclusives look no further than Unreal tournament 3, (a PC and PS3 title only.) The PS3 version looks every bit as good as the PC version.

Aerith's Knight
12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
If you want to talk about PC councol exclusives look no farther than Unreal tournament 3 PC and PS3 only. And the PS3 virsion looks every bit as good as the PC virsion.

first you get to learn how to spell, then you get to discuss important topics :)

Roto13
12-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Or you could learn to punctuate and capitalize. :P Welcome to the internet. Nobody likes a Grammar Nazi.

(Also, "Which console is better" is the least important topic in the world.)

demondude
12-13-2007, 06:29 PM
If you want to talk about PC councol exclusives look no farther than Unreal tournament 3 PC and PS3 only. And the PS3 virsion looks every bit as good as the PC virsion.

first you get to learn how to spell, then you get to discuss important topics :)

He got the message across though.

Yew-Yevon
12-13-2007, 06:40 PM
fixed. By the way...just how imortant do you think this topic realy is?

Old Manus
12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm not saying this to start some fan boy war or anythingGood work.

Rye
12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Gaming consoles are serious business.

I'm getting a 360 for Christmas because it's cheaper, it has better games (imo), and I like Xbox Live. That's all.

Psychotic
12-13-2007, 08:12 PM
I've been a major Sony fan for ten years. I grew up with the PlayStation. I loved its games and its franchises. But when it came to the new generation, I decided that although MGS and FF are great series, I wanted to try new games. Halo, Gears of War, and the game I bought my console for, Dead Rising. :love: Three months on, I can say I think it was an absolutely great decision on my part. Xbox Live is a glorious, GLORIOUS thing, and I had never anticipated it being like that. I still have a faint glimmer of hope that Konami will release MGS4's subsistence equivalent for the 360, but I'm not expecting it. Still, I'm more than happy with what I have!